• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

This guy knows the score....

Only way to kill air to air was the hawk flak weapon, which was frankly overpowered, everything else was a waste of time.
Well its ok being easy to shake. You shouldn't fire them so far away. A better strategy is to time your fire so they can't shake it. The damage buff makes it more worthwhile to use that weapon, I'd say.

Well its ok being easy to shake. You shouldn't fire them so far away. A better strategy is to time your fire so they can't shake it. The damage buff makes it more worthwhile to use that weapon, I'd say.
But that doesn't work either. In Warhawk you could get a lock and try to get close before releasing to increase your chances of getting a hit. In Starhawk if you get too close the missile overshoots and needs to do a loop to get back on track in which all hope for it hitting anything is lost.

But that doesn't work either. In Warhawk you could get a lock and try to get close before releasing to increase your chances of getting a hit. In Starhawk if you get too close the missile overshoots and needs to do a loop to get back on track in which all hope for it hitting anything is lost.
That's the key to the word "timing" =P.

It'd be cheap if it worked like Warhawk. Like I mentioned earlier, I got trounced last night in WH and a few of my deaths were from last minute homing missiles. I think well timed, well executed firing of missiles should be a great alternative to automated lock-ons that are harder to scrub and easy to target.

Watched the changes video. So what happens in Zones mode if the enemies come and destroy your home spawn? Insta-win? I hope not. There better be more to it like so much percentage of the map has to be acquired before being able to destroy home base.

Also, I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of incentive to leave home base. My prebuilt spawn structures idea where they were to be fought over/defended would have been the perfect way to deal with A) the 32 structure limit fiasco, and B) home base campers.

Wait, zones seems like my mode. Going by what I just saw in the stream, there are preset rift energy pockets to be protected and it expands your zones? Can anyone who has been watching longer explain how this mode works? Looks awesome with what little I've seen of it. Hell fucking yeah.

Edit: goddamn my phone's autocorrection.

Loudninja

Watched the changes video. So what happens in Zones mode if the enemies come and destroy your home spawn? Insta-win? I hope not. There better be more to it like so much percentage of the map has to be acquired before being able to destroy home base.

Also, I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of incentive to leave home base. My prebuilt spawn structures idea where they were to be fought over/defended would have been the perfect way to deal with A) the 32 structure limit fiasco, and B) home base campers.
It to becomes a problem they can hot fix it quickly,that system sounds awesome.

I'll be getting this day one. I adored Warhawk, got into it later when it was impossible (for me) to get the platinum so I settled for waiting for Starhawk. The beta blew me away, I had to stop playing it to avoid procrastinating in my classes and my girlfriend getting pissed as well. It's addicting, fresh and fun and I can't wait for it!

woolley

I still haven't decided if I'm gonna get this game or not. I loved Warhawk but I just don't like the B&B system. It just breaks up the fighting too much for me sometimes.

As much as I'm disappointed in the rest of the game, that Zones gameplay from the stream was pretty good. Having capturable bases changes everything, it needs to be added to CTF.

ijed

Is the Scrapyard Homeworld that comes with the SE something that's part of the game or a Playstation Home thing? Will it have razorback and sidewinder racing either in real-time or with leaderboards because that sounds pretty cool - would prefer it built into the game on the LBI engine rather than the Home engine though....

As much as I'm disappointed in the rest of the game, that Zones gameplay from the stream was pretty good. Having capturable bases changes everything, it needs to be added to CTF.
Indeed. The MP in the beta was not my thing. That zones, though, looks absolutely awesome.

Is the Scrapyard Homeworld that comes with the SE something that's part of the game or a Playstation Home thing? Will it have razorback and sidewinder racing either in real-time or with leaderboards because that sounds pretty cool - would prefer it built into the game on the LBI engine rather than the Home engine though....
It's more like a hubworld. A place to gather with clanmates and mess around.

ijed

It's more like a hubworld. A place to gather with clanmates and mess around.

Ah sweet - yeah it sounds like there's a few homeworlds each with different content - this one is just an exclusive one for people who get the SE and will be available for other people to buy as DLC

I'm still thinking about that planet/moon torn apart map. Looks insanely good.

I wonder what else is in store. Seems like we might get 2 maps per theme? 2 space, 2 desert, so 2 of everything else?

I think after watching the stream last night, I talked myself into picking this up on Tuesday. Been on a big RPG kick for some reason lately, and I'm going to be picking up Diablo III on the 15th, but Starhawk seems like the perfect game to have when I'm looking for something else to play.

The Lamp

Is there a way to watch the stream now that it's over? I couldn't watch it last night. :(

BTW I watched their top 14 questions video and I really like the decisions they made with flight. I bought Warhawk at launch and played it constantly but I always had to stay off the warhawks because I wouldn't last more than 5-10 seconds in the air before I was shot down and killed. I watched videos, tried to get better, but it was just too clumsy for me and other players were just way too good, so that part of the game was basically sealed off from my reach, especially since it didn't have a tutorial or single player mode. Starhawk was the first chance I got to learn how to fly hawks and last more than 10 seconds in the air. If the majority of people were like me then I don't see what's wrong in making it more accessible to the majority.

I'm fine with making the hawks a little more accessible but the giant circles around enemies hawks and the ridiculous ease of dodging everything but flak is too much.

I'm fine with making the hawks a little more accessible but the giant circles around enemies hawks and the ridiculous ease of dodging everything but flak is too much.
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't those reticules used in real life dog fighting? Either radar screens or during training exercises? I do know they've been used since the dawn of air-combat games. Why should starhawk only cater to the aerial gifted?

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't those reticules used in real life dog fighting? Either radar screens or during training exercises? I do know they've been used since the dawn of air-combat games. Why should starhawk only cater to the aerial gifted?
Starhawk is far from realistic, I don't know if those giant circles are used in real life or not and quite frankly I don't care. It's annoying, dumbs down the gameplay, and clutters the screen. It wasn't there at the start of the beta and I have no clue why they added it.

You don't have to be aerially gifted to spot a hawk in the sky without a giant circle in front of your face.

Starhawk is far from realistic, I don't know if those giant circles are used in real life or not and quite frankly I don't care. It's annoying, dumbs down the gameplay, and clutters the screen. It wasn't there at the start of the beta and I have no clue why they added it.

You don't have to be aerially gifted to spot a hawk in the sky without a giant circle in front of your face.
True. But perhaps amidst the backdrop and chaos, they could be hard to spot. Sure it dumbs it down, but only to those who'd have a hard time.

aegies

I think the circles indicate something can be locked onto – at least, that's what my time so far has insinuated.

Loudninja

Thank you. Will watch the review shortly. Added the launch trailer to the OP.

The outcasts' hawks reminds me of the alien from.. well Alien. They have that "smile".

Can't friggin' wait.
I can wait either, woefully I can get it this month.

I have to get a PS3 this week mine is busted.

mintylurb

Mang..I loved eating mines in warhawk..painful memories ;__;

KalBalboa

Banned
They broke the street date here in Massachusetts at a few stores. I'd love to get my copy today, but I wont be holding my breath.

Is the DLC from Gamestop really worth it? I'm getting the game for $20 off on a tsilon.ca deal on Futureshop and wondering if it's just worth ordering the game at GameStop instead if the DLC is going to cost more than $20 combined and if it's useful DLC.

Is the DLC from Gamestop really worth it? I'm getting the game for $20 off on a tsilon.ca deal on Futureshop and wondering if it's just worth ordering the game at GameStop instead if the DLC is going to cost more than $20 combined and if it's useful DLC.
They do say its $20 of extra content...

If a co-op map, 2 skins, the soundtrack, the ps1 original warhawk game, a home world to bs with buddies, a month of playstation plus and a coupon for $10 off of a headset isn't worth it to you, then get it for cheaper. I'm sure you can pick and choose what you'd want when it becomes available for purchase on psn anyway. The ost is $9.99 on the store alone though.

I actually just rented this last night. I have no idea why the video store by my place had it but they had put out 5 or 6 copies.

Servers aren't up yet but I played a bit of the single player. It's pretty cool, I guess. Seems like a tutorial for the online more than anything. I didn't play the beta so it's not a terrible thing.

Oh it's only a co-op map and a homeworld along with the PS1 game and soundtrack? I'll be happy with purchasing the co-op map later on possibly with the homeworld.

Oh it's only a co-op map and a homeworld along with the PS1 game and soundtrack? I'll be happy with purchasing the co-op map later on possibly with the homeworld.

+ 1 month of PSN+ and a $10 off coupon for bluetooth headset. and 2 exclusive character models for multiplayer. none of this is a HUGE deal, but if you're going to buy it anyways why not get the free stuff? still deciding if its worth it for me to go into gamestop

+ 1 month of PSN+ and a $10 off coupon for bluetooth headset. and 2 exclusive character models for multiplayer. none of this is a HUGE deal, but if you're going to buy it anyways why not get the free stuff? still deciding if its worth it for me to go into gamestop
He's saving $20 elsewhere though. So he can skip the stuff he doesn't want and save in the long run when it becomes available to purchase.

Because I'm purchasing it from somewhere that doesn't mess up my orders. I have no real interest in PlayStation Plus as I barely used the last free month I got of it for Starhawk.

I got a Turtle Beach P11 off Tsilon for $20 a week ago so I'm fine with the lack of the headset, and I'd only be interested in the soundtrack if it was a physical copy but isn't it a download? I also already have an exclusive Rift Hunter skin I got on here a couple of months ago for multiplayer.

The DLC seems tempting to me, but I doubt I'm really going to bother with the homeworld, the co-op really is the only interest I have in the DLC and it all depends on if I actually like the horde mode in the game.

Because I'm purchasing it from somewhere that doesn't mess up my orders. I have no real interest in PlayStation Plus as I barely used the last free month I got of it for Starhawk.

I got a Turtle Beach P11 off Tsilon for $20 a week ago so I'm fine with the lack of the headset, and I'd only be interested in the soundtrack if it was a physical copy but isn't it a download? I also already have an exclusive Rift Hunter skin I got on here a couple of months ago for multiplayer.

The DLC seems tempting to me, but I doubt I'm really going to bother with the homeworld, the co-op really is the only interest I have in the DLC and it all depends on if I actually like the horde mode in the game.

more power to you then!

New trailer released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgEV9NpNVLU&hd=1

This is what I'm talking about. Showcases the game a whole lot more.

that is an awesome trailer for a mp focused game. focused surprisingly on actual mp battle rather than rely on setpieces after setpieces to show what's cool. I really hope this sell well, I'm not a big mp guy but I think I'll get this to support them, and because it have sp mode now, co-op could be fun if I could convince my friend to play with me.

That trailer was brought to the thread this afternoon, but I don't mind watching it again. So good.

I do wonder, though, if people are too fixated on set-pieces and find actual gameplay action trailers to be boring. But what a fresh change though. The diverse gameplay IS the set-piece heh.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Would love to see this game succeed but not sure if I am going to get it... I probably will but I have to admit it's not screaming "must-buy" which I was hoping for.

The impressions in here seem valid to a degree. Definitely feel like they should have added a mode that's BnB-less and even think that's a no-brainer if you are confident in your product. I think most players appreciate choice and not providing that choice when it would be easy to implement confuses me.

The 32-limit build limit per team I would imagine is there for technical reasons as well as gameplay reasons. I'm more of a co-op sort of person though and I don't see that being a problem at all when you're playing the co-op mode.

In fact I see the co-op mode as being the biggest selling point for me.

Cyberia

Like its protagonist, Starhawk is a half-breed, something out of the ordinary and against tradition. It picks up the narrative slack on the battlefield, where a simple strategy system is an inspiring spin on the third-person shooter.

This hybrid form of thinking and shooting has a layered depth that comes completely to life in multiplayer, where building a fortress to protect a flag is as fun as flying headlong into the enemy’s HQ. Combining these gameplay elements seems so obvious that, in hindsight, it’s a wonder it’s taken this long to take off.

The defining factors of Starhawk will, in all likelihood, garner a strong community to support it for years. Deservedly so: This is multiplayer at its finest, and it’s among the best you’ll find on any platform.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224407p1.html

That aside, Starhawk is a boiling pot of real time strategy, vehicle combat and third person shooting, designed for gruelling tugs of tactical war. If the space setting appeals and you like shooters with a cerebral bite, there’s plenty to love. Just don’t buy it for the solo campaign alone – the story is thinner than the lunar atmosphere and essentially an elaborate training tool.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/review/starhawk-psn-review/

Starhawk is one of the most unique multiplayer experiences we played in a long time. The RTS elements create significant strategic depth and the action is a blast. Once we got a hang of the somewhat complicated gameplay systems of building bases and driving the various vehicles we didn't want to put the controller down. If you've been looking for engrossing, chaotic, large-scale multiplayer battles, Starhawk is going to satisfy your needs.

http://www.gamesradar.com/starhawk-review/

skynidas

Banned
It's not that Starhawk is a bad game. It's not offensive, and it demonstrates a surprisingly broad range of influences in its attempts to be something different in the online shooter space. But Starhawk feels half-there, like its pieces don't quite fit together, and it can't keep pace with other, better multiplayer titles out there.

Polygon 6.5

tusken77

So, a 9 and a two solid 8s so far. Nice. It's good to see the IGN scores for the two most important categories, gameplay and lasting appeal.

Gameplay. 9.5 It's awesome to summon structures, build bases, and go on the attack in powerful vehicles. This is a smart shooter that understands what makes great fun.

Lasting Appeal. 9.5 Unlockable skills and cosmetic customization are novelty perks to a multiplayer experience you won't want to let go of.

Top Bottom