• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chapo Trap House [OT] Speed Boat Dope Cocaine Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
So I was reading up about this whole thing and I saw that Josh Androsky is stepping down from his DSA position and undergoing sensitivity training, so that's good.

I also saw that Settlers is the book of the month on the Chapo Reddit and had a big laugh. Probably some posters from Rhizzone are responsible for that. Thats probably gonna cause some drama.

So I was reading up about this whole thing and I saw that Josh Androsky is stepping down from his DSA position and undergoing sensitivity training, so that's good.

I also saw that Settlers is the book of the month on the Chapo Reddit and had a big laugh. Probably some posters from Rhizzone are responsible for that. Thats probably gonna cause some drama.
lol that owns

Discourse Collective, Citations Needed, Intercepted, and Delete Your Account are good. Katie Halper can be good when she isn't overly focused on relitigating the 2016 primary, which is not enough of the time, unfortunately.

Austin Walker should really do a leftist podcast.

I would subscribe to an Austin Walker political podcast.

This is also the first I have heard about CTH. Trying to parse out this current issue but am struggling to understand what is going on. Can someone give me a summary?

I honestly wish Felix was an occasional guest host and Amber was a regular. A lot of the most problematic stuff on Chapo either comes directly out of Felix's mouth (e.g. using "cunt" as a slur) or is something he's turned into a running gag (jokes about Hillary's health). Conversely, a lot of the best stuff comes from Amber and Matt dipping into their respective wells of expertise.

Wow this is incredibly stupid.

I also just heard about Season of the Bitch, which seems like a pretty good podcast by leftist women, but I've only listened to one episode so idk yet

I honestly wish Felix was an occasional guest host and Amber was a regular. A lot of the most problematic stuff on Chapo either comes directly out of Felix's mouth (e.g. using "cunt" as a slur) or is something he's turned into a running gag (jokes about Hillary's health). Conversely, a lot of the best stuff comes from Amber and Matt dipping into their respective wells of expertise.

honestly will strikes me as the most problematic chapo boy. felix says grosser stuff but it comes from a place of knowledge, while will just dismisses a lot of liberal social concerns with a malaise that makes me uncomfortable sometimes.

more amber is always great.

man those tweets are really really something.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Amber is the best Chapo and probably the closest thing to a founder of the movement. But I don't think she wants to be on the podcast every episode... she is doing a lot of reporting and stuff that takes her outside the NYC DSA bubble.

FoneBone

Isn't Amber Nick Mullen's roommate?

Brakke

Banned
This is also the first I have heard about CTH. Trying to parse out this current issue but am struggling to understand what is going on. Can someone give me a summary?

This is all super niche so it’s not really something to parachute into.

CTH is “real” leftist “the Democrats are a right wing party”-style podcast punditry. CTH is (a prominent) part of what’s sometimes called the “dirtbag left”, which basically means being hard left and also being rude and crass and irreverent and flip. Sometimes it’s cathartic but sometimes it’s just edgelord boundary-pushing.

Since their whole brand is to be mean and say ugly things, you can imagine that sometimes they cross lines and become much more “dirtbag” than “left”. It’s frustrating because they’re exciting and often funny and they represent a cool opportunity for aggressive, no prisoners, unapologetic leftism to gain some traction, but they definitely push some people away by forgetting who should be their allies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Good on them to make that donation. I expect they'll be more careful about making jokes like this in the future.

I like the into. I really like the donation. I like that it’s obvious they spent a lot of time thinking about this.

I’m glad this episode has all seven of them, it’s been a while.

Folks, chapo is (maybe) good again.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I like the into. I really like the donation. I like that it’s obvious they spent a lot of time thinking about this.

I’m glad this episode has all seven of them, it’s been a while.

Folks, chapo is good again.

Fucking good, the last several episodes have been kind of so-so.

Also... who are all seven? Will Felix Amber Matt Virgil Brandon and...?

Sorry I forgot this thread was only for people who want to help normalize harassment of rape victims

i would be down to have an actual conversation about critiques of chapo with you but you’ve just constantly been coming at this from a place of bad faith with no room for nuance.

i get that you really don’t like chapo and that’s totally fine and I can see why, I just don’t see what you’re hoping to achieve here.

i would be down to have an actual conversation about critiques of chapo with you but you’ve just constantly been coming at this from a place of bad faith with no room for nuance.

i get that you really don’t like chapo and that’s totally fine and I can see why, I just don’t see what you’re hoping to achieve here.

continually looking for reasons to accuse other leftists of racism/misogyny, apologia for racism/misogyny, or insufficient concern with racism/misogyny is pretty much his schtick and has been for a long time

Given the sexual harassment accusation against Sam Kriss, I doubt you'll ever hear from Whale Vomit again.

It sucked to hear about that. Dude is pretentious as fuck but also an incredibly smart, funny, and scathing writer.

But he doesn't respect women's consent, so into the garbage pile he goes. No one of any note on the left should give him a platform again.

pigeon

Banned
continually finding reasons to accuse other leftists of racism/misogyny, apologia for racism/misogyny, or insufficient concern with racism/misogyny is pretty much his schtick and has been for a long time

Yes, guilty as charged, I think racism and misogyny are bad and opposing them should be core to leftist thought, what an unreasonable bastard

Yes, guilty as charged, I think racism and misogyny are bad and opposing them should be core to leftist thought, what an unreasonable bastard

No, the unreasonable part is you tossing those allegations whenever you feel like at any leftist whose politics don't align with your own. I've seen it more than enough times.

Of course sexism and racism are real problems on the left, just as they are everywhere, but the left is more than capable of self-criticism without that shit. I really do believe that. I think the conversation about Chapo, Kriss, etc. proves that.

pigeon

Banned
Of course sexism and racism are real problems on the left, just as they are everywhere, but the left is more than capable of self-criticism without that shit. I really do believe that. I think the conversation about Chapo, Kriss, etc. proves that.

That explains why you're here telling a leftist to stop criticizing other leftists for their sexism and racism. Victory for self-criticism!

That explains why you're here telling a leftist to stop criticizing other leftists for their sexism and racism. Victory for self-criticism!

constructive self-criticism is good. what you have to offer is very rarely even remotely constructive and generally seems to be more about you insisting that you are the sole arbiter of good and correct leftism. g'night

aeolist

Banned
so the new ep was good and all but i was disappointed that they didn't directly address the criticism they're gotten in the last few weeks. it felt like they were skating around it and trying really hard not to mention the tweet or the backlash.

FoneBone

so the new ep was good and all but i was disappointed that they didn't directly address the criticism they're gotten in the last few weeks. it felt like they were skating around it and trying really hard not to mention the tweet or the backlash.

have any of the Chapo folks (especially Matt and Will, given the Cosby tweet) addressed it directly anywhere?

i believe Felix, Amber and Nick Mullen are roommates

She's offered some semi-defenses of Nick that strike me as problematic, so I wouldn't necessarily put her up on a pedestal.

Thewonandonly

I just wanted to come in to say fuck this title ;)

Everytime I'm scrolling through OT and see this. I'm like damn some hot new rapper I haven't heard of must have dropped a killer mix tape.

Nope just boring politics ;)

shamanick

have any of the Chapo folks (especially Matt and Will, given the Cosby tweet) addressed it directly anywhere?

She's offered some semi-defenses of Nick that strike me as problematic, so I wouldn't necessarily put her up on a pedestal.

Will apologized pretty much as soon as the tweet went out, both in the thread and as a separate thing. I didn't see anything from Matt at the time but he may have addressed it as well, not sure.

I only recently started listening to Chapo and some of the things they've said made me feel a bit uncomfortable but I sort of chalked it up as me not understanding the satire. The recent Paton Oswalt episode in particular.

Glad to see I am not crazy though.

I'm glad they decided to have some tact with the latest episode so I am not completely writing them off, but man my recent exposure to the misogynistic parts of the left have been super discouraging. Ultimately unsurprising though.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Last episode was so good. I really liked what Amber said at the beginning.

And then they made fun of like the exact kinds of things we were fighting about here on the forum yesterday.

The stuff about how you'll never beat the Republicans at troop worship is so good. And really gets to the bottom of how bad and useless Democrat strategy is right now.

aeolist

Banned
I only recently started listening to Chapo and some of the things they've said made me feel a bit uncomfortable but I sort of chalked it up as me not understanding the satire. The recent Paton Oswalt episode in particular.

Glad to see I am not crazy though.

I'm glad they decided to have some tact with the latest episode so I am not completely writing them off, but man my recent exposure to the misogynistic parts of the left have been super discouraging. Ultimately unsurprising though.

i don't really remember anything problematic in the oswalt ep, what didn't sit right with you?

Adree

Last episode was so good. I really liked what Amber said at the beginning.

And then they made fun of like the exact kinds of things we were fighting about here on the forum yesterday.

The stuff about how you'll never beat the Republicans at troop worship is so good. And really gets to the bottom of how bad and useless Democrat strategy is right now.

I almost wish they'd make an entire podcast that was just Reading Series. Matt freaking out was amazing.

Valhelm

contribute something
I almost wish they'd make an entire podcast that was just Reading Series. Matt freaking out was amazing.

reading series + academic discussions are the best

The best episodes are Matt Karp, Chase Madar, the Douthat/Buckley excerpt, and the one where they talk about Mark Fisher

I think the episodes where they talk with a random twitter celeb or pro comic tend to fall flat, not counting Adomian

Adree

reading series + academic discussions are the best

The best episodes are Matt Karp, Chase Madar, the Douthat/Buckley excerpt, and the one where they talk about Mark Fisher

I think the episodes where they talk with a random twitter celeb or pro comic tend to fall flat, not counting Adomian

I like the Tim Faust ones where you learn a lot and get to hear the strangest laugh ever recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom