• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEXICO EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: over 200 casualties, 44 building collapsed in Mexico City.

RC

Banned
Here is a map of (some of) the collapses in the City. Poor Condesa neighborhood. I live on the western part of the city and fortunately we suffered no major damages over here.

My mom's apartment complex has a bridge that connects the parking lot with the apartments and it got completely separated from the main structure, however.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=19.391228662521268,-99.10922342131175&z=12

In stayed in Condesa last year.
This is awful.

SalvaPot

I got confirmation through watsapp that my family is fine, at least the closest relatives, my family is huuuge there, but so far everyone seems to be fine. Its so scary.

Also the amount of victims is just going to increase, it was too sudden and a lot of people are trapped in buildings that collapsed.

For reference, the Earthquake of 85 claimed 30 thousand victims.

Pikma

Banned
There are some livestreams out there where people are getting rescued alive from under the debris

It's surreal but also really heartwarming

Guamu

I really really fucking hate the people that spreads false information on social media after an event like this.

SHyWhkwAPz2naOvMxVSFILTeOs9WWpEWZDNm2rOuYv3PEyB-o3AXFCpywnWHjmpo8qodrimjLWtFQAHa7m4kAd7dAZPpCObeJGYAWSEs8qrurFYjQScdFs17VcDCH3B1HrdGytl4NRHKGKUMWZAAPwu80IgP1_a-CnZ351go-7Vl2bwjZokNkpUn_RixNGMBmE46O8XHOYmDFopImQqeOyySvAw9cJvebrVmQZXRtH7iFxScMOtioWQvvA=w486-h303-nc

CTLance

Man, the pictures and numbers are terrifying. Nature remains scary, no matter how far we advance as a species.

Best of luck, Mexico City, and my condolences for all victims.
I hope the poor folks that are trapped under all that rubble can be rescued.

I'm ticked off at American news channels right now. At least 120 dead in the southern neighbor because of the deadliest earthquake in 32 years and it has been barely a footnote. They'd rather continue talking about whatever shit Trump is in now. When there was a terrorist attack in France with a dozen dead CNN and Fox News went all over that shit for a fucking week and reporting on site!

I'm sorry. It's sorta irrational anger but I can't help but feel there's a definite bias when covering bad shit happening in Europe vs, in this case, Mexico.

Fewr

I'm ticked off at American news channels right now. At least 120 dead in the southern neighbor because of the deadliest earthquake in 32 years and it has been barely a footnote. They'd rather continue talking about whatever shit Trump is in now. When there was a terrorist attack in France with a dozen dead CNN and Fox News went all over that shit for a fucking week and reporting on site!

I'm sorry. It's sorta irrational anger but I can't help but feel there's a definite bias when covering bad shit happening in Europe vs, in this case, Mexico.
Same at FT.com.
I'm a subscriber and this event is nowhere in the main news section. Front page is something Trump said about NKorea.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Brown people don’t matter to the ratings machine

Alebrije

Yep it's irrational , but saddly we live in an irrational world.

Brown people don’t matter to the ratings machine
I'd be offended if it wasn't true. Right now Anderson Cooper was talking about hurricane Maria that hasn't even made landfall yet! Fuck this shit.

EDIT: same bullshit on Fox News. Maria targeting Puerto Rico. You know what was already targeted as in the pat tense? Mexico City!

Fewr

It's getting dark already.

The media still talk about the couple of 6 year old girls inside the collapsed school rubble talking to their parents using whatsapp.

They've ordered helicopters to stop flying around to check if they can hear cries for help.

Anticol

Banned

It's like you guys dont know how americans are, they only care about them you can even see reflected in their education system.

Alebrije

There is a school with nearly 400 kids (6- 10 years old )that collapsed, some trapped kids are sending whatssup messages to their parents.

Tagyhag

My cousin was vacationing in DF but thankfully he's ok. My mom says that he might be shook enough to come home early, I hope he didn't see anything bad.

Still, over 100 deaths, disgusting.

I mean, that's par the course for news over here. Look at what's happening in Nigeria, nobody's talking about it.

Doesn't help that our President is probably happy about the earthquake.

Cess007

There is a school with nearly 400 kids (6- 10 years old )that collapsed, some trapped kids are sending whatssup messages to their parents.

What those parents and kids are going through must be the most awful feeling in the world. I hope they can save them :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shit, this was today? Fuck. Hope the damage is minimal.

All these earthquakes are dangerously close to Cali. Makes it seem like it's only a matter of time before it's our turn. We actually just had a minor 3.6 one in Westwood just yesterday.

8 kids confirmed dead in one of the collapsed schools, 2 still trapped and in touch with their families through whatsapp. 9 more kids are still missing. :(

Raining is starting sadly, that will make things more complicated :/

If any gaffer wishes to donate even just a little, you can do so via PayPal to the Topos, a historic organization that were also present during the 85' earthquake: donativos@brigada-rescate-topos.org

I'm shook with all this news. Got a lot of family and friends in Mexico City and although they've all confirmed they are okay, it breaks my heart seeing the chaos and destruction that's happening in my Country.

lord

I still feel weirdly dizzy, i went to take a shower finally and I couldn't tell if it was me or the ground, had to take a look at the hanging light I have to make sure it was just my head. What a fucking day. Also, donate guys, I already gave all my disposable income and some. So fucking sad over all of this.

It's like you guys dont know how americans are, they only care about them you can even see reflected in their education system.
Fox News whining about the liberal media's negative response to Trump's UN speech. I just can't anymore. At least Cooper at the top of his show paid lip service to the earthquake. The Five on Fox hasn't.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't know what radio station you're hearing but their sources are 100% bullshit. That's been proven to be one of the many fake news pieces that have been propagated after this earthquake.
I’m in the US so I’m having to rely on second and reporting. The ESPN guys are the only people covering it in Houston.

Top Bottom