• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Tecnniqe

Banned
Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

More like a $600 tablet at this point...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
someone don't know how to use this thing

Considering one of the target audiences(kids), this really shouldn't ever happen. If it's a major problem, that's a pretty bad oversight by Nintendo.

daveo42

Banned
the gap is big enough to not damage the screen, someone is doing it wrong.

If you have seen any of the hardware review coverage, you'll see that the screen sits flush with the plastic when docked. No fabric or felt outside of a small strip on the bottom, meaning the Switch screen rests on hard plastic. Scratching the screen seems inevitable if you plan on docking and undocking the Switch with any regularity.

Really seems like this thing is vetter suited as a handheld than a console more and more. Thankfully? Thats the only way i intend to use it

RootCause

I thought the dock had some padding on the inside. Good thing I have plenty of screen protectors.

Also, I recommend wiping the screen before docking it. That should remove any particle that might scratch it when sliding it in.

Piggus

I have some extra felt pads that I'm hoping will prevent something like this. My screen protector probably won't be getting here for a while.

Jeff-DSA

I think I might get a tempered glass protector. I like how those feel more than film on phones. Seems to make sense for the Switch too.

I missed the 3DS launch so I never knew about this. How did the screen scratch on those? Wouldn't the clamshell design prevent scratching?

The bottom screen's border was slightly raised above the screen itself, so if someone closed it with enough force or wasn't thinking about it, they'd find little vertical markings on the left and right sides of the upper screen when they opened it again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I missed the 3DS launch so I never knew about this. How did the screen scratch on those? Wouldn't the clamshell design prevent scratching?

The clamshell design actually caused it. The screen on top was wider than the bottom, and, when closed, touched the framing around the bottom screen. Bad design.

The Big N

Banned
How in the world did this get through the design phase? You would think that, at the least, the device wouldn't get damaged through normal use.
And how do we know that person didn't scratch their device with some other object? Just saying. The review unit I saw last night was used the past week and a half and it has nothing like that on it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You would think the inner area of the dock where it slides into would have a thin layer of padding. But it's just regular plastic.

Strange oversight.

Wow really? I just always assumed Nintendo had some sort of soft solution to prevent scratching in the dock, but they really don't?

Memory

Unless your ramming your switch in how could this happen? I've only had mine a day but the screen doesn't even touch the sides. I was going to use a screen protector because i was scared of this but but I've decided not too.

In any case I would get a thin sheet of microfibre cloth and lay it on the inside to protect the screen if you are worried. It was one of my ideas in case I had this issue.

RootCause

If you have seen any of the hardware review coverage, you'll see that the screen sits flush with the plastic when docked. No fabric or felt outside of a small strip on the bottom, meaning the Switch screen rests on hard plastic. Scratching the screen seems inevitable if you plan on docking and undocking the Switch with any regularity.
Hmm. is it possible to place a cleaning cloth? That way, the screen rests on it?

Izayoi

Banned
Is there a tempered glass protector you can get for this thing?

I like the felt idea, but c'mon Nintendo, this is fucking stupid.

Why not put little rolly guide wheels in there something? Geeze.

LewieP

the gap is big enough to not damage the screen, someone is doing it wrong.

But how is damaging it by using it as advertised even possible? Why not avoid this by not having plastic that will scratch it's device place right up against it?

I'm never going to remove them really. Pro controller for tv and then I just plan to pop it out for handheld play with the joycons always staying attached.

Grief.exe

Those scratches look like the Switch was put into a Jean pocket with a metal button or with keys. I'm sceptical for two reasons.

1. There is a noticeable gap between the screen and dock.
  2. Plastic isn't hard enough to create deep gouges in glass like this on it's own. It could create scuffs, but not deep vertical gouges.

The bottom screen's border was slightly raised above the screen itself, so if someone closed it with enough force or wasn't thinking about it, they'd find little vertical markings on the left and right sides of the upper screen when they opened it again.

The clamshell design actually caused it. The screen on top was wider than the bottom, and, when closed, touched the framing around the bottom screen. Bad design.

That's nuts. I'm surprised that they do not find these problems during testing

trixx

Wouldn't the back get scratched as well? The dock is really trash, paid $10 for cheap screen protector for no reason. Getting tempered glass asap

Mega

Banned
For everything the Switch gets right, it does seem rather half baked.

Why is it a hard surface touching the screen? Why not have some kind of soft material? Why is the screen even being covered in the first place?

This always baffled me. They removed the ability to update us when they're having special promotions like with the Wii U Gamepad.

Shiggy

Those scratches look like the Switch was put into a Jean pocket with a metal button or with keys. I'm sceptical for two reasons.

2. Plastic isn't hard enough to scratch glass like this on it's own, and it wouldn't leave deep vertical scratches like this.

It's a glass screen, not plastic?

i was actually surprised at the mechanism. i just put a screen protector on mine.. usually when i do this there's a shitload of bubbles, but i did pretty good this time!

I just assumed there would be some type of rubber in there to prevent this, but I guess I shouldn't assume that people designing a console would think about this simple factor. Still haven't picked up my system, guess I gotta buy a screen protector when I walk into GameStop tonight.

DooMAGE

2. Plastic isn't hard enough to scratch glass like this on it's own, and it wouldn't leave deep vertical scratches like this.

Thanks for bringing some reason to this thread.

Top Bottom