• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple changes VR headset maker to Luxshare from Pegatron. Will have Foxconn develop cheaper headset in parallel.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/appl...opment-taken-over-by-chinese-supplier.761421/
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apples-cheaper-vrar-headset-already-in-development-says-new-report
A new report says Apple will rely upon Chinese company Luxshare, not its usual Taiwanese suppliers Foxconn or Pegatron, to develop its first mixed reality headset.
Apple generally relies upon its longtime Taiwanese supply chain to develop and release first-generation products. However, if a new report is to be believed, Apple will use a Chinese supplier instead.

According to the report from Nikkei Asia, Luxshare is taking over the development team in Shanghai that was previously owned by Pegatron. This information was shared by five anonymous sources familiar with the matter.

The report refers to Apple's new products as augmented reality headsets, not mixed reality. However, it seems they are referring to the headset expected to be announced at WWDC, not a device like Apple Glass.

Pegatron had been working with Apple, the report states, but it has been on and off for four years. The company became skeptical about Apple's headset plans and exited the project to focus on other applications, according to a supply chain executive.

The shift to Luxshare isn't a complete surprise, as the company already helps build iPhones, Apple Watch, and AirPods.

Four people familiar with Apple's plans also shared that Foxconn would be developing the cheaper second-generation headset in parallel. The supplier will focus on automating mass production and improving production rates to help lower costs.
The report continues to explain the cost of parts being ordered by Apple, with displays running $150 for each eye, versus the $60 cost for each iPhone display. This is, in part, why the headset is estimated to cost between $3,000 and $5,000 — an estimate shared before.

"Apple's first generation of AR devices will be extremely expensive, and really only can attract those passionate tech geeks or premium customers," an executive with knowledge of the development told Nikkei Asia. "But Apple hopes to push the price down in the second generation of devices, which is in parallel development, to a more affordable price, like a high-end Mac computer, and hopes to attract a bigger user base."

Still rumor from sources and methods, but from the looks of it Apple is ha ving their costly and cheaper headset in development at the same time across Foxxconn and Luxshare, after their deal with Megatron fell through.

If they are already putting both headsets in production that means there's a possibility that both headsets will release this year.

I believe because of this the rumor of Apple releasing their headset in June is unlikely, unless they can have some shipment of both headsets at once that early which I doubt. Most likely Apple will reveal both headsets and go over the features and software, and then announce a release date in Q4 where they can sell both headsets with an entry and pro model like they do with their phones.

Also, $150 per eye displays may be the most expensive lens yet, so whatever FOV and quality this headset will have is going to be beyond what we've seen so far most likely. That's $300 for full-display for each headset manufactured not including whatever other expensive parts and features the headset will have. I suspect the cheaper model will have something closer to what the PSVR2 has, either that or they keep the displays and cut elsewhere.

A dual launch with both subsidized could possibly be a game changer, if they have the right software.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/appl...opment-taken-over-by-chinese-supplier.761421/

Still rumor from sources and methods, but from the looks of it Apple is ha ving their costly and cheaper headset in development at the same time across Foxxconn and Luxshare, after their deal with Megatron fell through.

If they are already putting both headsets in production that means there's a possibility that both headsets will release this year.

I believe because of this the rumor of Apple releasing their headset in June is unlikely, unless they can have some shipment of both headsets at once that early which I doubt. Most likely Apple will reveal both headsets and go over the features and software, and then announce a release date in Q4 where they can sell both headsets with an entry and pro model like they do with their phones.

Also, $150 per eye displays may be the most expensive lens yet, so whatever FOV and quality this headset will have is going to be beyond what we've seen so far most likely. That's $300 for full-display for each headset manufactured not including whatever other expensive parts and features the headset will have. I suspect the cheaper model will have something closer to what the PSVR2 has, either that or they keep the displays and cut elsewhere.

A dual launch with both subsidized could possibly be a game changer, if they have the right software.

Honestly the eye panels are the most expensive parts, whats left, a M2 chip and some ram, some plastic and some lenses.
Apple probably salivating at the idea of 200% markup when they are done making thier $1000 cost headset............

Honestly the eye panels are the most expensive parts, whats left, a M2 chip and some ram, some plastic and some lenses.
Apple probably salivating at the idea of 200% markup when they are done making thier $1000 cost headset............

It's probably going to be Metal or something more advanced than standard plastic, and they apparently will have cameras, the external battery, the second display for the face stuff which is different than the displays in the headset, the motion detection for the motion controls, and M2 and other co-processors. Then they have to make hundreds of thousands of them.

Probably won't be $3000 as rumored but over $2000 doesn't seem that ridiculous to make a profit, any units sitting on shelves that were produced will be losing money immediately.

THE DUCK

It's probably going to be Metal or something more advanced than standard plastic, and they apparently will have cameras, the external battery, the second display for the face stuff which is different than the displays in the headset, the motion detection for the motion controls, and M2 and other co-processors. Then they have to make hundreds of thousands of them.

Probably won't be $3000 as rumored but over $2000 doesn't seem that ridiculous to make a profit, any units sitting on shelves that were produced will be losing money immediately.

Scary quiet in here, if apple makes a 2k dollar headset and expects it to sell well they are in for a surprise.......

Scary quiet in here, if apple makes a 2k dollar headset and expects it to sell well they are in for a surprise.......

A powerful headset that also has a cheaper version around the same time with the right software, and if both are subsidized? It can work pretty well.

The Question is if Apple can check all those boxes. Now we both could be wrong and sales of $2000+ headsets could sell on the logo.

But, I do believe if Apple decides to work with retailers and carriers for a subsidized option that's probably what's going to make or break the headset. Imo.

THE DUCK

A powerful headset that also has a cheaper version around the same time with the right software, and if both are subsidized? It can work pretty well.

The Question is if Apple can check all those boxes. Now we both could be wrong and sales of $2000+ headsets could sell on the logo.

But, I do believe if Apple decides to work with retailers and carriers for a subsidized option that's probably what's going to make or break the headset. Imo.

I dont doubt the logo will sell X amount of 2k headsets, just think the entire market is too small.

I agree a cheaper version could do something but it has to be a lot less.

Deerock71

Maybe they saw some red flags about boasting a 3K headset.
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

BeardGawd

Banned

They won't release at the same time. The article calls the other device a "2nd Generation device" so this device will be the better and cheaper follow up. They will start manufacuring on the 1st gen and at the same time start developing a cost reduced follow up.

Last edited:
They won't release at the same time. The article calls the other device a "2nd Generation device" so this device will be the better and cheaper follow up. They will start manufacuring on the 1st gen and at the same time start developing a cost reduced follow up.

Many people are claiming it's a 2nd-gen device because the journalists are repeating that talking point but the source chinese news they get this from say that they are going to be producing both headsets at the same time.

If the cheaper VR was coming out in 24-25 and not this year what would be the point of producing headsets this year at the same time as the main headset/?

I got a feeling at WWDC when they show off the headset, price, and features its going to be very different than what these people are trying to get us to believe. I also have doubts Apple wouldn't have multiple variations of the product available at launch given they have for every single one of their devices.

BeardGawd

Banned
Many people are claiming it's a 2nd-gen device because the journalists are repeating that talking point but the source chinese news they get this from say that they are going to be producing both headsets at the same time.

If the cheaper VR was coming out in 24-25 and not this year what would be the point of producing headsets this year at the same time as the main headset/?

I got a feeling at WWDC when they show off the headset, price, and features its going to be very different than what these people are trying to get us to believe. I also have doubts Apple wouldn't have multiple variations of the product available at launch given they have for every single one of their devices.

Development does not mean manufactured. In the article it states:

Four people familiar with Apple's plans also shared that Foxconn would be developing the cheaper second-generation headset in parallel. The supplier will focus on automating mass production and improving production rates to help lower costs.
so yes Foxconn is developing the cheaper version but that's going to take time so they are starting that process now. Later would be manufacturing I'm guessing to launch a year after the first.

Development does not mean manufactured. In the article it states:

so yes Foxconn is developing the cheaper version but that's going to take time so they are starting that process now. Later would be manufacturing I'm guessing to launch a year after the first.

Except there are other articles saying it's being manufactured and produced.

Again, different outlets are parroting contradicting talking points. The Chinese article they get this all from doesn't even say 2nd-generation.

Like I said, it's likely when the headset is revealed in June that it's going to be different than what these outlets have had people believe, and while it's not 100% whether or not both models will be released this year, it makes a lot more sense given this news.

There's already articles saying the cheaper headset will be 2024 and others saying 2025 based on some speculation by some armchairs that aren't even the source of where this production information came from, which is the only thing that's 100%. That both headsets have partners ready to produce.

Outside an Apple announcement, or major leak, we won't know the true answers until WWDC.

Last edited:

pasterpl

If it is around or less $3000 and it is really powerful with the right software I will get one day 1. I am very invested in Apple ecosystem, same with MS - I love seamless cross device experiences.

CobraAB

$300 for the displays. I know there is other stuff in it but $3k to 5k price does not compute.

I imagine it may very well be impressive but at that price, I dont get a shit how shiny that Apple logo is on it.

$300 for the displays. I know there is other stuff in it but $3k to 5k price does not compute.

I imagine it may very well be impressive but at that price, I dont get a shit how shiny that Apple logo is on it.

It's probably going to be less than $3000 more more than the $1200 high-end headsets we have now.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apples-cheaper-vrar-headset-already-in-development-says-new-report

It’s not surprising what happened. We all know Megatron is a Decepticon and Apple still fell for it.

Top Bottom