• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best song made specifically for a game

sigmaZ

Personally, I think Chrono Trigger's "Corridors of Time" is the best song made for a video game (though to be fair it's a toss up between this and Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2.)

Aye. One of the GOATs when it comes to relaxing melancholic stuff.
But then there's also Wild Arms town themes:

Oh and Alundra of course:

Oh, and wait. There's also BoF3!

Oh, Persona as bonus.

This one is not as relaxing, but still GOAT when it comes to character themes.

Oh, and what the heck for some old school non-RPG vibes, Super Double Dragon.

Bonus remake:

Last edited:

lordrand11

Aye. One of the GOATs when it comes to relaxing melancholic stuff.
But then there's also Wild Arms town themes:

Oh and Alundra of course:

Oh, and wait. There's also BoF3!

Oh, and not quite as relaxing, but Persona as bonus.

Dude, Alundra (and even 2) and Wild Arms had some bangers.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Halo 2
Blow Me Away by Breaking Benjamin

Only the strongest will survive.
Lead me to Heaven when we die.
I am a shadow on the wall.
I'll be the one to save us all.

Doczu

Well a month ago i would say Snake Eater from MGS3, but after playing Nier Replicant i must say that hands down Song of the Ancients is the king of all

You may not understand the words, but after playing you just KNOW what the song is about

Toots

Gold Member

What is that beat making my heart quiver ?
:messenger_grinning_smiling:
Dance Speedo GIF

Thank you from the bottom of my heart rodrigolfp rodrigolfp for making me discover this gem :messenger_blowing_kiss:

On topic tho
This has to be one of the most beautiful piece of music i ever heard in a video game.
I feel like i hear it more with my heart than my ears, if that makes any sense.

Edit :
The best COD rap ever (you guessed right it's not the 21 savage one).

Also the 2nd best video game rap ever, the first one being of course :

Here's the last verse for non french speaker :
"You're getting on my nerves, Peach
And i know a few gangsters who'd call you differently
You're lame you're dressing kitsch,
Tho i was told not to judge people on their appareance.
Still i think you have kind of a behavioral problem
You give me headaches disappearing all the time
And i have to go search for you everyday.
Could we spend one week
Without you getting kidnapped by some lazy dinosaur
Yes im talking about Bowser, that stupid dinosaur.
Now you'll stay at home and obey my orders
And if you are really well behave, and do as you're told,
Luigi and i will come draw some quotes and check your pipeworks"

Last edited:
part of it is my ring tone since forever

People did imho just not get the game, but master Hans Zimmer doing video games now and then is perfection. He nailed the "maximum power/speed" premise.

I think all three composers of the game did a great job, but Kara's character and themes hit the hardest

The soundtrack can be listened to all day. Which is afaik a core element that even though it always wanders towards some powerful moments it always has to allow for endless repeat and smooth seamless transitions to the next track.

That said the only two soundtracks I have practically in their entirety in my spotify playlists are Dirt2 and Far Cry5. The former is I think only licensed stuff but the latter also with a ton of music made for the game, but one example has already been posted so I did not add it here.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I was thinking of getting a few song recommendations to listen to, but there was quite a bit of participation:messenger_grinning_sweat:. This demonstrates how valuable video game music is for most of us and how it leaves its mark on us.

I discovered many new tracks and added many of them to my Spotify playlist. I revisited many old classics and felt happy. I'm sure there are still many beautiful songs that haven't been shared, and I'm sure many of us have an extensive 'honorable mentions' list, but I thought we can't listen to too many songs at once, so I wanted us to share our favorites.

I didn't know that the term 'song' was used more for a piece with lyrics in it; I was referring to any kind of melody that includes notes and sounds pleasant:messenger_grinning:

You have good tastes, Gaf. Thanks for the shares. If more tracks are shared, I would gladly listen to them.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Omikron. Nomad Soul. David Bowie. Not just a song, basically a album. And was a character in the game. Ahead of the curve as always our Dave was.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Idk, all of Panzer Dragoon series soundtracks I guess, games used to have their own music as default, companies had their own orchestras and bands and musicians making stuff for them rather than licence it same as any other game dev field so there are so many how do you pick just one?

Panzer Dragoon Saga closing credits is the absolute GoAT, so let's get the right one in here:

All this SEGA love is giving me too many feels.

Frwrd

I’m surprised no one’s put up Gustavo Santaolalla’s TLoU theme in here.

Anyways, I’d pick any of MGS’ wonderful songs but I think this one needs some recognition.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Spoiler for Baldur's Gate 3 Fight. Loved everything about this. I still listen to it constantly. Just brilliant the whole scene

Also Suikoden Series with the GOAT intro's.

Mortisfacio

Liked this one quite a bit. Only just now found out through searching for this video that Booker DeWitt and Joel from TloU are the same voice actor, since he does the guitar for this.

Bojji

Don't know if this was posted. I stopped in this dungeon just to listen to this, amazing

Persona 4 has great OST in general but this one is IMO the best. Japanese developers and CDPR are kings of music made specifically for games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom