• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's XR Headset is now in production. Developer version in June, consumer version in September.

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-ar-vr-headset-apparently-in-production-03-03-2023/
The new Apple AR/VR headset is expected to be unveiled at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference in June, according to a recent report, the device is now in mass production.

We heard previously that this new AR device would be called the Apple Reality Pro, and the device is expected to retail for around $3,000.

According to a report by Digitimes, the Apple AR/VR Headset is being produced in partnership with Pegatron. Whilst the device is apparently in production, it is apparently limited production at the moment.

The new Apple Resality Pro device is rumored to be made official in June, although we are not expecting it to be available to everyone in June. The device could be made available to developers in some sort of developer version.

The consumer version of the device is expected to launch later this year, it may launch around the same time as the iPhone 15 which is expected in September.

Apple is also rumored to be working on their second generation AR device, which will apparently cost less than the new Apple Reality pro, although we are not expecting to see that device until 2024 or possibly later.

Starting production now 3 months before the reveal, and 6-7 months before mass launch means that they are likely expecting a decent sized shipment assuming they pick up production closer to September. March has only started recently so this is pretty early for a VR headset.

They also may want to throw this news out there as they look at the new comers and see what they do, allowing them to switch production quantity at will.

Of course, we won't know the selling potential of this thing until June at WWDC, where they show if this motion control thing will catch on, and whatever it's official price will be.

Comandr

Before everyone that waddles into this thread has the same fucking out of touch meltdown that they always do here are some prices of similar devices aimed at businesses and professionals.

YXcyia0.jpg
7IednIS.jpg

Apple has been working on and developing AR/VR for at least 6 years. A trillion dollar company that has made that on consumer products knows that their new product line won’t be a hit with the masses if it’s totally unaffordable. I expect a base consumer version to be 699-999 depending on how aggressive they want to get to build a user base.

Last edited:

calistan

Apple's giant global supplier network makes them as leaky as a sieve when it comes to products in development, but the guesstimates of pricing are never really that accurate, are they?

Goon_Bong

Any VR/AR device needs to get to the stage where wearing them feels as comfortable as looking at a screen for them to really hit mainstream. And they the big hitters like Alyx, regularly, to keep people engaged.

Buggy Loop

$3k was a previous estimation from their typical supply chain. Latest rumours is Apple went elsewhere in China to lower costs no? They might pocket the margin or lower the costs.

Not holding my breath on this headset though. If it brings something interesting to VR that others will copy to advance it, then fine.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Wouldn’t it be funny if the consumer version actually took off and launched a new era of VR that no one saw coming? I personally hope it does just so I can watch gaf rip itself apart.

I mean, they did it with mp3 players, phones, tablets, wireless earbuds, and smart watches.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them do it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom