• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April Cover: Saints Row: The Third

Let's not get too carried away here guys.

Considering the second cover says "Welcome to Steelport, A City for Sinners And Saints", I would imagine we'll be getting a new city (it's about time!) but not a whole state like San Andreas, and certainly not a whole country like Just Cause 2.

Revenant

Exciting news, and another game to add to a great 2011 lineup. Saints Row 2 absolutely blew me away with how much fun it simply was. I enjoyed GTA IV, but I think in terms of total amount of just pure fun I had, SR2 absolutely took it for me.

stupei

OneLetter said:
There's not enough exclamation points in the world to describe how awesome it is to finally reveal Saints Row: The Third, and on the Game Informer cover, too! Kinda wish the :D smiley was here though...

I should also mention that this was easily the best kept secret, ever. Nobody had a clue we were making it at all. Nope.

You guys are awesome and your game sounds awesome.

Really hope they bring back all the voice actors from the last game, actually. Loved the latina chick, she was such a hilarious badass.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well I'm a huge fan since the first game, at the time when that came out I was even active on the Saints Row community boards with some Volition people there as well :).

Ploid 3.0

XiaNaphryz said:
It's not a very big plane - think of those smaller private jets. Come on, it has propellers on it even, not turbojets.

Was just about to mention this.

4231970445_776b33f5dd.jpg

Why would they be on huge commercial jets anyway, they are gangstas and they rule the world.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Classy covers. Don't really have interest in Saints Row, but the art is hot.

Dear Volition.

Can you please bring back Gary Busey for the trailers???? :)

Better yet, can you make him an unlockable character? I want to run around the city, going bat shit insane and yelling/laughing at people :D

squicken

Can't wait for more info. It's odd that Volition has two games coming the same year. You'd think they'd spread that out a little.

This is going to be the best game of 2011.

Like I don't even remember what the competition is anymore.

That reminds me. I gotta buy my brother another copy of the SR2 so we can do co-op.

I know this sounds silly, but I really wish we could just have Game informer cover unveil threads that don't mention the reveal in the subject line. I rather enjoy the surprise when it arrives in the mail, but almost every month there is a thread that spoils it. :(

ArachosiA 78 said:
Does anyone know if they will be incorporating the destruction system from Red Faction into this?

id love that but I think a full city with full destruction would make the PS360 shit its pants. Id love to be wrong tho. :D

however some cool activities where you go at a roped off building with demolition equipment would be AWESOME!

ZombieSupaStar said:
id love that but I think a full city with full destruction would make the PS360 shit its pants. Id love to be wrong tho. :D

however some cool activities where you go at a roped off building with demolition equipment would be AWESOME!
I remember when SR2 was first announced, you could fly planes through buildings. I suppose it's kind of fucked up, but I'd love if they brought that back.

This may be a bit off-topic, but I gotta say, Game Informer has some really classy covers designs. I really appreciate how uncluttered their covers are, especially compared to stuff like this:

SMP13.jpg

Yeah, I know it's an old magazine, but you'll still see game magazines today that feature a sensory overload of text and images on their cover. Game Informer and Edge are keeping it real.

Summary: Nice covers, GI.

Almighty

After just playing a little Saints Row 2 this is very nice news. I will be keeping my eye on it and a new city sounds very good.

-BLITZ-

Yes, yeess, yes. I just woke up now jumping from bed just to see if is official announce, anything related to this game and what I can say now is that, the second cover is just amazing. ^^ You can see the city so small from that altitude in the second pic, meaning that you can still do skydiving.

This game will crush other games that will come this year for sure.

danmaku

spicy cho said:
Decent PC port this time, and bring back co-op = day 1. SR2 was amazing.

This. I bought SR2 on a Steam sale but if the PC version doesn't suck I'll buy it at a high price.

-BLITZ-

So, as I promised, after GameInformer will launch the news, you can find the first one on Art Thread. Yes, at the moment, I don't have the second one. Feel free to download as much and many times you want.

iceatcs

Hopefully, create your own side-mission feature will be there. I think all of the sandbox aka GTA titles should have that.
At least it will great various MP features like SR2.

EYEL1NER

I wonder if the game will start off in the new city. I don't know how feasible it would be to have the old Stillwater AND Steelport, but I think it would be nice if they could do it.

I imagine most people would be burnt out on the same city after the past two games, but I like being familiar with the old city. I was right there with the Saints during their rise to power and like being able to know where everything is at and drive around like I own the city.

v0mitg0d

I know this has probably been stated in this thread but I've just got to add my two cents here.

I really enjoyed GTA4, like a lot. In fact I've played through the entire game twice (including the DLC), but I have to admit I sort of missed the carefree-wacky nature of GTA:San Andreas. Saints Row 2 totally (TOTALLY!) scratched that itch for me. In fact it took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I mean even though GTA4 took a more serious step forward (again, completely awesome though) it made me miss the wackiness.

I think the great thing about these games is they can co-exist very comfortably without causing any open-world GTA fatigue to the game. Even though they get compared quite a bit--and I think it's because of the "gangster/mob" theme more than anything else--they are really different experiences (at least to me).

But in regards to SR3, I do hope the find a way to exploit the really fun gaming bits (like the side stuff because to me that was the stuff that was totally the most enjoyable). My respect for Volition has grown considerable over the last few years and I now have huge exceptions for SR3. I'm really curious where the improvements are going to happen. One thing I'm really interested in seeing are the technical upgrades. Danny Bilson (THQ) stated a few weeks ago they have invested heavily in the technical growth of the game and said "people are going to see the game and say to themselves 'oh, that's where they put their money'".

I think there is a chance here that this game--even though some of us are really excited for it--could possibly be better than we anticipate. I'm secretly hoping they somehow integrate an AutoLog system (a la NFS How Pursuit) for the side stuff. :)

-BLITZ-

v0mitg0d said:
GTA:San Andreas.
From the many posts I've read here related SR Series topics, San Andreas is the main example than Vice City or IV [III is a little bit too old] by comparing this two gen of gameplay. Are the features and the atmosphere of San Andreas much better than the others ?! Well, is true because you can see that clearly and I recognise the same, I'm just surprised that so many have still choose San Andreas after so much time.

v0mitg0d said:
different experiences (at least to me).
The same to me. San Andreas story path goes in different way and time; their business beeing less noisy and more private with wood & desert stuff, no need to do so much damage to complete your missions, where on the other side, SR Series is more like waking up in the morning, and hop on the heli to blast some things with hundreds of bullets and rockets. I remember that every mission in SR2 contained a blast or at least consuming 1000 bullets; a wacky world in good terms comparing with this two Open World.

Well, the packshots are here.

Meier

-PXG- said:
That's kind of the point. Gaudy and over the top.
The problem is that you alienate your potential consumer. I'm sure many will say otherwise and talk about how it should be a non-issue blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of girlfriends and wives won't appreciate it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Summary Man said:
This may be a bit off-topic, but I gotta say, Game Informer has some really classy covers designs. I really appreciate how uncluttered their covers are, especially compared to stuff like this:

Yeah, I know it's an old magazine, but you'll still see game magazines today that feature a sensory overload of text and images on their cover. Game Informer and Edge are keeping it real.

Summary: Nice covers, GI.

Just curious, are you begging for a ban? if i remember correctly Stumpokapow told you to stop with that summary shit.

Edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26220142&postcount=579

Top Bottom