• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

With Halo 2 Vista's servers going down in mid February, I'd be surprised to see them release Halo 2 with a different Netcode, or Halo 2 Vista on Steam.

Someone hacked the Steam registry and is fucking with us.

Where would be the point of releasing Halo 3 on PC ? Everyone has forgotten about this crap, if MS wanted the franchise to shine on PC they would port Halo 4.

Someone hacked the registry six months ago and only revealed it now?

Crub

Based on this, both Angry Birds and Cut the Rope are heading to Steam. I find it strange those two mobile juggernauts would suddenly be added around the same time. They've both had PC version for some time and could have easily been released in the past.

Among the entries are also:
-Eufloria HD (Besides the game already being on Steam, what's notable here is that "HD" is only in the title of the mobile version.)
-Jack Lumber (SEGA-published Fruit Ninja clone. Currently iOS exclusive.)
-Anomaly 2 (Developer implied they have no plans on releasing it outside of iOS and Android.)

I'm probably just grasping at straws here, but to me it seems like Steam might be expanding to Android games in a not to distant future.

derFeef

Where would be the point of releasing Halo 3 on PC ? Everyone has forgotten about this crap, if MS wanted the franchise to shine on PC they would port Halo 4.

Uhm, as you see, a lot of people are eager to play those games on PC, myself included.

Based on this, both Angry Birds and Cut the Rope are heading to Steam. I find it strange those two mobile juggernauts would suddenly be added around the same time. They've both had PC version for some time and could have easily been released in the past.

Among the entries are also:
-Eufloria HD (The game is already released on Steam. HD is only in the title of the mobile version)
-Jack Lumber (SEGA published Fruit Ninja clone. Currently iOS exclusive)
-Anomaly 2 (Developer implied they had no plans on releasing it outside of iOS and Android)

I'm probably just grasping at straws here, but to me it seems like Steam might be expanding to Android games in a not to distant future.

Valve has previously said that they would like to expand Steamworks to mobile. They just wanted to get an app out first that later include other things (Authentication App, mobile games, etc).

Eideka

Banned
Uhm, as you see, a lot of people are eager to play those games on PC, myself included.

Sorry I went off the rails with this comment.

For me it's a non event. The only late port I would buy full price would be RDR PC.

I can easily live without Gears 2/3 and Halo 3/whatever on PC.

Bluth54

Someone hacked the Steam registry? Really?

It's real. Halo 3 has a community hub page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/216800/

These games may never show up on Steam. There are games that have been added to the registry that have never been added to Steam (for example my favorite RTS, Rise of Nations). However the fact that these games are in the registry means that at the very least at one point the publishers and developers were considering bringing them to Steam and were working with Valve to bring the games to Steam.

Glass Rebel

If you had read the thread you'd know that this isn't the case.

Eideka

Banned
Someone hacked the Steam registry? Really?

It's real. Halo 3 has a community hub page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/216800/

These games may never show up on Steam. There are games that have been added to the registry that have never been added to Steam (for example my favorite RTS, Rise of Nations). However the fact that these games are in the registry means that at the very least at one point the publishers and developers were considering bringing them to Steam and were working with Valve to bring the games to Steam.

I will believe it when I see it. When has Halo 3 been added ?

Grief.exe

For me it's a non event. The only late port I would buy full price would be RDR PC.

Well you can live without, but a lot of PC gamers would like a modern Halo to play around with on PC. Especially considering how Halo 2 was a complete joke of a port and the servers are going down.

Three or Reach seem like the most likely picks for a late port.

Here is more definitive proof if you are interested.

A little update; I tried to trace the original dates of all of the database entries in the OP. Like I mention in the OP and in a number of replies, the "updates" today are from that site updating their data to link Community Hub data to registry data in order to match the names.

All of those OP entries do appear to be within the last year, for example the Halo entries were originally added in July 2012.

I know some people have speculated "maybe these entries are just years and years old and long-abandoned". That's not the case. All of these were added in the relatively recent past; whether or not the releases occur, this was clearly an intentional thing. And since some of the entries pre-date Community Hubs, it seems hard to believe that they'd have the Community Hub data if it was the third-party Community Hub hypothesis.

This also pretty effectively refutes the "they wouldn't add these things because they know it'd be leaked"--some of this stuff has been there for 8 months without being uncovered. This is clearly an accidental disclosure. I wouldn't be surprised to see all the community hub data reverting to the hidden ValveTestApp stuff.

Just checked, looks like all three Halo entries got added in July 2012. So, we're not talking about projects from years ago, from pre-release, that got abandoned. Someone made an active decision to add these to the registry.

Edit: Fez was added October 31, 2012.

Edit: KoF XIII, which as you can see actually has a Steam community hub icon, not just a name--someone needed to produce a graphic for it--got added mid-October 2012.

Edit: Dyad got added mid-October 2012

Edit: Lococycle late October 2012

Edit: Retro/Grade mid November 2012

Edit: Quantum Conundrum 2 August 2012

Edit: RE: Revelations (which has a Community Hub Icon): October 2012

Edit: The Splatters Dec 2012

Edit: Hardware October 2012

Edit: La-Mulana Jan 23, 2012 (after being Greenlit)

Could it be? Sure, we have no idea what it is.

But it being related to guides is basically a subset of the non-Steam game hub idea that I mention in the OP. That's definitely a possibility, but many of these games are coming to Steam and few of them definitively aren't. Also, the add dates were before Community Hubs. Also, the stuff that they added is very scattershot; major PC games that aren't coming to Steam aren't added... like, there's no Diablo or Battlefield entry or whatever, right? And probably a full three-quarters of this stuff is definitely coming to Steam.

So, like, for the third-party hub hypothesis to be true, it'd have to be the case that Valve added Halo 1-3 for the purpose of having third-party hubs in July 2012, but put them there under hidden names (ValveTestApp) and never launched third-party hubs but went on to launch user-guides for the existing hubs... and didn't allow the community to submit third-party hub stuff or add any other game... and didn't really add anything else around the same time that is similarly suspicious (there are no other totally left field games, all of the other unannounced stuff in the OP was added at a very different time)

It seems to me that the most likely case is, whether or not these games eventually release in Steam, that someone at Microsoft created these entries for them.

I think what we're seeing here is that Valve's method of keeping unannounced games secret has a loophole that no one noticed for a long time involving community hub data. I think these are legitimate entries, and that at some point in July 2012 Microsoft was exploring releasing these games, whether or not they eventually do.

Stop being foolish.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Oh!

Well if you don't care, clearly we can all stop talking about it then!

Doffen

Given how the Windows 8 store doesn't allow the sale of Mature games, if Microsoft were to port Halo 3 to the PC, they wouldn't be able to sell it there, right,oOr did they change that by now? Seems weird that they'd port a game they wouldn't be selling themselves.

It does, both PEGI 18 and Mature are now allowed for apps and linked desktop software. This happened back in December. But Windows Store isn't intended for games like Halo.

vT2ffDI.png

Both The Witcher 2 and GTA IV are linked in the Windows Store.

Kientin

Will be getting La Mulana when it comes out. Would definitely grab Fez and Dyad. If all three of those KoF games came out on steam I would probably have a heart attack.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't think I'm being foolish when I say that there is no point in porting such an old game on PC.

I buy old games on Steam all the time. For instance, if they announced Halo 3 being ported to PC and being exclusive to Steam, that announcement would get a shit ton of buzz, I bet.

siddhu33

Halo 3 had some pretty awesome stuff technically, like proper HDR, large game environments(for an FPS anyway), and sandbox AI. I'm sure that with 60FPS and the ridiculous AA that you can get on PC, this game would look and play amazing. And imagine if people could mod it! Halo 3 PC, with everyone's favourite maps, weapons, and items.

Do this Microsoft. You'll get so much money if this is done properly.

indeed, specially considering how gears 3 doesnt even manage to look better than gears 1 on pc with dx10 on and vivid post processing.

derFeef

Alan Wake was a PC exclusive once, not surprising to see it recouping its costs so rapidly. The game was still relevant in the PC space....But Halo 3 ?

Seriously MS you really have no clue. A more recent 360 exclusive would be a better choice.

I don't get this relevant thing. A new game is a new game for that platform, it may be old to some, but still interesting to others. Hell I played Halo 3 a few times and I would totally play it again on PC.
Also Alan Wake was never a pure PC exclusive afaik. Same myth as that open world game thing.

Eideka

Banned
It wasn't and by this logic maybe Halo 1-3 are Steamplay with Mac versions :p

Right, you know what I meant.

Anyway I'm all for MS to release their exclusives for PC but the right ones. I don't mean to offend anyone but of all the Halo games MS would port the third one to PC ?
That makes no sense.

legacyzero

Banned
I remember MS saying that they wanted to try and make another splash in the PC gaming market again some time ago. I had thought they had just given up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KoF '98/'02:UM's with GGPO being downloaded and set up through Steam? YES PLZ SNK/Suckmore.

scitek

Alan Wake was a PC exclusive once, not surprising to see it recouping its costs so rapidly. The game was still relevant in the PC space....But Halo 3 ?

Seriously MS you really have no clue. A more recent 360 exclusive would be a better choice.

They would likely use the reaction to the Halo trilogy being released to decide whether or not to bring over ODST, Reach, and eventually 4, and possibly release future installments on PC alongside the next-gen console versions.

Glass Rebel

Right, you know what I meant.

Anyway I'm all for MS to release their exclusives for PC but the right ones. I don't mean to offend anyone but of all the Halo games MS would port the third one to PC ?
That makes no sense.

No, I don't know what you meant.

And it makes absolute sense. Halo 1 is on PC, Halo 2 is on PC... Halo 3 the next entry. That is, if it hasn't been cancelled in the mean-time.

Wouldn't Halo 3 be a difficult port? It being an early gen game (with unique work arounds for using the Hard Drive) and not having full access to Bungie's employees.

Top Bottom