• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Steiner

Banned
I bought a screen protector, but still... WTF are these people doing? No one's Switch should look like that unless you're slamming that thing into the dock or dropping it or something.

Place your Switch into the dock slowly, like an adult who respects their electronics, and this shouldn't happen. With over a week of use, switching from TV mode to handheld mode every day, I had zero scratches on the screen or bezel.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm starting to think I should drop out. My Switch is due to be delivered by next weekend but hearing things like screen scratching, loose JoyCons and stand as well a JoyCon syncing issues.

I feel like I maybe better off waiting it out.

Mohonky

Could you prove this?

If you lean the system back, the screen doesnt make contact from the front of the dock at all.

Personally Im just going to make a foam insert anyway, but you can get the system in without the front of the screen ever scraping up against the dock at all.

Grief.exe

Any other reports of this?

Legit might cancel my order if this is a problem. I hate using screen protectors.

Tempered glass protectors look and feel the exact same as your screen.

Getting a screen protector is probably a requirement for the Switch since the screen is fully exposed and it's not a plastic, resistive screen like the DS/3DS anymore.

majik13

dont have my Switch yet, but wouldn't the scratches be more uniform all in one direction? The pic in the op the scratches look a bit random, not form something with more linear wear and tear. But still haven't used a Switch or dock yet.

I've been looking around, but haven't found an answer ... has anyone with a Switch tested the output with a USB-C hub?

The ones that are marketed for the new Macbook Pros and Chromebooks? One USB-C port with HDMI output, power delivery via USB-C, and an extra USB-A port or two?

I plan on taking my Switch on the road a lot and would much rather not lug around the dock ... now with this (possible) issue wondering if I could just use a USB-C hub at home too.

This assumes Nintendo didn't put any proprietary "dock" sensors in their own dock hub.

Those scratches look like the Switch was put into a Jean pocket with a metal button or with keys. I'm sceptical for two reasons.

1. There is a noticeable gap between the screen and dock.
  2. Plastic isn't hard enough to create deep gouges in glass like this on it's own. It could create scuffs, but not deep vertical gouges.

Agreed. As long as your dock is devoid of materials that are harder than glass, it's not going to do this.

I've been looking around, but haven't found an answer ... has anyone with a Switch tested the output with a USB-C hub?

The ones that are marketed for the new Macbook Pros and Chromebooks? One USB-C port with HDMI output, power delivery via USB-C, and an extra USB-A port or two?

I plan on taking my Switch on the road a lot and would much rather not lug around the dock ... now with this (possible) issue wondering if I could just use a USB-C hub at home too.

This assumes Nintendo didn't put any proprietary "dock" sensors in their own dock hub.

I'm sure someone will answer this before my Switch arrives, but that's the first thing I plan on testing when it does. Have an Apple USB-C multiport AV dongle that should work, presumably.

koss424

That's not really a good excuse if this is just from normal operation of sliding it into and out of the dock.

but it probably ins't. As per above there seems to be a piece of rubber on the dock in the area that the Switch is getting scratched. This is going to be like that thread three days ago where Giantbomb tried to warn the world that the Joycons were defective and break very easily. And then told us about dropping his Switch on the concrete.

jrDev

That's not really a good excuse if this is just from normal operation of sliding it into and out of the dock.
Not saying it is, just saying it's safer to have screen protectors for whatever unforeseen thing tries to 'break' the system, protect your investment...

Bought a 2-pack of tempered glass protectors off Amazon. Until they arrive, my Switch won't be leaving the dock. Not risking any scratches. You'd think Nintendo would've put some padding in the dock...

DMONKUMA

Did they put it in the dock backwards by accident? Were they really rough with it as well?

Either way I already have tempered glass ordered.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm starting to think I should drop out. My Switch is due to be delivered by next weekend but hearing things like screen scratching, loose JoyCons and stand as well a JoyCon syncing issues.

I feel like I maybe better off waiting it out.

loose joycons? who had that? if its GB, they dropped theirs on concrete

Tempered glass protectors look and feel the exact same as your screen.

Getting a screen protector is probably a requirement for the Switch since the screen is fully exposed and it's not a plastic, resistive screen like the DS/3DS anymore.

hmm i hate screen protectors but you may have sold me on one

any preferred brand?

Persona7

Banned
Going a week without a screen protector. One scratch from the dock and it's going back to amazon. I am going to remove it numerous times as well. Not fucking around with this.

heringer

Honestly, even if there's no issue you should get a screen protector anyway. I mean, why would anyone have a device like that without a screen protector? It's so dirty cheap.

Rule of thumb is to buy screen protector for any portable products with screen.

Only the bezel area makes direct contact with the dock, if you don't look at the bezel to play game then you probably don't need to care about this "issue".

Shiggy

One thing which is worth noting is that the panel itself is plastic rather than super-tough glass like you'd find on an iPhone or iPad. As such, it's very easy to scratch – our review unit picked up a mark within 24 hours despite being handled with utmost care – so you'll almost certainly want to purchase some kind of carry case if you're looking to take it out of the house, and perhaps even a screen protector.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_switch_nintendos_most_important_console_yet

So it seems to be a plastic screen which explains why it can be scratched easily.

Rule of thumb is to buy screen protector for any portable products with screen.

Most phones and tablets at this price have Gorilla Glass I think, which isn't scratched as easily.

maouvin

Maybe only the bundled dock scratches the front, while the $90 standalone doesn't.
/s

Not buying the rubbers scratching glass. Even if there was dirt on the rubber (a lot of dirt, yeah), how could you get to such condition in a week.

edit: wait, the screen is plastic? Huh.

Plastic.

Couldn't believe it when I opened my Switch this morning.

This isn't true for portable products with glass screens, like just about every smartphone and tablet.

I literally got scratches on my old iphone by putting it on the bed face side down.

kaioshade

I think i may stop by michaels and pick up some felt sheets for the inside of the dock. should help alleviate any kind of scratching that could happen. But so far i dont think it would be an issue, unless youre forcing your switch in the dock.

Mohonky

Maybe only the bundled dock scratches the front, while the $90 standalone doesn't.
/s

Not buying the rubbers scratching glass. Even if there was dirt on the rubber (a lot of dirt, yeah), how could you get to such condition in a week.

Yeh its got some pretty deep scours in it. I dont understand how it gets scratches that deep and in such a short amount of time.

K' Dash

I don't want to ruin the IQ of my screen with a protector, I never use them and just take good care of my electronics.

MaDKaT

I think i may stop by michaels and pick up some felt sheets for the inside of the dock. should help alleviate any kind of scratching that could happen. But so far i dont think it would be an issue, unless youre forcing your switch in the dock.

Likely exacerbate the issue. Felt will just collect dust turning it into sandpaper. Get a glass protector.

molnizzle

I literally got scratches on my old iphone by putting it on the bed.

Your phone didn't have a glass screen then.

Or you scratched your phone on diamond, steel, or one of the other handful of household elements that are harder than glass.

This is science people.

Clockwork

I was thinking of just picking up some felt tape to place inside the dock.

Edit: Nvm, caught some of the posts above mine. Bleh.

Top Bottom