• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump taps Kushner to lead a "SWAT team" to fix government with business ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A partial list of what Kushner has been tapped to do during this administration, according to the article:

• driving foreign policy
  • driving domestic policy
  • driving decisions on presidential personnel
  • serving as Trump’s lead adviser on relations with China, Mexico, and Canada
  • bringing peace to the Middle East
  • reimagining Veterans Affairs
  • modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency
  • remodeling workforce-training programs
  • providing broadband Internet service to every American
  • stopping opioid abuse
Easy-peasy. Should take no more than 6 months.

Isn't that basically...everything? Trump really is a part-time president. He basically wants to come in once a week to sign executive orders and that's it.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
God, I think I hate Kushner and Ivanka more than Trump.

At least you know immediately what you're getting with Trump as soon as he walks through the door. Meanwhile, Ivanka and Kushner are capitalist drones in people-suits. I can easily see them bamboozle middle America again.

35mvw3.jpg

Ishan

So kushner is magicman now ?

I guess given now much he likes ivanka he has to have a great opinion of who she chose as her husband .... Cause Jesus that's basically 70-80 + of his agenda / possible things he would direct in govt ...

Man that department has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies? sounds more like he is running Government than Trump! but then I suppose that is Trumps style, he is an ideas man and gives instructions to others to get things done - basically he is a boss and not a leader and a terrible boss at that since he only likes yes men and brown nosers

I guess he planned to drain the swamp by concreting it over with crap

I like how he went from "we have the very best people in the world" during his campaign to "ah, fuck it, politics is too complicated, I'll let my son in law figure it out".

Jared Kushner, a portrait in wealthy white guy meritocracy.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Also wasn't Trump literally mad at Kushner like one day ago for purportedly skipping DC for a skiing trip during the middle of the health care debacle? Now he wants to hand him all the responsibilities of the presidency?

besada

Banned
So he's basically handing off his job to Kushner, rather than Pence. It would be hilarious if it weren't so fucked up and likely illegal.

SteveWD40

I still can't believe anyone is able to walk in and get a job in the executive branch without any qualifications. It's absolutely ridiculous that people like Bannon, Kushner, and Ivanka don't have to go through confirmations hearings like other members in government do.

Seriously, what's stopping Trump from picking some random homeless man from the streets and making him one of his advisors?

Mad isn't it? You have to be elected to congress / senate and you only get one vote in the house, you have to be a judge to get on the judiciary, but as long as the president likes you any dickhead can hold power in the executive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't realise America had inaugurated President Kushner.

It's a bold move cotton let's see if it works out for them.

So honest question:
What could such an office actually do, other than be a glorified thinktank?

Because unless I'm mistaken, granting it any actual powers of governance would require approval by congress, no?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
you have to be a judge to get on the judiciary

Being a lawyer isn't even a requirement for SCOTUS, let alone being a judge.
Forty people have become justices without any experience as judges.

Having worked for dutch goverment for the past 7 years; trying a business aproach to goverment issues almost never works. Goverment is driven by different goals than profit, so incentivizing profit does not reach goverment goals.

What exactly is Trumps role in government at this point, besides being a speaker at rallies?

What does he actually intend to DO?

Having worked for dutch goverment for the past 7 years; trying a business aproach to goverment issues almost never works. Goverment is driven by different goals than profit, so incentivizing profit does not reach goverment goals.

Also, parts of a business can fail no problem as long as the overall goal of profit growth is maintained. Nobody really cares about a brand fading or a product launch misfiring, as long as the income stream guarantees continuity of buisiness.

The government can't have a parts of it fail - housing is as big a deal as military defense or education. You can't cut just 'cost centers' and focus on 'profit centers' when you're the foundation of a national society.

This is the ultimate expression of free market worship, putting CEOs at the levers of national power. It's insanity.

A partial list of what Kushner has been tapped to do during this administration, according to the article:

• driving foreign policy
  • driving domestic policy
  • driving decisions on presidential personnel
  • serving as Trump’s lead adviser on relations with China, Mexico, and Canada
  • bringing peace to the Middle East
  • reimagining Veterans Affairs
  • modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency
  • remodeling workforce-training programs
  • providing broadband Internet service to every American
  • stopping opioid abuse
Easy-peasy. Should take no more than 6 months.

Lmao, ok this should be fun.

And when this fails another game of finger the scapegoat will be played by donnie

M3d10n

I thought the whole point of being conservative was to favor organic, gradual change over large, sudden and experimental ones?

I thought the whole point of being conservative was to favor organic, gradual change over large, sudden and experimental ones?

Trump and company are Republicans (or at least they used the Republican body as a host organism for their parasite). Conservatism has nothing to do with it.

And besides, the GOP have been political radicals for years now.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Didn't Christie put Kushner's dad in jail back when he was attorney General or whatever?

Also, Kushner was a lifelong Democrat donor and voter before his daddy-in-law ran for president. An exorbitantly wealthy real estate investor from New York who was a democratic donor is now pulling the strings for the God emperor. And we liberals were the ones getting 'cucked'...

slit

He's still not getting it through his thick head. The government does not run like a boardroom! People who voted for him don't seem to understand that either. I'm glad though because it means he will continue to fail.

Mindwipe

“We should have excellence in government,” Kushner said Sunday in an interview in his West Wing office. “The government should be run like a great American company. Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens.”

Like not paying invoices for contractors?

Kushner’s ambitions for what the new office can achieve are grand. At least to start, the team plans to focus its attention on reimagining Veterans Affairs; modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency; remodeling workforce-training programs; and developing “transformative projects” under the banner of Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan, such as providing broadband Internet service to every American.

In some cases, the office could direct that government functions be privatized, or that existing contracts be awarded to new bidders.

So... Trump has put his son-in-law in charge of going to other federal agencies and demanding cheaper IT solutions, which, inevitably, used to be expensive because of the security requirements.

So Trump is sending his son-in-law to make it easier for the Russians to hack key US departments.

God, I think I hate Kushner and Ivanka more than Trump.

At least you know immediately what you're getting with Trump as soon as he walks through the door. Meanwhile, Ivanka and Kushner are capitalist drones in people-suits. I can easily see them bamboozle middle America again.

I can't hate Kushner or Ivanka more than Trump because apparently they were the reason why the LGBT order reversing rights in the work place wasn't pushed through. They are both for LGBT rights and wanted that message to come across from Trump's administration.

While I don't believe Trump gives a flying fuck what happens to me or my community, or anyone, other than his rich friends, I'm glad someone in the administration was looking out for my rights. Because everyone else is crazy as fuck and wants to deny me rights as a human being.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I bet Donny dumped that on Kushner on Friday, and expected it to be done by Monday.

Probably even has a good talking to lined up for him if he doesn't, too.

RPGCrazied

Which is hilarious, because this guy has 0 experience in these area's. This should go really smoothly. /s This is like letting someone be a brain surgeon without attending medical school.

"Run Govt Like A Business" is conservative orthodoxy. This is exactly what his voters wanted.

Just wait until they're all "fired".

My sense in this is that they're going to find a way to crush the shit out of job security, or drive down "costs" by squeezing the pay/benefits of federal employees. This will have the effect of keeping talent out, which opens the doors for automation of lots of roles once those employees retire/are let go.

Short term, they'll make life miserable. Long term, it would be harder to dismantle. All of this is just speculation on my part, of course. I'm not a mind reader, but the administration is giving off signals that are brighter than a 4th of July fireworks show.

"Run Govt Like A Business" is conservative orthodoxy. This is exactly what his voters wanted.

The problem is the only people who benefit are the people who run the business.

His voters just wanted to fuck Washington up, they know he's a liar, corrupt, incompetent. They don't care. As long as normal politicians are panicking they are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom