• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behind the effort to archive Nintendo’s disappearing social network

On November 7, another piece of Nintendo's short online history will go away forever. That's when Miiverse, the artwork and message sharing service embedded into many Wii U games, will be shutting down because, as Nintendo puts it, "among other reasons, many users are shifting to social networking services." While users can request an archive of their own Miiverse posts and drawings, the millions of memes, bad jokes, incisive game criticism, and more currently hosted on Miiverse will be removed from Nintendo's public servers in a few months (some features of certain Wii U games will also be impacted, as detailed in this FAQ).

That massive purge of player-created data wasn't acceptable to professional Web developer Tim Miller. Shortly after Nintendo announced the Miiverse shutdown last week, Miller started up an effort to permanently archive the network's public contents, complete with a GitHub page and the support of the Web preservationists at Archive Team.

"Any time a social network goes down, we lose a ton of data," Miller told Ars in an IRC chat. "Part of history, our culture, is lost. In Miiverse, especially in the art section, you can see people really investing a lot of their time and energy in it. And being able to save that for others to see and experience is extremely important.

"Just look at the people still making Splatoon art, right now, even though it's going away in a few months," he continued. "It's clear some people out there care about it, and preserving this data would be [a] great thing for all. It's important to remember that, when you give your data to companies like this, they can just as easily throw it away. And with that, so goes years of history."

miiversecomp.jpg

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/09/nintendo-miiverse-archive/

Good on them. Likely the last ever video game device with a resistive screen capable of that level of detail.

Yeah, that will be missed for games like Mario Maker Switch, Art Academy and Puzzle games. Meteos Switch never happened :(

On topic, I liked the Miiverse though didn't use it much lately. But there are some impressive drawings out there

Lynd7

Everyone remember the big 60hz campaign from the early days? Really sent a message to Nintendo as they did start to put out the US versions of a fair few of the VC games instead of the PAL ones.

prag16

Banned
Still can't fathom Nintendo ending Miiverse (including not putting it on Switch).

The people that would give a shit about my gaming garbage don't look at my twitter/facebook/etc.

The people that look at my twitter/facebook/etc don't give a shit about my gaming garbage.

Madao

Still can't fathom Nintendo ending Miiverse (including not putting it on Switch).

The people that would give a shit about my gaming garbage don't look at my twitter/facebook/etc.

The people that look at my twitter/facebook/etc don't give a shit about my gaming garbage.

i see it as Nintendo saving costs over everything else.

it's much cheaper to make poeple use FB/Twitter than maintaining their own version of that.

i see it as Nintendo saving costs over everything else.

it's much cheaper to make poeple use FB/Twitter than maintaining their own version of that.

Imagine all those Miiverse post on facebook (when it was relevant) or Instagram, that had been tons of cheap advertising for the system and its games.

A closed community like Miiverse is bad from a marketing perspective.

prag16

Banned

I'm sure. But the Switch, while a much better and more successful system by most measures than Wii U, will always lack a bit of the "soul" that Wii U had imo. It's too bad.

LoveCake

I have submitted a request to download all the posts I have made.

People are on the last official comment posting for Miiverse to be saved.

It is a real shame :(

Top Bottom