• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrider

Banned
Well, just means your friend lacks critical thinking skills. Which could lead to a host of other problems unfortunately.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does he at least believe in magnets?

Tide goes in. Tide goes out. You can't explain why.
Miracles every day.

Creepy

I convinced my space nerd gf that I was flat earther for about a year, we'd have long debates where she would become legitimately distressed and angry.

I eventually told her I was just messing with her, she doesn't believe me.... thinks I'm just pretending to be a sphere-earther(?) just to placate her.

I didn't realize so many people didn't know that denial of gravity goes practically hand in hand with modern flat Earth nutjobbery. They cite buoyancy as the reason things rise or lower. It's some colorful wackadoodle nonsense, for sure.

Ask your local flerfer about Nikola Tesla today!

How do you not believe in gravity lol

What is his opposite explanation?

"Scientists don't even know what it is and you can't prove we landed on the moon!" is a response I've heard. Yes, we take a step forward and two back. The idiots are happy they can be more open about it now that they know they're not alone.

PixelatedBookake

That's how I felt when my friend came out as a Trump supporter to me a few months before the election. The silly part is that he is an illegal immigrant and isn't even allowed to vote but said he would vote for Trump if he could. I don't talk to the guy very much anymore...

pa22word

Y'all some judgemental dudes if something as silly as that is disown worthy.

So what the dude is a little strange and maybe more than a little dumb, there are much worse sins in the world than being a little bit of a dumbass. But hey, it's your life man you do you.

Darknight

I dont want to know the mental gymnastic to believe on "Flat earth" theory.

It must be like someone joining a cult. Like being so depressed in their life they have to cling and believe some fake stuff to get by.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Whats goin on with the world? Like, why is this a thing? Does he believe in sea monsters at the outskirts of the earth?

It's a couple of different movements swirling together into a perfect storm of ignorance. It's a push back against establishment thinking. Then you mix in trusting information from unverified sources on the internet. Then you add in a healthy dash of being able to go into echo chambers full of people that believe the same information. American schools haven't been very strong in the sciences for awhile too, so that definitely isn't helping.

Anti-vax, flat earth, fake news, etc. All the same problem. Someone that has actually studied in the field will be discredited because they're a shill for disinformation or "learned the wrong" information but whackos who type up random nonsense are taken seriously. These people have always existed, the internet has just led a lot more people down the rabbit hole.

EDIT: It probably also makes people feel a little better about themselves if science alluded them in school. Like "Oh, look at these sheep buying into what the books said. I really know how it works!"

If one of my best friends came up to me and told me he/she didn't BELIEVE in gravity and thought the earth was flat, we would no longer be friends anymore.

I'd also call their family and recommend having them committed to a mental hospital.

I really love the reverse narratives that people create to believe this shit. Like when someone mentioned how nobody stands to gain by lying about the Earth's shape, the person countered that 'its all about control and knowledge is power." The perversion of this is that if you believe knowledge is power then why on this flat Earth would you ever believe something that is thoroughly disproven by common sense.

Gravity... I can kinda understand how someone might just dismiss it because it really doesn't fit most of our cohesive scientific models of other forces, BUT anybody who doesn't believe in gravity for that reason would likely not believe anything else either so it's not a valid rebuke.

So what the dude is a little strange and maybe more than a little dumb, there are much worse sins in the world than being a little bit of a dumbass. But hey, it's your life man you do you.
Usually stuff like this is just the tip of the iceberg, once you start believing one conspiracy theory you just start going down that rabbit hole and never look back.

benjipwns

Banned
In this universe, there are only two objects: you and a huge planet-sized ball. There is no gravity in this hypothetical reality in the classic sense of objects being attracted to each other. There is only one rule: Every piece of matter in this universe is constantly expanding, doubling in size every second. You wouldn't notice the doubling, because both you and the huge ball would remain in the same proportion to each other. There would be no other reference points. And you wouldn't feel your own matter doubling any more than you feel the activity of the atoms in your body now.

In your current universe, you don't feel your skin cells dying, and you don't feel yourself being propelled at high velocity around the Sun or spinning with the Earth's rotation. So it shouldn't be hard to imagine how you could be doubling in size every second without being aware of it in the hypothetical universe. The only effect you would feel from this doubling in size is the illusion of gravity. The ball's growth would cause a constant pushing against you. If you tried to "jump" away from the growing ball, you would create some space temporarily, but the ball's growth would catch up with you and close The distance quickly To you, it would feel as though you were attracted to the huge ball and whenever you jumped "up," you would be sucked back down to it.

There would be no gravity, but it would look and feel exactly like gravity. Visually, it would seem that the huge ball had more "gravitational pull" than you do, because you seem to be attracted to it and not the other way around. This corresponds to our classic view of gravity‹that huge objects have more of it.

Imagine a marble and a bowling ball. Now imagine they both instantly double in size. The marble still looks pretty much like a marble, but the bowling ball appears huge. When a large object doubles in size, it seems to have a disproportionately significant impact compared to a smaller object. So if gravity is an optical illusion, large objects would appear to create more of the illusion than smaller objects. That's consistent with what we see.

Now let's move from the hypothetical universe to our current universe filled with planets and other matter. You'd have to add another rule in order for the expanding matter theory to replace gravity in the current universe. You'd have to have a universe where all the major planets are moving away from each other quickly, otherwise they'd grow until they all bumped together. In fact, the current universe does appear to be expanding, so that's no obstacle to the expanding matter theory. I can't think of anything in the "real" universe that would contradict the notion of gravity being an illusion caused by expanding matter.
-Scott Adams, Creator of Dilbert, 1997

I have one life to live. I'd rather surround myself with interesting and intelligent people that I can engage in worthwhile conversations with but to each their own.

fester

Banned
I get there's room for disagreements on stuff, but the shape of the Earth? Gravity?

Yeah, disagree with me about things like pizza toppings and cats vs dogs? Sure. But flat Earth and gravity "opinions" like this will pretty much guarantee I will not be spending time with you in the future. Stupidity to this extent is non-negotiable.

Renekton

If you think the earth is flat you're an idiot.

There's just no way around it.

Sometimes I know how Bill Nye feels.
Humans are so weird because people I know who are super successful and smart in so many things also have the strangest beliefs including flat earth, feng shui, Jewish conspiracy, various superstitious animisms etc.

Here I am thinking wow these guys are dumb for believing this but compared to them I'm just an underachiever posting in an internet forum.

Happened to me as well. Known this person a lot longer. I don't know why it hurts so much.
It's weird, right? Like my day was seriously ruined by this conversation. And I suspect the next few days I'll be thinking about it just as much.
It really fucking sucks.

Miracles are also a conspiracy.

^ This guy knows what's up.

Is it any dumber than half the country believing in a magic man in the clouds creating the universe in 7 days?

Eh... Religion is deeply ingrained in the culture of many people. Technically your not wrong, but it is not really the same thing. Many Christians in western society accept that not everything in their book should be taken literally.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That Dilbert one is really something. The Earth would be hitting you at almost 4,000 scale miles per second. Ouch.

NewGame

Banned
hollow earth theory is far more credible, although flat earth does have its own merits

try to keep an open mind

Both of those are horse pucky. The Earth is clearly a torus with the sky being the non-euclidean entrance into the astral dimension (space). The reason why the Earth looks like a sphere is simply because of how light bends in a macroscale through atmospheric nimbuses.

Stay woke, avoid sheeple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom