• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP rogue one

I liked it a bit better than Ep. 7 but it's still a mediocre blockbuster. Wouldn't even make it into my top 20 of 2016 movies if I were to ever compile a list this extensive.

They underutilized Donnie Yen. Dude had one action scene and it wasn't that good. "How should we use this totally badass action star during the finale? I know! He'll slowly walk and then press a button."

Also Wen Jiang had like less than 10 lines.

Besides those complaints the movie was fun and looked great. I loved seeing a big budget take on that 70's sci-fi look.

EGM1966

It was alright. Looked lovely and certain scenes played nicely but ultimately it was plaugued with a muddy narrative and shaky character development.

Some really nice compositions though. I feel it could really have been something if they'd sorted out the narrative better and the characterization.

Nice final battle though.

KorrZ

I left the theater disliking it immediately unfortunately.

I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters without looking them up if you offered me $100 bucks right now.

It just felt utterly lifeless. Yeah, there was some cool battles and effects but that just doesn't do it for me in a movie. I'm there for either a good story or at the very least characters I can become attached to and care about. Rogue One had neither.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really disliked the prequel trilogy. But this was the worst Star Wars film in my eyes.

I was looking at my watch throughout the entire preview screening, just completely bored out of my mind and cringing at the forced drama of these nitwits. (Most difficult thing was holding in my true thoughts as dozens of friends were begging for my thoughts ahead of release. I couldn't tell them Santa Clause wasn't real seeing them so excited...)

I suppose I expected a well-crafted Dirty Dozen clone, not whatever the hell Rogue One turned out to be. The Vader scene at the end perked me up a bit though.

Onemic

It's pretty terrible and is very obvious they had to change a ton in the middle of production. Whittakers character for example, serves absolutely no purpose and is clear had a much bigger role before they changed the script.

Besides Whittaker all the other characters int he movie are extremely forgettable, especially the main character. She doesnt really have any reason for doing what she's doing other than fulfilling "dad's last wish".

I'd say it's easily one of the worst Star Wars films released to date.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I left the theater disliking it immediately unfortunately.

I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters without looking them up if you offered me $100 bucks right now.
This is always an odd metric to judge a movie by, I don't remember a ton of names from movies that I love.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really like Rogue One. It's probably my favorite Star Wars movie next to Empire and the original.

That said, I think The Force Awakens is easily the stronger movie in almost every aspect. The characters and their relationships to each other are weak (as opposed to TFA) and if they had been able to nail it I think I could easily forgive everything else like the pacing of it (though I didn't find the film boring).

I really like the cast they assembled for this, and it feels incredibly topical if nothing else. Great action and these characters get cool moments beyond their individual demises. Great score, too. And while we're here, I didn't have an issue of CGing Tarkin and Leia as I thought they looked good (however it seems we're not 100% yet).

This is easily one of the better Star Wars films , especially when we have a trilogy of crap.

Christine

I thought it was pretty dull. All the right ingredients for excitement seem to be present but they're put together in a way that just isn't very interesting. Also, not enough TIE Fighters.

Noctilum

I loved the movie but can see why others don't. I didn't like the older James Earl Jones voice for Vader though. Makes me worried about him being Mufassa again.

The biggest disappointment, like with TFA, was the missed potential.

When I first heard about the film, it sounded like a Heist movie. Something smaller in scale (despite the large stakes) that could really have been a breath of fresh air.

But what we got wasn't anything close to that

I really liked it, though Forest was criminally underused. That will always bother me, I think.

These are my thoughts exactly.

He's so underused...

K-2SO is also a great character, but I love most droid characters. I was really disappointed when he died, although I figured pretty early on they had to "clean up" everyone since they never appear again.

Voidwolf

First off I thought the entire concept was completely unnecessary from the start. Telling a story that did not need telling and we already knew the outcome and yes it is different than telling the prequels.

It's not though, and saying it doesn't make that statement any less wrong.

Found the whole thing boring tbh. The final act with the battle was good, but apart from that the film had nothing going on.

Fair enough, that's a valid opinion.

protagonists were terrible and unlikable apart from leias dad and the guy with the big fking gun. Torkin is always excellent to see but they probably should have used a new voice actor for vader. Jones sounds terrible now.

I liked the characters, and I especially loved K2. JEJ definitely sounds older, a bit weaker, but I think he still did good and he sounds great in Rebels.

I like donny but I feel his character was a stereotypical Chinese dude giving out words of wisdom. Instead of chinese proverbs he just babbles about the force and dodging shit because he's blind (force sensitive right guys?). Couldn't he have been a normal character instead of some stereotype.

I'll give you this one. I still liked him though, one of the best characters for sure.

So much filler and stuff that messes with the continuity of ANH. This is brushed off by pretending the city wasn't destroyed but an accident. Why they need to test it on a city? I'm sure they already have weapons that can vaporise a city but can't blow up a planet because in ANH you see it being tested on a planet for real..

What exactly do you think messed with the continuity of ANH? The thing that is affected the most is Leia's claim that they are on a diplomatic mission. It's made extremely weak by the fact that Vader personally saw them flee the battle of Scarif but she may not realize that.

And the weapon is tested on a city because it's the first real test. Why risk some sort of reactor meltdown by firing at full power the first time, and they can't exactly go around blowing up planets just for fun, Krennic doesn't have that kind of pull. Tarkin on the other hand is a Grand Moff and the list of people that can say no to him is incredibly short.

The whole plot line of the MC dad being the architect for the death star even though we see in episode 2 duku receiving the plans, making RnD redundant, which they establish in the film they would have built it without him anyway.

The idea for the Death Star was conceived by Tarkin, he's a huge proponent of ruling by fear. The actual design was made by the Geonosians, and Galen Erso is responsible for getting the weapon to work. That was the most difficult part and the reason it took so long to complete.

Some positives ithe final battle was good and it was a gritty for a star wars film, everyone died lol.

First hand Disney milking their new ip. So many stories they could have told; instead some ridiculous story of how they got some tech spec of the space station.

Lucasfilm calls the shots on Star Wars, and it was a cool story to tell. All we knew before was that the Rebels somehow got the plans. The old EU had several versions of the story and people loved it then, it made sense to retell it.

Van Bur3n

I liked it. Only thing off putting being the weird CGI characters. Would have preferred they just recast Tarkin at that point.

Also that forced tie-in to New Hope was dumb and made little sense. Vader was cool though.

I'd probably like it less on a second watch.

IISANDERII

First off I thought the entire concept was completely unnecessary from the start. Telling a story that did not need telling and we already knew the outcome and yes it is different than telling the prequels.

Found the whole thing boring tbh. The final act with the battle was good, but apart from that the film had nothing going on.

protagonists were terrible and unlikable apart from leias dad and the guy with the big fking gun. Torkin is always excellent to see but they probably should have used a new voice actor for vader. Jones sounds terrible now.

I like donny but I feel his character was a stereotypical Chinese dude giving out words of wisdom. Instead of chinese proverbs he just babbles about the force and dodging shit because he's blind (force sensitive right guys?). Couldn't he have been a normal character instead of some stereotype.

So much filler and stuff that messes with the continuity of ANH. This is brushed off by pretending the city wasn't destroyed but an accident. Why they need to test it on a city? I'm sure they already have weapons that can vaporise a city but can't blow up a planet because in ANH you see it being tested on a planet for real..

The whole plot line of the MC dad being the architect for the death star even though we see in episode 2 duku receiving the plans, making RnD redundant, which they establish in the film they would have built it without him anyway.

Some positives ithe final battle was good and it was a gritty for a star wars film, everyone died lol.

First hand Disney milking their new ip. So many stories they could have told; instead some ridiculous story of how they got some tech spec of the space station.
You already hated the film before it began so you were going to find reasons to dislike it no matter what

I loved it. To me, they're 2/2 with rogue and TFA so until one blows up in my face, give me all the spinoffs since they've been great so far. Gives me hope for Han Solo, but approaching with managed expectations.

Hi. There's no such thing as an unnecessary piece of filmmaking. There's also very few films that could argued to have been "necessary" and I'd argue most of them are documentaries. Things like CitizenFour. There's also more to a story than finding out what happens at the end. If your argument is that it's a bad film from the get-go because we know what will happen, then doesn't that also apply to every historical film ever? Every adapted film ever?

"Boring" has also gotta be one of the laziest criticisms around. It's so subjective, that it's hard to take seriously. Why did you find yourself bored by it? Like, plenty of folks think Terence Malick films are boring. I don't, when I think of boring movies, I think of shit like Despicable Me and Transformers. Other people find those movies wildly entertaining. It's kind of a useless criticism.

Most of your further criticisms seem to revolve around continuity and how it fits into the franchise as a whole, rather than on it's success as a piece of story-telling. To that I say:

giphy.gif

Sephzilla

Hi. There's no such thing as an unnecessary piece of filmmaking. There's also very few films that could argued to have been "necessary" and I'd argue most of them are documentaries. Things like CitizenFour. There's also more to a story than finding out what happens at the end. If your argument is that it's a bad film from the get-go because we know what will happen, then doesn't that also apply to every historical film ever? Every adapted film ever?

"Boring" has also gotta be one of the laziest criticisms around. It's so subjective, that it's hard to take seriously. Why did you find yourself bored by it? Like, plenty of folks think Terence Malick films are boring. I don't, when I think of boring movies, I think of shit like Despicable Me and Transformers. Other people find those movies wildly entertaining. It's kind of a useless criticism.

Most of your further criticisms seem to revolve around continuity and how it fits into the franchise as a whole, rather than on it's success as a piece of story-telling. To that I say:

giphy.gif

Continuity is usually a pretty important part of storytelling

SpaceWolf

Banned

Within an isolated story continuity is important, but I think Inferno's point is that the OP criticisms mostly revolve around how the film fits into the continuity of a larger film franchise as opposed to the story in and of itself.

To the extent that things should generally make sense, sure (Which Rogue One does). It's not more important than emotion, structure, theme, conflict, resolution, or character.

Most "continuity" criticisms on the internet are nerdy neck-beardy nit-picky bullshit of the highest degree.

cwmartin

"telling a story that did not need telling". Congratulations on describing the entire star wars franchise. Fans and people who like it don't need it to be told. Lots of people like star wars! What a non-substantive criticism.

Goodlife

Favourite star wars film.
Not easily, but I proper loved it.
Dark film throughout, guess some of the pacing could have been better, but no big deal

Everyone died. Like wow. Really really impressed they went down that route.

Rogue One feels like a very easily misunderstood movie.

I read the film as a war movie that just happens to take place in the Star Wars universe. Unlike the more character focused mainline movies, Rogue One is far more focused on the overall warfare going on. Kind of like a historical drama.

Feels like some people expect the film to be just like the main Star Wars films in terms of character and story, which isn't really what they're going for.

That said, it's not like I think the movie is perfect. But 😳 that last battle sequence though. Makes it at least on par with Return of the Jedi for me. Flawed, but worth watching for its standout moments.

daviyoung

Banned
Rogue One feels like a very easily misunderstood movie.

I read the film as a war movie that just happens to take place in the Star Wars universe. Unlike the more character focused mainline movies, Rogue One is far more focused on the overall warfare going on. Kind of like a historical drama.

Feels like some people expect the film to be just like the main Star Wars films in terms of character and story, which isn't really what they're going for.

That said, it's not like I think the movie is perfect. But �� that last battle sequence though. Makes it at least on par with Return of the Jedi for me. Flawed, but worth watching for its standout moments.

if this was a WW2 movie it would be about one soldier, alongside their band of misfit mates, creating the enigma machine and deciphering all the codes while holding off the Nazis in Russia

RyanW

I'll never understand how people can say Rogue One is the worst Star Wars movie when Attack of the Clones still exists

Have you ever rewatched a movie, OP? Knowing the general outcome is not a very good indicator of quality/necessity of a movie.

It was nice to see them focus on a non Jedi aspect of the star wars mythos but ultimately all the characters were a big pile of nothing for me. It all just rang hollow and left me with the same feeling i get when walking out of marvel movies or some of the dc ones or a bunch of other mediocre blockbusters. Just a big sense of "ok, decent way to pass the last two hours i guess"

Even Force Awakens, directed by a guy who has also kind of been middling prior to it imo, had far stronger character investment behind it and was ultimately a much more fun movie to watch. That first act prior to running into Han Solo is just endlessly rewatchable and Kylo Ren alone is more intriguing than anyone in this.

I think I hate rogue one. Moreso than any star wars movie since attack of the clones

At least i got to see Donnie Yen beat some guys with a stick tho. That was cool

Pizza

Unapologetically my favorite star war

Going in, you knew everyone was pretty much done for, so I liked the story they told with them. I liked how Jyn and Cassian's relationship was mostly shown through their actions instead of episode 2 picnic scenes, K2S0 is my fav droid and more dimensions to force-worshippers are always welcome

The Death Star was used as a set piece better than most the other films imo, and you saw more than the famous 3/4 angle shot.

Krennic was a compelling villain with ambition and motives I liked. Also, he's the only character in the franchise to get /personally/ obliterated by the Death Star

Force Awakens was a fun, high octane romp that established the new trilogy, but I liked that Rogue One told a story I'd always wanted to see onscreen (along with all those dead Bothans) and it was everything I'd personally want. Also a beach planet!!!! Scarif is my fav Star Wars world aesthetically

Rogue One feels different than the other movies to me, which is exactly what I was wanting in the Story spinoffs. I really hope all of the side stories are this divisive

I find it interesting how people would complain that Lucas doesn't know Star Wars and twice in a row we have gotten Star Wars films where their writers and directors don't get it either.

Photographically Rogue One is barely Star Wars with its super shallow depth of field. The writing is either punny or stodgy with characters that no one remembers. I like Rogue One all the same though and think it is a well made piece of work.

Lucasfilm has had a pretty difficult time getting Star Wars and actually moving it forward without leaning on its past.

Top Bottom