• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

Emitan

mxx8SWP.jpg

Really, really enjoyed this. Would almost be my favorite but I think I preferred using Risky's items in Pirate's Curse over transformations because its much faster and fluid.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
That's an amazing title.

Unused alternate dance posted by psxphile in the other thread (based on one of the dances in the original Shantae GBC):

LyD7Csy.gif

Why? Because it's awesome. Here's hoping for it to show up in the DLC.

Hmm, I wonder if it was due to the depth error on the feet, since the pants would be going through that ankle. Maybe both feet are on the same layer and it's a technical problem?

Psxphile

Hmm, I wonder if it was due to the depth error on the feet, since the pants would be going through that ankle. Maybe both feet are on the same layer and it's a technical problem?

They probably dropped it completely before the final pass that would have fixed things like that.

I don't know how you would notice that as half the time the "sprite" is smaller on-screen than the ripped graphics suggests.

EDIT: is it really a mistake, though? The pant's poofyness at the ankles belies the actual contours of her legs.

They probably dropped it completely before the final pass that would have fixed things like that.

I don't know how you would notice that as half the time the "sprite" is smaller on-screen than the ripped graphics suggests.

EDIT: is it really a mistake, though? The pant's poofyness at the ankles belies the actual contours of her legs.
There's literally nothing coming out of her right pant leg.

kotodama

Darn it, I liked that animation. Now I can't unsee that error. Thanks lol.

aett

xJ8smFa.png

Risky mode when?

I've played all the games so I know that the dances came first, but it really seems strange to give Shantae a much faster, streamlined, and - IMO - fun gameplay style, only to take it away for the next game.

Okay, sure, that's Risky's thing. Eventually, she'll be in the game and all will be well. But the developers are still aware that Shantae has to constantly stop and change forms, which can really kill your flow through each level. There has to be some kind of compromise. Maybe she automatically turns into a mermaid when she touches water, and human again when she jumps onto land? Maybe she turns into the
harpy
whenever you
double- or triple-jump
. That keeps the transformations, but loses the dances... I hope they find a way to streamline the way the main character controls for future games.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Darn it, I liked that animation. Now I can't unsee that error. Thanks lol.

I was actually debating whether to say anything for that reason. Sorry, world.

I really do think the left leg's poofy bottom is obscuring where the right ankle should be seen, wrapping around it because of the nature of loose clothing.

But whatevs.

It wouldn't quite move that way or reach that far if that was the case, but it's close. I agree they probably just didn't get around to using it and hadn't looked that closely. It would be a relatively easy thing to fix.

Psxphile

I just finished 94% on wiiU I ran into quite a few glitches most being audio related.

Do you get anything for 100%?

I believe there are different artworks you can unlock in the gallery dependent on a combination of low completion time and whether or not you get 100% item completion.

Grisby

Mermaid Falls music is legit. Damn, some really good tunes there.

Game looks good. My OLED vita screen really brought life to Wayforward's
heaving mermaid boobs art.

Kind of feel like the transformation room chests should have had some more color to them or something.

georly

I got 99% items but i'm pretty sure I found every collectible. What could I have missed? Does the blobfish dance serve any purpose?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I got 99% items but i'm pretty sure I found every collectible. What could I have missed? Does the blobfish dance serve any purpose?
Most people miss
talking to the Mayor in the art gallery before the end
. I never even tried the blobfish dance.

Psxphile

Did you talk to the mayor in the art gallery?
Did you trade for every dance from the snake lady shop? They count too.
You also have to actually beat the final stage. You get one last item.

georly

Did you talk to the mayor in the art gallery?
Did you trade for every dance from the snake lady shop? They count too.
You also have to actually beat the final stage. You get one last item.

For the
magic tiara?
Yeah. And I traded
for the coin jug
but then traded back. And I beat the last stage, obviously or I wouldn't have seen the results screen say 99% no? What could I be missing? All hearts, all keys, all transformations. Maybe I forgot to buy something in the shop?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What stages is the snake lady in again? I need to swap for one item, then swap it back to get 100%.

Also, from what I'm hearing, the speed run times for those trophies are 2 hours #%, 3 hours 100% run.

Mithos

I just finished 94% on wiiU I ran into quite a few glitches most being audio related.

Do you get anything for 100%?

I had 3 freezes that required me to hard-reset the Wii U but I do not know if it was the game or my crappy USB-stick.

Spent a long time playing (File1: 9:24) effective time (I guess) say 8:38.

100% is Secret artwork unlocks.

ymgve

The last level is the worst of the game. The game suddenly turns into what is basically
Flappy Bird

Also, is the last level of invincibility supposed to be completely overpowered? I enabled it for the last battles and my mana didn't even budge and nothing could hit me.

benbeaux

Banned
I'm starting to think it may have been a poor choice on WayForward's part to have a game where Shantae doesn't transform. I love that Shantae can transform, that's pretty much her shtick after all, but using her abilities in Pirate's Curse was such a blessing in how you always had instant access to them.

I find myself stumbling often in 1/2 Genie Hero with selecting the wrong transformation and such, and it just feels so disjointed and unnecessary in comparison to what Pirate's Curse offered.

I still love this game, and I know we're probably never getting something similar to Pirate's Curse again outside of 1/2 Genie Hero's Risky Mode, but damn it feels like a step back even if it is "correct" for Shantae.

Sciz

Also, is the last level of invincibility supposed to be completely overpowered? I enabled it for the last battles and my mana didn't even budge and nothing could hit me.

The tiara provides infinite mana. Without it, the mana cost will run you dry in fairly short order.

bomblord1

Banned
I had 3 freezes that required me to hard-reset the Wii U but I do not know if it was the game or my crappy USB-stick.

Spent a long time playing (File1: 9:24) effective time (I guess) say 8:38.

100% is Secret artwork unlocks.

Haven't had a single hard lock I did have a time where a slime absorbed me and the camera flipped to aother area and I was continually taking damage and I couldn't break it. Had to use the whistle to leave the area and come back in

Most of my glitches are audio I've had several time where a track gets stuck. Once where there was an annoying smacking sound in the background that continued even to the title screen (had to completely close the game to get rid of it).

The tiara provides infinite mana. Without it, the mana cost will run you dry in fairly short order.

I started to cheese the last boss with that but it got so boring I turned it off.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm starting to really wish bosses had a life bar or something, considering I'm trying to get the trophy where
you have to beat Risky Boots as a mouse, so I'm just mashing Square, only dealing 1 damage each bite.....

Edit: Oh dear god, FINALLY. I swore that took about 15-20 minutes.

Edit 2: :( UUUGGGHHHHH, there's another "avoid all the stuff while on the slide" & despite dying to try again & succeeding, it seems it doesn't count because it didn't appear after doing it....AND I have to redo the final boss battle again just for another shot........

THANK YOU for hyping this game. I'm really loving it. I got the DSi one before and liked it well enough, but never bothered to finish it. This feels more streamlined and still with lots of backtracking to explore with new powers.

I don't mind the dances, it's what gives her her unique style. Everything doesn't have to be perfect.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*replays the final boss, is almost done with the slide part again*

*HITS THE VERY LAST DAMN THING YOU NEED TO DODGE*

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: at least Obliterate is super helpful against one of the forms, making it go a bit quicker. But I seriously wish I could just restart at the slide part instead of having to deal with replaying the final damn boss just to get another shot...

Fuzzy

*replays the final boss, is almost done with the slide part again*

*HITS THE VERY LAST DAMN THING YOU NEED TO DODGE*

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: at least Obliterate is super helpful against one of the forms, making it go a bit quicker. But I seriously wish I could just restart at the slide part instead of having to deal with replaying the final damn boss just to get another shot...
I haven't tried it on the last slide yet but noticed on the other slide level that an easy way to pass rolling barrels is to
jump then use the flamethrower skill.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I haven't tried it on the last slide yet but noticed on the other slide level that an easy way to pass rolling barrels is to
jump then use the flamethrower skill.
I'll have to give this a try, thank you for the tip.

.....crap, no, you can't use ANY of your magic during this slide part, since it's the final playable part of the game....

What's frustrating is that, despite the fact that you RESTART THE STAGE if you miss a jump, it'll still remember the fact you got hit for some reason.

Edit: Wait, I DO have the ability to use magic.........& I can just use the lv. 3 electric power to just hover in the air......

zroid

Banned
I really want to get this (most likely for Vita), but I also want to wait and see if it gets ported to Switch... knowing WayForward, they probably will...

So torn

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so....uh....I beat the game 100%, but only gave me the trophy for beating the game....it's after the credits, right? Edit: Yup, there we go. 1st play through was 5 1/2 hours.

Also, is it possible to get the speedrun trophies if you play on the unlockable mode for beating the game where
you have 5 (i.e. Monkey, Crab, Elephant, Mouse, & Harpy) of your dances unlocked from the start?

Emitan

I'm starting to really wish bosses had a life bar or something, considering I'm trying to get the trophy where
you have to beat Risky Boots as a mouse, so I'm just mashing Square, only dealing 1 damage each bite.....

I just did this and I feel like my hand is going to fall off.

Fuzzy

Do you have to use it the entire fight or just the finishing blow?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do you have to use it the entire fight or just the finishing blow?
I'm pretty sure it could just be the finishing blow, but because I wanted to ensure I didn't risk overshooting & beating the boss before changing forms, I just did it in the one form the entire fight to be safe.

Fuzzy

I'm downloading the backer digital soundtrack right now. 288MB and it's going so slow (~500KB/s). :(

mieumieu

There is this music bug that its fade out doesn't work properly in the game. Does anyone else notice it? I play on Vita but will check out the PS4 version later to see if it exists there too.

antibolo

Banned
What the fuck, when you die and continue you don't return to full health??

This is absolutely terrible game design.

I'm at the mermaid boss right now and I can only take two hits, because that how much life I had left when I reached her. Every time I die I come back with still that much life.

I mean I'm just speechless. This is a massive oversight from their part, and I don't remember a similar problem in Pirate's Curse.

bomblord1

Banned
What the fuck, when you die and continue you don't return to full health??

This is absolutely terrible game design.

I'm at the mermaid boss right now and I can only take two hits, because that how much life I had left when I reached her. Every time I die I come back with still that much life.

I mean I'm just speechless. This is a massive oversight from their part, and I don't remember a similar problem in Pirate's Curse.

Did you not collect any oranges? Or get the dryad transformation?

If you are really finding it impossible I'm pretty sure you can use the whistle at that part and fly back to town.

antibolo

Banned
Did you not collect any oranges? Or get the dryad transformation?

Ah I didn't realize the oranges were health restoration items. But that doesn't excuse the broken design.

No idea about that transformation.

(FWIW I beat her on my next attempt after writing that post.)

JediLink

The last level is the worst of the game. The game suddenly turns into what is basically
Flappy Bird
I'm guessing you probably tried to use the harpy in the sections where you were supposed to use the bat or the monkey bullet.

Im kinda stuck. The hint girl says there's an important item on the burning rooftops on main street even though I searched all over there and Rottytops wants 2 race tickets. I got one from those two girls but cant find the other.

Top Bottom