• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your top 3 fighting games!

kingbean

Oh man. This is tough.

3rd Strike/Garou
Both of these games feel good to play and look amazing in motion. 3rd Strike being broken at the high end is unimportant to me, it's just a kick ass fighting game with a good OST and can still be fun for someone that only played SF2.

Garou is a perfect answer to 3rd strike by SNK in my opinion. Both have universal overheads and both look amazing. Garou sounds good and introduced the world to a new Terry Bogard, Wild Wolf and the not so great but very stylish Rock Howard. Easier imo for new players to play but lacks brand recognition of Street Fighter.

Capcom vs SNK 2
Great selection of characters. Awesome new sprites for SNK and a few new ones for capcom. Kick ass music and multiple gameplay styles. Only let down by its shit imo 3d backgrounds and that God awful morrigan sprite.

Guilty Gear XX accent core +r/Darkstalkers resurrection.
Guilty Gear rocks and while it might not be the best animated or easiest to follow it fits nicely imo between a street fighter style game and a hyper fighter. While Guilty Gear X on dreamcast was the best as far as impact and blood. I think the most recent version of the sprite based game is the most complete with a decently big cast of crazy characters.

Darkstalkers. Both 2 and 3 are amazing to look at. To me it feels like the near peak of cps2. To me these games are all style and it carries it far enough to make non fighting game fan friends of mine want to go back so they can use "Big assed Frankenstein".

Sorry, I cheated and listed 5 but depending on my mood those two spots change.

NoKisum

I've never been that good at fighters, but there's a few I've played that I've come to appreciate.

1) Super Smash Bros. 4
Simple to play, difficult to master. I'm nowhere near as good as pros, but the series has been one of the first few I've been able to wrap my head around.

2) Skullgirls
Hilarious entry considering my top pick, but there's so much love and care in the game that it's hard to ignore. The animations, the music, the characters, and let's not forget the actual attempt at a tutorial, something a lot of popular fighters fail to do.

3) Def Jam: Fight For NY
One of the first fighters I've played that had a cohesive story, years ahead of what we would currently see out of games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Not to mention the hip-hop aesthetic and the fusions of styles with a baseline wrestling system made the game a blast.

PaulBizkit

1. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)
2. Killer Instinct (SNES)
3. Soul Calibur 5 (PS3)

MK2 is just so good, I don't know why, but I find it more enjoyable and balanced than MK3.
KI is straight up fun, and SoulCalibur 5 is the quintessential "introduce gf to video games" game thanks to its graphics, colorful design and the character creation system.

3) Def Jam: Fight For NY
One of the first fighters I've played that had a cohesive story, years ahead of what we would currently see out of games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Not to mention the hip-hop aesthetic and the fusions of styles with a baseline wrestling system made the game a blast.

How could I forget that game!! went for the hip hop, stayed for the gameplay and the story

ornery

Kick it up a notch with maybe some reasons

1. First real fighting game I'd ever remember playing. Mostly nostalgia.
2. My first dip into NEOGEO. Had samurai's, swords, and blood. What else isnt there to like? Also, the music/sounds were fantastic
3. First fighting game where combo's came into play. Spent many a night trying to perfect TJ Combo's ultra combo. Good times were had.

B_Signal

I feel like I'm missing something I adored for number 3, but:

1. Garou Mark of the Wolves - regardless of it being one of my favourite games, it's my starting point for other fighters. I've now idea if it's actually perfectly balanced oral if it has as much nuance as I feel it does, but it's the fighting game I compare others to

2. Capcom vs SNK 2 - seems to get forgotten about, although someone here has already mentioned it, but it's the best VS game imo

3. Project Justice - as I said, I feel like I'm missing something obvious that I love, but this is the first game that sprung to mind

chemicals

StreetFighter Alpha 3
- I love the way they just threw every character in this one, and then actually gave them all stories. I have this on Dreamcast. Amazing fun.

Soul Calibur
- Okay I know, another Dreamcast game. But Soul Calibur was just a huge game for me and my friends. We would sit there all afternoon having tournaments. The gameplay just can't be beat. 2 and 3 and even 5 are all good, but the original game holds a special nostalgia for me.

Tekken 2
- My roommate in college had a Playstation and we would throw this game on hard mode and leave it running all day... Our buddies would come over and we would all try to beat Jun. Sometimes having tourneys as well. I had learned a few of the multiple hit combos for Lei (the cop) and my buddy mastered King.. He is slow as hell, but if he grabs you and starts a 10 hit combo? It's over.

Honorable Mention:
- Virtua Fighter 5

Bigwayne13

Neo Member
1) Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade)
2) Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition (Arcade)
3) Killer Instinct Gold (N64)

Honorable Mention:

Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Darkside (Sega CD)

1. Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram

2. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

3. Garou: Mark of the Wolves

This is always tough. VOOT remains my favorite, but after that it's always been a lot of very close, fluctuating choices. SF3 and Garou both feel like developers operating at their peak of technique during the golden age of fighting games. Beautiful art, memorable music, accessible but extremely deep gameplay, great characters. Both could have probably used another update or two, but I'm no pro so ultimately it doesn't matter that much that Q is kind of garbage or Garou has some infinite combos. I play the games and have lots of fun, even approaching two decades after their release.

Honorable mentions:
Soulcalibur 5
Skullgirls
Killer Instinct 3
Samurai Shodown 2
Blazblue Central Fiction
KOF2002
Dead or Alive pre-5

My list (as a super casual, single player only fighting game fan):

Super Street Fighter 2 X (Dreamcast) :
This is my preferred way to play SF2. I love absolutely everything about it. The pixel art, character designs and the gameplay is timeless. Oh and that soundtrack is GOAT.

Soul Cal III (PS2) :
I really love the single player component and wish that modern fighters would feature more content like this. Originally, I almost didn't pick this one up because of the drab cover artwork. But I'm glad that I did as there is an absolutely fantastic, weapon-focused fighting game within. My fave entry in the series.

Samurai Shodown II (NeoGEO) : I have great memories of playing this with a bunch of mates from highschool. We'd all sneak in pilot light igniters into the local arcade in Chinatown, crowd around the arcade cab so that the owners couldn't see what we were doing and 'spark' the pilot light igniters on the coin slot to get free credits and play all day. Heated rounds of SS2 and 8-player races of Daytona in the local arcades took up a lot of my weekends during highschool.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
1 i wanna take you for a ride
2 i wanna take you for a ride
3 i wanna take you for a ride

Narasaki

1.- Garou Mark of the Wolves
garou_mark_of_the_wolves_conceptart_GIY5I.jpg

2.- Kizuna Encounter
arte-clave-kizuna-encounter-super-tag-battle-cabecera.jpg

3.- Samurai Shodown V Special
Samurai_Shodown_V_Special_%28cover%29.jpg

Runner up: Real Bout Fatal Fury series
Real_Bout_Art_01_phixr.jpg

zenspider

Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Darkstalker 3
Virtual Fighter 2

One entry per series or it's be 3S, V, Alpha 2:/

1. Street Fighter 2. It was the game I fell in love with, when I was a kid.
The beautiful colorful graphics, the interesting characters, the special moves and combos (that I couldnt do, but admired), the in-game atmosphere and the atmosphere at the local cabinet and hanging out with friends and talking about various rumors (like Chun being able to throw her bracelets or those rocks on her stage, picking the boss characters etc). All these things contributed to the fun and mystique of the game.

2. DoA5. The gameplay is simple but fun. I always loved landing counters/parry moves in other games and DoA5 really puts an emphasis on that mechanic.
Plus, it still has the best looking girls in games.

3. Soul Calibur IV. I really liked SCV too, but I prefer IV because the counter system is better, I like the insta-kill mechanic (mainly for the cinematic visual) and it has Setsukas (the umbrella ladys) fighting style, which made for the best looking custom characters.
Its a real pity that this game had such terrible netcode.

JP

Bushido Blade
Tobal 2
Virtua Fighter 5 (Maybe 5, I'm not quite sure)

I'm sneaking Tekken 3 in here too because although it's not my usual style of fighting game I did spend absolutely hours playing the PS1 game with my family and loved it at the time.

Narasaki

Bushido Blade
Tobal 2

I'm sneaking Tekken 3 in here too because although it's not my usual style of fighting game I did spend absolutely hours playing the PS1 game with my family and loved it at the time.

You sir, are a true patrician.

Exquisite taste, especially on that Tobal 2 selection

You're a fine gentleman. May god bless your fighting days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2aK4BgE8c

53324-Tobal_2_(J)-4.jpg

Bushido Blade
Tobal 2

I forgot about Tobal 2. I've played it briefly in an emulator and it was fantastic. Was an unofficial English translation ever released for it? IIRC it was Japanese release only. I'd love to devote some serious time to it someday.

Basoes

1. guilty gear xx accent core plus R

2. melty blood actress again current code

3.Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Narasaki

I forgot about Tobal 2. I've played it briefly in an emulator and it was fantastic. Was an unofficial English translation ever released for it? IIRC it was Japanese release only. I'd love to devote some serious time to it someday.

Tobal N°2 is easily the best 3D fighter on the ps1. I like it better than Tekken 3 and just a bit more than Bushido Blade 2

This is how you put final fantasy cameo in your game, Harada you fool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd49rsbCiCY

JP

You sir, are a true patrician.

Exquisite taste, especially on that Tobal 2 selection

You're a fine gentleman. May god bless your fighting days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2aK4BgE8c

53324-Tobal_2_(J)-4.jpg
Ha, fighting games really aren't my favourite genre so it's generally been games that are a little different to the mainstream that I've enjoyed.

Bushido Blade was an absolutely incredible game that just made so much sense to me. I didn't get on as well with the second game because although they added new "stuff" to the game I don't think it really improved on anything that was already there for me.

It's similar with Tobal 2 although this time it was the first game that didn't really do a lot for me, the second game just blew me away though and it looked incredible as it ran in the high res mode and use Gouraud shading which looked ridiculously good.

I know it's not the same but in some ways Tobal 2 exists in the same ball park as Virtua Fighter. There's a certain elegance to the that runs through the three that I picked which means they make more sense to me for some reason.

I've only briefly tried it and it's a very different type of game but there is a touch of Bushido Blade in For Honor.

I've no idea, I'd be surprised if there wasn't but I've not played it since the PS1 days.

Narasaki

Ha, fighting games really aren't my favourite genre so it's generally been games that are a little different to the mainstream that I've enjoyed.

Bushido Blade was an absolutely incredible game that just made so much sense to me. I didn't get on as well with the second game because although they added new "stuff" to the game I don't think it really improved on anything that was already there for me.

It's similar with Tobal 2 although this time it was the first game that didn't really do a lot for me, the second game just blew me away though and it looked incredible as it ran in the high res mode and use Gouraud shading which looked ridiculously good.

I know it's not the same but in some ways Tobal 2 exists in the same ball park as Virtua Fighter. There's a certain elegance to the that runs through the three that I picked which means they make more sense to me for some reason.

I've only briefly tried it and it's a very different type of game but there is a touch of Bushido Blade in For Honor.

I've no idea, I'd be surprised if there wasn't but I've not played it since the PS1 days.

They're in fact multiple lenguages patches for Tobal N°2. You can even play it in spanish!

For Honor is like a bushido game directed by Michael Bay. The little that is good in that game is destroyed by the usual ubisoft-western bad taste, bombastic presentation, bad music and usual cinematic bullshit that's so bad that it only waste space on your hard drive

The only game that somewhat give me that old bushido blade fix is the second of the Kengo games, Kengo 2 or "Sword of the Samurai" as is called on pal regions. If you have a computer capable of running PCSX2 or live in pal regions, try to play that game.

You can modify the options so there is no health bar visible and off course you can kill in one strike. Also, you can bleed to death and push your oponent off a cliff and stuff like that. They're dozens of moves to learn, assasins missions, ilegal and legal tournaments and also a really "chill" vibe outside the combat. Your character just sit in his house as he admire the last sword you got and stuff like that. Good stuff

Some matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbuIUfr4gVk

rexpro

Neo Member
  1. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
  2. Capcom Vs SNK 2
  3. SkullGirls

regrettably Skullgirls is the best fighting game ever created that will never be played/praised

:/

Neff

1. Street Fighter III Third Strike
2. Street Fighter EX Plus α
3. This is really hard....
3. Capcom vs SNK

bobone

If Smash Bros counts then Melee is #1, otherwise

Street Fighter 2 CE on Genesis. Really loved that 6 button controller for Street Fighter

Soul Cailbur 2 on Gamecube

Tekken 3 on PS1

Top Bottom