• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does this generation have a franchise?

I guess I missed titanfall and destiny is becoming a franchise, but what about shovel knight or overwatch makes them franchises? I can't see an Overwatch 2 getting made anytime soon. Divinity was on last generation as well right?

And splatoon would count as well I guess but is the Wii U current generation? It seems that the switch is but the Wii U isn't so I think that falls out of my little arbitrary definition of a current generation franchise.

Wii U is the same gen as PS4/XBO, Switch is a new gen.

Long story short, gens don't mean anything anymore, Splatoon counts.

Mephala

I vote Gravity Rush since we have the original's remaster and GR2 on PS4.
8ZQAXL1.png

jdstorm

Banned
The Last of Us should count given how late it was released in the PS3s life and how it almost immediately got a remastered port.

Project Cars and Dying Light werent on your list. Both will likely see sequels. As will Ori and the blind forrest

Zukkoyaki

Definitely Destiny. Despite the mixed reception by critics and the enthusiast crowd the game sold truckloads and still has a crazy number of people playing it. The sequel is going to be a behemoth.

18-Volt

If handhelds count: Yokai Watch, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Toukiden, Senran Kagura, Freedom Wars, Codename: Steam, Demon Gaze, Bravely Default, Ragnarok Odyssey

Sony also is a new IP machine: Order 1882, Knack, Bloodborne, Horizon, Days Gone...

Mega franchises? We haven't had a proper "mega-franchise" since Red Dead Redemption. But looking at sales, Yokai Watch is posed to be next big thing.

gdt

It's clearly Destiny and Overwatch. In terms of big defining massive games that make everyone take note.

Obviously beyond that there are a lot of smaller games that rock too.

ThEoRy...

I think it's better to look back and decide later about these things. It's not like last gen we were saying, yes this game or that game is defining this generation. Wait and see.

yurinka

As happens with many Sony IPs, it may end having a single entry, at least this gen, but I'll add Death Stranding.
Mega franchises? We haven't had a proper "mega-franchise" since Red Dead Redemption. But looking at sales, Yokai Watch is posed to be next big thing.
RDR was a sequel. Watchdogs, Destiny, The Last of Us and The Division broke the "best launch for a new IP" records.

And splatoon would count as well I guess but is the Wii U current generation? It seems that the switch is but the Wii U isn't so I think that falls out of my little arbitrary definition of a current generation franchise.

Gens are by time not power. Switch is closer to a Wii U in power than Xbox One.

I don't really know how to define what I'm talking about. A franchise? A series? Basically last generation we had Gears, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Dragon Age, etc. I think all 4 of those trilogies started within the first 3 or so years of the XB360/PS3's lifecycle.

I think this current generation started in 2014 or so and now its 2017 and I can't think of any series that started on this generation. Is Watch Dogs a series even if the first and second games really have nothing to do with each other and the games feel more apart than alike?

Does this generation have that type of franchise yet? Is it coming? Is it ME4? Will Horizon be a series? Is there a franchise that came out that I'm missing?

No, and hopefully it will never have series with that kind of overshadowing power over the gaming land.

Pámpano

Yeah Splatoon.

And I guess Nintendo has plans for ARMS to be the start of a next-gen franchise.
1-2 Switch too

Josh5890

OverWatch, Destiny, Rocket League, Splatoon, Division, Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six

We've shifted to spending more time and money on single games. Less sequels.

I am fine with that in this age of multiplayer. It also helps that three of those games that you mentioned are among my top 10 favorite games this century.

Ahasverus

Now that I think of it, this gen has been weak on new franchises (not IPs). And it's been old franchises which have surprised in quality (Witcher, Soulsborne etc)

I don't really know how to define what I'm talking about. A franchise? A series? Basically last generation we had Gears, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Dragon Age, etc. I think all 4 of those trilogies started within the first 3 or so years of the XB360/PS3's lifecycle.

I think this current generation started in 2014 or so and now its 2017 and I can't think of any series that started on this generation. Is Watch Dogs a series even if the first and second games really have nothing to do with each other and the games feel more apart than alike?

If Dragon Age counts, then Watch Dogs definitely counts.

renzolama

The inclusion of Splatoon alongside Overwatch and Destiny is adorable.

Edit: and that's coming from somebody who owns and enjoys all 3

I mean, to be fair those sales are like, roughly a third of Destiny or Overwatch, dude.

You have to put those sales in context though. Splatoon is on a dead platform and is

A - Owned by 1/3 of the system's owners
B - One of maybe three console games this gen that broke a milion units in Japan
C - The best-selling game on the system that doesn't have Mario in it
D - The first new Nintendo IP since the Touch Generations/Wii era to even approach 5 million

Plus as far as its success as a "franchise" goes, it already has a sequel in the works, a bunch of amiibos and other such merchandise, and has crossed over with several other nintendo games (Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

If the Switch is successful then Splatoon 2 could break 10-15 million easily.

Top Bottom