• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discover Classic Samples used on Hip Hop albums

Few things in this world are better than sample-based Hip Hop, so here's a great YouTube series. It's ongoing and I will update the OP when new videos are released.

It's always interesting to hear the original tracks and the beats side by side. Makes you really appreciate the likes of Dre, RZA, Premo, Havoc, Q-Tip and so on. Respect to the original artists and rappers too who did their part in making most of these releases a classic.

cratedigging5cuot.jpg

2Pac - All Eyez On Me
2Pac - Me Against The World
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes And Life
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Big L - The Big Picture
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Capone-N-Noreaga - The War Report
Common - Be
Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name
DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Dr. Dre - 2001
Eazy-E - Eazy-Duz-It
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
Fugees - The Score
Gang Starr - Daily Operation
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
GZA - Liquid Swords
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
Joey Bada$$ - B4.Da.$$
Juice O.S.T.
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Kanye West - Late Registration
Kanye West - Graduation
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Nas - Illmatic
Nas - It Was Written
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
O.C. - Jewelz
Outkast - Aquemeni
Outkast - ATLiens
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother
Puff Daddy - No Way Out
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (revisited)
Redman - Muddy Waters
Redman - Whut? Thee Album
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Souls Of Mischief - 93 'Til Infinity
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever
Wyclef Jean - The Carnival

2Pac
Common
Fat Joe
Gang Starr
J Dilla
Nas
Prodigy
Rakim
The Beatnuts

Female MCs
Late Greats
Latino Artists

Bonus:

The Infamous is an all-time great album and it's one of my favorite clips from the list above. Both of these samples were only discovered more than 15 years later. Classic tracks, just an example to show people who don't listen to Hip Hop how sampling can be done.

Shook Ones (Part II) sample Herbie Hancock - Jessica
Survival Of The Fittest sample discovered after 20 years

I fucking love the Shook Ones sample mix.

There was one with Missy Elliot's The Rain that combined the two tracks into one cohesive song, but I can't find it anymore

thank you. subscribed

Edit: Was watching The Low End Theory vid and when the DJ got to "Scenario", He did the a jerk off motion with his hand when Phife say "bust a nut inside yo eye". Glad to know i'm not the only one to do that

Ronabo

I still remember buying the cassette of Eazy-Duz-It back when it came out at a long gone department store chain called Swallen's.

I couldn't believe it when I found out chirpy cockney duo Chas and Dave were the originators of the hook on Eminem's "My Name Is". These should be good.

Thanks!

Anth0ny

yeah this is a rabbit hole I go down sometimes. end up watching these for hours lol. so interesting.

I plan to produce music someday and look forward to sampling the FUCK out of some old classics.

LordRaptor

I'm never not going to find it amusing that Ducky from NCIS is responsible for one of the most iconic tracks of the early 2000s

see5harp

Man I miss the productions Kanye used to do for other people. You might say that he's doing the same thing only with a bunch of studio musicians and directing the sound but it's not the same to me. His voice used to be so clear with the sample.

One record store I buy records from in Toronto has a small section dedicated to just the singles used for various hip-hop samples. They have a little sticky on each single indicating what hip hop track it was used for. Interesting idea IMO

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Was Jazzy Jeff actually doing anything with the sample in that Shook Ones clip or was he just playing the original edited sample made like 6 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QS4CTtltg

Not to take away from his DJing since i know he's a legend but is he just scratching over that original edit?

e: Just noticed the Jazzy Jeff clip is from 2011 as well. Still seems to be just playing the youtube audio though.

Top Bottom