• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does -1996- rank among the BEST EVER years in hip-hop?

The recent passing of Prodigy of Mobb Deep fame got me thinking this morning about when I first heard a Mobb Deep song, which was their 96' release Hell On Earth. It was the title track that I heard and it sat heavy on my soul and made me want to pick the album up. It still sits heavy to this day. It wasn't their first album of course, but it was the first of theirs *I* heard. Anyway, that got me thinking about that year in hip-hop, the albums I heard and picked up. I burned through my memory banks and collect some album covers...what an epic fucking year. In no particular order:

PoK1x2x.jpg
QL4BBjh.jpg
fe1xqug.jpg
5JTYEQi.jpg

Ox1qjVA.jpg
YdnlKsa.jpg
RfYYW0E.jpg
R51IcN8.jpg

kKY7ppF.jpg
YoqvqgM.jpg
TfCNK05.jpg
LS5peNA.jpg

8CqrjcZ.png
HEg9xfc.jpg
iPOIB1m.jpg
aXwRQ3T.jpg

OmAh8hm.jpg
LBowyPX.jpg
1tBGNaO.jpg
tydo6fh.jpg

fBv1HVg.jpg
5vzqKmx.jpg
G9O3DqZ.jpg
5X70nJ2.jpg

These are all the ones I could remember and I'm sure there were plenty more. I count no less than 17 certifiable classics here that no hip-hop fan should be without.

Several of those albums were the "blow up" albums for a lot of these artists, launching them into national and international celebrity. Jay-Z's 1st studio album (and still probably my favorite) which was launched with the single, Ain't No. Busta's first *big** album with Woo Haa! and Everything Remains Raw. Master P's first hit album with Mr. Ice Cream Man and Bout It Bout It. Tela's Sho Nuff, Crucial Conflict's Hay, Nas' If I Ruled The World and Street Dreams, Too Short's Gettin' It and Buy You Some, Lil' Kim's Crush On You, The Roots legendary cynical take on current hip-hop videos in their video and song What They Do, Heltah Skeltah's Operation Lockdown, De La's Stakes Is High, Geto Boys' The World Is A Ghetto, and seemingly countless other huge songs and singles that helped define artist early careers or otherwise put them on the main stage of popular music. I could post a dozen more video links but I'll leave some of that digging to you all should you be so inclined.

And note that we haven't even gotten to 2Pac's two epic albums (including his final) and the countless hits on both, the goddamn FUGEES work of art, OutKast's first really popular and epic ATLiens album, and arguably the best (certainly top 3) Wu album of all-time in Ghost's Ironman. And then there were soundtracks like The Nutty Professor and A Thin Line Between Love And Hate which had their own enjoyable hits. You even had Shaq making completely passable songs with The Notorious BIG, Jay-Z and a few others.

For the sake of argument (and entertainment), I'm going to stan for it as the single best year ever for Hip-Hop (though I also loved me some '95 maybe just as much with my other 2 favorite Wu releases of all time, E. 1999 Eternal and some others...). Some of my all-time favorite albums are pictured above.

So where do you put it among hip-hop's very best years, GAF fam?

collige

Banned
How you gonna put up all those albums and not have Dr. Octagonecologyst, OP?

It was a pretty great year though.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Shame on you OP

211003194.jpg

You also forgot to mention a little obscure DJ Shadow album but I guess that is classified as Trip Hop

LosDaddie

Banned
Great thread, Dreams.

1996 holds a special place in my heart because I just turned 16yo, got my drivers license & first car. I owned nearly all those albums you listed on CD and played them all in my car nonstop.

ATLiens still gets regular play by me. Fantastic album.

Solid year. I'll always be a fan of 1988. If only "Paid in full" got released 6 months later then that would be unbeatable.

Realyst

Eh, 96 (or maybe 97) was the last great year of hip hop before the arrival of Kanye in 04, but not the GOAT year. That would be somewhere between 93 and 94.

Kelsdesu

Good year.

Lyricist lounge, Pete Rock and soundbombing 1 came out I think a year later (or maybe 2), so behind that.

How you gonna put up all those albums and not have Dr. Octagonecologyst, OP?

It was a pretty great year though.

I'm sorry fam, I never heard that album. I heard the ones I listed :(

How you gon' leave my girl Foxy Brown's Ill Na Na off the list?

51vlEIrjZjL.jpg

I forgot her. That album had hits!

Schattenjäger;242842657 said:
Shame on you OP

211003194.jpg

You also forgot to mention a little obscure DJ Shadow album but I guess that is classified as Trip Hop
I'm sorry; I only ever heard one song of his. Some song that was made into a music video.

Edit: Ya Playin Yaself

Unfortunately, my Jeru experience is limited to that.

It was the year 2pac died.

It sucked.
Fair.

Um, excuse me, you forgot about Space Jam.

51tEMNPtjtL.jpg

Who says the bunny can't rock? You're buggin'.

Space Jam, Nutty Professor, and Thin Line Soundtracks all in the same year. Whew.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Every year from 95 to 98 could be in the argument, depending on your tastes.

Highlights from 95:

Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Bone Thugs - East 1999 Eternal
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
GZA - Liquid Swords
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Onyx - All We Got Iz Us
Raekwon - OB4CL
The Roots - Do You Want More
2Pac - Me Against the World
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
Three 6 Mafia Mystic Stylez

97:

Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes
CNN - The War Report
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Common - One Day It'll All Make Sense
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Jay-Z - Vol.1 In My Lifetime
Twista - Adrenaline Rush
Rampage - Scouts Honor...By Way Of Blood
Killarmy - SWFQW
Missy Elliot - Supa Dupa Fly
Mystikal - Unpredictable
Wu-Tang Forever

98:
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
Busta Rhymes - ELE
Cappadonna - The Pillage
DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Jay-Z - Vol. 2, Hard Knock Life
Juvenile - 400 Degreez
Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
N.O.R.E
Ras Kass - Rassassination
Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1

99:

Dr. Dre - 2001
DMX - ...And Then There Was X
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Jay-Z - Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday
Slick Rick - The Art of Storytelling
Mobb Deep - Murda Muzik
Meth & Red - Blackout!
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

In the end, I think 1996 wins out, especially when you add Ras Kass' Soul On Ice to the list in the OP.

Look at these fucking lists though. I was EATING as a teenager. Golden Fucking Age, I miss you!

We were all eating fam. late 90s were just nuts in retrospect.

I still remember where I was when I heard Notorious Thugs. And as a Clevelander, seeing Bone blow up with Thuggish Ruggish Bone into like...every fucking track on E. 1999 Eternal was all the feels.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
We were all eating fam. late 90s were just nuts in retrospect.

I still remember where I was when I heard Notorious Thugs. And as a Clevelander, seeing Bone blow up with Thuggish Ruggish Bone into like...every fucking track on E. 1999 Eternal was all the feels.

I'm from Akron.

Bone blowing up had cats feeling pride, even though we aren't from Cleveland.

I don't know if a collective has ever leveled up that fast, outside of Wu-Tang. Creepin On a Come Up was alright, then one year later they show up with E99 like they were in the hyperbolic time chamber.

'96 was the last time classic hip hop albums were released on a monthly basis.

It's definitely in the top five, maybe even a contender for top three.

Number one is '95, without a doubt.

The Infamous
OB4CL
Liquid Swords
Dogg Food
Me Against The World
E. 1999 Eternal
Safe + Sound
Mystic Stylez
Dah Shinin'
Livin' Proof
KRS-One
Real Brothas
Goodfellas
In A Major Way
Soul Food
Return To The 36 Chambers
All We Got Iz Us
Season Of Da Siccness
Jealous One's Envy
95 Live Part I & II
Do You Want More
Doe Or Die
Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Sittin' On Chrome
Coast II Coast
1990-Sick
Curb Servin'
Mack 10
Labcabincalifornia
Temples Of Boom
IV Life
Made In America
Conversation
Friday OST
Tales From The Hood OST
The Show OST

I could go on, these are all good to classic albums. That year was insane.

^ Indeed, I can't say anything but good things about '95. Liquid Swordz, OB4CL, and Soul Food (specifically Dirty South and Cell Therapy) still get weekly play from me, 22 years later. Though after those and E. 1999, I still personally find '96 to be a more complete year. Maybe its highs weren't quite as high, but it was just so consistently strong all year long. IDK, I'm conflicted. lol

I'm from Akron.

Bone blowing up had cats feeling pride, even though we aren't from Cleveland.

I don't know if a collective has ever leveled up that fast, outside of Wu-Tang. Creepin On a Come Up was alright, then one year later they show up with E99 like they were in the hyperbolic time chamber.

My man.

E. 1999 --> Notorious Thugs with BIG and Thug Love with 2Pac...what a run.

Also, I can't think of too many more complete albums than E. 1999.

East 1999, Crept and We Came, Budsmokers Only, Tha Crossroads, 1st of The Month, Buddah Lovaz, Mo Murda... It was all just so good. But I admit to being biased. The pride is/was too real.

I haven't listened to a lot of these, but It Was Written, Kollage, and Hard Core are among my favorite albums.

You put in wack ass Master P, but forgot about both Foxy's Ill Na Na and Nine's Cloud 9.

31QVBZW141L.jpg

As some one from the bay area 93 - 96 are my favorite years. Fuck I'm old

I grew up in Detroit and Memphis. Bay Area hip hop during that era was the shit! I even like the Sacramento rappers C-bo and Brotha Lynch Hung! As to OP, 96 was monumental for Southern Hip Hop. UGK's Ridin Dirty and Outkast's ATliens really blew up nationally. On the East Coast, 94 was the year when WU-Tang,Nas and Biggie debut. New York rap had a resurgence nationwide so most East Coasters 1994 the best year. Unfortunately, 1996 was the year West Coast hip hop took a step back after 2pacs death.

Top Bottom