• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPG's where you LOVE the designs of your party EXCEPT for the main character.

FFXII the thread.

XmbYkAhl.jpg
C5szb0Ml.jpg

aett

I'm playing this now its really odd how the artist did such a bad job with her costume.
Super weird.
They are supposedly clothes she finds in a prison but they are just rags and belts lol
. Why did she even put half of it on?

I just started this the other day. The description for those clothes says she chose the pieces "for mobility." Fuck off with that excuse, game.

Fbh

Final Fantasy is a master of this.

FFIV: Don't mind the design as much now but as a kid I was fucking dissapointed when after hours of playing with this badass looking dark Knight he turns into some girly warrior princess looking guy.

IX: Some awesome designs in the game. Vivi in particular might be my favorite design in the franchise. But Zidane just looks bad and in some scenes doesn't even fit in with the rest of the cast (in terms of design)

X: ...Tidus. I think this was really the moment I started to dislike Nomura work.

XII: At this point there had to be an internal competition to "outbad" every other main character in the franchise....and they won.
It's made even worse by the fact that you start the game playing as a generic but a bit more decent looking character.

The upcoming XC2 comes to mind.

img_02_thumb-1.jpg

Yep.

I mean, as far as I know we haven't seen the rest of the party but they can't possibly be worse, right?

Tales of Berseria

Tales-of-Berseria_01-03-15_003.jpg

Lol wtf is this monstrosity?

It's a shame really because I've heard that in many ways it's the best Tales of game in years.

But that character design really kills my excitement for the game Everytime I think about buying it.

Goldboy

It's a shame really because I've heard that in many ways it's the best Tales of game in years.

But that character design really kills my excitement for the game Everytime I think about buying it.

If it's any consolation, you can change her outfit to "Villager Clothes" pretty early in the game, which look pretty bland but aren't nearly as bad as her default outfit.

jrcbandit

Go ahead and get the game, it is still the best Tales game in years and you can easily select Velvet's Village outfit to play throughout the game without paying any extra money. Or succumb to DLC and get her Idol/pirate outfit, lol.

Edit: Two great minds think alike.

Aleh

I think the only problem with FF9 characters is that standard artwork, they look very stiff in those poses and they don't show off the design very well. But then when you see them in the CGI videos, in motion, then they really shine and look great imo (well to be fair Eiko's dress is kinda weird but she still looks cute as a whole).
Tidus just looks like a buffoon... there's no saving grace for him

Fou-Lu

I actually like Vaan and the DQXI protagonist... Not a fan of the Xenoblade 2 guy yet, but I have faith in Monolith Soft to make an awesome MC (they have never dropped the ball in that department before) so I won't throw him under the bus yet.

Gotta go with FFXII.

Tidus also sucks but Waka and Lulu are just as bad while Penelo is actually decent in comparison.

I'm confused by the OP's example. All of those look bad.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Persona 3, the female protag is cool but the male one us such an emo tool.

This.

Dont play many JRPGS but P3 was such a mid 2000's emo child that looked horrendous( that haircut) espcially when compared to the cast

P4's was boring but atleast it meant you could just use him as an avatar for yourself.

Also i didnt like noctis design in FFXV...then again i wasnt a huge fan of the team as a whole

Slater

Banned
the revived zombie grandpa mostly decomposed face isn't remotely canon or actually the protagonist of nier

this is basically just the thread for westerners to irrationally complain about jrpg protagonists

Father Nier is canon brah, so is Brothe Nier, play Automata

Spman2099

You are missing an interesting battle engine (if you play the game on hard). Otherwise, you really aren't missing much... Unless, that is, you find heroes that pretend to be super dark and edgy, but ultimately always act in the stock heroic fashion, to be super compelling. The story is like a really bad comic from the 90's when the anti-hero phase hit its feverish peak.

MartyStu

Yup.

I LOVE FFXII, but the entire main cast is suspect.

At least Vaan's clothing makes sense. Fran, Ashe and Penelo are bizarre designs in one one or another.

Basch and Balthier are okay-ish.

The weird thing? Most of the NPCs and the supporting cast all look great.

Id say Shining Force games. Main character is genetic blonde knight guy while the cast was alot more unique.
All three scenarios of Shining Force III avoid this. The heroes are still young, but more serious and themed much less generically. Medion is the closest in design but still comes across less as a knight and more an imperial representative, and Julian looks more like a disheveled mercenary. Synbios looks ready for an endurance battle in Scenario 1, too. Compared to other designs in these games, they're only mid-tier, but certainly have more thought put into them vs. good 'ol Max and Bowie.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Yes. Yu Narukami is generic male character number 312. Persona 2, 3 and 5's main characters do stand out instead of looking like a random NPC.

So that's his cannon name? If I ever get around to finishing Persona 4 and starting a second playthrough, I'm going to name him Testy McScratchin or Holden Mawallet.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yuuuuup DQXI immediately popped into my head. What the fuck were they thinking with that... I would literally take any of his companions over him. Just... why

Vaan is #1 though. Ashe, Balthier, Basch, and Fran all look cool/interesting. We have to primarily play as Vaan's wack ass though. Supreme levels of fuckery.

Surprised no one has posted this yet. I expect the FF XV defense force to be in full effect eventually. Anyway, I really disliked his design. Didn't even matter what outfit you put him in. I think his hair is the worst offender when it comes to overall design. Older Noctis is pretty much unrecognizable to his younger self in terms of facial features.

Final-Fantasy-15-Noctis-Kleidung-buffed.jpg

Spoilers just in case I guess
tumblr_om61qxJE781rbgswto2_r5_1280.png

Strings

Zippers and belts on a hat...

I don't really know how to explain it :p It's just adorable and sorta gives grumpy Donald a quasi-military look, which is hilarious/fitting.

It was a shocking moment when Noctis's skin split down the back of his Asian pupal form and his new slimy Caucasian body slowly pulled itself out of the skin suit, though.

That may have been a dream.

Dawg, that sounds more like a nightmare.

.JayZii

Banned
Surprised no one has posted this yet. I expect the FF XV defense force to be in full effect eventually. Anyway, I really disliked his design. Didn't even matter what outfit you put him in. I think his hair is the worst offender when it comes to overall design. Older Noctis is pretty much unrecognizable to his younger self in terms of facial features.

Final-Fantasy-15-Noctis-Kleidung-buffed.jpg

Spoilers just in case I guess
tumblr_om61qxJE781rbgswto2_r5_1280.png
It was a shocking moment when Noctis's skin split down the back of his Asian pupal form and his new slimy Caucasian body slowly pulled itself out of the sloughed off skin suit, though.

That may have been a dream.

UraMallas

He's shit. People are so easily impressed just because he kills people. Estelle is also an awful character though so he doesn't belong in this thread

Wait. Is this thread about actions and personality or about character design. You seem to be confusing the two. Unless you believe that 'he kills people' is somehow a flaw of his artistic character design?

Nanashrew

Banned
Tales of Berseria

Tales-of-Berseria_01-03-15_003.jpg

Lol wtf is this monstrosity?

She's the worst of the group, but the rest of the group don't look any better. I get the ragtag team thing, but boy is there no subtlety to the designs compared to previous Tales games. They all look pretty dumb and out of place.

EDIT: With the exception of Rebirth up there and Agarte. Like what is with that getup?

Mephala

I liked most of characters in Legend of Mana except the main male character so I always went with the superior female avatar with the pipes in her hair.
lom-heroes.jpg

Although, it doesn't look as bad as I remember it being.

Goldboy

Persona 3. Everyone looks fairly good and then there's the massive tool that is male MC. Female MC isn't offensively bad, but still rather plain.

Seconding this. Persona 3's male protagonist looks terrible. I don't like Yu either but he's definitely a big step up.

smh all this P3 protag hate. Seeing that scruffy little emo sack of shit find happiness and develop an unconditional love for the world and all the people in it was sublime.

The design is perfect.

Top Bottom