• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect now recognizes upper torso while sitting. Lower torso, not so much.

Ignis Fatuus said:
I didn't think it was possible to say two opposite things at the same time but there you are.

See? You have

Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down. :)

Directly from somebody ... and YOU are the one trying to spin it ... I mean what are the 2 things he's saying? They aren't contradicting.

1) Still in development
2) Doesn't know what IGN dude saw and didn't want to contradict him

and this is the most important

3) Just saying, ive used menus sitting. Calm down. :)

Zophar said:
That's a good point, thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten that they had to strip down all of the added horsepower Natal was supposed to bring to the table. I have to wonder if the functionality problems we're seeing is because they've had to make concessions around minimizing Kinect's footprint in the 360 hardware?

It's entirely possible. And, as that twitter post illustrated, it's still a work-in-progress. They probably demonstrated the device while standing because this gives the most stable performance at this point in it's development. Then again, we're pretty close to it's release!

flyinpiranha said:
See? You have

Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down. :)

Directly from somebody ... and YOU are the one trying to spin it ...
His job is to sell his product. I'm starting to think it's yours as well.

I'm not the one ignoring the first half of his post.

Flyguy

It's reassuring that they're still working on it. Sure they've been working on it for a couple years now, but I'm confident they'll have an 11th hour breakthrough prior to launch that will enable the ability to sit whilst gaming.

flyinpiranha said:
I'm not really sure to be honest. It seems they already have us, we buy their games, we buy their systems. They won't make the big money off the peripheral, it's off the software ... and most of the 360 'core' wouldn't buy anything that has been showed or where they want to take this thing. For the most part most of the 'core' was just waiting for some cool niche thing for it to do so we could go "neat" then it would collect dust.

We aren't their demographic, and that's what is pissing people off so much.

But that's what I'm saying. Making a peripheral for a console five years into it's life that targets mainly people that don't own that console is just crazy.

I mean 5 years in releasing a game for people that don't already own the console in question would be pretty risky.

Stephen Toulouse from MS wrote on his twitter:

"Guys, we're still developing Kinect. I've no idea what ign wrote and am not contradicting. Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down. :)"

I don't doubt that this is true. But it doesn't really mean that their can't be problems.

Odds on, instead of getting black people to demo it next time we see it... they'll have a bunch of people sat down demoing it (possibly a mix of all ethnicities).

Ignis Fatuus said:
His job is to sell his product. I'm starting to think it's yours as well.

I'm not the one ignoring the first half of his post.

Hey, I'm just as disappointed as most as I had hope for it. But you are just knocking every positive view and only focusing on the negative ones.

And I did read his post ... what am I missing? The part where he says it's still in development (true) or the part where he had no idea what IGN was saying and didn't want to contradict whatever they were saying?

And I noticed you ignored the last part where he said he's used menus sitting.

Definity

punkypine said:
so i just read that the new 360 has a "kinect port"

does that mean that old 360s wont be able to use it?
Old 360's work fine with it, but kinect will need a separate power supply on the old 360's. The new 360's (slim) can power/connect the kinect with one cable.

flyinpiranha said:
I mean what are the 2 things he's saying? They aren't contradicting.

1) Still in development
2) Doesn't know what IGN dude saw and didn't want to contradict him

and this is the most important

3) Just saying, ive used menus sitting. Calm down. :)
I usually don't respond to failed ninja edits but I'll point out the obvious. It is beyond belief that he does not know what IGN has written--he is responding to tweets that are telling him exactly that. His refusal to contradict IGN means that IGN is more correct than he is comfortable admitting. His third statement is that he has used menus while sitting, which seems like a very deliberate word choice.

If there is anything positive to glean from that statement it is his promise that they're still working on it.

Again, if IGN was wrong they would say so. To think otherwise is naive.

mildewproduction

drake-wheelchair.jpg

There is no way when this thing ships it will require people to sit down for the menus, I'm sure kinks are still being worked out. I'll never buy this regardless anyway

Definity

Ignis Fatuus said:
I usually don't respond to failed ninja edits but I'll point out the obvious. It is beyond belief that he does not know what IGN has written--he is responding to tweets that are telling him exactly that. His refusal to contradict IGN means that IGN is more correct than he is comfortable admitting. His third statement is that he has used menus while sitting, which seems like a very deliberate word choice.

If there is anything positive to glean from that statement it is his promise that they're still working on it.

Have you ever watched that show "Lie to Me" on Fox? You should apply for a job there. :lol

Ignis Fatuus said:

Damn fine, logical post.

I'll never understand why people would want to navigate their dashboards or control their movies with hand gestures. Using a controller is so much easier and less labor intensive.

Vhalyar

Trent Strong said:
I'll never understand why people would want to navigate their dashboards or control their movies with hand gestures. Using a controller is so much easier and less labor intensive.

Once the novelty wears off I'm sure of the "but it's like Minority Report!!11" people will go back to the traditional controller for menus :lol

Ignis Fatuus said:

It wasn't a 'ninja edit' ... I just had more things to type that came to mind that didn't require a new post.

But alas, you seem to think it's a hidden PR agenda and I think it's just in the works and it might be an issue but it seems fixable. All these people are still at the show, busy as hell or typing up things, interviews, God knows ...

IGN hasn't had a chance to test it while sitting have they? How has no developer come out and said this yet? Why is some heresy blog post by IGN (reputable right? GAF loves them?) taken as concrete evidence over the people working on it that are posting about the issue?

I take both things with a grain of salt. Do I think there are issues? Sure. Do I think they will be ironed out? Most likely. It's not some PR coverup and agenda. If you can't, they'd come out and say they can't right? According to your logic. But if it's still being worked on you'd think somebody would make a comment about the tech still being in development.

Nif

Ignis Fatuus said:

But IGN's point was that you cannot use menus while sitting, which he refutes in that last sentance. Everyone knows you would need to stand to play their games, and that's not what people were getting upset about.

But they're lying because ...

CoG

Ignis Fatuus said:

Well, if we want to over-analyze and scrutinize, saying "XBox: Netfix" could be considered "using menus while sitting down". He didn't explicitly say he was using gestures.

Speevy

Banned
It seems that whenever a feature becomes popular or necessary, the three companies each devise their own take on it, some of which are considered "copycat" while others are unique.

Examples include a video service and how that's delivered to users, an online marketplace for gaming content, or even a custom GPU.

Sometimes it seems more prudent for the companies to offer a similar service, while other times it's like they're grabbing technology from a hat and being forced to run with it.

It would appear that Natal offers the most unique experience that, when done correctly, will really differentiate from the Wii and PS3 solutions.

However, this product needs to be successful in a big hurry if it's going to become successful at all, and barriers such as the no sitting thing should really be ironed out before launch.

Medalion

Banned
Vhalyar said:
Once the novelty wears off I'm sure of the "but it's like Minority Report!!11" people will go back to the traditional controller for menus :lol
Even in minority report, they had to wear special motion tracking gloves... so Kinect more teh advanced :lol

Nif said:
Everyone knows you would need to stand to play their games, and that's not what people were getting upset about.
You should probably re-read the thread.

flyinpiranha said:
Do I think there are issues? Sure. Do I think they will be ironed out? Most likely.
I can agree with this. The most likely scenario is that the software is a work in progress and was simply not ready, but they're confident enough that they can fix it that they're sticking to their release date. Going into retail with this issue intact would be financial suicide.

flyinpiranha said:
It's not some PR coverup and agenda.
No, see, that's exactly what it is. They got caught with their pants down and are performing what is commonly known as damage control.

gcubed

Trent Strong said:
It's already been tried and failed on tvs because no one wants to use gestures when they can simply push a button to do it faster and easier

Nif

Ignis Fatuus said:
You should probably re-read the thread.

Maybe you should point out what I missed. The thread is about menu navigation. IGN were upset that you cannot use menus for things like movies while sitting on the couch.

Speevy said:
However, this product needs to be successful in a big hurry if it's going to become successful at all, and barriers such as the no sitting thing should really be ironed out in the alpha stages.

Fixed. This should never have stayed a problem so long that the press experienced it, or quite frankly, this close to launch.

if it's TRUE that sitting currently confuses kinect, and it's still "a work in progress", then that doesn't bode well for any "sitting down" games like racing. if they're going to get their games developed and pushed out for november they don't have a whole lot to work with if it won't even detect their gestures while sitting...

Nif said:
Maybe you should point out what I missed. The thread is about menu navigation. IGN were upset that you cannot use menus for things like movies while sitting on the couch.
No, I'm not going to Cliffnotes it for you. I have nothing to prove. Everyone who has actually read the thread knows what you've missed.

CoG said:
Well, if we want to over-analyze and scrutinize, saying "XBox: Netfix" could be considered "using menus while sitting down". He didn't explicitly say he was using gestures.
Exactly what I was thinking. It would extremely easy to put this really damaging rumor to bed yet all we're getting is doublespeak. The demos did seem to be improved from the last showing so they could have this fixed in time but clearly something's wrong right now.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Fixed. This should never have stayed a problem so long that the press experienced it, or quite frankly, this close to launch.

Well, it is still just heresay because the direct quote we are talking about in question is:

According to Microsoft, you can play some Kinect games sitting down. It "varies" by experience. However, several developers giving us demos have said the exact opposite. Sometimes the contradiction comes from the same person--one day telling us you have to be standing and then the next saying everything can be done while sitting.

Which is true? We don't know for certain, as we have not had the opportunity to play anything seated. Suffice to say, if you have to stand for every game (or for menu navigation), that's a big problem. This remains a concern until we ourselves can test out Kinect from our rear. .

I'm curious if the Netflix/Zune menu navigation stuff is up for demo? Has that actually been tested or are they talking about having to stand in games that require standing?

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I no longer visit IGN is because their articles are just meant to stir shit up. And I think this is one of those. Some of those reasons are legitimate (if you read the whole write up) but he just throws this in at the end with no explanation. Can you not use menus in the games while sitting because it requires you to be closer or what? In what game was he demo'n that he was told this information? From who? You'd think with something as huge as not being able to use it from your couch they'd have more than a little blurb.

There is a chance that they are playing damage control, and there is a chance that they are just being completely vague as they aren't sure what is going to be final when it releases.

Einbroch

Banned
mildewproduction said:
Whoa! FINALLY connected the dots. The kid from Degrassi is Drake the artist.

Completely off topic, but it blew my mind because I knew I had seen Drake from somewhere but couldn't place him.

Jtrizzy

To me, the real issue is Forza. I was really hoping Natal would be implemented into core games, but I guess that isn't happening.

LM4sure

Banned
Medalion said:
I know when I drive, I always stand up... sunroofs and Segway ftw

:lol First thing I thought of when I saw the thread. You should not have to stand to play every game. THat's just dumb. And if you have to stand to use menus...this will be classic.

flyinpiranha said:
Well, it is still just heresay because the direct quote we are talking about in question is:

I'm curious if the Netflix/Zune menu navigation stuff is up for demo? Has that actually been tested or are they talking about having to stand in games that require standing?

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I no longer visit IGN is because their articles are just meant to stir shit up. And I think this is one of those. Some of those reasons are legitimate (if you read the whole write up) but he just throws this in at the end with no explanation. Can you not use menus in the games while sitting because it requires you to be closer or what? In what game was he demo'n that he was told this information? From who? You'd think with something as huge as not being able to use it from your couch they'd have more than a little blurb.

There is a chance that they are playing damage control, and there is a chance that they are just being completely vague as they aren't sure what is going to be final when it releases.

IGN reported what devs have told them. Is it hearsay? Sure. Are they stirring shit up? You betcha. But they're completely in their rights to report the news they were given. At this point, it's MS' responsibility to stand up and say "that's bullshit." Yet all they've done is fumfer about with cryptic statements that don't explicitly refute IGN's claim. If it isn't true, then they should say so absolutely. Since they haven't, the logical conclusion to make is that IGN is right.

TruthJunky said:
Who cares? Why is this a problem? Jesus Christ, people.

You're being a bunch of fucking morons. This is a complete non-issue.

Wow, this is way over the edge here. There is a question raised about whether functions like navigating menus (while say watching a movie) when sitting will be supported by the device. It's a function that got me interested in the product as the games that they have shown so far have not completely sold me on the device. It's certainly open to discussion.

DeaconKnowledge said:
IGN reported what devs have told them. Is it hearsay? Sure. Are they stirring shit up? You betcha. But they're completely in their rights to report the news they were given. At this point, it's MS' responsibility to stand up and say "that's bullshit." Yet all they've done is fumfer about with cryptic statements that don't explicitly refute IGN's claim. If it isn't true, then they should say so absolutely. Since they haven't, the logical conclusion to make is that IGN is right.

For the most part I'd agree with you ... but so many game companies are so close lipped about anybody saying anything about their product months before released. IGN also said those same developers said you could use the menus while sitting. They've said both. But the negative spin is more fun to attach to.

I don't think it's logical to just think IGN is right. I still don't even know what menus they are even talking about, do you? Is the Netflix/Zune stuff on the show floor?

I agree it's cryptic bullshit but after following huge releases for years it's just par for the course.

I imagine that 'no sitting for menus' is most likely during these demo'd games that require you standing up anyway. But I'm also just guessing, just like the IGN guy.

Jibber Hack said:
Wow, this is way over the edge here. There is a question raised about whether functions like navigating menus (while say watching a movie) when sitting will be supported by the device. It's a function that got me interested in the product as the games that they have shown so far have not completely sold me on the device. It's certainly open to discussion.

If you'd read one more sentence, you'd have noticed that I was joking.

(How did you quote my post and take out the last sentence without reading the last sentence? I'm semi-impressed.)

Jibber Hack said:
He was trying to be funny and going for the "segway driving" angle. :) He wasn't being serious, look at his edit.
[EDIT]damn it, beaten by the man himself.

Top Bottom