• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan rumors: HUGE Final Fantasy XV spoilers (plot, gameplay) + dev talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of y'all really wanted this to be true, didn't you? 💀

Wanting and believing are two different things. The convoluted development of Final Fantasy XIII versus (now XV) is known by many.

What would be surprising is that they'd still have an utterly broken game engine. That I would not believe.

Tendo

At this point I think I'll just wait for the inevitable PC release. Which makes me sad :( Really looking forward to this.

artsi

L Spiro who worked on the game confirmed it's fake. He doesn't work there anymore since he wanted to move out of Japan, but he was the senior graphics programmer on engine optimization.

I have just read the leaks.
Whoever it is definitely does not have inside information.
It's a guy looking for attention, and everyone is just giving it to him.

L. Spiro
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73883607/854158005

Yeah, I was counting on it as he was posting to GameFAQs a lot.

L Spiro is legit, he was also vetted by GameFAQs before.

Gurnlei

I'm seeing people trying to convince themselves it's true and people trying to convince themselves it's not.

I don't believe the overly-dramatic info on how bad the game is development wise. I do believe a lot of the plot points are true since there's a lot of info that came out since the leaks that support it (not confirmed outside of the Titan battle name in the demo).

Maybe I missed something in the thread that proved the plot points wrong.

So they're 100% confirmed to be fake?
Can i read the plot part safely and then laugh about it?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't I did that to myself and honestly after seeing the E3 demos,and cut scenes, it's still very plausible.

I will say that one of the spoilers mentioned, the one with the cut scenes video from game stop has me worried.

You know the one where Noctis is inside a grave and picks up the halberd phantom weapon.

benzy

I will say that one of the spoilers mentioned, the one with the cut scenes video from game stop has me worried.

You know the one where Noctis is inside a grave and picks up the halberd phantom weapon.

We also collected phantom swords in Episode Duscae and have known it would be part of the game for the longest time now...

Einhandr

People falling for these type of rumors are falling to a very basic trick.

Out of 100 fakes rumors, the likelihood is that one will turn out right by sheer luck or a guess from informed information already available.

One person sees that Titan was a pretty big focus of the last trailer released. The type of battles in FFXIV with summons are called Trials. A nice name for a gameplay challenge demo at a conference is a trial. Claims that Trial of the Titan will be the demo at e3. Once this 1 out of 100 fake rumors is correct people are ready to believe every single thing he says afterwards. And the amount of information dumped now is a lot instead of before. He's already got an in with people believing him.

The worst kind of trickery that people fall for is over Binary based rumors like was the case with Emily Rogers. People figured that Zelda would finally have voice acting at least for characters other than link after all this time, it would be pathetic if they didn't.

Either has Voice Acting - Higher Likelyhood
Does not have Voice Acting - Tradition so far, but lower Chance

Binary decision.

Then we come to the Female Character, possibly a chooseable Female Link.

Has Female Link
Does not have Female Link

Binary again. They are the easiest claims to make that have a decent likelihood of coming out true.

When it was becoming apparent the further in the conference we had gotten that there wasn't going to be a Female Link or a playable Female Character, we still had people going "Buh buh but, Emily was right about the voice acting!".

This is the same trick that fortune tellers use to drag people in.

This guy gets it. I would never believe a rumor from 4chan of all places.

Brocken

Banned
Well, if the "leak" is true and there are only 2 playable hours on PS4 with the game launching within 2 months (consider one month just to print the copies etc), well yes, it's a disaster.

Guys, guys you can't really believe things like that :(

We also collected phantom swords in Episode Duscae and have known it would be part of the game for the longest time now...

Right, I just didn't think it was that important to the story.
Now it appears to be confirmed that it is just like the spoiler indicated.

I honestly thought the phantom powers would be collected via simple boss fights,found in treasures or the phantom ability would simply level up.

benzy

I honestly thought the phantom powers would be collected via simple boss fights,found in treasures or the phantom ability would simply level up.

Why wouldn't it be story related? There's a whole gameplay mechanic based around phantom swords associated with old kings. The story involves Noctis being the decendent of old kings... lol

I don't know about you but Duscae blew me away.

The frame rate drops were indeed very noticeable.

My main gripe with FFXV (based on Duscae demo) is that the world is rather empty.
It's not smart to have little items you find scattered on the map the way they did it.

Items you find on the map should be more obvious, sorta like what they do in Resident evil 4 by laying barrels,crates,bird nest, glowing jewels hanging from trees,or stuck on walls.

There were these abandoned huts scattered throughout the demo, I though it was rather sad not being able to enter them and find loot.

Why wouldn't it be story related? There's a whole gameplay mechanic based around phantom swords associated with old kings. The story involves Noctis being the decendent of old kings... lol

That's the point I made about leveling up the phantom ability,if Noctis is the descendant of the old Kings, shouldn't he already have the power of the Phantom swords with him?
But now is officially part of the quest so I guess that's cool.

Falk

that puzzling face
What do you know about the playability? I perdonally don't want to read anything about the story. I'm curious as to how much is properly playable on console, not PC.

Despite joking around in this thread, I honestly have no comment on anything with regards to the game that hasn't been specifically revealed by Square Enix to public. Because I worked on the game, anything I do or say can (and has been) used to further an agenda, be it positive or negative regarding the product, and I value our working relationship with Square Enix and all our other clients to risk accidentally misrepresenting them or their products via personal opinions.

Heck, moderation actions right before Uncovered to help curb spoilers in a spoiler-free thread came under pretty close scrutiny.

Anything shown at E3, yeah I'll opine on that and engage in discussion.

edit: Similarly, as I noted earlier in the thread, just because I post in here doesn't represent an implicit confirmation nor denial of any rumors. Not anything posted on 4chan, not anything posted on GameFAQs.

Not finding the Phantom Swords, a key element seen at the very UNVEILING of the Versus XIII trailer back in 2006 would NOT be a major part of the story? Really? Every trailer pre-FFXV and up through FFXV has shown that that ability(Phantom Swords/Armiger) is one that makes Noctis(and Regis) special.

Given that they WERE labeled as weapons belonging to former Lucian Kings, it wasn't pretty hard to come to the conclusion that they'd be buried with them. And who's to say you won't encounter a boss trying to get one? You might enter a tomb and find that the weapon is missing, or something has made it its home (think Darill's Tomb in FFVI).

Not finding the Phantom Swords, a key element seen at the very UNVEILING of the Versus XIII trailer back in 2006 would NOT be a major part of the story? Really? Every trailer pre-FFXV and up through FFXV has shown that that ability(Phantom Swords/Armiger) is one that makes Noctis(and Regis) special.

Given that they WERE labeled as weapons belonging to former Lucian Kings, it wasn't pretty hard to come to the conclusion that they'd be buried with them. And who's to say you won't encounter a boss trying to get one? You might enter a tomb and find that the weapon is missing, or something has made it its home (think Darill's Tomb in FFVI).

That's what I get for thinking logically as in the are "PHANTOM SWORDS" sorta like a soul or spirit, a power that is simply passed on to the next generation.
Not really psychical.

But yeah, I guess I haven't kept up that well with the story.

DPtheGod

Despite joking around in this thread, I honestly have no comment on anything with regards to the game that hasn't been specifically revealed by Square Enix to public. Because I worked on the game, anything I do or say can (and has been) used to further an agenda, be it positive or negative regarding the product, and I value our working relationship with Square Enix and all our other clients to risk accidentally misrepresenting them or their products via personal opinions.

Heck, moderation actions right before Uncovered to help curb spoilers in a spoiler-free thread came under pretty close scrutiny.

edit: Similarly, as I noted earlier in the thread, just because I post in here doesn't represent an implicit confirmation nor denial of any rumors. Not anything posted on 4chan, not anything posted on GameFAQs.

Hmm, fair! I envy your position!

How about this. In the thread where we saw the three Gamespot videos posted, the one with Noctis running around the desert and found that shack, and then was attacked by that group of... whatever they are lol, was that gameplay from a console? If so, then I feel satisfied. I'm really looking forward to this game, and it's gonna take more than a sluggish looking performance at launch to turn me away.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hmm, fair! I envy your position!

Actually, it's a double edged sword. I grew up on JRPGs and loved them. Now everything I work on, I don't exactly go in fresh anymore ;p. Wouldn't give up what I do for anything though.

How about this. In the thread where we saw the three Gamespot videos posted, the one with Noctis running around the desert and found that shack, and then was attacked by that group of... whatever they are lol, was that gameplay from a console? If so, then I feel satisfied. I'm really looking forward to this game, and it's gonna take more than a sluggish looking performance at launch to turn me away.

I honestly do not know. But really, in the spirit of my previous post, I'd just refer back to what Tabata-san said at his stage presentation - the public can check out the state of the PS4 and XB1 builds via the Titan E3 demo booths, and there have been many impressions on those, even on GAF.

paolo11

Wait, you worked on FFXV? If you do, that's awesome. I didn't know this

DPtheGod

Actually, it's a double edged sword. I grew up on JRPGs and loved them. Now everything I work on, I don't exactly go in fresh anymore ;p. Wouldn't give up what I do for anything though.

I honestly do not know. But really, in the spirit of my previous post, I'd just refer back to what Tabata-san said at his stage presentation - the public can check out the state of the PS4 and XB1 builds via the Titan E3 demo booths, and there have been many impressions on those, even on GAF.

Ah damn, okay! Also, I am curious now, what did you do for FFXV? Was it marketing or something internal?

Overall the biggest issue I am seeing reported are the crashes.

Falk

that puzzling face
Square Enix?

LR:FFXIII, KH2.5.

Technically Duscae and Platinum demos are released too, lol.

(This is going way off topic, let's leave it at that)

I'm expecting controversy, but not on this level. This would kill mainline FF games. So let's not believe a random guy on the internet.

Geg

Finally decided to bite the bullet and read all the story bits now that I'm fairly certain it's fake. Tbh the wouldn't be that bad if it were true, they could probably make it work if the writing is good enough.

The stuff with Ardyn being the final boss is pretty feasible, I've already speculated about that being the case myself. But yeah, no mention of mysterious hooded guy who's supposedly still in the game.

Finally decided to bite the bullet and read all the story bits now that I'm fairly certain it's fake. Tbh the wouldn't be that bad if it were true, they could probably make it work if the writing is good enough.

The stuff with Ardyn being the final boss is pretty feasible, I've already speculated about that being the case myself. But yeah, no mention of mysterious hooded guy who's supposedly still in the game.

People are guessing that the Hooded Man is
Ravus Nox Fleuret (whom people believe is Luna's brother)
, as listed to be appearing in Kingsglaive. He has the same voice actor as the Hooded Man. Chances are that he WILL still appear in the final game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Even if the story elements aren't true I could totally see the technical side of things being utter chaos. Hell even in the streams of playable footage at E3 its all been on PC with PS4/Xbone getting some really basic demos that clearly had extra polish to run. The game is going to be a mess, but I'll still buy it for PC if and when it comes out.

BlueWord

People are guessing that the Hooded Man is
Ravus Nox Fleuret (whom people believe is Luna's brother)
, as listed to be appearing in Kingsglaive. He has the same voice actor as the Hooded Man. Chances are that he WILL still appear in the final game.

Called it! Can't wait to hear more about him, hopefully tomorrow.

Styles

Slaythe probably meant the footage we saw of Duscae in 2014? Because the game has seen a nosedive in everything compared to that footage. But that was obviously running on PC, so w/e.

Slaythe probably meant the footage we saw of Duscae in 2014? Because the game has seen a nosedive in everything compared to that footage. But that was obviously running on PC, so w/e.
That footage was likely running an iteration of the engine that wasn't tailored to the PS4/XBO hardware. It is likely they dropped some of the lighting tech to favor the current gen consoles and i highly doubt it can be back unless SE releases a completely new version of the game for Neo/DX12/Scorpio.

Just read it. This is so damn fake lol. I know it's been pretty much confirmed at this point, but if I would have read it from the get go, I wouldn't have worried about it being real at all.

jett

D-Member
I'll say this much about these rumors. It's odd that they have so little to show of the game, when it's coming out in three months. I'd expect a big blowout Zelda-style at this point in time. It's supposed to be this massive open world RPG but we've literally been seeing the same shit and locations the last couple of years. Journos were only shown the first couple of hours, right? Isn't that pretty much the demo they released?

I didn't read all of the rumors on the off-chance they're real, but considering the game's troubled history I wouldn't dismiss them entirely.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll say this much about these rumors. It's odd that they have so little to show of the game, when it's coming out in three months. I'd expect a big blowout Zelda-style at this point in time. It's supposed to be this massive open world RPG but we've literally been seeing the same shit and locations the last couple of years. Journos were only shown the first couple of hours, right? Isn't that pretty much the demo they released?

I didn't read all of the rumors on the off-chance they're real, but considering the game's troubled history I wouldn't dismiss them entirely.

Nintendo also had to remove a bunch of stuff for that playthrough. I'd rather they finish the game and leave me surprised with stuff instead of trying to make a demo where they remove everything.

Ever since Uncovered, we've seen plenty of stuff. I also imagine that they're trying hard not to show certain things that fall under spoiler territory.

artsi

That they're not spoiling late game areas is just a good thing IMO.

jett

D-Member
Tabata just confirmed one of the spoilers on stream:
Returning to Lucis/Insomnia is the game's final destination.
Nintendo also had to remove a bunch of stuff for that playthrough. I'd rather they finish the game and leave me surprised with stuff instead of trying to make a demo where they remove everything.

『Inaba Resident』;207387921 said:
Ever since Uncovered, we've seen plenty of stuff. I also imagine that they're trying hard not to show certain things that fall under spoiler territory.

That they're not spoiling late game areas is just a good thing IMO.

One thing's late-game content, but I feel we've only seen the beginning of the game. When it comes to story I really only know the very basic setup. Sort of. Not even sure how it starts exactly.

Highly doubt any of it's true. Guy caught wind of Trial of Titan title from the leaky Microsoft press conference? Ok, sure, but I doubt this guy knows about the development behind the game at SE. 4chan leaks are a dime a dozen, just look at /vp/ during leak season and the recent Halo "leak".

theofficefan99

Tabata just confirmed one of the spoilers on stream:
Returning to Lucis/Insomnia is the game's final destination.

One thing's late-game content, but I feel we've only seen the beginning of the game. When it comes to story I really only know the very basic setup. Sort of. Not even sure how it starts exactly.

They never said Insomnia was the final location of the game. Rather that it's towards the very end of the game. Probably pre-final dungeon.

Also, it's not that hard to guess.... at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom