• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: The Struggles of Writing About Chinese Food as a Chinese Person, Clarissa Wei

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrant

Is there a reason why people think that Chinese food is all about intestines?

Lived in China for over 4 years and still dont like it because there are literally 1000 other dishes....

It's the shock factor talking, and also a belief that real Chinese food is more "exotic" and not widely prepared in North America (sorry folks, kung pao chicken and sweet and sour pork are indeed "authentic" Chinese).

aznpxdd

Lived in China for over 4 years and still dont like it because there are literally 1000 other dishes....

There is "Xian"-food, heavily inspired by the muslim community living there.
Sichuan has their own food.
Beijing has a lot of unique dishes.
Dongbei has dishes that reminds people of eastern Germany/Russian food.
Guandong has its own stuff.
Tibet too.

Edit: Also effin Jianbing!!! So good!

Even within each Provinces, the cuisine could be massively different. (see Chaozhou's famous beef hotpot in Guangdong province). I'm gonna say most people in the West are oblivious what's available in China, or Asia really.

I feel like I've barely touched the surface of Chinese cuisine and I've lived in Asia for 16+ years.

Even within each Provinces, the cuisine could be massively different. (see Chaozhou's famous beef hotpot in Guangdong province). I'm gonna say most people in the West are oblivious what's available in China, or Asia really.

I feel like I've barely touched the surface of Chinese cuisine and I've lived in Asia for 16+ years.

Thats the thing. Also right now a lot of restaurants, at least in Beijing, are trying out "Fusion food", not like America where they fuse mexian and korean food, but they try to fuse foods from different provinces.

Its great.

I mean, its cool if you want to eat poop tubes, thats your perogative. Enjoy, but it isnt for me.

mate.

products-sausages.jpg

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
To denigrade the culture as uncivilized and poor, feeding off scraps too good for them. *Orders $25 appetizer of goose liver*
Eh, we do this to ourselves too. Lobster used to be a trash eating water bug struggle lunch. Meant for the blue collar crowd. Then some rich people had some and said "let's flip this for a profit, post haste". It's not only delicious but popularly used as a symbol of wealth today. And that's the story of how white people invented lobster.

nampad

The majority of store bought sausages are synthetic.

Majority isn't all though.
At least here in Germany, natural casing is quite common, according to a quick wikipedia research over 50% of sausage specalties in Germany use natural casing. Might be different in the US.

Clawww

I was spoiled with a great Chinese restaurant growing up as a kid. It was a big deal for us to get dressed up, and sit down for a nice dinner at their restaurant with white table cloth and nice tableware. The presentations were beautiful.

I live in a different city now and it's just littered with cubby style Chinese takeout places with boilerplate paper menus or pictures of dishes above the counter. I long for those meals with my family as a child, and we became good friends with the owners who have since then sold their restaurant and moved back to the west coast.

Same here. My favorite restaraunt growing up was an upscale Chinese place (in Switzerland). I used to pick it out for my birthdays. It's kind of sad how the overwhelming expectation for Asian food is that it be cheap grub, but at the same time, a lot of joints cater to their own immigrant communities who need it to be affordable. That's a big factor in the appropriation discussion: white/American chefs and purveyors are naturally going to have the upper hand over immigrants in terms of the finances and networking needed to establish and promote buzz-worthy restaurants, brands, cookbooks, whatever.

Thats the thing. Also right now a lot of restaurants, at least in Beijing, are trying out "Fusion food", not like America where they fuse mexian and korean food, but they try to fuse foods from different provinces.

Its great.

Chinese cuisine has been built on fusion from different provinces for a long time now..Dishes like Peking duck, was actually brought over from Southern China and vice versa.

So that begs the question...why are there no "real" Filipino restaurants in America? Isn't that typically the first type of business that immigrants open?

I'm lucky enough to live right next to Daly City.

Filipino food is great, but I definitely don't usually see a lot of non Filipino people eating in the restaurants. At least not in the same way you'll see a lot of white people in fancier Chinese places here.

Haha, was gonna say Daly City right out the gate. Also, West Covina and the LA area, Las Vegas, etc. but you're not going to find many places outside of the coasts.

Majority isn't all though.
At least here in Germany, natural casing is quite common, according to a quick wikipedia research over 50% of sausage specalties in Germany use natural casing. Might be different in the US.

If you get it from a butcher it will most likely be natural, but the amount produced for store bought brands its impractical.

Do any Fillipino restaurants serve good Mole? Talking about that thick, dark brown stewy stuff with meat in it. My friend's mom makes it once in awhile and it's incredible but I can't get it anywhere. I've heard it's annoying to make so I'm not hopeful.

Chojin

Do any Fillipino restaurants serve good Mole? Talking about that thick, dark brown stewy stuff with meat in it. My friend's mom makes it once in awhile and it's incredible but I can't get it anywhere. I've heard it's annoying to make so I'm not hopeful.

Do we eat mole? I mean we have mexican influence but i've never heard of Filipino Mole.

Lost of stuff that comes from Mexico may have the same bame but its a whole different food. See our version of Adobo or Menudo.

Fake edit: Just googled. Looks like its really what we call kare-kare. But thats a peanut sauce you eat with bagoonong (shrimp or fish paste)

Kare-kare is pretty common enough to find in a filipino restaurant.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm lucky enough to live right next to Daly City.

Filipino food is great, but I definitely don't usually see a lot of non Filipino people eating in the restaurants. At least not in the same way you'll see a lot of white people in fancier Chinese places here.

I used to work in Brisbane, do DC was lunch spot. So we ate a lot of Filipino food. I miss loads of things. Not balut, obviously, but I did try it on a dare.

Armaros

I don't mind white people or really people of any race promoting Chinese or any ethnic food. I love watching Bourdain and street food youtube channels.

But if you think about it, it's kind of strange. Chinese-Americans are uniquely positioned to introduce Westerners to good Chinese food. They're American, and they know which dishes are good and would be popular in the west. But they just aren't taken seriously the same way whites are. And it must be frustrating. I remember telling my friends to try the chicken feet at a dim sum place, but they just said ew and ignored me. It wasn't until they saw it on a youtube channel that they wanted to try it.

It's that stigma of 'eww you just like it because you were raised on it, no thanks'

'wait, a white person on TV/internet said that it's actually good? I want to try it'

And dimsum is in general very tame compared to other cuisine . The most exotic dishes served are generally the tripe and chicken feet dishes.

Formless

I understand the author but I probably wouldn't have found a lot of other culture's food without white people/Americans spreading it around, fad/craze and all. The richer can afford to treat food as an art and write about it.

It is annoying when X food is used as a reductive placeholder for a whole culture. It seems to be getting better over time.

Wereroku

There is "Xian"-food, heavily inspired by the muslim community living there.
Sichuan has their own food.
Beijing has a lot of unique dishes.
Dongbei has dishes that reminds people of eastern Germany/Russian food.
Guandong has its own stuff.
Tibet too.

Edit: Also effin Jianbing!!! So good!

I don't know but it's not even that weird to me. Maybe it's because I am southern and have seen family members eat collards and chitlins for years. Maybe I was lucky as well my town had at least 2 chinese places since I was a kid. One was the US variety while the other was run by a thai family and god was that the best place. They had a dish that they called Hunan Chicken but that was just because they would give everything a more familiar name and I never got around to asking what the dish was really called.

Do we eat mole? I mean we have mexican influence but i've never heard of Filipino Mole.

Lost of stuff that comes from Mexico may have the same bame but its a whole different food. See our version of Adobo or Menudo.

Fake edit: Just googled. Looks like its really what we call kare-kare. But thats a peanut sauce you eat with bagoonong (shrimp or fish paste)

Kare-kare is pretty common enough to find in a filipino restaurant.

That actually makes sense since her husband is Mexican. Guess I incorrectly assumed it was a Fillipino thing. It wasn't with shrimp or peanuts so it must have been more Mexican style, maybe with some alterations.

Charcoal

Not gonna lie, as a mid-western white guy, the thought of eating boiled pig intestines is kind of off putting. I'm hoping my upcoming move to Chicago will make me branch out and try new things, because I always love new experiences.

Madness

It is telling how Europe gets to define themselves with distinct regions, identities and cultures but everything else gets lumped as Indian food, Chinese food etc. As if there aren't regions, cultures and cuisines distinct either. People don't even realize how different Cantonese cuisine is from Sichuan or Fujian at times. Just like people don't realize their 'Indian' food is actuall Punjabi, Rajasthani, Bengali, South indian, North indian.

The Wart

Yeah, I sort of feel like this too. At the same time, I have to admit sometimes I dislike it when a white chef "discovers" a local spot and suddenly it's filled with people who are eating there because it's trendy to do so, not because they enjoy the cuisine.

But, why the presumption that they are not genuinely enjoying the cuisine? I'm sure it can be frustrating and generate friction but overall it seems hard to see how it would be a bad thing. If people really are there just because it's trendy then the crowds will die down soon enough and the owners will have gotten a nice cash infusion. If it turns out, hey, those people really do like that food, then the market for it has just expanded and there'll be more of it available.

kirblar

It is telling how Europe gets to define themselves with distinct regions, identities and cultures but everything else gets lumped as Indian food, Chinese food etc. As if there aren't regions, cultures and cuisines distinct either. People don't even realize how different Cantonese cuisine is from Sichuan or Fujian at times. Just like people don't realize their 'Indian' food is actuall Punjabi, Rajasthani, Bengali, South indian, North indian.
How many South Koreans understand the difference between southern and midwest US food?

Is Houston a particularly good area for Chinese food? Definitely don't think of Chinese as "cheap, easy." But maybe that's just me!

I do know we have a rich Vietnamese population and fantastic Vietnamese food.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I wonder whats a satisfactory percentage of white sounding name recipe writers on New York Times website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom