• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your top 3 fighting games!

oliverandm

1) Tekken 7
2) Tekken 3
3) Dragon Ball FighterZ

Tekken trumps all for me. Just the sheer amount of memories... I lost interest after Tekken 5, and not because I thought 6 or Tag Tournament 2 was bad - I was just fatigued, I think. But man... My first game for PS1 was Tekken 2, and the PS1 was perhaps my first real console, although we had an NES (I just didn't bother, when I was that young).

Tekken 3 kind of sealed the deal. I couldn't move to other fighters. I tried so many, but all seemed inferior to me.

Tekken 7 ultimately brought back the passion for fighters, and I've explored some anew, like Injustice 2 and Dragon Ball FighterZ - the ladder definitely being one of my favorite, although I have no experience with other anime fighters and just always had a soft spot for Budokai games (which is why I picked it up. That, and I heard it was made for e-sports in mind, so I figured it had great mechanics and balanced fighters)

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Ah man, this is going to be hard. I'll probably be basing it on most memorable experiences instead. Anyway, here's mine:

1.) Marvel vs Capcom or Tatsunoko vs Capcom - I think this is unfair but it's from the same vs Capcom series. I love both, and spent dozens of hours/tokens playing.

2.) Street Fighter 4 Ultra - Art style took quite a while to get used to but the game played so well.

3.) Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Another arcade game that I spent so much time on. Love the art and animation.

Runner-ups:
Smash 64, Fighters Destiny (I miss this game so much), Soul Calibur series, and Samurai Showdown series.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is absolutely smashing, a breath of fresh air in a genre that is almost entirely composed of reanimated corpses. The Tatsunoko characters may be slightly obscure to your average person on the street, but it was a joy to see all these fascinating Japanese superheroes and cartoon characters bounding around.

The best thing about this game was the introduction of a "beginners" control scheme, where you can play with the Wii Remote sideways. You can easily execute all the special and super moves, which greatly opens up the game for most players. Expert players can continue to play the traditional way (with arcade joysticks, of course), and so everyone is happy. Most fighting games since the mid-1990s have been aimed almost exclusively towards tournament players, requiring ever-more complicated maneuvers to work the controls, and everybody else was just left in the dust. TvC shows how developers can bridge that gap and bring the masses back into the fold.

OH-MyCar

1. Street Fighter 2
2. Soul Edge/Blade
3. Darkstalkers

I don't know if those are my "favorite" today, but they're definitely the 3 that've wrecked my life the most in the past (I'm trying to get back into fighters with SF5 at the moment; the last I played was Tekken 5, casually).

What are the rules? If this includes arcade then Street Fighter II Championship Edition and Killer Instinct. If its limited to consoles then the original Smash Bros 64. Either way, those three games will forever be my GOAT fighting games.

Osukaa

Damn... Tough one...

1: Tekken 3
2: Smash Bros Melee/Brawl (Tie)
3: Soul Edge/Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (Tie)

I know its a total of 5 games but I couldn't leave any out... also the list may vary depending on my mood lol .

Muchacho

Damn 3 is impossible. I do my best.

Soul Calibur / Soul Edge tie
King of Fighters 98
Mortal Kombat

A few more favs

Guilty Gear XX
Last Blade 1/2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Real Bout 2
Art of Fighting 2
Power Instinct Matrimelee
Samurai Shodown IV
Dead or Alive
Hokuto No Ken (PS2)

Petrae

1. Street Fighter Alpha 3
2. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
3. TMNT Tournament Fighters

I spent countless hours on Alpha 3, either via coin-op or several different console conversions. I readily admit to only playing as a handful of different characters, instead of learning quite a few. Akuma is my main. The home-exclusive World Tour mode is still a blast to play through every now and again.

I loved Arika’s original take on Street Fighter. The music is a standout, but I also spent hours trying to perfect moves and combos so that I could unlock the extra characters. Being able to transition from one super move into another is pretty cool, too.

TMNT Tournament Fighters is probably an odd choice, but I played the heck out of it on the Super NES when it was new. The control scheme felt comfortably familiar, and fighting as my favorite Turtle was awesome. As with most Konami games at the time, the visuals and sound were awesome (and still hold up today, IMO).

TacosNSalsa

1.The King of Fighters '98 - Loved the cast of characters even though it was unbalanced as all hell it was insane fun to play..

2. Super Street Fighter IV - I really liked the execution of the game... a lot of people gave it crap because of the 1 frame links but I enjoyed them...also E.Ryu

3.Samurai Showdown IV-SSSOOOGGGEEETTTSUUU!!!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was thinking about how JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle got a perfect score from Famitsu. I own it and it's a lot of fun, but it's not really talked about.

Melty Blood is another title I never got. I can't even count how many times I almost imported it. I wondered why it was such a cult classic. I only heard about how broken certain games were because there were videos of infinite loops and broken mechanics online. But it doesn't mean it's bad to be broken.

I did play Bloody Roar for a while. The dash mechanic is what I heard really made it unique. But wasn't that implemented later on. I figure if we are talking about favorites that these might have been explained.

I wasn't aware of Virtua Fighter's complex system until 4 and you could fight against real player AI, which is awesome to this day.

Last edited:

badjab326

Neo Member
1. TTT2
A perfect love letter to Tekken fans that didn't get nearly enough support. Free DLC, every legacy character needed, 4-player modes, classic music and endings, and tons of beautifully crafted tag move animations.

2. SF3: 3rd Strike
A big bold step from Capcom, with unique character designs, the best 2D animation of all time (imo) and incredibly hype gameplay. My only issue with this game is that the backgrounds and music from New Generation and 2nd Impact were better. SFA3:Max and SFV almost tied with this game.

3. MvC1 (Dreamcast)
This game seemed too perfect the first time I played it, great roster, awesome and exciting gameplay, beautiful stages and the best music in the series. Dreamcast version gets a big boost for having 4-player mode as well.

Runner-up
MK9
The game that got me to seriously learn fighting games. Packed with content, perfected the story mode formula and the roster of any classic MK fan's dreams. Only reason it didn't make top 3 is because going back to it feels a little too clunky, but Tag mode makes it almost worth it.

Top Bottom