• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport streamlined GT Mode into Mission Challenges (Read OP)

inner-G

Banned
The Real Driving Simulator, folks.

For people who don’t know what an air filter does, but really want to know the detailed history of that 1977 concept car, I guess.

Dinjooh

What? That's not what he says at all.

The tuning has been streamlined to accommodate new players. There are still the same elements in there, but they've been made easier to understand. Then there's the whole other part where he's explaining how the campaign is still there, but laid out in a much different way then what they usually do.

derFeef

Just a sensationalist headline, Kaz didn't say that at all lmao. Just read what Kaz actually said in their quotes.

"In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

"When people are talking about there’s no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that’s not quite true,” Yamauchi told us. “It’s just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game.”

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”

Pretty misleading headline there.

It is a pretty misleading headline.
But it's also a pretty condescending thing to say anyway. Who is that person getting GTS and not "interested in the cars" ?

Card Boy

Banned
I was wonder why the fuck this game had car licence crap under the 'campaign' tab good thing i got this shit for free.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just a sensationalist headline, Kaz didn't say that at all lmao. Just read what Kaz actually said in their quotes.

"In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

"When people are talking about there’s no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that’s not quite true,” Yamauchi told us. “It’s just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game.”

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”

Well okay then. GT is still not for me, sadly.

Laws00

He does have a point.....

Thing is now it should be up to the team to have people LEARN ABOUT THE CARS they drive.

The automotive history, the manufacture, what makes them so special,etc.

Daffy Duck

What? That's not what he says at all.

The tuning has been streamlined to accommodate new players. There are still the same elements in there, but they've been made easier to understand. Then there's the whole other part where he's explaining how the campaign is still there, but laid out in a much different way then what they usually do.

He didn't say it, no, but what he does say is still condescending as fuck.

eso76

Looks like he couldn't turn gamers into car lovers

Edit: whatever, he just said they made the upgrade stuff more accessible.
Still, Forza didn't remove the manual upgrading and setup, but introduced an auto upgrade function which is a much better way to tackle the issue

jesu

He never actually said that.

He was talking about why he simplified the tuning system.

Hardly anyone will actually read the article.
Hardly anyone will read this post.

Well done OP 20 page thread incoming.

ValfarHL

Please read the article and above comments before hyperboling, guys. The crazy over reaction (to what he really said) kinda makes you look stupid.

King_Moc

Banned

Nice cherrypicked quote op.

wbEMX

That would be a legit excuse if everything really was just "simplified". Too bad that the majority of what made the GT Mode so great still IS axed. That's a fact. Just because people are plebs concerning cars doesn't mean that the game just gets less events to play.

I mean do they need to, they can't just enjoy the game, the racing, the cars? Welp maybe I'll take my casual motorcycle riding ass to Forza apparently some of us ain't good enough.

Seriously though, why would you say that lol. Gaming PR needs to get ahead of these old crotchety men.

inner-G

Banned
You guys should try reading the article.
I did read the article.

Seems to me like they could have added an ‘easy tuning mode’ to the existing GT mode and more people would have been happy, while still accommodating people who don’t know what compression ratios are.

They didn’t need all 1K old car models remastered to include it, that’s a cop out.

oti

Banned
Just name the cars with the iPhone naming convention and people will know all the details in no time.

Bishop89

Please update the title.
I read the article too and he didn't say that.

Clickbait

Eolz

That would be a legit excuse if everything really was just "simplified". Too bad that the majority of what made the GT Mode so great still IS axed. That's a fact. Just because people are plebs concerning cars doesn't mean that the game just gets less events to play.

This.
There's some omissions both in the OP and in the posts trying to defend what this game changed.

I did read the article.

Seems to me like they could have added an ‘easy tuning mode’ to the existing GT mode and more people would have been happy, while still accommodating people who don’t know what compression ratios are.
I thought you can? The options to tune your car before a race is pretty complex from what I can see.

c0de

Yeah, seeing as how many here took the 'hot take' title as gospel without reading the article in question.

Let's not pretend that in the actual content of the article, there are no things that could be argued. But this will also be overshadowed by the bad title, too, and people complaining about the thread title.

bigol

"In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge," he said. ”It's single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

"When people are talking about there's no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that's not quite true," Yamauchi told us. ”It's just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game."

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don't have that knowledge anymore because they're not as interested in the cars, so we've simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it's more user-friendly for people just getting into cars."

The title is misleading but even this makes no sense. I just see it as making excuses for the lack of a real career mode. Don't think it would have been difficult including text boxes when tuning the cars explaining what you were going to change, exactly like they did years ago with Gran Turismo.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thought this was interesting.

He said: “I had never imagined that in the short four days of open Beta that we did that there would be 1,060,000 photographs taken in the Scapes mode.The biggest surprise was the livery editor, because making a livery is pretty hard work. In four days, we had more than 300,000 liveries made. All these cars were driving online that looked nothing like the cars that we made in the game. I think it’s incredible the differences between the generations of players.”

Jumeira

Banned
Why dont they force us all to watch some videos then so we can get up to speed like they currently do before playing online.

benzy

It is a pretty misleading headline.
But it's also a pretty condescending thing to say anyway. Who is that person getting GTS and not "interested in the cars" ?

Kaz's whole design philosophy for the game is to get more people into cars and racing, including kids. He's been around the racing industry for a while and his viewpoint is motorsports isn't as popular as it used to be. You don't have to be interested in cars to play a GT or any other racer that aims for the casual market.

Let's not pretend that in the actual content of the article, there are no things that could be argued. But this will also be overshadowed by the bad title, too, and people complaining about the thread title.
And that's fine, doesn't change the fact that many jumped into conclusions at the title innit?

Dinjooh

Thought this was interesting.

He said: ”I had never imagined that in the short four days of open Beta that we did that there would be 1,060,000 photographs taken in the Scapes mode.The biggest surprise was the livery editor, because making a livery is pretty hard work. In four days, we had more than 300,000 liveries made. All these cars were driving online that looked nothing like the cars that we made in the game. I think it's incredible the differences between the generations of players."

I contributed 5 liveries to that number, yay! And It took for fucking ever since there's no grouping.

Is this an accurate quote?

Yes, but he's only talking about the tuning system there iirc.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am sure the ratio of car-experts to none-car-experts did not change much in the past 20 years.
Also not everyone even want’s or need’s that knowledge anyway.

The important thing for a game to do is to show how and which stats change when switching components, that way people engaging can learn and enjoy the system.

A-V-B

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car."

Actually I didn't at the time (I was fourteen) but Gran Turismo taught me thanks to in-game information (and a fat paper manual) and it was Great.

Yup. I learned, too. As a little kid. Because I wanted to make my car better.

Dude isn't giving other human beings enough credit.

I am sure the ratio of car-experts to none-car-experts did not change much in the past 20 years.
Also not everyone even want’s or need’s that knowledge anyway.

The important thing for a game to do is to show how and which stats change when switching components, that way people engaging can learn and enjoy the system.
I disagree with the first statement. It can be seen by declining attendance in racing competitions for example.

The second though, is something I want them to implement. They did great with the single player mode in how it helped me become better in racing, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same to help me understand more about tuning the cars.

Vuci

This deserves to be quoted, smh at this entire thread.. what a pile on, you’d think this was Destruction Derby not GTS.

Hanmik

EA: "We cancelled the Star Wars game because people today have no knowledge of how to play a singleplayer only game"

Microsoft: "We made the Xbox One X, because players today do not know how to upgrade their PC"

Sony: "We stopped making Vita games, because players today do not know how to use buttons anymore"

Nintendo: "We made the Switch a portable hybrid console, because players today do not know how to sit on their ass and play games"

Lootbox: "We made a lootbox system, because people today do not know how to take good care of their money"

edit..ohh a kind mod edited the thread.. so my "joke" is redundant..

Top Bottom