• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Purify now blocks ads again on iOS.

Edit: All of my widgets in Notification Center are now displaying properly. They had been messed up since DB1.

Also, opening apps now animates the window sliding in from the side rather than zooming in on it. Not sure if it’s a bug or intended that way.

Edit 2: Likely a bug, since the zoom animation still exists on my iPad Air 2.

Also, you still can’t swipe away notifications in Notification Center 😡

Edit 3: Definitely a bug since it stopped doing it on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Purify now blocks ads again on iOS.

Edit: All of my widgets in Notification Center are now displaying properly. They had been messed up since DB1.

Also, opening apps now animates the window sliding in from the side rather than zooming in on it. Not sure if it’s a bug or intended that way.

Edit 2: Likely a bug, since the zoom animation still exists on my iPad Air 2.

Also, you still can’t swipe away notifications in Notification Center 😡

Edit 3: Definitely a bug since it stopped doing it on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Amazing on the Purify. Can’t wait for tomorrow

Guess Who

Banned
Notable performance improvement on my iPad mini 4. The multitaking switcher animation is now actually an animation instead of a 5fps stuttery mess.

Wondering if this might be the first beta I feel brave enough to put on my iPhone.

The failure to actually fix Notification Center or to substantially revamp app icon rearrangement feels bizarre at this point.

You still can't swipe left/right on notification without bringing up camera/widgets? That's been such an annoyance since I got the beta.

They did improve notifications insofar as you know longer have to swipe up to see “older“ notifications.

That never made sense to me anyways since there was never a clear definition of what “older“ meant.

Also, dictation no longer capitalizes the first letter of every word, as this post proves!

Just give me back the swipe to dismiss notifications and I’ll be okay. I’ll forget about other improvements but having to 3D Touch on each one individually is agonizing 😭

Puggles

The developer beta wasn't updating on my Macbook Pro so i just switched to the public beta...hopefully that doesn't cause any issues.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This update is absolutely murdering my iPhone's battery...

It's not like a clear warning isn't posted on every site and every thread talking about betas killing your battery life. It's like burning yourself on the plate in the restaurant after the server tells you "be careful the plate is hot"

would have loved a Watch update today. iOS beta is amazing. Watch beta on an OG is borderline unusable. Guaranteed to be the last time I ever put a beta on the Watch ugh.

It's not like a clear warning isn't posted on every site and every thread talking about betas killing your battery life. It's like burning yourself on the plate in the restaurant after the server tells you "be careful the plate is hot"

Obviously, betas have issues. I’m not complaining. I’m pointing out to others that there’s some severe battery drainage happening for me (worse than the previous two DBs) in case they want to hold off installing.

Vuze

would have loved a Watch update today. iOS beta is amazing. Watch beta on an OG is borderline unusable. Guaranteed to be the last time I ever put a beta on the Watch ugh.
Uh oh, doesn’t sound good. Unusable as in slow as shit or just buggy?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
These updates tend to reindex Spotlight and/or rescan Photos after installation. Give it a bit of time.
With beta 1 and beta 2 I felt I had to have my phone plugged in all the time. I've no idea what was going on, but every day it looked like the battery would drain like like 4 hours when unplugged, with some fairly non-intensive use.

borghe

Uh oh, doesn't sound good. Unusable as in slow as shit or just buggy?

omfg. where to begin. So the entire reason I downloaded it is because the HIIT workout feature is MAJORLY appealing to me.. so....

first off, battery life is insane.. now "it's a beta", yes... BUT... there seems to be a CLEAR culprit here. On OS4, whenever you are playing music on your phone, Now Playing is now the default watch face. Honestly it's kind of useful as hell.. BUT on days I am listening to a ton of music? My Watch dies like 6 pm or so (12 hours). No workout, nothing. On days with a workout and I DON'T listen to a ton of music? it lasts close to around 6-7pm. with an hour long-ish workout.. on days with no music and no workout? it last until bedtime (barely). OS3 is would last until bedtime every single day. always. Even with 2 hours of workouts.. say a HIIT and a bike ride.. I'd still get to 10pm with like 35%. So yeah, Now Playing is a massive battery drain, AND you can't turn it off....

So about that workout.... the workout app is now just sketchy as fuck. I think there's a problem where it both has some bugs, AND is massively laggy (seemingly unresponsive) because of poor performance in the beta. So adding a new workout (which is what I wanted) in the middle of a workout? I mean it's really about 50/50 if it actually works or not. And if it looks like it succeeds, there are still issues where like your calories and time are right for the entire session, but the previous workout is just lost and never recorded in Activity (even though calories and time are right)

so all of that was frustrating enough.. but I've started doing bike rides.. so I rode 4 miles to Target yesterday.. no problems. I pause the workout (which I actually did this earlier in the day no issue). go in, do some shopping, come back out, put my shit in the basket.. go to resum.... nope.. the watch is responsive.. and it shows me hitting resume, but it never resumes.. fuck.. so I end that workout and start another one.. here's where I was about to chuck my watch. So the workout starts, I start pedaling.. it says 0mph and 0 distance... hmm... so I go for about 1/2 mile.. nothing.. and my music won't play (through my phone, over my airpods..) so I stop and reboot the watch.. start back up.. every time I start a workout it kills my music.. and the workout app (swipe left) won't start my music.. I have to go to the phone.. so I am like "fuck it.. I might as well at least get credit for the calories, even if it doesn't map my route and take my stats"... except that my music WOULD NOT STAY PLAYING...

so I mean.. if I have to go without music or heartrate on a 4 mile ride.. I am going without heart rate.. fuck that.. so I start pedaling with my watch just being a watch.. a song comes on as I am biking and I am like "oooh what is this?" and I look at my watch. "oh cool!" and as soon as my face goes back to sleep MY MUSIC STOPS!!

I mean... this is just one story.. everything on the watch takes forever.. everything is laggy. And half the time shit doesn't work.. I am pretty sure that it's just lagging and I don't have the patience for the 10s plus it takes to respond.

and yeah... the battery life if you do ANYTHING with the watch is atrocious..

now I thought I knew what I was getting into.. I've been using betas since the 4S. and I've never once regretted being on an iOS beta.. but this thing.. omfg omfg omfg omfg... if I had ANY ability to downgrade, even losing EVERYTHING.. I would.

Battery killer. If you don't put your Watch in Airplane Mode then you're looking at charging it 3-4 times a day.

nah.. I mean I have an OG that was shipped to me (as a replacement) sometime early last summer.. and without the drains mentioned above, I can barely go all day (literally barely).. now if you're talking about playing music? omg ok yeah.. then it takes down about 10% an hour or so.. stupid Now Playing widget...

Vuze

Eww, that sounds terrible. Thanks for the rant/impressions, I’ll stay away even though I was tempted because some of the new stuff seems very neat.
Not sure why the widget would drain so much in foreground, I mean, it’s been in the background in OS3 all the time as well and I had it in the foreground basically always when I listened to music for the past months. Probably just some bug.

kiguel182

Sometimes iOS loses the beta profile, might have to reload it using Apple Configurator. Should get it then.

Apparently Apple Configurator is 32 bits only...

If it doesn’t find it tomorrow I might reinstall the profile to see what happens.

jstripes

Banned
With beta 1 and beta 2 I felt I had to have my phone plugged in all the time. I've no idea what was going on, but every day it looked like the battery would drain like like 4 hours when unplugged, with some fairly non-intensive use.

Oh ya, my battery's been performing like shit under iOS 11, but it's an iPhone 6 so it was only slightly less garbage under iOS 10.

Battery life is usually bad with beta releases because they've got more diagnostics, debugging, and telemetry collection going on in the background.

An hour and a half ago, I said this update is killing my battery. I was at 62%.

I’m now at 1%. I’ve only used Safari here and there to browse and post to GAF. No videos. No music. No games.

Be careful putting this on daily drivers, folks.

I'm now at 1%. I've only used Safari here and there to browse and post to GAF. No videos. No music. No games.

Thanks for the warning, I'm downgrading right now. I really love the new control panel (mainly for controlling Hue lights), but constant judderiness of animations and being unable to swipe away notifications is really grating. If next update leaves those bugs in and ruins the battery as well, I'm not even going to bother waiting for it.

HoTHiTTeR

I’m now at 1%. I’ve only used Safari here and there to browse and post to GAF. No videos. No music. No games.

Happened to me too. I rebooted post update and whatever stuck process reset. All is good now.

Guess Who

Banned
Notification Center is definitely better in the new beta compared to B1/B2, at least - no more scrolling to get to your older notifications (they all just appear right away, though previous notifications are denoted by an "Earlier today" header), and no more "Press home to unlock" text which also better differentiates it from the lock screen. On my iPad, I also noticed notifications are a little wider and fill the space better. They were very narrow and iPhone-width on betas 1 and 2.

Still, I think they should go back to a blurred background, and bring back notification swiping.

now I thought I knew what I was getting into.. I've been using betas since the 4S. and I've never once regretted being on an iOS beta.. but this thing.. omfg omfg omfg omfg... if I had ANY ability to downgrade, even losing EVERYTHING.. I would.

Wow, I was mega tempted to jump on due to the Siri Watch face but issues with iOS11 made me see sense so I downgraded and left the Watch alone.
Really glad I never now, sounds hellish.

Have you tried the Siri face much? What 'cards' has it shown for you if so...?

SuperPac

Apparently Apple Configurator is 32 bits only...

If it doesn’t find it tomorrow I might reinstall the profile to see what happens.

I had the same issue w/my iPad Pro 10.5. Turned out I didn't have the beta profile installed anymore (not sure how it got removed). I reinstalled it, and got the beta 3 download.

The new Notification Center can’t be better because there’s no more integrated spotlight search. Now I have to swipe to the widget screen

DOWN

Banned
My iPad Air 2 says "This accessory may not be supported" despite using Apple cables and chargers... and yet despite not showing the charging icon, sure enough the battery is secretly charging still

Biggest issue I have is with airplay and the phone freezing for a good 15-20 seconds after I close an app. Hope that gets fixed.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
My iPad Air 2 says "This accessory may not be supported" despite using Apple cables and chargers... and yet despite not showing the charging icon, sure enough the battery is secretly charging still

Mine did this until I restarted the device and it was fine after that.

Is the Showtime iPad app broken for anyone else?

Video playback always fails for me on all beta versions, disappointing! Gotta get my new Peaks.

Notification Center is definitely better in the new beta compared to B1/B2, at least - no more scrolling to get to your older notifications (they all just appear right away, though previous notifications are denoted by an "Earlier today" header), and no more "Press home to unlock" text which also better differentiates it from the lock screen. On my iPad, I also noticed notifications are a little wider and fill the space better. They were very narrow and iPhone-width on betas 1 and 2.

Still, I think they should go back to a blurred background, and bring back notification swiping.

This does sound improved, but I feel like the smart thing to do would be to make the 'older' notifications grouped by app for simpler triage, while the newer ones stay individualized.

borghe

interesting.. my WATCH (yes watch) actually seems to be improving slightly better with the IOS beta 3... which is weird.. but more responsive, and less laggy.

one annoyance is my phone started doing haptic on notifications now.. it's supposed to turn off haptics for notifications while my watch is on.. grr.. just started in beta 3.

Guess Who

Banned
This does sound improved, but I feel like the smart thing to do would be to make the 'older' notifications grouped by app for simpler triage, while the newer ones stay individualized.

They've long needed the ability to group notifications by app in iOS. It took them long enough to make actionable notifications, I can't believe we still don't have notification collapsing yet.

Are you on DB3? I had the same issue with the first two DBs with my Air 2, but DB3 seems to have cleared it up.

Salmonax

I've had the same issue. And while it does charge, the side effect is that it never backs itself up because it never registers being plugged in.

Top Bottom