• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

The appeal of Magilou is that you finally have a way to counter those horrible magic spamming enemies. Like those pixies from Zestiria, yikes.

The demo alone sold me on spell absorption when she almost managed to tank the entire witch fight with the rest of the party dead.

Shouta

I'm hearing stuff about the translation being really bad. Like "that's gruesome" being changed to "that's goose." Anyone know about this?

If Magilou is saying this, then I'm almost certain it's not a mistake but intentional, lol.

Edit: Actually, as I recall there's quite a bit of that kind of joke in the game in the JP version where they get a saying or proverb totally wrong. My recollection of the specifics might be a bit fuzzy though.

I mean I'm happy for the low system requirements. It means I can play it on PC... but it is also telling of the effort they must be putting into making the console games as good as they can be visually. It's a shame they don't have bigger budgets

The combat is these games is always what has held me back, how different is this? Reading the OP it seems like more action rpg which is something I can totally get behind.

CrazyDude

If Magilou is saying this, then I'm almost certain it's not a mistake but intentional, lol.

Edit: Actually, as I recall there's quite a bit of that kind of joke in the game in the JP version where they get a saying or proverb totally wrong. My recollection of the specifics might be a bit fuzzy though.

”even depth can be a kind of release" is another one IGN mentions.

She mentioned she was playing with English voices, so it seems like a problem with subtitles.

Can you swap back to this costume ever?

Berseria-3.jpg

SheHateMe

Ending up buying the CE for a coworker; he didn't get a chance to order in time.

I got burned BADLY by Zestira, bought the CE and everything. Luckily, I'll be offloading that this weekend for $60; not bad considering how horrible the game is for me.

I should offload my ToS CE as well; never even opened the package after all the trouble I went through to get it because a PSN Flash Sale had both games for $10 maybe a month after that?

I gotta stop buying Collector's Editions of games. (Preorders Tekken 7 CE)

On topic, though... I think I'll at least get Beseria. From what everyone is saying, it's a better game than the last 3 or 4, and I actually enjoyed ToX.

Shouta

”even depth can be a kind of release" is another one IGN mentions.

She mentioned she was playing with English voices, so it seems like a problem with subtitles.

Interesting. I need to see video then. It could just be someone forgot to turn off the auto-correct if the correct word is being said in the voice acting.

auto-correct error sounds more preferable than them not writing in a wordplay joke into English if that's the case. lol

Interesting. I need to see video then. It could just be someone forgot to turn off the auto-correct if the correct word is being said in the voice acting.

auto-correct error sounds more preferable than them not writing in a wordplay joke into English if that's the case. lol

I hope it's some kind of mistake they can fix, but Namco doesn't exactly have the best track record with translation. Their Sword Art Hollow Realization TL is atrocious.

Shouta

I hope it's some kind of mistake they can fix, but Namco doesn't exactly have the best track record with translation. Their Sword Art Hollow Realization TL is atrocious.

Namco translations are fine, when they're trying. That's all of the properties they know will actually sell a decent amount in that language, the Soul Caliburs, Tekkens, even Tales games.

The problem with Sword Art is that it's one of the properties they just wanted to get out quick. They probably just did a machine translation or asked folks that worked for cheap but don't have the skills to do a proper localization just to get it out.

To clarify they said this is only using subtitles with Japanese audio. The English audio was fine.

Bladenic

Was watching the live stream (didn't win anything, of course) but someone asked about DLC and they said they couldn't reveal the plans for that. I just hope the costumes don't take forever to come out, I wonder if we'll even get any costumes tomorrow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, I need to platinum Gravity Rush 2 and complete KH 0.2 before I dive into this game.

How long is the game though?

Do Tales games still come out with "complete" versions a few years later? Haven't played the last few but this one has had me interested, but I don't need to play it right away if they still do that.

MechaX

Do Tales games still come out with "complete" versions a few years later? Haven't played the last few but this one has had me interested, but I don't need to play it right away if they still do that.

Xillia, Xillia 2, and Zestiria (and holy fuck did it probably need one) didn't. Symphonia, Vesperia, and Graces were more due to platform changes than anything else.

I must admit that I haven't been interested pretty much since the announcement of the game. Didn't even find the most recent trailer that good. But after checking out reviews when I saw that it was looking good on OpenCritic, I decided to make the purchase.

Axass

Tried the demo on Steam: appreciated the combat, hated the free-roaming in the grass fields. The banter and atmosphere in the beach part was nice but I really dislike most of the character design; not even for the fanservice or anything, just doesn't like the style.

Only tried Symphonia in the past, but didn't get farther than the desert area at the beginning. Guess I'll pass on this too.

Is the best one in the series generally considered to be Destiny, or Symphonia? Maybe Vesperia?

What's the one with the best combat and the one with the best plot?

Jobbs

Banned
Tried the demo on Steam: appreciated the combat, hated the free-roaming in the grass fields. The banter and atmosphere in the beach part was nice but I really dislike most of the character design; not even for the fanservice or anything, just doesn't like the style.

Only tried Symphonia in the past, but didn't get farther than the desert area at the beginning. Guess I'll pass on this too.

Is the best one in the series generally considered to be Destiny, or Symphonia? Maybe Vesperia?

What's the one with the best combat and the one with the best plot?

Objectively I think Vesperia is the best, but Symphonia is my favorite because of the positive memories and associations with a happy time in my life

Objectively I think Vesperia is the best, but Symphonia is my favorite because of the positive memories and associations with a happy time in my life

Vesperia is the GOAT of the series in my opinion. Symphonia second. Symphonia was the first Tales game that I can say I fully enjoyed.

Persona7

Banned
Namco has a history of shipping stuff to retailers late. It's happened at least four-five times with amazon or other sites receiving stock later than expected.

Pastry

Banned
I haven't played a Tales game since Eternia maybe? It was on the PS1 and a loooong time ago.

I got this preordered and I'm assuming things have changed lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yessss. The Asian version is delayed to Jan 27.

At least now I can focus on KH 2.8 and Gravity Rush 2.

I can't wait to play this game, alternating with Yakuza 0 sessions.

I'm just a bit afraid the game will be too serious. Is it?

I don't mind if the story as a whole is tragic, but I like to have some quiky moments/characters (Pascal in Graces is one of my favorite sidekicks)

Amazon must be paying off USPS to perform magic...My copy shipped last night from Cali and is already here in Cleveland Ohio using first class mail, wtf? After seeing it shipped from Cali last night I thought I'd be missing release day tomorrow for sure.

Think I'll get this on PC. Xillia, Graces and Zestiria couldn't keep my attention, Vesperia was the last Tales game I played from start to finish. Any PC discounts any where?

MegaPanda

Cool thanks for the info. Any indication that this will get one?

It probably won't. It's already on leading platforms (PS4/PC) unlike Symphonia/Vesperia/Graces were when they were released.
MAYBE the unannounced Tales games for Switch is an updated Berseria but I wouldn't count on it

Top Bottom