• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April Cover: Saints Row: The Third

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
-BLITZ- said:
From the many posts I've read here related SR Series topics, San Andreas is the main example than Vice City or IV [III is a little bit too old] by comparing this two gen of gameplay. Are the features and the atmosphere of San Andreas much better than the others ?! Well, is true because you can see that clearly and I recognise the same, I'm just surprised that so many have still choose San Andreas after so much time.

The same to me. San Andreas story path goes in different way and time; their business beeing less noisy and more private with wood & desert stuff, no need to do so much damage to complete your missions, where on the other side, SR Series is more like waking up in the morning, and hop on the heli to blast some things with hundreds of bullets and rockets. I remember that every mission in SR2 contained a blast or at least consuming 1000 bullets; a wacky world in good terms comparing with this two Open World.

Well, the packshots are here.

I'm going to go ahead and say that's a LE or CE cover art. Or will eventually become one

OneLetter

The_Technomancer said:
Hm, can I ask what you do at Volition?
I'm the Community Manager for Volition and I'll be around pretty often to answer questions. Please note, many questions I can't answer just yet (like the bottom one in this post), since GI will be revealing a ton of info really soon.

Samurai Penguin said:
Dear Volition.

Can you please bring back Gary Busey for the trailers???? :)
Here's my favorite trailer that we made with all the footage we shot of him. I feel the need to point out that this ENTIRE laugh sequence, including the whole "stop" part at the end, was one continuous take from him. It was amazing to see in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw0TSkdh1GU&hd=1

LovingSteam said:
Will you be handling the PC version or sending it out to a 3rd party ala SR2?
We'll have news on the PC version in the near future (see above).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
OneLetter said:
I'm the Community Manager for Volition and I'll be around pretty often to answer questions. Please note, many questions I can't answer just yet (like the bottom one in this post), since GI will be revealing a ton of info really soon.

Here's my favorite trailer that we made with all the footage we shot of him. I feel the need to point out that this ENTIRE laugh sequence, including the whole "stop" part at the end, was one continuous take from him. It was amazing to see in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw0TSkdh1GU&hd=1

We'll have news on the PC version in the near future (see above).
Co-op in, and is it as good as SR2's? I remember it was awesome in 2, but the game barely marketed that feature.

-BLITZ- said:
It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Meier said:
The problem is that you alienate your potential consumer. I'm sure many will say otherwise and talk about how it should be a non-issue blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of girlfriends and wives won't appreciate it.
Mrs. Neuromancer don't give two fucks.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Just curious, are you begging for a ban? if i remember correctly Stumpokapow told you to stop with that summary shit.

Edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26220142&postcount=579
Yeah cut that shit out Summary Man. It's not funny. It's just annoying.

I don't think she's too big compared to the plane. In-fact, that's a rather large ass plane... a lot of small twin-props, not including the tail, aren't even 6 feet tall. I think the cars in the background are too small.

Marleyman

Banned
I enjoyed this series as a distraction from GTA IV at first, but it definitely grew on me and became one of the better titles this gen. The storyline for SR, while not really important , has really been dreadful though. A character called Johnny Gat? Really? I appreciate the series for what it is and definitely look forward to playing it though. If the engine is as amazing as Bilson is saying it is, I am definitely intrigued.

Marleyman said:
I enjoyed this as a distraction from GTA IV and how serious the missions and side-missions were. The storyline for SR, while not really important obviously, has really been dreadful. A character called Johnny Gat? Really? I appreciate the series for what it is and definitely look forward to playing it though. If the engine is as amazing as Bilson is saying it is, I am definitely intrigued.
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'd rather have games that don't take themselves too seriously. Johnny Gat is a ridiculous, over the top character, in keeping with the ridiculous and over the top gameplay. One of many areas where GTA4 went wrong for me is the missions in that game aren't that much less ridiculous than in SR, but the cutscenes and the story tried to play off like it was this big serious deal.

Struct09

I like how they went with "The Third" rather than just 3. I wasn't a fan of the first two games, but I'll keep an eye on this one.

Marleyman

Banned
Neuromancer said:
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

No problem man. Won't be the first time and definitely won't be the last.

Neuromancer said:
I'd rather have games that don't take themselves too seriously.

All the time or if you had a choice? I enjoy a game/movie/tv show that doesn't take itself too seriously as well. I don't even think GTA IV took itself too seriously though. What it did, to me at least, was find a nice balance between absurdity and realism. I don't think SR has found that spot for me yet, although that isn't a bad thing that would keep me from playing and enjoying it. I just prefer GTA's overall storyline and writing.

Neuromancer said:
Johnny Gat is a ridiculous, over the top character, in keeping with the ridiculous and over the top gameplay. One of many areas where GTA4 went wrong for me is the missions in that game aren't that much less ridiculous than in SR, but the cutscenes and the story tried to play off like it was this big serious deal.

We will have to agree to disagree here also. I mean, the missions leading up to the bank robbery in GTA and the actual robbery itself didn't have any ridiculous elements in them. I appreciate SR for what it is, but I just don't care for poop-spraying side missions and the general storyline. There was just much more depth to Nikko that "The Boss" or whatever you call the fake lead in SR had.

All that said I will enjoy the hell out of SR3 when it arrives.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Was Saints Row 2 the one with Tera Patrick?
Not that i know who Tera Patrick is.

-PXG-

Meier said:
The problem is that you alienate your potential consumer. I'm sure many will say otherwise and talk about how it should be a non-issue blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of girlfriends and wives won't appreciate it.

This game isn't meant for that demographic to begin with. So who cares?

Loved the first two, never did finish the last mission in number two, just couldn't crack it.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

v0mitg0d

Not sure of the source but here is something. If this has any truth to this (grain of salt though really) then it sounds like they're heading in the right direction. Listen to this:

Take a tank skydiving, call in a satellite-targeted airstrike on a Mexican wrestling gang, and defend yourself against a highly-trained military force using only a sex toy in the most out- landish gameplay scenarios ever seen, igniting a city-wide war that will set Steelport on fire. Strap it on.

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2011/03/03/news-saints-row-the-third-details-announced/?18019000

UrbanRats

34ffhjl.jpg

Pimp cane, or no sale.

Bread

Banned
I hope they put more effort into the multiplayer, SR1 had amazing MP, me and my friends had so many great games of Blinged out Ride and Protect the Pimp, and SR2 got rid of everything that made the game awesome. PLEASE LISTEN VOLITION

v0mitg0d said:
Not sure of the source but here is something. If this has any truth to this (grain of salt though really) then it sounds like they're heading in the right direction. Listen to this:

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2011/03/03/news-saints-row-the-third-details-announced/?18019000
I believe it. Sounds utterly ridiculous.

Marleyman said:
All the time or if you had a choice? I enjoy a game/movie/tv show that doesn't take itself too seriously as well. I don't even think GTA IV took itself too seriously though. What it did, to me at least, was find a nice balance between absurdity and realism. I don't think SR has found that spot for me yet, although that isn't a bad thing that would keep me from playing and enjoying it. I just prefer GTA's overall storyline and writing.
Well maybe not all of the time, but GTA has the 'gritty crime drama' type story covered. I think it was a great idea for Volition to go the complete opposite direction for SR2 (and 3, from what it looks like), although obviously some people will appreciate that more than others.

Summary Man said:
This may be a bit off-topic, but I gotta say, Game Informer has some really classy covers designs. I really appreciate how uncluttered their covers are, especially compared to stuff like this:

Yeah, I know it's an old magazine, but you'll still see game magazines today that feature a sensory overload of text and images on their cover. Game Informer and Edge are keeping it real.

Summary: Nice covers, GI.

You used to be the anonymous poster proud to pronounce "first" in any blog to proclaim your meaningless stake?
Come on, we would like you even without gimmicks. You can drop it.

Hmm I was digging around in the new site's source code, got this list of keywords:

Code:
"Saints Row, Stillwater, Stilwater, Saints Row 2,[B] Misty Lanes, Waterman 
Planes,[/B] gangs, customization, Sons of Samedi, Ronin, Brotherhood of Stilwater, 3rd Street Saints, Third Street 
Saints, THQ, Volition, Street Lessons with Uncle Gary, multiplayer"
What the hell are Misty Lanes and Waterman Planes?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I really enjoyed playing SR2 Co-op.

Only thing that left a really nasty taste in my mouth was how poor the ps3 version of the game was.
I know Volition almost achieved parity with RF:G, i hope they optimize the ps3 version of this game more or i probably won't get it.

MMaRsu

Banned
I love the fact they are going the ANTI GTAIV way even more. Instead of you climbing from rags to riches, you're gonna start with a shitload of stuff, and you just take over some other city.

pilonv1

Dabanton said:
Yeah his a wrestler.

So they've maybe expanded the fighting styles you can choose when creating your character.

It's probably also something to do with the Mexican Wrestling gang.

oh my god if one of the fighting styles is full on pro wrestling I will just lay an egg. Rockbottoms and backbreakers in sr2 were great but my life for a hurricanrana off a skyscraper!

Messi

OneLetter said:
Full site will be up soon and will be auto-aligned. Now stop booing! ;)

Can you confirm if there are 'big ass chains' or if cheapy D's voice work will be in the game.

Shaneus

Seriously, seriously excited about this. I think I'm gonna replay SR2 in anticipation DESPITE my ridiculously long backlog.

Here's hoping I can get it running okay on my PC, only played it on 360.

OneLetter said:
Please note, many questions I can't answer just yet (like the bottom one in this post), since GI will be revealing a ton of info really soon.

So does that mean we wont see a trailer or any gameplay footage till after the GI issue has been released?

Aww man, that looks a lot like an NYC-esque skyline, and surrounding water areas. Hope for desert and/or forest areas dwindling.

legacyzero

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Hmm I was digging around in the new site's source code, got this list of keywords:

Code:
"Saints Row, Stillwater, Stilwater, Saints Row 2,[B] Misty Lanes, Waterman 
Planes,[/B] gangs, customization, Sons of Samedi, Ronin, Brotherhood of Stilwater, 3rd Street Saints, Third Street 
Saints, THQ, Volition, Street Lessons with Uncle Gary, multiplayer"
What the hell are Misty Lanes and Waterman Planes?
You had me at Uncle Gary LOL. The best aspect of their advertising for SR2.
Saints-Row-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6G9PN5z-E0&feature=related

For some reason I got a Gotham City vibe from Steelport.

Alright there needs to be some kind of costume that can be thrown on so I can enact vigilante justice.*

*Piledriving old ladies onto cars.

Oh and MAKE SURE the Shock Paddles are still in. Also keep the glitch where randomly a person will fly 50 feet into the air when they're shocked back to life.

I just hope the draw distance is fixed in #3. Only thing I hated in #2 was zooming down the street to snipe people only to all the people and cars disappear :(

It pretty much made the Sniper Rifle useless.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Neuromancer said:
First view of Steelport?
Seems kind of like a mash-up of New York and Pittsburgh.

I hope it's more Pittsburgh. The steep, winding hill streets, the huge bridges jutting out everywhere, any given section of town being on a wildly different elevation than the next... It would be such fantastic and atypical topography for an open world game.

legacyzero

Banned
Never seen that glitch before. Stuff like that is the reason why I loved SR2 more than GTAIV. Shit was just ridiculously fun. GTAIV (to me) just wan't what it could have been.

X26

Banned
Won't be hard for the new city to top stillwater, because as good as the first 2 games were stillwater was dull, lifeless, and not memorable in the least. When I think of the GTA cities there's always a bunch of stuff I can remember, but SR? Nothing

And countryside and some towns too, please

Top Bottom