• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple secretly demoed it's VR headset to the top 100 Executives. $3000 reconfirmed, expecting 1 million sold first year. Little to no profit initially

daffyduck

If the VR headset can basically be a Mac, I think it will be worth it. Imagine having your own little office and being able to code and manage a lot more things at once. VR future is applications and productivity, not video games.
It's a nice thought, but knowing Apple, expecting: 8GB ram, 256GB, no HDMI or Displayport, and one usbc jack. Anything better are $$$ upgrades.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is this device meant to be self contained? Possibly with a VR tuned M2 processor or something similar?

gothmog

Gold Member
I dont know whats worse, the $3k price tag, or the fact it has a $3k price tag and they are making NO PROFIT.

Still Apple diehards will buy this, and they probably will hit that 1mil sales in the first year target, as crazy as that sounds.

I do find it interesting how some tech companies seem all in on VR, and some dont seem to care about it. Some companies do def seem to be taking a 'wait and see what happens' stance with VR.

For me, VR will never be mainstream until a VR headset looks like this -
MicAndKeithsMidnightRamble_3Q_1000x_6eb8f81b-ae21-4d09-a256-0942cb81e5e1.jpg

I wonder how long we are away from that.
I think we will get there with contacts before we get to glasses that size. There's already prototypes of in eye AR displays that embed a small battery and a low latency radio in the lens.

does it require a $3,000 mac pro to use it or is it all built-in the headset? if its built in then i can see why its $3,000, otherwise wtf could possibly be in it?

For now im assuming 1 million n sales is almost exclusively corporate sales. Game studios, film studios, ect could male great use of high-grade vr set like this. but this certainly will never gain traction on the home market at this price.

daffyduck

I don't think we are very far away from something like that but I don't even think that will be good enough due to light bleed everywhere so I think something akin to swimming goggles will be about the closest, but I expect retinal projection to be the future (unless we can eliminate the use of our eyes completely)
As in a microchip implant?

i cant go for that soul train GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Like everything else apple makes, it will be overrated with inferior specs and isheeps will buy it anyway.
yes that must be how apple became the world first 3 trillion dollar company.
by selling bad stuff.

Or why tablets only became big when Apple made one
Mp3 players became big when Apple made one
Wireless earbuds? Apple
Capacitive touch input going big on phones? Apple
Ditching intel for laptops and creating 20+ hour battery life laptops that are still super powerful? Apple.

Yes they have dumb shit, like a 1000 dollar monitor stand or 700 dollar wheels or the must unergonomic mouse ever created that can't be charged when used.
but this blind apple hate is immature as fuck.

their current sub 800 dollar m1 macbook air shits all over 2K+ ultrabooks.

Belthazar

keep laughing
i got the apple watch ultra day 1
this is a steal if... Apple does their Apple shit to this thing i will happily pay the fee

try owning a mac mini , macbook, iphone, apple watch, airpods, homepod , apple tv and smart home compatible stuff like an ebike or car.. it just works.. can't state enough how great it is when you are into it

Is this satire? I mean... It has to be, right?

DragonNCM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...res-top-100-meeting-watch-like-start-lfpgdgdb

So this dropped, and we don't know if what was demoed to the top 100 Executives is what's going to be shown at WWDC in June, however, if it is than some of this news is rather peculiar.

Basically, the article implies that the Executives were impressed with what Apple showed, but were not sure people would know how to apply this into their daily tech lives, and not just that, but not sure Apple could message what benefit the VR headset will/would provide to consumers.

The article also implies that based on the demos the Executives saw, (we don't know if that demo was the final or near the final version or not) that the headset may actually be rushing out without having a solid foundation in place, which would be ironic if what was demoed will end up being shown in June, because many companies have recently reacted already to "beat" Apple to in the VR space by rushing their OWN headsets, or plans forward.

Also based on the demo shown, there's an assumption the headset will be launching without a killer app, though I'm sure there's one or two pieces of software they are going to push hard when the June WWDC presentation happens, but the Executives either didn't see them at the demonstration, or did see their software and concluded none of them had the potential for being a killer app.

Then there's this new info about an external battery that doesn't need to be charged every two hours, but the wording here is it may need to be "replaced" every two hours which is worse. But this seems strange to me unless they are using actual Duracell-style batteries for the headset, which would just be completely out of touch. I'm assuming that there's an error here and that they meant that in standalone mode you only have about 2-3 hours of battery life before needing to charge. Which would be much less completely insane, and make a lot more sense.

Despite this the estimated $3000 price has been reconfirmed, and Apple still expects to sell at least 1 million mixed-reality headsets in its first year. There's also still the expectation that Apple will become the market leader in the VR space given the current poor perception of the VR market.

I guess how this will ultimately end up working out will depend on if what the Executives saw at the secret meeting, was the final version that's going to be shown to us consumers in June or not. They were impressed with what they saw, but the flaws being reported here, and executives being skeptical if Apple has messaging to get people to buy it, makes me wonder if they were shown something that was the final, or close to the final version. I doubt Tim Cook, who reportedly ignored his design team to join the operations lead in pushing out the headset this year for his legacy, wants to retire from Apple with a rushed product with poor messaging as that would but a stain on his legacy. Although, Timmy boy has made some odd decisions here and there.

One other thing I noticed is they say Apple will likely not make much if any profits on the headset because of the components costs, but there's no way the components are that far ahead and that expensive. I speculate the most likely reason for Apple not making profits, is that the $3000 is likely going to be subsidized by carriers and retailers for monthly payments, which may also have upgrade plans, and people paying monthly may not be paying the full $3000 in the end, so Apple is taking those losses into account. If the components really are that expensive, than I expect that we will be amazed at the final specs on this thing.

fleetwood-mac-little-lies.gif

If Apple sell a VR headset for $3,000 then there's absolutely no way they won't be making a huge profit on every one because that is the basis of their entire product line and why they are one of the richest and most successful companies in the world.

If they think they can sell a million VR headsets at $3K a pop then I say good luck to them. I will not be buying one though.

old-parts

RFM is a very observant tech/finance guy, his take on it.

Basically the Apple headset is a developer headset being pushed out into the market before the concept of the metaverse/mixed reality (whatever you want to call it) is ready for consumers, the risk for Apple is someone comes out of nowhere with a working solution that takes off and turns Apple's iPhone business into the next Nokia, something Apple want to avoid hence this launch in the hopes they have a horse in the race (over the next decade).

Lots of risk with this if things go wrong, many of Apple's famed designers have left the company, UI wise the whole mixed reality concept is difficult to pull off.

Zok310

Banned
Assuming this is true, if 1 million people buy a $3,000 VR headset in a year, Apple fans are even more idiotic than I thought. 🤔
or maybe they got more money than you and me.... they dont have to be idiots, we can just be broke, everyone on the planet knows apple aint trying to sell shit to broke ass people thats for sure.

nemiroff

Gold Member
People will laugh at that statement but it's true. If Apple, the richest tech company on the planet, can't make it a success then who can? Others have tried and failed including Google and Microsoft.
I don't quite agree with this angle, at least if we're talking about v1. Apple, and everyone else, including investors actually don't think this generation will have stellar sales and incredible profit. That's kinda the important point in all of this. The only reason companies have jumped in is to build competence for the future, making tools and development environments. ..And of course to not let potential competition get the leg up. It's a highly risky business venture at the moment though, and some companies have already ran out of budget, like f.ex. HP sadly which has one of the better balanced headsets around.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
At $1500 plus however many thousands of dollars for the other hardware needed this thing better bring me to orgasm every morning while it cooks me breakfast.

I want my eggs over easy with my bacon crispy.
Then you’re not the target audience. At $1,500 you’re in mobile phone territory. The bigger concern here should be that the product is being rushed to market to secure Tim’s legacy, rather than the price point.

RFM is a very observant tech/finance guy, his take on it.

Basically the Apple headset is a developer headset being pushed out into the market before the concept of the metaverse/mixed reality (whatever you want to call it) is ready for consumers, the risk for Apple is someone comes out of nowhere with a working solution that takes off and turns Apple's iPhone business into the next Nokia, something Apple want to avoid hence this launch in the hopes they have a horse in the race (over the next decade).

Lots of risk with this if things go wrong, many of Apple's famed designers have left the company, UI wise the whole mixed reality concept is difficult to pull off.

Seems silly to rush it to market. If there’s a better competitor they should be able to quickly react if their VR product is in development

Cyberpunkd

Seems silly to rush it to market. If there’s a better competitor they should be able to quickly react if their VR product is in development
You understand product development takes ages? Even iPod capitalised on the nascent mp3 industry, it didn’t invent it. Kindle did it for ebooks, it didn’t invent ebooks.

These products are not developed overnight, usually they come at just perfect moment between hobbyists duck taping things and the mainstream. That moment is never known in advance, only in hindsight.

Last edited:
3K for a VR is not totally outrageous if there is the tech behind it, not that I'd buy it because I'm just skeptical about Apple overall. They are never the best option when it comes to cost-benefit. If this is successful as they expect it to be, then they'll release a newer version every year...

You understand product development takes ages? Even iPod capitalised on the nascent mp3 industry, it didn’t invent it. Kindle did it for ebooks, it didn’t invent ebooks.

These products are not developed overnight, usually they come at just perfect moment between hobbyists duck taping things and the mainstream. That moment is never known in advance, only in hindsight.

They should keep perfecting the product and if they think there’s competitor risk they can then start finalizing it for retail

Won’t happen over night but should be doable in 12 months or so

th4tguy

If the VR headset can basically be a Mac, I think it will be worth it. Imagine having your own little office and being able to code and manage a lot more things at once. VR future is applications and productivity, not video games.
As someone who spends 50+ hours a week doing this, I can’t think of anything worse than making me wear a very headset while doing this. Sounds like torture.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
try owning a mac mini , macbook, iphone, apple watch, airpods, homepod , apple tv and smart home compatible stuff like an ebike or car.. it just works.. can't state enough how great it is when you are into it
Yeah, they got my whole house to switch over in about 2 years. My wife got an iPhone 11 after playing with the kids iPads for a bit now we all have iPhones, a MacBook, 4 iPads, 5 Apple Watches, 4 AirPod pros, and we have 2 Apple TVs.

Everything works great and all ties together. To each their own of course, but I won’t go back.

NickFire

I hope it does sell. I won't be spending that kind of money on any VR, but the more that people do the more it grows. And then there will be more VR games, more competition on prices (for good tech, not that mall kiosk stuff where you stick a phone in some hollowed out binoculars), etc. And then one day I'll be able to justify buying a VR just to play a certain racing game in it.

Goalus

I prefer Surface Book, Surface Duo, Xbox Series X, Xbox One X, Xbox Wireless Headset, the Microsoft Rewards system, Bing, Edge, and Microsoft Authenticator to store my passwords. It just works, best connectivity ever.

Poor Eddie, his heart was in the right place, but his spamming of threads was out of control and his analysis was woeful. Special shout-out to his holiday sales thread and his VR games sales list with most data from 2021.

To be honest it wasn't the worst spam that I saw. I remember there was one guy who did some hardcore astroturfing with his threads. Eddie wasn't that terrible but he was still bad.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
To be honest it wasn't the worst spam that I saw. I remember there was one guy who did some hardcore astroturfing with his threads. Eddie wasn't that terrible but he was still bad.
He just over reached so bad on the scantest of info and wouldn't listen to anyone who explained why he was in error.
Like that holiday sales thread where he took a list of examples of 5 hot items and decided that was actually the top 5, then on top of that decided they were a top 5 list in order even though it didn't make a blind bit of sense when you did that.
Also his spam did get a little crazy, like his - these might be some of the wires in the apple VR headset - thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom