• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEXICO EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: over 200 casualties, 44 building collapsed in Mexico City.

What a tragedy 😭

Prepare your water, keep it at home, in your trunk of your car. It's not about drinking it when you're thirsty but also for cleaning wounds for people who are injured.

Not good.

I just moved to Guadalajara a few days ago and was living in one of the areas that I'm hearing was significantly affected, all my friends in Mexico City are ok for now but it's quite devastating what has happened

Mikef2000

I live in the southern region of Mexico city (Copilco), thankfully I'm fine after the earthquake but a small crack appeared in my bedroom wall. It seems like it is only superficial damage, should I worry?

Pic:https://imageshack.com/i/pngqza3Hj

Don't worry about this crack. That is pretty much nothing. First of all, it would have to be in a load bearing wall to matter any. Secondly, that crack is barely superficial. Any significant crack in a concrete structure that shows signs of structural damage would have to be in a load bearing element( column, beam, shear wall. etc) and it would be a gap of over a milometer in width.

I'm an architect, by the way. so it's not a tales out of my ass kind of post.

Fercho

Shit is bad.

Mexico City GAF, if you can support with the following items for the Colegio Enrique Rebsamen , will be greatly appreciated.
20992599_10212369526784842_7664638317720118877_n.jpg

Global GAF, if you want to help, you can make money donations to the organization working in rescuing people, TOPOS Mexico

https://twitter.com/topos/status/908000616575680512
Paypal: donativos@brigada-rescate-topos.org topos.mx

Pikma

Banned
They're currently trying to rescue a little girl who they identified to be alive but are really having a hard time because of the fragility of the structure that's above her which is what's keeping her alive

They're currently trying to rescue a little girl who they identified to be alive but are really having a hard time because of the fragility of the structure that's above her which is what's keeping her alive

The Admiral from the Navy who is in charge of the rescue operation has took the decision to rescue her with the Topos because using heavy machinery it's a huge risk for her

Fercho

Another building just collapsed near me.

Yeah , i received notification that 2 buildings just collapse today.

división del norte y Américas

eje 5 and división del norte

If people from CDMXGAF is in a damage building not autorized yet by "Protección Civil" should leave.

Yeah , i received notification that 2 buildings just collapse today.

división del norte y Américas

eje 5 and división del norte

If people from CDMXGAF is in a damage building not autorized yet by "Protección Civil" should leave.

Good advice.

Raptor

My hopes and prayers to my brothers there in the Mexico city Im at Tamulipas and I wish I could help, hopefully no more losses and collapsed buildings. stay strong please :(

Zhadgon

I am from Mexico City, is really heartbreaking seeing all this buildings destroyed with people inside, I live in "Del Valle" that is one of the most damaged zones, hope every Gaffer is ok that lives here in México.

.n_n.

VARIA

What's scary in huge earthquakes like this is that you don't know whether you'll be safer running outdoors (which seemed to work best in this earthquake) or ducking and covering (like you're told).

I live in Los Angeles and the threat of "the big one" is always looming.

What's scary in huge earthquakes like this is that you don't know whether you'll be safer running outdoors (which seemed to work best in this earthquake) or ducking and covering (like you're told).

I live in Los Angeles and the threat of "the big one" is always looming.

Mexico City has major soil issues that LA doesn't have, which amplify the threat of earthquakes on buildings. Stay inside and get under a desk.

Alebrije

They're still trying to rescue the little girl...

Praying she survives all of this

It seems now are two kids , but hard to reach. The rescuers took the long but most secure way to use just humans called Topos instead of machines. the army is using more powerful thermal scanners that the one used few hours ago, they can penetrate the concrete and find smaller heat emissions.

Hope they can save both kids.

Pikma

Banned
Authorities say they're three kids and with the use of the thermal scanners they are able to confirm that they're still alive

I wish this was getting more international attention. I can't tune out from this rescue efforts in this elementary school. My heart aches for that poor 12 year old girl that has been for the past 30 hours inside that rubble.

I'd say this warrants a new thread. "Frida Sofia" is trending worldwide. More people should know about this.

Pikma

Banned
I wish this was getting more international attention. I can't tune out from this rescue efforts in this elementary school. My heart aches for that poor 12 year old girl that has been for the past 30 hours inside that rubble.

I'd say this warrants a new thread. "Frida Sofia" is trending worldwide. More people should know about this.
I say go ahead and do it, this definitely deserves more attention

Another day filled with effort by a lot of brave human beings, helping in the distance as much as I can, still alot to be done.

For any Gaffers that wish to join and help out too, Amazon has an official Wishlist for the Red Cross. They are in desperate need of tools like lamps, shovels and the likes.

Here's the link

Arol

NYT coverage has been pretty good, but I'm assuming most people don't read it.

Haven't really seen much coverage in the news or even water cooler talk in the office.

Donated some.

Still no power where I am. Just managed to get some mobile data for the first time in 10 hours or so.

So frustrating to be stuck in the middle of it and not really know what's going on.

Okay, I'm really pissed at the government, they refused help from Switzerland for no reason! And if that wasn't enough, the political parties, except MORENA, refuse to give even 20% of their millionaire budget for disaster relief from next year's election because that would be against the law! what a load of crap! madness! I hope every Mexican remembers this during the 2018 election, this scum has to go! Boy am I livid right now.

AlexBasch

Okay, I'm really pissed at the government, they refused help from Switzerland for no reason! And if that wasn't enough, the political parties, except MORENA, refuse to give even 20% of their millionaire budget for disaster relief from next year's election because that would be against the law! what a load of crap! madness! I hope every Mexican remembers this during the 2018 election, this scum has to go! Boy am I livid right now.
Yeah, "b-b-but our campaigns!"

Shut the fuck you fucking piece of human garbage. Not only we have to deal and pay for your fucking faces plastered everywhere, now we know our money goes to promote your goddamn political party instead of people in need.

There are no words for the absolute hatred I feel towards those motherfuckers. No words.

A shame, but the government probably does not want engineers form other countries finding some irregularities on the construction of certain buildings. And when it comes to money, political parties always use the law as an excuse to not help. Ah, but when it comes to paying fines from breaking campaign laws they do everything in their power to not pay them. Political parties in Mexico are trash.

Edit: it also makes me mad how big the budget is going to be for the next elections in 2018, bigger than 2012 and those pieces of shit can not donate a mere 20%.

RAWi

Seems like the help just got accepted by Mexico

https://twitter.com/CH_Mexico/status/910714412922699776

🇲🇽acepta el grupo de ings. de🇨🇭que apoyará en la detección de daños en edificios. Se están definiendo detalles. Esperamos su pronta llegada.

"Mexico accepts the Switzerland engineer group, which will support with the damage detection of buildings. Details are being defined. We wait your prompt arrival."

Seems like the help just got accepted by Mexico

https://twitter.com/CH_Mexico/status/910714412922699776

"Mexico accepts the Switzerland engineer group, which will support with the damage detection of buildings. Details are being defined. We wait your prompt arrival."

Looks like the pressure made them change their opinion. Same with donating money from campaigns. Looks like political parties found out now it is not the time to go "but legality". INE (the institutions that regulates campaigns budget) is saying they do not oppose donating money form campaigns, it is just a matter of finding the correct legal mediums. Hope they really end donating some money, the people really need it.

Top Bottom