• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

TaroYamada

All of these links should be edited into the OP.
edit: nvm, just noticed that a moderator must have removed all but one of the Reddit posts.

We're working on that aspect, not sure what's up. The posts were well within the rules of those subreddits.

edit: reached out to joystiq.

Grief.exe

If you want to vote then vote with your money. I hope Rising sold enough to make Sega take notice.

I picked up Rising day one, but Sega is an outsider on that deal.

Happy to be apart of the first Platinum and Metal Gear game on Steam. Hope to have many more of both in the future.

Plus its one if the best games of last year.

Konami published the Steam version of Rising.

Sega, probably more than any other japanese dev or publisher, has really embraced steam the last 3 years or so. It's just that some of their decisions have been strange imo. Like giving us sega bass fishing instead of something like skies of arcadia. I think this petition is a good idea because it will give them an idea of the kind of games that will garner the most interest.

Exactly, lets Sega know exactly what we want rather than flailing in the dark.

Konami and Capcom have really surprised me latley. Hit the nail on the head with MGR and RE4 respectively.

1,790 signatures, the petition has grown quite a bit since I last looked at it.

I picked up Rising day one, but Sega is an outsider on that deal.

Yeah, but it is still a Platinum game, and if that one sells well on Steam, maybe Sega will look at Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns or even Mad World. It could be a win for both companies. Platinum would get a lot more exposure and Sega could make some money on Steam.

Speaking of Sega PC ports, this thread made me pull out Daytona USA Deluxe and Sega Rally Championship 95 for Windows 95, just for laughs. I still have the discs for both these games. Though I also had the PC port of Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter 2 as well, but I lost those years ago. First of all, both these games were a pain in the ass to install from the disc, I actually used Wine in my Linux Mint partition with Windows 95 comparability just to get either of these games to install. Once they were installed, I copied the directories over to my Windows 7 partition.

Both games actually do work on Windows 7, but Sega Rally suffers from some weird framerate fluctuation that makes it unplayable, it seems to hover between 30FPS and 37FPS when I look at it on fraps. The framerate judders so badly, that it makes the game unplayable, even on an i5 2500K. The game's max resolution is 640x480 at 16bit colour mode, and I can't switch to windowed mode unless I set my desktop to 16bit colour. On my screen these sreen shots were stretched to a horrible 16:9 aspect ratio:

REbkO5d.png

Slypipw.png

My Logitech f310 gamepad actually works though, which was surprising to me, and the game music works too. But you need to have a CD in the drive for that.

Daytona USA Deluxe on the other hand does fare a little better. The game has a software rendering mode as well as a Direct3D mode.The framerate in software rendering is oddly stuck at 29FPS and never drops or goes over that number.

B43DAxA.png

Playing the game in Direct3D mode adds filtering, perspective correction and a fox effect that you can control via a slider. Oddly when in Direct 3D the framerate is capped at 25FPS and never drops under or goes over it. It's quite strange. The games max resolution is still 640x480 at 16bit colour., this goes for both modes.

MdrKfLg.png

The game is actually playable at both framerates though, as they are consistent, but it's still sub 30. Gawd damn!

I would love to see the 360 XBLA port of Daytona USA get a release on PC, but I doubt it will ever happen with the Daytona license. But I wouldn;t mind it if they released the game on PC under the Sega Classic Racing title.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Konami published the Steam version of Rising.

Sega, probably more than any other japanese dev or publisher, has really embraced steam the last 3 years or so. It's just that some of their decisions have been strange imo. Like giving us sega bass fishing instead of something like skies of arcadia. I think this petition is a good idea because it will give them an idea of the kind of games that will garner the most interest.
Oh I know. It's just similar to the other Plat games in their backlog.

TaroYamada

1800 signatures, unfortunately it appears whatever mod at reddit caught onto the r/steam post. It's been removed and it was our most successful reddit post, truly unfortunate.

Grief.exe

1800 signatures, unfortunately it appears whatever mod at reddit caught onto the r/steam post. It's been removed and it was our most successful reddit post, truly unfortunate.

What a travesty.

Complete joke. Reddit had spoken unanimously in favor of the ports. One power-drunk mod with an agenda changed that.

1,790 signatures, the petition has grown quite a bit since I last looked at it.

Yeah, but it is still a Platinum game, and if that one sells well on Steam, maybe Sega will look at Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns or even Mad World. It could be a win for both companies. Platinum would get a lot more exposure and Sega could make some money on Steam.

Speaking of Sega PC ports, this thread made me pull out Daytona USA Deluxe and Sega Rally Championship 95 for Windows 95, just for laughs. I still have the discs for both these games. Though I also had the PC port of Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter 2 as well, but I lost those years ago. First of all, both these games were a pain in the ass to install from the disc, I actually used Wine in my Linux Mint partition with Windows 95 comparability just to get either of these games to install. Once they were installed, I copied the directories over to my Windows 7 partition.

Both games actually do work on Windows 7, but Sega Rally suffers from some weird framerate fluctuation that makes it unplayable, it seems to hover between 30FPS and 37FPS when I look at it on fraps. The framerate judders so badly, that it makes the game unplayable, even on an i5 2500K. The game's max resolution is 640x480 at 16bit colour mode, and I can't switch to windowed mode unless I set my desktop to 16bit colour. On my screen these sreen shots were stretched to a horrible 16:9 aspect ratio:

REbkO5d.png

Slypipw.png

My Logitech f310 gamepad actually works though, which was surprising to me, and the game music works too. But you need to have a CD in the drive for that.

Daytona USA Deluxe on the other hand does fare a little better. The game has a software rendering mode as well as a Direct3D mode.The framerate in software rendering is oddly stuck at 29FPS and never drops or goes over that number.

B43DAxA.png

Playing the game in Direct3D mode adds filtering, perspective correction and a fox effect that you can control via a slider. Oddly when in Direct 3D the framerate is capped at 25FPS and never drops under or goes over it. It's quite strange. The games max resolution is still 640x480 at 16bit colour., this goes for both modes.

MdrKfLg.png

The game is actually playable at both framerates though, as they are consistent, but it's still sub 30. Gawd damn!

I would love to see the 360 XBLA port of Daytona USA get a release on PC, but I doubt it will ever happen with the Daytona license. But I wouldn;t mind it if they released the game on PC under the Sega Classic Racing title.

Sega model 2 emulator by elsemi got your back covered.
Pc ports were great but nowadays arcade versions are better, plus the xbl port is just the emulated arcade rom.

It's easy to setup and it's the real thing.

Grief.exe

With that said, I would consider 2000 signatures in 24 hours a success. If we can get media attention somehow than I think we have a very good chance of getting an impact.

I will repost the reddit threads sometime down the line to garner some more votes.

TaroYamada

With that said, I would consider 2000 signatures in 24 hours a success. If we can get media attention somehow than I think we have a very good chance of getting an impact.

I will repost the reddit threads sometime down the line to garner some more votes.

Yeah, the reddit situation is a blow but it doesn't make this effort a lost cause. 2000 was my goal earlier today and it's still doable.

TaroYamada

You got fucked over by Reddit? Why would that happen?

To my understanding some mod takes issue with grief and I's campaign? but I'm not absolutely certain, Grief is in charge of the reddit effort. Regardless we were within the rules of most of the subreddits we posted in, except one. These reddit posts were highly upvoted and usually in the top 3 links on their respective subreddits, r/steam, before being pulled had ~410 upvotes.

Earlier we lost most of the original reddit postings, r/steam managed to remain up for sometime afterwards.

Mechazawa

I thought most subreddits had their own, distinct moderators. I guess it was some "global" moderator being a shit or something?

Mechazawa

Yeah, here the moderators for each subreddit:

r/Steam:
timbro1
Reiniger
Kuiper
AutoModerator
dihydrogen_monoxide
Cheesydude
steam_reddit

r/PCGaming
paro
HardwareLust
misterwizard
CSFFlame
PineappleMeister
AutoModerator
Ali-Sama
starthirteen
homer2320776
OpTic_Niko
BotWatchman

r/pcmasterrace
pedro19
Melvar_10
Aerodamus
AutoModerator
Tizaki
notwitty_username
TGxPatriot
the_Magne
One_True_Gaben
gavin19
Guck_Mal
Hauberk

r/gaming
Dacvak
AutoModerator
el_chupacupcake
Pylons
pastanate
airmandan
IKingJeremy
synbios16
Thorse

No real overlap, except for automoderator which is presumably just a bot. You makin' enemies high up the food chain, Grief?

I guess Grief could always message one of the mods of each subreddit and ask what happened to his thread.

TaroYamada

No real overlap, except for automoderator which is presumably just a bot. You makin' enemies high up the food chain, Grief?

I guess Grief could always message one of the mods of each subreddit and ask what happened to his thread.

I believe he began a dialog with some last night, we'll see where that gets us tomorrow morning (I'm PST most of you guys are already living in tomorrow, so later today for you folks, hopefully).

akaoni

Banned
Would the bot pick up on a single user making a number of posts in quick succession on different reddits, even more so duplicates?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I was thinking that we could try and tweet Kamiya, Inaba, the other PG guys and developers of games we want to be ported about the petition, if they shows their support it could give the cause a boost, as far as audience goes, anyway.

Not just "do you want to port bayonetta to PC" because the answer would be "ask Sega", but something nicely written could be of some use.

TaroYamada

I was thinking that we could try and tweet Kamiya, Inaba, the other PG guys and developers of games we want to be ported about the petition, if they shows their support it could give the cause a boost, as far as audience goes, anyway.

Not just "do you want to port bayonetta to PC" because the answer would be "ask Sega", but something nicely written could be of some use.

I think it's a great idea, me and grief both tweeted atsushi inaba. I would target Inaba explicitly, please tweet him!

Reddit's a fucking joke with their power hungry mods, it's a shame they have so much influence.

We still gotta figure out what went down for sure, I'll try to wait to pass judgment for now unless you're right, then that'll be super lame.

Lime

I wish the petition would've included Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate, since the petition isn't even targeting one single game, but several ones. I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but I'm just sad that a small group of people decided on other people's behalf instead of including some form of choice or versatility or inclusion.

TronLight

I think it's a great idea, me and grief both tweeted atsushi inaba. I would target Inaba explicitly, please tweet him!

Should we agree on something to write? It should be one nice tweet, even if broken in two or three parts, but we should do this only once and try and get their support.

TaroYamada

Should we agree on something to write? It should be one nice tweet, even if broken in two or three parts, but we should do this only once and try and get their support.

I think we should just use the hashtag #segapcports, link to this thread or directly to the petition, or both if you can fit it in the character limit. If you really want a unified message I'd love to hear some ideas, bounce em off me. If we go forward with a unified address towards atsushi I'll paste it in the cluttered OP.

Ah okay, thank you for clearing that up.

It sounded more like the moderator (TGxPatriot) was mocking the campaign.

By participation I largely meant he was there, he let it stand and it's odd that he did; had it been a violation it makes more sense he would have ended it there. It was within the rules judging by the sidebar so it should have stood.

Sega model 2 emulator by elsemi got your back covered.
Pc ports were great but nowadays arcade versions are better, plus the xbl port is just the emulated arcade rom.

It's easy to setup and it's the real thing.

Oh, I realize there are superior Model 2 emulators. But I thought it would be interesting to pull out some of these old ports I purchased nearly 15 years ago and try them on modern hardware. Both the above games are almost straight ports of the Saturn games, no where near arcade perfect.

Nillansan

By participation I largely meant he was there, he let it stand and it's odd that he did; had it been a violation it makes more sense he would have ended it there. It was within the rules judging by the sidebar so it should have stood.

All the down-votes probably took him by surprise and in a hissy fit he proceeded to close the thread.

TronLight

I think we should just use the hashtag #segapcports, link to this thread or directly to the petition, or both if you can fit it in the character limit. If you really want a unified message I'd love to hear some ideas, bounce em off me. If we go forward with a unified address towards atsushi I'll paste it in the cluttered OP.

I was thinking about about a simple message, that should make clear that we are their fans, we play on PC and as such we'd love to see their games on the platform, so we started this campaign and if they agree with our idea we'd love a sign of support from them.

Ushiwaka

Some media attention!

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/01/sega-pc-ports-campaign-launches-petition

If we manage to get more sites front-paging the petition, it would be really awesome and helpful.

And about the whole "Nintendo may have the rights to the first Bayo" thing. It is getting ridiculous. SEGA owns the rights to EVERYTHING Bayonetta related. Sega did more Bayonetta related things than Nintendo even after the Bayo 2 reveal. They made an anime movie, they released the first game on PSN and they finally released that art book. So why people believe Nintendo has anything to do with Bayonetta 1 is beyond me. Sega just gave the publishing rights for Bayo 2 to Nintendo. That's all. Even (TW101 spoilers)
for having Bayo, Jeanne and Rodin in TW101, Ninty had to get Sega's permission.
so I'm pretty sure sega completely owns Bayonetta IP. Even Bayo 2 is "© 2013 Nintendo © SEGA" so I guess Nintendo doesn't even own Bayo 2 rights completely. Just the publishing rights.

TaroYamada

I was thinking about about a simple message, that should make clear that we are their fans, we play on PC and as such we'd love to see their games on the platform, so we started this campaign and if they agree with our idea we'd love a sign of support from them.

Sounds good to me, how about something like:

"Atsushi, since we enjoy Platinum's titles so much, please support our #SEGAPCports endeavor to grab SEGA's attention and increase their Japanese PC output, link to petition, link to neogaf (if it fits)"

Some media attention!

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/01/sega-pc-ports-campaign-launches-petition

If we manage to get more sites front-paging the petition, it would be really awesome and helpful.

And about the whole "Nintendo may have the rights to the first Bayo" thing. It is getting ridiculous. SEGA owns the rights to EVERYTHING Bayonetta related. Sega did more Bayonetta related things than Nintendo even after the Bayo 2 reveal. They made an anime movie, they released the first game on PSN and they finally released that art book. So why people believe NIntendo has anything to do with Bayonetta 1 is beyond me. Sega just gave the publishing rights for Bayo 2 too nintendo. That's all. Even (TW101 spoilers)
for having Bayo, Jeanne and Rodin in TW101, Ninty had to get Sega's permission.
so I'm pretty sure sega completely owns Bayonetta IP. Even Bayo 2 is "© 2013 Nintendo © SEGA" so I guess Nintendo doesn't even own Bayo 2 rights completely. Just the publishing rights.

This is the first non-sega site, to the OP.

Keasar

I have signed this. I will buy a Bayonetta and Vanquish PC port, even though I own them already on console, immediately upon release. 60 FPS 1080p Bayonetta and 60 FPS 1080p with Mouse and Keyboard support Vanquish can have all my money.

TaroYamada

1900 sigs

Awesome, I'll send him a tweet. Thanks!

Steamchat gaf says welcome, or at least I say they do.

Few updates, Neogaf user saj resubmitted to r/gaming via incgamer's story, the link is included in the OP but it's also here. Please go upvote it, maybe going through a decent sized press outlet recognized in metacritic rankings will provide some protection from the previous issues.

@Tronlight, I made a minor edit to my suggested tweet, reread it please

@thread, sig goal will be set in stone today, grief and I decided to wait for the first day to be over to make our decision. Discussion will take place whenever he comes on steam today.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the petition would've included Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate, since the petition isn't even targeting one single game, but several ones. I'm probably sounding like a
broken record, but I'm just sad that a small group of people decided on other people's behalf instead of including some form of choice or versatility or inclusion.

It's because the mentioned games will be a lot cheaper to port and relatively easy to bring over, with MGR sales hopefully showing Sega it's worth it. We're appealing to Segas wallets as much as anything.

Those games were decided because it makes more sense, not because noone wants to see Valkyria Chronicles or Resonance Of Fate on PC.

Top Bottom