• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

RE Fantasy already seems like it's the venue for Hashino to explore ideas he originally had for P5 (i.e. backpacking around the world fits like a glove for a classically styled fantasy RPG).

I'm expecting ReFantasy to at least have real time combat after they've talked about how tempted they were to have it in Persona 5.
I can see that, and depending on how it's done it might be interesting. He raises a good point that turn-based lends itself better to a focus on preparation. If it action based, it will certainly help to set the series apart from other Atlus titles.

I can see that, and depending on how it's done it might be interesting. He raises a good point that turn-based lends itself better to a focus on preparation. If it action based, it will certainly help to set the series apart from other Atlus titles.

Atlus' last attempts at action combat were the Raidou games, which still felt like they maintained the need for party building/fusion and generally RPG heavy mechanics, but the actual real time combat elements were fairly basic.

It would be interesting to see what P Studio would do with a more action based combat system, considering that the last big non turn based game Hashino's team made was Catherine, I wonder if we'd end up with something a bit unconventional.

Mediking

Regarding ReFan:

Put Soejima behind the designs.

Give the MC a set personality or voiced lines.

Have it out the door before 2020.

Almost all Atlus games are high quality so I'm really not worried about gameplay. They pretty much nailed turned based gaming in Persona 5.

Regarding Persona 5's inevitable spinoffs:

Go big or go home. Either do a Female Jokeress that many people wanna see with added extra content AND ALL THE DLC INCLUDED OR do a fighting game.

Or just call it a day and whip up Persona 5 X Persona Q. That's really the first spinoff I'm expecting. It just seems too easy to whip up and push out.

Have it out the door before 2019... try to hit 2018 at all costs.

Whatcha think?

Sophia

My thoughts on the various story arcs for Persona 5 (ALL SPOILERS)

Most of them are pretty good, and Kamoshida's arc is definitely one of the hardest hitting. The real problem are Yusuke and Haru's arcs. Yusuke's art undermined the themes of the game set up with Kaoshida, and Haru's arc is basically setup for the main final arc. While Maradame's dungeon is okay, Okumura's dungeon is one of the worst in the game. I really wish more effort had gone into Okumura's plotline, rather than it being a mere stepping stone for the final act. Especially considering there's a character associated with the arc.

The main reason for the delays was PS4 development, all the 2D assets needed to be redrawn to be suitable for the system.

Interesting. I wonder if this is related to the fact that a ton of portraits and stuff were redrawn during development? Maybe they drew the assists at 720p or lower, and realized that it looks terrible at 1080p?

During early development, a freeform real time combat system was considered. Combat is supposed to be the culmination of all your pre battle considerations however, and direct control changed the focus to be exclusively on the battles instead of relying on the preparation and planning. They would have had to rethink the entire game to make the combat action oriented.

It's nice to see an RPG developer acknowledge that the choices you make going into combat are just as important as the choices you make once battle has started. It's something I feel that developers, western and Japanese, have kind of missed in their intent to streamline RPGs.

Can't wait for the P5 spinoffs. Let's all try to guess what singular personality trait will define the cast in all the side material! Haru's will definitely be
coffee

Go big or go home. Either do a Female Jokeress that many people wanna see with added extra content AND ALL THE DLC INCLUDED OR do a fighting game.

Would a female MC in P5 even be realistic? A teen girl staying with a random single guy seems a bit inappropriate, but I'm not a Japanese culture expert.

I'm still playing P5 so I don't know what I would want out of an expanded version, aside from a better localization and complete translations for the JP audio, and textures that don't look like they came from a PS2 game. But I can't imagine a FES version because it feels overloaded with content as it is. I'd rather them just put those resources into doing some new small IP a la Catherine, but I know I'm in the minority and people love their spinoffs.

Mediking

Would a female MC in P5 even be realistic? A teen girl staying with a random single guy seems a bit inappropriate, but I'm not a Japanese culture expert.

I'm still playing P5 so I don't know what I would want out of an expanded version, aside from a better localization and complete translations for the JP audio, and textures that don't look like they came from a PS2 game. But I can't imagine a FES version because it feels overloaded with content as it is. I'd rather them just put those resources into doing some new small IP a la Catherine, but I know I'm in the minority and people love their spinoffs.

A Jokeress could work. Toss the unrealistic factor in the dumpster because Persona 5 is mostly fantasy. Atlus would hafta step up and rework the writing in various situations and dialogue choices. It could be really cool. I haven't beat Persona 5 either yet by the way.

An expanded version of Persona 5 could include all the DLC and more outfits for free. Maybe a few new social links and romances.

But seriously... I prefer a mainline Persona game starting off with a female lead than a spinoff but it's fine. I'm really craving female leads in games right now. Lol

PK Gaming

It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. Plus, this is a game where you can cause like 8 different women (some who are adults) to fall in love with you and date them at the same time.

It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. Plus, this is a game where you can cause like 8 different women (some who are adults) to fall in love with you and date them at the same time.

Until they find out and beat your ass.

And then Sojiro cleans it up, apparently..?

Whatever. The point is that they had the chance to have reality ensue, but they acted like huge cowards.

A Jokeress could work. Toss the unrealistic factor in the dumpster because Persona 5 is mostly fantasy. Atlus would hafta step up and rework the writing in various situations and dialogue choices. It could be really cool. I haven't beat Persona 5 either yet by the way.

An expanded version of Persona 5 could include all the DLC and more outfits for free. Maybe a few new social links and romances.

But seriously... I prefer a mainline Persona game starting off with a female lead than a spinoff but it's fine. I'm really craving female leads in games right now. Lol

Well yeah, it's obviously filled with fantastic, supernatural elements, but the interpersonal relationships are mostly grounded. But please don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have a female MC available if it's well done. And it'd be great if P6 led with a female MC.

Atlus' last attempts at action combat were the Raidou games, which still felt like they maintained the need for party building/fusion and generally RPG heavy mechanics, but the actual real time combat elements were fairly basic.

It would be interesting to see what P Studio would do with a more action based combat system, considering that the last big non turn based game Hashino's team made was Catherine, I wonder if we'd end up with something a bit unconventional.
Definitely. But the combat in Raidou was much less focused on hitting weakness, especially as far as Raidou himself was concerned. While your demons hit weaknesses, controlling Raidou was more about timing and spacing attacks. It'd be interesting if Studio Zero focused more on a baton pass-like system, that made the focus chaining attacks with your allies rather than trying to increase your move count with hits to a weakness. Not sure how different that'd be in practice, but it'd fit the themes of bonds well.

Bladenic

How about
after Futaba joins, you move in with her and Sojiro in the house as a surrogate sister. I was kinda annoyed we never did get to go inside the house freely.

Anyway, I just did the 10/4 event in P3P. Lord this scene is a perfect example of the wildly uneven and sometimes truly awful voice acting. Fuuka is awful throughout but really shit here, and good lord is Ken awful in this scene.

Sophia

I hope Project Re:Fantasy has the Faustian style elements to it. I love that kind of stuff.

Also, the greatest obstacle to a female protagonist in Persona 5 is the animated cutscenes. There are way more than in Persona 3 or 4, and replacing them all is not easy or cheap. That's why I don't think we'll see that happen.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Also, the greatest obstacle to a female protagonist in Persona 5 is the animated cutscenes. There are way more than in Persona 3 or 4, and replacing them all is not easy or cheap. That's why I don't think we'll see that happen.

Not only are there more but each one is magnitudes longer than any in the previous games. Hell I feel like the cutscenes revolving around the palace 1 storyline put together are longer than all of the anime scenes in P3 combined.

Sophia

Not only are there more but each one is magnitudes longer than any in the previous games. Hell I feel like the cutscenes revolving around the palace 1 storyline put together are longer than all of the anime scenes in P3 combined.

Yeah. I really feel like if any Persona game was unlikely to get a female protagonist, it'd be Persona 5. The game is just structured in a way that the protagonist really has a full personality, despite the player picking the dialogue. The abundance of animated cutscenes only reinforces this.

I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility, but I do think people should have their expectations in check.

Yeah. I really feel like if any Persona game was unlikely to get a female protagonist, it'd be Persona 5. The game is just structured in a way that the protagonist really has a full personality, despite the player picking the dialogue. The abundance of animated cutscenes only reinforces this.

I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility, but I do think people should have their expectations in check.

Still more realistic than Hifumi ever being made a playable character.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I still feel like the most likely extra content a P5 rerelease would get is (end game spoilers)
an FES bonus chapter where you play as Akechi and you tail the phantom thieves through a few of the palaces while taking orders from Shido and committing assassinations. The game would start each mission in Akechi's apartment and you would get a call from shido, then a small cutscene would play, then you would start a dungeon. To compensate for the lack of a party Akechi would dominate shadows and force them to fight for him all SMT style. It would be called P5:Black.

It's not exactly what I want but I feel like it would make the most sense.

Restructuring a whole game or adding just one character and a scenario.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Adding an extra character and scenario would require a major restructuring of a very large portion of the game considering that there's no major gaps in the scenario, and would require rewriting pretty much every group scene after they join and remaking anime scenes to include them.

Plus there's zero reason for Hifumi to actually be added as a Phantom Thief, there's nothing about her confidant that would make her a better fit or more realistic addition above any other confidant.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Adding an extra character and scenario would require a major restructuring of a very large portion of the game considering that there's no major gaps in the scenario, and would require rewriting pretty much every group scene after they join and remaking anime scenes to include them.

Plus there's zero reason for Hifumi to actually be added as a Phantom Thief, there's nothing about her confidant that would make her a better fit or more realistic addition above any other confidant.

Ehhh the latter middle half of the game could do with a heavy restructuring to begin with.

Setsu00

I still feel like the most likely extra content a P5 rerelease would get is (end game spoilers)
an FES bonus chapter where you play as Akechi and you tail the phantom thieves through a few of the palaces while taking orders from Shido and committing assassinations. The game would start each mission in Akechi's apartment and you would get a call from shido, then a small cutscene would play, then you would start a dungeon. To compensate for the lack of a party Akechi would dominate shadows and force them to fight for him all SMT style. It would be called P5:Black.

I absolutely want that and I also think that this is most likely expansion they're going to add to P5.

I don't think that right. I remember reading that they wanted her specifically to be in the party but they didn't have the time or couldn't fit her in so she just became a Confidant.

link http://personacentral.com/persona-5-hifumi-togo-main-character-other-concepts/

The artbook makes it actually clear that Confidant!Hifumi and Party!Hifumi have next to nothing in common other than their designs.

The backpacking thing also explains why they originally chose Mephistopheles to be the protagonist's Persona. A Persona game based on Faust II would have been potentially fantastic, but the actual P5 was amazing, too.

I feel like the original choice of Mephisto explains much of Arsène's design too.

I've been considering trying out Persona 1 and both parts of 2 and figured purchasing them on the Vita would be the best way to go. Does Atlus still regularly have sales for these games? I'd hate to plop money down and then find out they're 50% off a week later.

Mediking

Well yeah, it's obviously filled with fantastic, supernatural elements, but the interpersonal relationships are mostly grounded. But please don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have a female MC available if it's well done. And it'd be great if P6 led with a female MC.

My dream Persona female MC is very similar to my dream Fire Emblem MC. A bloodthirsty (likes to fight and isn't afraid) yet incredibly adorable character with either short hair and sharp features or long hair. Like the animation for saving would be her drawing in her notebook. Whenever you opened her notebook, you'd see a cute drawing of how she views things or it's her reflecting because of your choices. One of her jobs could be her in a hair salon where she hears all this bizarre gossip and offers advice... or is given advice. Somebody would be like, "Hey! I've seen you walk with (insert person here) alot... what's the deal with that, hon?" Then she'd blush and you can choose and....

Lmao I could go on and on with the potential of a fully flourished female Persona lead.

I wish I could draw though... to show what I mean ;_;

Man! If I could draw, I'd be whipping up timeskip versions of Minato, Aigis, etc. Lol

Mediking

Too soon, my friend. Too soon.

Code:
[IMG]http://replygif.net/i/759.gif[/IMG]

Lol but seriously... I might have well do this commission project I've been thinking for a while now. I've seen various really talented artists who do commissions and I wanna do this project where I commission them to draw certain Persona characters in a timeskip in their own style with a few suggestions from me. It's something I've been thinking about... but everytime I wanna commit... a voice in my head says, "SO LAME!"

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've been considering trying out Persona 1 and both parts of 2 and figured purchasing them on the Vita would be the best way to go. Does Atlus still regularly have sales for these games? I'd hate to plop money down and then find out they're 50% off a week later.

I'm waiting for a summer sale to pick up the p2 games, judging from psprices they seem to go on sale around august or june

Lynx_7

I'm waiting for a summer sale to pick up the p2 games, judging from psprices they seem to go on sale around august or june

Why was I not aware of this site's existence. And now I found out I lost a fairly recent Raidou Kuzunoha 2 sale FFFFFFFFU-
I've been waiting for years. And apparently it doesn't go on sale frequently at all D:
Might just bite the bullet at full price if it doesn't go on sale again after I beat the first one.

I have finally caved into my blog's follower's pressure and have started drawing P5 related concepts, God help us all.

But seriously though, I've been having fun drawing stuff out.

And now, we wait for Persona-user!Hifumi...
*tents fingers ominously*

>Try as you might, you can't get Persona 5 out of your mind
> You should try drawing something
> ...
> It came out well!

So who's the Persona user. Sae?

I'm thinking... Mephistopheles?

Some guy named Kevin Patag drew these FFXV/P5 crossovers. Link Here

DA0RDQZXcAA6Fa3.jpg

>Try as you might, you can't get Persona 5 out of your mind
> You should try drawing something
> ...
> It came out well!

So who's the Persona user. Sae?
This is a guy's Persona, actually. The Persona's identity kinda stretches the boundaries of what's "literary" and whats "mythology" but researching literary tricksters is hard.

EDIT:

Actually, that reminds me, I thought it was odd that
Robin Hood
was considered a "literary trickster" but
Seiten Taisei
was considered a mythological one.

theecakee

That sounds cool, but in a way I'd be fine with no Persona 5 DLC if it meant they were working more on Persona 6. I know Persona 6 definitely will not be a decade long wait like Persona 5 was, but still I'd like to play it in like maybe under 5 years from now?

Top Bottom