• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

waypoetic

Banned
I got all the DLC free thanks to Plus. I played some of the new modes and absolutely loved the new mech suit.

Anyone up for a co-op game sometime? The new cooperative map gives you three towers to defend.

I'm up for some games tonight. I'll be at my girl this weekend so i'm only available today and thursday.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I have plus and downloaded the single player version. I really dug it, I had no idea they added all these crazy base building aspects.

If I get the online pass for $9.99, is that all I have to pay? If I cancel plus, will I still be able to play the game or will I have to buy the entire game to use my online pass?

After playing last night I just have to say fuck any mode that isn't Zones. I say this not having played the new modes yet though.

Seriously, it is not fun battling in your home base getting raped with lopsided teams and the only option is running out on your own to drop a tiny, weak spawn beacon that is almost useless. Oh and quitting nets you a loss. Wahoo! I don't normally care I just know that they'll add up if I'm forced to play anything other than zones.

Give me spawn zones in all modes FFS!

jayb

So, I have plus and downloaded the single player version. I really dug it, I had no idea they added all these crazy base building aspects.

If I get the online pass for $9.99, is that all I have to pay? If I cancel plus, will I still be able to play the game or will I have to buy the entire game to use my online pass?

You'll have to buy the $20 MP edition to play online. the $10 online pass is if you have a used disc and want to play online.

waypoetic

Banned
You know that feeling when there's a full server of 32 players and it feels like you're the only one doing shit, fighting off the enemy and building defenses?

I'm retiring from multiplayer games..

KalBalboa

Banned
You know that feeling when there's a full server of 32 players and it feels like you're the only one doing shit, fighting off the enemy and building defenses?

I'm retiring from multiplayer games..

I'm busy tonight, but Thursday night we can show 'em how it's done.

Marz

Started to get into the game and enjoying it a lot.....even though i'm getting completely destroyed every game lol.

xclaw

Dived into the single player thanks to plus. Getting a huge Firefly vibe from the soundtrack and am pleasantly surprised so far. Not really enjoying the whole build aspect to the game, does the game play mainly revolve around you making things?

Marz

Dived into the single player thanks to plus. Getting a huge Firefly vibe from the soundtrack and am pleasantly surprised so far. Not really enjoying the whole build aspect to the game, does the game play mainly revolve around you making things?

Depends. Multiplayer you're going to have to be able to manage all of your tools. Knowing when to build what, mastering each vehicle etc.

Building is a major part of the game though....what do you not like about it?

KalBalboa

Banned
My buddy and I played some split screen in the new co-op map last night. It was as fun as always, but the grizzly suits made mobility a lot easier, but they really don't take much to destroy.

waypoetic

Banned
These noobs never learn. We had two tank "depo's" in our base (map is Basin) and still this blind 'effer builds a new depo like right next to one of the others. Can someone explain that to me? A new tank depo is like 9 rift or something and spawning a tank from a depo is 4 rift.

I feel like a mom, cleaning up after my fucking kid when i join some of these servers. Like, 5 bike-depo's, 50 beamcannons jammed together inside the homebase (okey, 14) so they can't hit shit when a enemy Hawk lands in the base and wrecks our shit up and can escape unharmed because... Yeah.

Posted?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10...r-lightbox-interactive-hit-with-major-layoffs

Update: Sony has responded with a statement, confirming that it will no longer be working with LightBox:

Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm that it has amicably ended its working agreement with developer LightBox Interactive, Inc. We have had a positive and long-standing working relationship with this talented studio, and wish them the best of success in their next endeavor. Starhawk and Warhawk will continue to be supported by Santa Monica Studio.

Also, LightBox Interactive's President, Dylan Jobe, had the following to say:

I am not shutting down LightBox Interactive but I did pre-emptively inform my staff that there were going to be lay-offs on Friday -- 24 people to be exact.

Too often in our industry, people are "let-go" with no warning, no severance, no time at all to prepare their portfolios. It's actually quite terrible. That's NOT how we run things here at LightBox Interactive. The whole reason for me informing my team of lay-offs before they happen is so they have time to prepare. Collect stuff for their portfolios, capture screen shots or video -- the stuff that helps people land on their feet. All 24 employees were also given a severance package.

Why the lay-offs? Well, as you know... the industry is changing. We are moving away from traditional console development to self-fund the development of our next game on Apple's iOS devices.

Santa Monica Studio and Sony Computer Entertainment are fantastic people and great to work with. We have had, and will continue to have, a great relationship with everyone over there and I have no doubt that they'll continue to bring the kick-ass games -- and hardware -- to gamers everywhere.

Not sure what this means for the future of Starhawk.

this the WORST game I have bought over PSN, it is a complete disaster. I didn't like Warhawk that much, but I still had fun with it. I thought Warhawk was a poor man's Battlefield 1942 + Battlefront...but this game, argh I don't even know where to begin.

I have played 3 matches and I am not feeling it at all, game is just broken....

KalBalboa

Banned
this the WORST game I have bought over PSN, it is a complete disaster. I didn't like Warhawk that much, but I still had fun with it. I thought Warhawk was a poor man's Battlefield 1942 + Battlefront...but this game, argh I don't even know where to begin.

I have played 3 matches and I am not feeling it at all, game is just broken....

Play co-op yet?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Did they remove the multiplayer-only-digital-version from the PSN lately or what?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've seen the game for $13-15 online and at stores. You lose the convenience of the hard disk version, but I believe that puts the retail release on par price wise with the PSN versions.

Yeah... stupid PSN made it quite difficult for me to find it. Speaking of which, is it still worth buying this game for multiplayer only right now or there are not anymore players playing it already!?

waypoetic

Banned
So, i just started playing Starhawk and all of my DLC is gone. I'm in one of the original maps right now and i can't spawn the "Grizzly", it says it's "premium DLC". What the fuck is going on? I tweeted Dylan Jobe, no answer yet. I also tweeted the PS EU Blog, but they're just a god damn PR account so they won't give me an answer..

Pilgor

Yeah... stupid PSN made it quite difficult for me to find it. Speaking of which, is it still worth buying this game for multiplayer only right now or there are not anymore players playing it already!?

I just bought the game and I love it. No problem finding servers that are nearly full.

God fucking damnit, why aren't people playing zones?

That's why I stopped playing. I want to get back into this but zones is the only mode that works well with the bnb system and all I see is 3 zones games with 5, 5 and 4 players. Seriously?! Because TDM and CTF show off this game's potential? Fuck no. I've been trying to play alternate modes so it doesn't feel like I have a dead game in my possession but they just become distant base A vs distant base B and an ebb and flow of attack and defend with a vast amount of unused map.

PLAY ZONES, PEOPLE!

Playing the SP again, I really love the universe. How amazing would it have been if we were stationed on our space rig, able to travel to various planets or moons that listed jobs, their difficulty, and rewards before landing? Some of these rewards would be the ability to unlock new structures which may be required to take on other jobs. For example: "Thank you for the help. Ever need a Sniper tower, I'm your guy." Now you can drop down sniper towers which could now grant you access to missions that required it.

Too bad a sequel is not likely...
?

Was really looking forward to the beta of this game way back when, but never got around to playing. Might pick it up sometime in the near future.

whitehawk

Banned
Is the multiplayer still active for this game? I'm nearly done the single player campaign (I think) thanks to Plus, and want to try out multiplayer.

picked it up for $10 and since I finally beat GoW Ascension, I've been slowly digging into it. Im early on (trying to finish the single player before sinking my teeth into multi) but I'm liking it. Can't quite remember why the beta didnn't sit right with me but I am sort of feeling bad for waiting so long to support it considering what has happened to LightBox since. I really hope Sony somehow keeps the franchise, or at least the build/battle thing alive for a PS4 game somehow. It's a really novel idea and the PS4's focus on social play could do it a lot of justice.

The Light

Just hopped off and had some fun. Glad its still active just wish there was more zones and assault going on. This still the most original shooter on playstation right now. This game should be much bigger than it is.

jred2k

This game has now just been out for over a year and the developer is now 1/4th the size it was when the game launched and they're developing for iOS. Thats pretty sad all that can happen to a studio over the course of 12 months.

Alric

Was going to pick this up later after checking out some vids. I play warhark back in the day and loved it. Anyone still play this online? It looks like a blast.

Man, this game is still a joy to play despite some missteps. Played it the other night after the Star Citizen gameplay vids made me yearn for some space dogfighting.

Top Bottom