• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPG's where you LOVE the designs of your party EXCEPT for the main character.

The upcoming Dragon Quest XI comes to mind.

This is your party:
210px-DQXI_Camus_art.png
220px-DQXI_Veronica.png
220px-DQXI_Senya.png
230px-DQXI_Sylvia.png
200px-DQXI_Martina.jpg
300px-DQXI_Row.jpg

And this shithead is you:
220px-DQXI_Hero_art.png

I would've atleast hoped for her being a female main character option:
300px-DQXI_Emma_screenshot.png

What games do you have in your mind?

Haunted

The upcoming Dragon Quest XI comes to mind.

This is your party:
210px-DQXI_Camus_art.png
220px-DQXI_Veronica.png
220px-DQXI_Senya.png
230px-DQXI_Sylvia.png
200px-DQXI_Martina.jpg
300px-DQXI_Row.jpg

And this shithead is you:
220px-DQXI_Hero_art.png

I would've atleast hoped for her being a female main character option:
300px-DQXI_Emma_screenshot.png

What games do you have in your mind?
Puzzled that you love all these other designs. Toriyama simply doesn't show enough variety when he does characters, everything he does for DQ seems like a rehash at this point.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
latest

I like The World Ends With You's art-style quite a bit, but I never cared much for Neku's design. His really weird hoodie in particular. Funnily enough, I like the supporting cast as characters quite a bit more than Neku too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Vaan: the thread I guess?

I'd definitely go with Laslo from Suikoden IV. He just looks like a dipshit.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not crazy about the cat people either, but most of the other characters are alright.

120v

FFXII... the thread (though Vaan is arguably not the "main character")

also thought Zidane ranks pretty low on the protag tier, but since FFIX is sort of a homage to the series i cut it slack since they were probably going for an "everyman" hero instead of a compelling, brooding character with a dark past or whatever

Lelou

I can't say all jrpg right?

But i want.
Because i still didn't play a single jrpg where i can even fairly like the main character.

Probably the only one i could accept, it was ramza.

Ferr986

I was thinking Nier:A but to be fair no one looks good, just 2B stand as the worst of the bunch.

Vaan looks bad too bud didn't play XII so... I'm honestly having a hard time thinking on a JRPG I played where I liked everyone but the MC lol

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Cheating a little here, but I'd have to nominate the main character in persona 4. His design isn't so bad, but the fact that his hand is constantly glued in his pocket just irritates me whenever I see him. I can only imagine the people working on the game thought that that made him cool, but it doesn't.

I didn't get very far in the game due to my vita's right stick breaking, but the other party members I had encountered up until that point seemed fine. But why is his hand in his fucking pocket all the time?

I agree with Titus. Playing a big yellow canary is not what I want in a game. Especially when you have bad ass Auron right there.

Realyn

Well FF XII is kinda obvious if you know just a thing or two about the development history.

Don't mind Tidus. He's supposed to be a goof.

Vaan: the thread I guess?

I'd definitely go with Laslo from Suikoden IV. He just looks like a dipshit.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not crazy about the cat people either, but most of the other characters are alright.

Good call. Suikoden IV has a lot of really nicely designed side characters too, making the blandness of the main 4 even harder to understand...

Lynx_7

Tidus can't be the ugliest in a game that has Wakka.

DQ XI's protagonist reminds me more of Android 17 than Trunks tbh. He's no DQ V hero but he's better than some others in the franchise.

As for my answer, it would be Vaan if Penello didn't also suck. Does Pokemon count? If so, Nate (gen 5-2) and Sun (gen 7) are freaking terrible, while your party can be as cool looking as you want.

Sillverrr

FFX and FFXII. Tidus and Vaan, on the surface at least, look like irritating tweens. Their atrocious costumes are basically the low point of sartorial elegance, and likely a result of costuming up in a clown's dressing room, whilst blindfolded/high on meth. From memory, they aren't actually that annoying, but give me Auron, Balthier and Basch any day of the week.

Top Bottom