• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan rumors: HUGE Final Fantasy XV spoilers (plot, gameplay) + dev talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_castle

The FF fanbase at this point:

tumblr_ncjmi5zUPz1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

More like

when-your-parents-start-swiping-through-your-iphone.gif

So, if the rumor is true, is anyone holding off for the PC version?

Which is better, playing the badly optimized game early or a better performing one later?

On the one hand, 4chan rumors. On the other hand, this is Square Enix, so I wouldn't surprise me if at least parts of this were true. We will find out when the game releases.

artsi

Which is better, playing the badly optimized game early or a better performing one later?

I'll play it in September whatever state it is in, and double dip a few years later when the PC version arrives.

OrochiJR

Wow this stuff sounds really bad if true. After last year's release of MGS5 which was apparently only half of the game that was originally planned as well as SFV releasing this year in the state that it did it seems the former big Japanese companies of the olden days can't handle AAA game productions anymore.

CHC

Wow this stuff sounds really bad if true. After last year's release of MGS5 which was apparently only half of the game that was originally planned as well as SFV releasing this year in the state that it did it seems the former big Japanese companies of the olden days can't handle AAA game productions anymore.

Yeah that is a huge generalization but it does seem to be the case. It kind of makes me wonder what the issues are. The only thing I can think of in the case of FFXV and MGSV are that they are a) open world and b) running on a new, proprietary engine. In any case it is kind of troubling.

I don't know to what degree these rumors are true about Final Fantasy but it's obvious that development has been rocky to say the least.

Brentonp

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...riving-and-battling-through-final-fantasy-xv/

This was a pretty good article from someone who just played the first chapter of the game for 2 hours. They had a mix of some very good things to say and also some pretty bad things.

I liked the following section. It's good to hear that they actually came across 3 towns in the first chapter. Seems it's implied that they're small but that's fine with me. Makes the rumor/leak that most of the world is just empty sound pretty fake or like an exaggeration at least.

"In good news, I covered a ton of ground in my two-hour session, which mostly left me hungry to go back and see all of the content I skipped. The opening quests had me running toward mountains and abandoned factories surrounding that gas station, and after repairs were done, my four-man party drove through and past a giant mountainous pass. I had to run to a few specific points in that landmass to complete some required quests, but it wasn't hard to see monsters and other cool-looking content in the distance, out of the way from my main-quest requirements. Along the way, I encountered three "towns" replete with shops and restaurants, all of which were full of bounty request boards that would pay out for any adventurers who found and destroyed particular monster requirements."

Most worrying part to me:

"In really, really bad news, my demo crashed. A lot. In fact, I couldn't complete the game's first chapter due to a bug so crippling that my game hard-locked in a way that kept popping up when my system was restarted. As a result, I'm laying down a bet: if Final Fantasy XV makes its late-September launch date without a constant stream of game-breaking bugs, I will record myself eating... something gross (readers will be able to choose in a poll). That is how confident I am that Final Fantasy XV will not launch both on time and optimized."

Ray Down

Banned

Brentonp

L Spiro who worked on the game confirmed it's fake. He doesn't work there anymore since he wanted to move out of Japan, but he was the senior graphics programmer on engine optimization.

I have just read the leaks.
Whoever it is definitely does not have inside information.
It's a guy looking for attention, and everyone is just giving it to him.

L. Spiro
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73883607/854158005

We can definitely believe that guy? If so, that's great to hear.

benzy

We can definitely believe that guy? If so, that's great to hear.

L Spiro is legit. I have his linkedin account.

He posted this on another forum almost two years ago.

I am the new senior graphics programmer in Square Enix’s R&D department (Advanced Technology Division—Luminous Engine).

My main focus initially will be on the graphics the engine needs for Final Fantasy XV—I will be working on both Luminous Engine and Final Fantasy XV directly.
I hope to make a heavy contribution to a quality game that I hope you will all enjoy.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15738.msg220939#msg220939

Two people I've never heard and can't prove worked on any of this say contradictory things.

I'll just choose to believe the game is a hot mess until proven otherwise. That feels far more likely.

Ludens

Banned

A PC version is pretty much sure, SE wouldn't release ALL FF games on PC if they didn't intend to release XV too.
I think it depends on how much you are hyped for the game, D1 purchasers will gate the base game but probably there will be a lot of patches, and even DLCs.
PC users could get the "full" game, maybe with all DLCs much later with a budget price, but it's not sure if the game will be optimized. I mean, we had a lot of FF games, some are good ports, others are simply awful, so...also you need to consider SE told something like "if FFXV will release on PC, it will be a tech showcase", it means it will be very demanding but I don't know how much money they will put to actually optimize it, they could even release a "brute-force" version like Capcom did with DR3 in order to avoid to spend much money on the port.

So, they are crunching hard at SE, we should probably expect a big day one patch, but it's not a disaster. believable to me.

Well, if the "leak" is true and there are only 2 playable hours on PS4 with the game launching within 2 months (consider one month just to print the copies etc), well yes, it's a disaster.

L Spiro is legit. I have his linkedin account.

He posted this on another forum almost two years ago.

I am the new senior graphics programmer in Square Enix’s R&D department (Advanced Technology Division—Luminous Engine).

My main focus initially will be on the graphics the engine needs for Final Fantasy XV—I will be working on both Luminous Engine and Final Fantasy XV directly.
I hope to make a heavy contribution to a quality game that I hope you will all enjoy.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15738.msg220939#msg220939

Well, but this proves nothing. I'm not saying the leak is true, but if would work on something, the last thing I would do it will be going around saying the game I contributed to create is crap. I would say nothing or try to defend the game, expecially if I want to work with SE or in the industry in general again.

He doesn't work there anymore, so he can probably say what he wants. All Square could do is ask him to stop.

I think when you work on something, there are NDA to sign, so you can't actually speak about a game.

Twookie

ZSeba

L Spiro who worked on the game confirmed it's fake. He doesn't work there anymore since he wanted to move out of Japan, but he was the senior graphics programmer on engine optimization.

L. Spiro

I know we should trust a developer's word over some annonymous guy on 4chan, but what's he supposed to say about those rumors? 'Yeah, guys, it's all true, FFXV is fucked' ??

ZSeba

No way! I've been waiting for this game since 2007, I'll just play it in whatever state it is at release and be done with it for good hahah.
;___;

L. Spiro
And there it is.

Just puts into perspective how easy it is to fool people into uniting as this mass of gloom when playing on people's fears and uncertainty is involved.

DPtheGod

I know we should trust a developer's word over some annonymous guy on 4chan, but what's he supposed to say about those rumors? 'Yeah, guys, it's all true, FFXV is fucked' ??

He doesn't work there anymore, so he can probably say what he wants. All Square could do is ask him to stop.

benzy

Or maybe he just wouldn't say anything at all if they were true? He's not obligated to dismiss rumors, he doesn't even work at SE anymore. He only recently left for the UK.

BiggNife

The stuff about FFXVI not being in any kind of development and its existence riding on XV sounds absolutely insane to me.

I dunno. If this is true, then development sounds dire, and it's not like XV is a game that hasn't been rife with development issues before, but some of this just sounds so bad that I'd be shocked if all of it was true.

Ray Down

Banned
You know shit is fucked up when Kagari uses multiple dots...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206935263&postcount=194

She says she only know what was cut from the story right after though...

I knew this was fake the second I read that there won't be an FFXVI unless XV did well.

No way is that fucking happening.

Especially when SE after the failure that was 14 1.0, restarted the game and made a good mmo.

If 15 was bad they would do everything in there power to make 16 great.

benzy

Well, but this prove nothing. I'm not saying the leak is true, but if would work on something, the last thing I would do it will be going around saying the game I contributed to create is crap. I would say nothing or try to defend the game, expecially if I want to work with SE or in the industry in general again.

Exactly, if it was true he would just say nothing. How does a guy who actually worked on the game dismiss the rumor proves nothing? lol

DPtheGod

That's a good question.

I guess we could post in sequence, like

The below is false
The above is true

Then we see what happens.

What do you know about the playability? I perdonally don't want to read anything about the story. I'm curious as to how much is properly playable on console, not PC.

L. Spiro
Glad to have some sort of confirmation. Buggy E3 preview build aside, the Titan demo build looks alright from what I hear.

Slaythe

Why does anybody expect good graphics for this ? It's gonna look like ass.

We have to wait for Neo and Scorpio patches.

So they're 100% confirmed to be fake?
Can i read the plot part safely and then laugh about it?

I would read about it and laugh about it regardless of whether it's true or not. If it's not true, then you get to chuckle at the idea that half of this board believed this worse-than-fanfic script was reality. If it is true, then you know to have zero expectations heading into the game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People falling for these type of rumors are falling to a very basic trick.

Out of 100 fakes rumors, the likelihood is that one will turn out right by sheer luck or a guess from informed information already available.

One person sees that Titan was a pretty big focus of the last trailer released. The type of battles in FFXIV with summons are called Trials. A nice name for a gameplay challenge demo at a conference is a trial. Claims that Trial of the Titan will be the demo at e3. Once this 1 out of 100 fake rumors is correct people are ready to believe every single thing he says afterwards. And the amount of information dumped now is a lot instead of before. He's already got an in with people believing him.

The worst kind of trickery that people fall for is over Binary based rumors like was the case with Emily Rogers. People figured that Zelda would finally have voice acting at least for characters other than link after all this time, it would be pathetic if they didn't.

Either has Voice Acting - Higher Likelyhood
Does not have Voice Acting - Tradition so far, but lower Chance

Binary decision.

Then we come to the Female Character, possibly a choosable Female Link.

Has Female Link
Does not have Female Link

Binary again. They are the easiest claims to make that have a decent likelihood of coming out true.

When it was becoming apparent the further in the conference we had gotten that there wasn't going to be a Female Link or a playable Female Character, we still had people going "Buh buh but, Emily was right about the voice acting!".

This is the same trick that fortune tellers use to drag people in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom