• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect now recognizes upper torso while sitting. Lower torso, not so much.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Rhindle said:
Well, as of right now, all the games being demoed require that you be standing BY DESIGN.

Almost all games require leg movement - and even where that's not the case, all the demos I tried require a full range of vertical motion for your arms, which you wouldn't be able to get sitting down (unless maybe you're balanced on the edge of your seat).

So by definition, for everything out there today you need to be standing up. Does that mean that the system is incapable of detecting arm movements while seated? I guess we don't know - but I can see how that might create more room for error. We do know that Kinect can track your facial position when seated - that was demoed in the video chat session in the press conference.
I can't believe how many gullible people thought that was not pre-recorded just like Every other "demo" they showed.

Didn't you find it strange that last year they had more on stage demo errors than one can count and this year everything went PERFECTLY? On stage demos don't go that perfectly with regular two handed controllers let alone new motion technologies.

Get out of the bottom of Plato's Cave people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Shaheed79 said:
I can't believe how many gullible people thought that was not pre-recorded just like Every other "demo" they showed.

Didn't you find it strange that last year they had more on stage demo errors than one can count and this year everything went PERFECTLY? On stage demos don't go that perfectly with regular two handed controllers let alone new motion technologies.

I thought it was real at first too, until posters here on GAF said that it had to be fake. I was wondering why the video clarity was so so clear.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I can understand this, not sure what the fuss is about.

lost money? No fucking way I'm buying it now :lol

Rhindle

Shaheed79 said:

Regardless of whether or not it was prerecorded, everything else they demoed was playable software. If they were going to throw in a faked feature, I don't know why they would have picked that one, of all things.

Cynar

akachan ningen said:
There was a point where she was standing still and her character jumped. :|

you seemed to have missed the massive wave that would've sent the craft high anyway

sangreal

Shaheed79 said:

I think you're out of your mind if you think the incredibly awkward people they threw on stage could get their timing down well enough to fake a live demo. Especially that video chat demo where one stuttered word or the slightest bit off script would expose the whole thing as fake.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm reading conflicting reports here. Microsoft said they have been working on this technology for many years. But I also read they purchased the company that made the tech about 2 years ago (that same company shopped the tech to Sony and Nintendo but they turned it down).

So what's the real history behind Natal/Kinect? Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

expy

Banned
There's probably a reason why they're targeting the casual market... It's because they probably wouldn't notice that it doesn't work.

expy said:
There's probably a reason why they're targeting the casual market... It's because they probably wouldn't notice that it doesn't work.

They aren't too picky...

1164641-old_people_playing_wii_4913_1235677712_10_super.jpg

soco

Vizion28 said:
I'm reading conflicting reports here. Microsoft said they have been working on this technology for many years. But I also read they purchased the company that made the tech about 2 years ago (that same company shopped the tech to Sony and Nintendo but they turned it down).

So what's the real history behind Natal/Kinect? Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

the company they purchased (3DV) seems to have almost been a red herring of sorts, from what i've read. maybe they got some of the software from there? maybe it was for patents? maybe it was to prevent lawsuits?

the hardware for Natal largely comes from another company (PrimeSense).

the software is anyone's guess. they've been working on it at least two years, and it's probably been longer. there's software algorithms out there that can achieve some of this, but it falls short in so many scenarios. tracking the skeleton of multiple people at once in many poses that a single camera can't see, is incredibly complicated.

it's not gonna work perfect in some scenarios, but that doesn't matter much, neither will Move or the Wii. so long as people can adjust to make it work, they'll tolerate it, so long as it isn't too annoying.

Alx

Shaheed79 said:

I don't know if the video chat was faked or not, but it wasn't really necessary to fake it : tracking people's face is not a new revolutionary feature, all motorized webcams do it (google Logitech Sphere, for example).

Shaheed79 said:

Some of the demos did have small glitches (the guy showing the "Adventures" games had small difficulties to start it at once), so not everything was pre-recorded. Actually most demos taking snapshots of the user would have been too difficult to fake, so I think that those were legit (even if they are in the "easy" category).

J-Rzez

This is going to set off a chain reaction of worries now. Can't sit while playing, well it's the couch throwing it off, it's the color of your clothing compared to the couch, it's the materials of the surfaces, it's the color of the room, maybe it's the lighting, it's you sinking too far into the couch, what about wheelchairs, what about people missing some limbs? In the sitting demo's the person seems to usually have to raise their hands above their shoulders to move the menus (i may have missed one where you didn't), maybe that's to help it recognize something's going on.

I don't envy Microsoft's position one bit. They flat out lied about the shoddy console hardware despite the incredible number of people with problems, it's going to come back to haunt them here, how can you trust them with this? And now this is going to get people even more worried about their QA-testing, as they certainly threw it out the window when racing to the market before the others as they thought that was their only chance to be successful.

This has to be tough on the media too that their darling from last year is having problems with it's tech and MS doesn't have the software "expected" via "Milo". MS will want to forget this E3 real fast.

And here I laughed my ass off when Sony originally demo'd SOCOM 4 with the dev playing sitting slouched in a chair barely moving their hand. :lol

Spookie

amtentori said:
no standing, no core games.

Wii,Move>kinect by far then.

Kinect is a party toy.

Frightfully expensive party toy I'd imagine.

I was looking to get one so I can be a lazy shit and scream "XBOX TURN ON" then wave about to navigate the menus (if the price is right). But if I can't use it sitting down. :/

It's obvious that the technology will work if you sit. Even Eyetoy tracked your hands when you are sit.

But is possible that some developers don't test his games/apps to work while you are sit. For example, a game that uses only the hands but doesn't work correctly because it interprets that you are croaching, instead of sitting. But that's developer fault, not technology fault.

El-Suave

I don't get why sitting down is supposedly so much of an issue - the Kinectimals girl was lying down and the Forza dude was kneeling and looked at the car while doing so. Maybe those two presentations were faked though.
It would be acceptable at this stage that Kinect needs to calibrate you once while standing when you start it, but if it can't keep track while you sit down, it really would be pretty useless.

My general impression is that Kinect is still not ready for prime time so close to launch and it's not much more advanced than it was a year ago, in some areas they scaled it back already.

Brofist

PC gamers can now let out a sigh of relief, someone else will be on the other end of the comfy couch arguement.

Spookie

JaggedSac said:
So this wasn't busted by Greenberg and Stepto?

Greenberg flat out denies.

"Yes you can sit or stand with Kinect, depends on the game or experience."

Stepto is mincing his words.

"Guys, we're still developing Kinect. I've no idea what ign wrote and am not contradicting. Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down."

Both can sound like open statements depending on how you read them.

Even they managed to work out the bugs so that it tracks when you are sitting, I wonder how it will work in a dark room. I.e. a typical moving watching setting.

Raist

Banned
But...

2lk8kcg.jpg

Seriously, that would be a major mess up. I kind of doubt it, but given Kinect's track record performances-wise so far...

Spookie said:
Greenberg flat out denies.

"Yes you can sit or stand with Kinect, depends on the game or experience."

Stepto is mincing his words.

"Guys, we're still developing Kinect. I've no idea what ign wrote and am not contradicting. Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down."

Both can sound like open statements depending on how you read them.

Greenberg's statement is not a flat out denial. If it were this would have died by now. Stepto's is even more ambiguous.

pr0cs said:
Doesn't seem like there is a lot to discuss. Greenberg isn't going to lie about something as critical as this.

You're right. Developers making games for Kinect and journalists testing it have EVERYTHING to gain by lying about it!

Do I need to tell you I'm rolling my eyes right now?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think stepto's is kind of reassuring. If he means motiony stuff with menus in general works when sitting, then that's fine and dandy.

This picture's funny in hindsight though. If the camera is over along their line of sight, it wouldn't be able to make out what the mom is doing at all. Don't sit in front of other people playing kinect :p

Honestly, though, if microsoft removed the über-chip from kinect (not sure what the chip was), isn't it all down to software now? And if the camera is able to detect depth and motion, I don't see how this is an issue. I mean, IGN heard it from developers, so maybe it's just some developers fumbling with the SDK instead of a real issue? Kind of like when madden first came out for PS3 and was running at 30fps, no?

J-Rzez said:
I don't envy Microsoft's position one bit. They flat out lied about the shoddy console hardware despite the incredible number of people with problems, it's going to come back to haunt them here, how can you trust them with this? And now this is going to get people even more worried about their QA-testing, as they certainly threw it out the window when racing to the market before the others as they thought that was their only chance to be successful.

Eh, if people are quick enough to forget the whole RRoD fiasco and ready to jump at the change to pay for microsoft's hardware revision, I don't see how this thing won't sell well enough at least the first months. If it is truly an issue, then microsoft will offer 1 free year of XBL subs as an apology, or extend the warranty on kinect for three years or something while they fix the issues with a firmware update or something.
Saint Gregory said:
Wait, what? Aren't there any Kinect kiosks out on the showfloor of Microsoft's booth for people to try?
Huh, I'm not sure. I haven't read any reports about them being on the show floor and though they were all behind doors, but if they're being publicly shown, then I retract my statement. :) thanks for bringing that up.

jorma

is now taking requests
But is it really reasonable to think it's true? Who in their right mind would give the go ahead to dedicate not one but two E3 pressers on Kinect if this was in any way a concern? It just sounds too crazy.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What most people seem to be forgetting is that usability isn't a binary thing.

Natal/Kinect definitely "works", but what does that really mean in the real-world for both developers and users?

Is it more or less efficient than existing solutions? Is it more "fun" or simply more physically demanding? The key thing this evaluation needs to be made for every posture and situation the player puts themselves in before the camera.

How do you QA this? What if the particular mechanic works well stood up, but not so good sat down? Do you keep working on the hard-to-fix "sit down" case, or simply instruct the player that they need to stand up for this action?

There's no way to legislate what people are going to do, so they'll most likely focus on a certain response, prescribe it in the manual/tutorial, and just shrug when users glitch or game the system by doing something different.

Because they can say, "if you do it the right way, this'll work perfectly".

sangreal

DeaconKnowledge said:
Greenberg's statement is not a flat out denial. If it were this would have died by now. Stepto's is even more ambiguous.

Greenberg's statement was certainly a flat out denial. It hasn't died down because people are feeding on any bad Kinect news they can find. Stepto's comment was far less comforting though, unless you buy that he didn't read what IGN wrote before commenting.

Ninja-Matic said:
You're right. Developers making games for Kinect and journalists testing it have EVERYTHING to gain by lying about it!

Do I need to tell you I'm rolling my eyes right now?

Uh, what journalist do you think tested it sitting? As far as developers, IGNs own article says they they've heard both stories from developers.

FunkyPajamas said:
Huh, I'm not sure. I haven't read any reports about them being on the show floor and though they were all behind doors, but if they're being publicly shown, then I retract my statement. :) thanks for bringing that up.

They are on the show floor, and there are plenty of impressions out there if you go look. They are fairly positive though, so you won't find them posted

TheOddOne

jorma said:
But is it really reasonable to think it's true? Who in their right mind would give the go ahead to dedicate not one but two E3 pressers on Kinect if this was in any way a concern? It just sounds too crazy.
You saw two? Well I only saw one.

has anyone mentioned playing games in the dark? not just for horror games but in the same sense that you would draw your curtains and switch off your lights for a movie...

Top Bottom