• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: The Struggles of Writing About Chinese Food as a Chinese Person, Clarissa Wei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
Next time I'm in NYC, Is there an affordable authentic Chinese restaurant anyone suggests I try?

A few weeks ago I found a great thai place on 51st - Sukhumvit 51

.JayZii

Banned
When I watched a chef on Top Chef rolling out Tom Kha Gai, a sour and spicy Chicken soup, a common as dirt Thai soup, to the judges' roaring review, I was like... WUT?
Are you sure it wasn't Tom Kha Gai "reimagined" or "deconstructed"? This is an important factor.

ColdPizza

Banned
That's kind of the implication when you get awarded for something. Doing it first or best. I can understand someone from a culture whose food is being represented and popularized by someone else (usually a white guy), and thereby getting a kind of credit or ownership over it, being annoyed. Muppet of a Man said it better than me:

I get why people may be annoyed with it but I don't think they necessarily should be, especiallly if this acceptance ultimately has the potential to benefit players already in the scene.

That's why I said the foods I mentioned don't represent the entirety of Filipino food, but that's what I think of, and they have a "struggle food" feel to them. I'm not sure what's disingenuous or pigeonholing about that.
You should first stop ghettoizing Filipino food by calling it "struggle food"

akira28

Hold up

Chinese people eat chitlins?!

man, you don't even know. Ordering at the real restaurant is like a delicious minefield, they got some good stuff and some stuff you don't want to know whats in it. no way in hell I'm eating intestines though, in any language.

.JayZii

Banned
I get why people may be annoyed with it but I don't think they necessarily should be, especiallly if this acceptance ultimately has the potential to benefit players already in the scene.
While that's true from a detached, overhead view, people like the author of this article are free to have complicated feelings on the matter and to discuss them.

.JayZii

Banned
You should first stop ghettoizing Filipino food by calling it "struggle food"
The original post I replied to was discussing filipino food in relation to "struggle food" threads on gaf. That's why I used the term in quotes, and I also explained the specific Filipino foods that come to mind that evoke that term to me and noted that those don't represent all of Filipino food.

Thanks for keeping my privilege in check, though.

man, you don't even know. Ordering at the real restaurant is like a delicious minefield, they got some good stuff and some stuff you don't want to know whats in it. no way in hell I'm eating intestines though, in any language.

That's a shame. Deep fried pork intestine is amazing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Next time I'm in NYC, Is there an affordable authentic Chinese restaurant anyone suggests I try?

A few weeks ago I found a great thai place on 51st - Sukhumvit 51

Gentrified but pretty good considering their average clientele: http://www.cafechinanyc.com/

If you can make it out to Flushing: https://www.yelp.com/biz/nan-xiang-xiao-long-bao-flushing

One of the Xi'an chains, I prefer their Flushing location but it's far: https://www.yelp.com/biz/xian-famous-foods-new-york-3

Well that's the thing, it doesn't necessarily. A key point in the article is that white America wants to learn about Chinese food from white writers instead of Chinese writers. You may say, "well the Chinese restaurants are still benefiting from it in the end", but still, it hurts to see your most intimate memories bandied about like a prize horse without being able to comment on it credibly. In a way, the author is still being bullied and ostracized, except instead of on the playground or in the classrooom, it's in the industry of food writing. Ultimately, this just keeps Chinese food as something remote, to be gazed at through the safety of a familiar perspective, rather than recognizing Chinese food as part of a culture on its own merits. I could go farther to say it contributes to the Othering and erasure of Chinese people in America itself, but that's a bit out of scope of this thread.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm Chinese and even I think stink tofu is disgusting. Sichuan cuisine is overrated by the way. I prefer Hunan spices.

you're not the only one.

its generally love or hate. my sister in law loves stinky tofu. when we went to taiwan last christmas she was in heaven at the night markets. my brother and nieces were like wtf...see you later mom/wife we're going to go down the block where we can't smell that shit lol

I've read too many articles rooted in the exoticization of my people's food, written by white writers who don't speak a lick of Chinese.

History has a way of erasing our role in our own food.

"A good researcher and writer may be able to winnow out that backstory, but it will be third-person, as opposed to a writer who has lived that culture, who can write from a much deeper personal point of view," says freelance journalist Grace Hwang Lynch, whose work focuses on Chinese home cooking.

"I don't believe that only Chinese people can write about Chinese food, as there also many good Asian food journalists who could do a fantastic job covering French pastries. But Chinese-American writers who can cover Chinese food should be sought out for their personal insight and the humanity they can bring to these narratives."

I don't air these grievances in a vain attempt of recognition, as a Chinese woman who writes about Chinese food. I write this because history has a way of erasing our role in our own food.

Personally, if you want to talk about the actual history, science and origin of a food item, that's fine and great . The world needs more Alton Brown.

However, I really don't care about a reviewer's raising, history, or personal insights in regards to food. Too often that is just used as a way for writers to prop up their "authority" and forcing readers to read through yet another "grandma and I made dumpling", "kids at school laughed at my kimchi" Asian-American sob story. Do people really think I'll appreciate a bowl of ramen more if I hear about their personal history with it more? (tell me more about how long you brewed the broth for though.)

There is also nothing more annoying than reading up an Asian restaurant's review on YELP to see the following reviews side by side:

"I was raised in an Asian-American household, and I can tell you this is the one of the most authentic Chinese food ever."

"I have been eating Chinese food all my life, and this place is garbage."

(case in point: https://www.yelp.com/biz/nom-wah-tea-parlor-new-york?q=authentic , lines out the door yet you'll never find the older Chinatown folks here.)

Haly

True Authentic Chinese™ restaurant goers don't even mention authenticity.

It is a state of being they exist in continuously.

Sai-kun

Banned
slightly off topic, but I think my biggest pet peeve has been people/places labeling classic foods from a certain cuisine with small adjustments as 'modern'. like i went to some white ass mexican place and got some way-too-expensive tacos that the waiter described as 'a modern take on mexican food' and i wanted to slap his dumb ass, as if people only ate tacos in the stone ages or some shit. it's fucking tacos. they are timeless.

I find it funny that white people have suddenly "discovered" bone broth and now it's a thing when it's been part of most old cultures forever.

Umm, what? My mom made bone broth when I was a kid, and she said she learned it from her grandmother. It's not some new thing, its been around for ages in a lot of areas.

luchadork

I have a lot of chinese family members. They take a lot of pride in being chinese which is awesome but sometimes i dont think they realise how it comes across as a weird mix of victim mentality crossed with a pseudo racist superiority complex.

Gentrified but pretty good considering their average clientele: http://www.cafechinanyc.com/

psuedo racist superiority complex: check ✔

A key point in the article is that white America wants to learn about Chinese food from white writers instead of Chinese writers. You may say, "well the Chinese restaurants are still benefiting from it in the end", but still, it hurts to see your most intimate memories bandied about like a prize horse without being able to comment on it credibly. In a way, the author is still being bullied and ostracized, except instead of on the playground or in the classrooom, it's in the industry of food writing. Ultimately, this just keeps Chinese food as something remote, to be gazed at through the safety of a familiar perspective, rather than recognizing Chinese food as part of a culture on its own merits. I could go farther to say it contributes to the Othering and erasure of Chinese people in America itself, but that's a bit out of scope of this thread.

victim mentality: check ✔

However, I really don't care about a reviewer's raising, history, or personal insights in regards to food. Too often that is just used as a way for writers to prop up their "authority" and forcing readers to read through yet another "grandma and I made dumpling", "kids at school laughed at my kimchi" Asian-American sob story. Do people really think I'll appreciate a bowl of ramen more if I hear about their personal history with it more? (tell me more about how long you brewed the broth for though.)

There is also nothing more annoying than reading up an Asian restaurant's review on YELP to see the following reviews side by side:

"I was raised in an Asian-American household, and I can tell you this is the one of the most authentic Chinese food ever."

"I have been eating Chinese food all my life, and this place is garbage."

(case in point: https://www.yelp.com/biz/nom-wah-tea-parlor-new-york?q=authentic , lines out the door yet you'll never find the older Chinatown folks here.)

so spot on.

Haly

"Gentrified" is pseudo-racism now? Alright mate.
Yeah surprise, Chinese like to think of themselves as accepted by white America but that's unsurprisingly not necessarily the case.

Keep it up though. Show us how much more righteous you are for taking the subtle racism Chinese Americans face in stride rather than addressing it honestly and forthrightly.

EDIT: You know what I used to think like you actually, and over time I recognized this is basically the opposite side of the "Chinese pride" mindset where you start to resent your own culture and family for being insular and nearsighted. This kind of self-hatred is really common among urbanized Chinese American youth, and in the end it's just as misguided, because you fall into the trap of ignoring real problems your social group faces for fear of falling victim to the nationalism you so despise.

The original post I replied to was discussing filipino food in relation to "struggle food" threads on gaf. That's why I used the term in quotes, and I also explained the specific Filipino foods that come to mind that evoke that term to me and noted that those don't represent all of Filipino food.

Thanks for keeping my privilege in check, though.
Gladly. Hopefully next time you don't respond so defensively

Foggy

Foodie writers are an odd bunch. They're not as bad as music critics, but still really strange to read.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The US doesn't even understand authentic regional Mexican cuisine. Mexican means burritos. Maybe tacos. Sometimes even nachos.

Mexico is next door.

Good luck China.

You're awful but I knew this already. Sichuan > Hunan, but I do agree Sichuan is now a meme.

It's all about that Xinjiang for me now.

thumb_600.jpg

There's few parts of a pig/cow that isn't eaten somewhere in China.

Damn, that looks a lot better than what I'm
used to seeing

Sho is. Let me get that doh.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's weird how Chinese food became the cheap end of restaurant food in America and Japanese became the overpriced end. I guess it was a combination of the 80's and 90's, weaboos, and the high price of "sushi grade" fish.

I did a double look when playing Persona 5 and the characters mentioned going to a Chinese restaurant as one of the luxury options.

In China, I learned that the secret to the elasticity of hand-pulled noodles is an obscure desert plant.

Imagine if a hipster white chef started making pasta and enhanced it with salt bushes in the Mojave desert. He'd receive a roaring, standing applause and a string of awards. Chinese people have been doing the equivalent of that for centuries.

This a nonsense statement. Every culture has secret culinary techniques with oddly sourced ingredients.

smurfx

get some go again
i'll admit i love american chinese food. i'm not down with eating any type of intestines or other organ meat either. i wouldn't mind trying other chinese dishes though but i don't even know where to start.

Haly

The US doesn't even understand authentic regional Mexican cuisine. Mexican means burritos. Maybe tacos. Sometimes even nachos.

Mexico is next door.

Good luck China.

Mexican cuisine faces the same stigma I feel. Tex-mex is basically the Mexican equivalent of "crab rangoons". And it's a struggle to get your restaurant taken seriously as something people might drop a paycheck on. Indian is another.

Erheller

I have a lot of chinese family members. They take a lot of pride in being chinese which is awesome but sometimes i dont think they realise how it comes across as a weird mix of victim mentality crossed with a pseudo racist superiority complex. "why doesnt anyone like true authentic chinese culture?? also. noone will ever understand how good true authentic chinese culture is!!"

I feel like this article epitomises that mentality.

so spot on.

Wow, you're an expert on Chinese-American culture because you have a lot of Chinese family members.

Maybe, just maybe, the Chinese members in your family have a "victim complex" because they were treated unfairly for being Chinese?

But hey, I guess you find it fun to put down minorities because they complain about things you don't care for.

slightly off topic, but I think my biggest pet peeve has been people/places labeling classic foods from a certain cuisine with small adjustments as 'modern'. like i went to some white ass mexican place and got some way-too-expensive tacos that the waiter described as 'a modern take on mexican food' and i wanted to slap his dumb ass, as if people only ate tacos in the stone ages or some shit. it's fucking tacos. they are timeless.
Or "fusion." Oh, we made it the wrong way and/or used the wrong ingredients, so it's fusion cuisine. Like, it can still be good, but you can call it what it is.

lunlunqq

What to learn some more about Chinese cuisine. I recommend a classic An Lee movie, Eat Drink Man Women. It was from the era before his Oscar fame; but it was his best. Here is a snippet of it on Youtuke. Beware: contains scenes of slaughtering a live fish.

https://youtu.be/1-2QBYKI8LU

Fuchsdh

In general what is "good" food versus "cheap eats" has no real rhyme or reason. Lobsters were once poor people food in the northeast, obviously that's changed.

People not appreciating subtleties in regional foods is as noted irrelevant with regards to the issues of writing about Asian cuisines, because no average person outside the region is likely to understand or care about the differences. No one in China cares about the differences between Mexican and Salvadorean, no one in the US really understands the Chinese variations. Hell even within the US "southern food" is such a ridiculously broad category.

More to the point of the article, I can appreciate the thorniness of dealing with cultural elements that may not have been appreciated, but that should have very little to do with actual criticism and commentary. Some of these white people may have more actual connections to Chinese cuisine by traveling there than a Chinese-American living in the US, so trying to argue superiority based on skin tone or surnames sounds like a fools' errand.

A terrific article. I have a Caucasian friend who once declared to me that he'd discovered a fantastic new Chinese dish called xiao long bao. When I explained it's been around for decades and that they were originally a bread-like dumpling from Shanghai called xiao long man tao before taking their current form a few years later (I'm Chinese and my grandfather explained it to me), he gathered around his Caucasian hipster friends and basically used their numbers to tell me that I'm wrong and that it's brand new.

Fuck those guys.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So what you guys are telling me is that the "Chinese" food that I finally came to appreciate within the past five years, like orange chicken, sweet and sour pork, and beef and broccoli do not actually qualify as such?

See, this is why being open-minded is a dead end.

ColdPizza

Banned
Well that's the thing, it doesn't necessarily. A key point in the article is that white America wants to learn about Chinese food from white writers instead of Chinese writers. You may say, "well the Chinese restaurants are still benefiting from it in the end", but still, it hurts to see your most intimate memories bandied about like a prize horse without being able to comment on it credibly. In a way, the author is still being bullied and ostracized, except instead of on the playground or in the classrooom, it's in the industry of food writing. Ultimately, this just keeps Chinese food as something remote, to be gazed at through the safety of a familiar perspective, rather than recognizing Chinese food as part of a culture on its own merits. I could go farther to say it contributes to the Othering and erasure of Chinese people in America itself, but that's a bit out of scope of this thread.

I don't think white America necessarily wants it, but that's how it plays out for whatever reason. I just wonder how people feel about people like Rick Bayless for Mexican cuisine or Andy Ricker for Thai cuisine. Both of these guys were inspired by street food from those countries, and maybe by strict definition it was exploitative but I don't think there is ever any intent to harm people (which is the general vibe I get whenever I hear the words "cultural appropriation" thrown around).

Yeah, I get the feelings of the author in the OP. But she's ascribing these feelings she experienced growing up by kids who didn't know any better at the time and is conflating them with the hipsters of today. They're not the same entities, and global tastes are constantly evolving.

I checked out her twitter feed and you'll see people getting worked up over this topic going so far as to say white people are stealing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You're awful but I knew this already. Sichuan > Hunan, but I do agree Sichuan is now a meme.

It's all about that Xinjiang for me now.

I got to eat some local Sichuan in Chongqing earlier this year and it was soooo good and I'm so sad most trips only take me to the coasts

Haly

I checked out her twitter feed and you'll see people getting worked up over this topic going so far as to say white people are stealing.
That's just the Vice crowd. I don't really care for them; I'm only interested in the topic itself as it pertains to Chinese food and other maligned cuisines.

So what you guys are telling me is that the "Chinese" food that I finally came to appreciate within the past five years, like orange chicken, sweet and sour pork, and beef and broccoli do not actually qualify as such?

See, this is why being open-minded is a dead end.
I used to turn up my nose at it. Now I just give it its own category: Americanized Chinese, like how TexMex is distinct, for me, from Mexican. I just don't have a catchy name for it, which is why I'll never work in advertising.

Fuck those guys.
luuul

I'm sorry your chastisement didn't really work out, but you haven't had anything to say other than an attempted drive-by virtue signaling/shaming. I have an acerbic reaction to holier-than-thou people with nothing to say.
Funnily enough, you could have just as easily turned a blind eye to my post telling you to stop using demeaning language to describe a culture's food. But here we are again, with the back and forth pettiness, when you could have just said "oh hey, my bad" and moved on

LionPride

Banned
That's just the Vice crowd. I don't really care for them; I'm only interested in the topic itself as it pertains to Chinese food and other maligned cuisines.

I used to turn up my nose at it. Now I just give it its own category: Americanized Chinese, like how TexMex is distinct, for me, from Mexican. I just don't have a catchy name for it, which is why I'll never work in advertising.

luuul

ChinAmerican.....nah

luchadork

"Gentrified" is pseudo-racism now? Alright mate.

Gentrified but pretty good considering their average clientele.

You're implying that it would be better if it was filled with 'authentic' Chinese people, arent you? How else would you interpret that statement?

You know what I used to think like you actually, and over time I recognized this is basically the opposite side of the "Chinese pride" mindset where you start to resent your own culture and family for being insular and nearsighted. This kind of self-hatred is really common among urbanized Chinese American youth, and in the end it's just as misguided, because you fall into the trap of ignoring real problems your social group faces for fear of falling victim to the nationalism you so despise.

Thank you. So you at least acknowledge that this 'victim/superiority' mindset does exist among some Chinese people. Like I said, I think its awesome to have pride in your culture. But it does strike me as though sometimes some Chinese people are dying to be accepted for who they are by, lets be honest, white people, but at the same time they can be very quick to put down white people for either accepting it too much (labelled appropriation) or not getting it enough (labelled ignorance).

we had lunch at a Chinese girls place and there was a table lined with like duck skulls, or at least thats what i assume it was. I dont think I can get passed that barrier of food looking like death.

Ullus

I find it funny that white people have suddenly "discovered" bone broth and now it's a thing when it's been part of most old cultures forever. There's a lot of traditional stuff that people are discovering again which I'm happy for but just like discovering civilizations, it only counts as a discovery if white people discovered it.

Including ''white'' cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom