• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New swimming park in France: forbidden to dogs and hijabies.

19554482_10213731370304633_6296329603697674327_n.jpg

Sickening.

https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/videos/991684907639683/ (sorry the video is yet to be published in the Youtube channel)

Long story short, the infamous mayor of Laurette, Gérard Tardy who already made the news last year for having promoted a "noiseless ramadan" in his city is opening a new swimming park with a specific prohibition to any feminine muslim attire (hijab, burkini..).

It's not only in the water, it's in the whole park. So as a man, i can go there in trousers and sweatshirt and just stay by the pool, but a muslim woman wearing an hijab can't even enter the park for reasons.

French article

EDIT (from BaronLundi):

The illegal bylaw has now been removed by the mayor.

Legal proceedings against the bylaw were therefore dropped.

Several criminal lawsuits are still ongoing.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/fait...ini-1498960310

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol I saw the shorts in the picture and then went back to the OP and you edited it.

lol I saw the shorts in the picture and then went back to the OP and you edited it.

What ? I didn't edited any pictures, it's the same picture as in the article.

Do people even wear full hijab in France? Isn't that more saudi arabia? Don't they just wear the head scarf?

Don't know...

The ban include the head scarf. In France, there is not a lot of distinction between the different type of hijab. Hiding the hair is enough. Even a headband can be problematic in certain situation.

I thought France only banned the Burka or are they referring to people wearing Burkini's? The hijab was only about jobs which have a strict dress code. Unless I read that other thread wrong.

I think the lack of general coherence of the sign is just to confuse and make like the prohibition of hijab is not discriminatory. The internal regulation of the pool is way more clearer and clearly ban hijabis to even enter the swimming park.

En 2016, le Conseil d'Etat a d'ailleurs suspendu un arrêté municipal anti-burkini pris par la ville de Villeneuve-Loubet (Alpes-Maritimes) faute de "risques avérés" pour l'ordre public.

In 2016, the French Council of State suspended an anti-burkini decree issued by the city of Villeneuve-Loubet (Alpes-Maritimes region) due to the lack of "proven risks" to public order.

This mayor of Lorette is just making a publicity stunt. He KNOWS that his decree will be suspended just like the Villeneuve-Loubet one was last year. He just wants his name to be in the news.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not directly related to Hijab, but France always weirded me out on their no-shorts policy in pools.

I had to buy a pair of goddamn speedos or tight trunks just to be able to swim in the nearby pool on my holiday last year. Some pools even force you to wear a swimming cap.

It's Europe. Speedos only.

Not my Europe. France is the one of the few countries i've seen that regularly mandates this stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What ?

The ban include the head scarf. In France, there is not a lot of distinction between the different type of hijab. Hiding the hair is enough. Even a headband can be problematic in certain situation.

I thought you said in the OP you were walking around in shorts and not trousers. Maybe I'm mistaken then, but I thought that was the edit noted in the time stamp. Apparently shorts are banned at that park too?

Edit: Wait, no swim trunks too? Just speedos? lmao

Tagyhag

I can understand now allowing them for swimming, they should do that with shirts as well.

But the whole park? Ok asshole.

Not directly related to Hijab, but France always weirded me out on their no-shorts policy in pools.

I had to buy a pair of goddamn speedos or tight trunks just to be able to swim in the nearby pool on my holiday last year. Some pools even force you to wear a swimming cap.

Not my Europe. France is the one of the few countries i've seen that regularly mandates this stuff.

Haha that's super weird.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
why no shorts ? that's weird.

Because France is really fucking weird about swimming shorts. They don't think they're actually for swimming, and insist you wear Speedos. For real. I think it's possibly one of the most unnecessary rules anyone has ever come up with.

Source: went camping in France a couple of times and got yelled at numerous times in French just for wearing my usual swimming shorts.

Beaulieu

The swimming cap at least makes some sense.... but I really don't get the speedo thing.

I thought you said in the OP you were walking around in shorts and not trousers. Maybe I'm mistaken then, but I thought that was the edit noted in the time stamp. Apparently shorts are banned at that park too?

Oh ok sorry, you cannot go inside the water with shorts but you can go around with regular clothes.

Les usagers doivent avoir une tenue décente et une attitude correcte. Dans l'eau, seul le maillot de bain est autorisé : slip ou boxer pour les hommes, une pièce ou 2 pièces pour les femmes. Sur la plage sont autorisées les casquettes, chapeaux, paréos, tee-shirts, shorts de plage.

So the panel is definitely misleading to make the issue confuse, since it's dosen't specify which rule apply to water and do not.

Edit: Wait, no swim trunks too? Just speedos? lmao

I don't understand this cultural practice haha, it's just the worst.

Ryuuroden

I can understand now allowing them for swimming, they should do that with shirts as well.

But the whole park? Ok asshole.

Haha that's super weird.

Its so all the men can participate in the Battle of the Bulge.

(Regardless if you want to or not)

why no shorts ? that's weird.

It's Europe. Speedos only.

Swim trunks similar to boxer briefs are allowed:

6JwFG4vm.jpg

I don't see what's wrong with this type of swimwear.

commedieu

Banned
Looks like there will be no fun at this park. Based on the sign.

Good thing it isn't compulsory to visit it. Fuck this place.

Because France is really fucking weird about swimming shorts. They don't think they're actually for swimming, and insist you wear Speedos. For real. I think it's possibly one of the most unnecessary rules anyone has ever come up with.

Source: went camping in France a couple of times and got yelled at numerous times in French just for wearing my usual swimming shorts.
This is called hygiene
You can wear long style speedo-style/ boxer because yes speedo are ugly.
It's the same with the swimming cap
It's to avoid people leaving hair everywhere.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This is called hygiene
You can wear long style speedo-style/ boxer because yes speedo are ugly.
It's the same with the swimming cap
It's to avoid people leaving hair everywhere.

Nowhere else has these rules and they seem to be doing alright. Speedos aren't more hygienic, they're just more revealing.

Top Bottom