• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USPS can now email you pics of your snail mail before they deliver it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
They've been testing this for a while apparently, but just recently went nationwide with it.

The post office will now email you photos of your mail before it’s delivered

Informed Delivery is a service from the United States Postal Service that scans the outside of your mail and shows you the images each morning before the mail is actually delivered.

While the USPS first started testing the free service more than a year ago, it’s finally rolling out (almost) nationwide for residential addresses. Now it’s available in almost every major metropolitan area, and by April 14th will be available in most of the remaining ZIP Codes covering the U.S.

To make sure you aren’t getting anyone else’s mail, USPS sends you a physical letter with a verification code when you sign up.

While you still won’t be able to see the inside of your mail until it arrives, it should be helpful to know if an important letter is being delivered today or not.

Right now the service only provides black and white scans of regular letter-sized mail.
But in the future they may add other flat-sized pieces like magazines. Subscribers get an email digest each morning with images of the first 10 pieces of mail, and a link to view the rest if they received more than 10.
112916-wabc-usps-informed-delivery-example-image.jpg

informeddeliveryupdate_large-story.jpg

Sign up is here: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/b...annel=redirect&ns_source=learnmorelearnmore/#

This would be handy considering the mailboxes are detached from the unit where I live. Unfortunately it seems my address isn't eligible yet.

It looks like this doesn't work with packages, but the separate but related MyUSPS service seems to cover that?

Shambala

Had it since march. It's pretty handy. I get an email every morning showing what to expect later that day

FyreWulff

that's neat, and sort of makes sense as most email is OCR machine-sorted anywayso might as well grab a pic as it goes on by

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This would be handy considering the mailboxes are detached from the unit where I live. Unfortunately it seems my address isn't eligible yet.

It looks like this doesn't work with packages, but the separate but related MyUSPS service seems to cover that?
Yes, myusps will show you and email you when have a package on the way. No pic, but it will show you the name of the sender.

When the informed delivery service goes live in your area the myusps page will be expanded to include it. That's how I first heard of this.

doubles the junk mail
That's actually their plan lol. They want to eventually add related ads to the daily emails.

I just received my first email from the USPS with the mail that is coming today. Part of me just wants to leave it in the mailbox because it is all junk mail. If they can add some sort of way to reject mail using the service it would be perfect. I'd even pay for that.

I had this for a month and it has been a pretty useful service. I just wish they were more consistent with the times that they choose to send out emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom