• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack new gameplay

I know you guys like Cerny and all, very likeable person. But this game isn't looking so hot, gameplay wise doesn't seem very interesting. It needs a lot more time in the oven so hopefully it won't be a launch title.

The cave level looks awesome in my opinion, maybe once they show different levels you'll change your mind.

M_A_C

Mark Cerny director's cut with him talking to you through the whole game would be a killer feature!

Out of all the launch titles, this still will be my number one to buy.

I wanna see more levels like this:

ibf6Qph1q2MlEV.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Did you watch the cave level and the giant-knack-in-town part?
I agree the first bit might be sorta sparse, but I think the following levels are really cool.
There's nothing special about the cave level. Very routine for this sort of game.

Giant Knack in town epitomizes the biggest problem with the game I see at the moment - doesn't truly capitalize on the size differential and turn the environments fully interactive/destructible. Only certain buildings are destructible (for the sake of hiding secret areas) and you are otherwise still on a scripted path.

What would be nice is to see the game vary more in a freeform fashion between a corridor action platformer to a more open-ended, sandbox brawler as you vary in size.

There obviously could be more to it than what they've shown at E3, but based on what's been shown so far, it's just looking a little too much by-the-numbers.

zeopower6

I want katamari knack

The Katamari aspect only seems to be the 'sense of scale' changing when you get bigger.

At the moment, we know of Ice Knack, Fire Knack, Timber/Wood Knack, Vampire Knack, Stealth Knack, and Giant Knack. I wonder how many others there will be.

Out of all the launch titles, this still will be my number one to buy.

I wanna see more levels like this:

[IMG/]http://i.minus.com/ibf6Qph1q2MlEV.gif[/IMG]

That looks like it could be leading to the point where they get into the Goblin's Hideout or w/e.

I'm sorry but what!? As much as I loved Eden, you can not compare it to Super Mario Galaxy.

Sure I can. And from a pure platforming aspect, for a hardcore, no-nonsense platforming fan, it's better.

Great mechanics, a beautiful, unique look unlike anything else, AWESOME music, a new mechanic introduced for every world, a countdown clock (awesome) that babies who like to be handheld through games hate...pure hardcore platforming bliss with no bullshit, and no fake charm. Amazing co-op that opens up all sorts of moves like slingshotting...And it rewards people who master the controls like no other game of the gen.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
IT looks like a fun game, I just hope there is enough variety to sustain the experience all the way through.

It doesn't look like it will be able to sustain the experience for one level.

Nah sorry, will pass on this one.

GeoramA

Love it. This is straight out of the PSone/N64 era. Just fix those disappearing dead enemies, it's too distracting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Katamari aspect only seems to be the 'sense of scale' changing when you get bigger.

At the moment, we know of Ice Knack, Fire Knack, Timber/Wood Knack, Vampire Knack, Stealth Knack, and Giant Knack. I wonder how many others there will be.

which is a big shame. Imagine an action platformer with the realtime scale change of Katamari Damacy - could be amazing. This seems much more controlled - sometimes you're small, sometimes you're big.

VanWinkle

This honestly looks like a much better game to me. I want Tearaway to stay a Vita exclusive, but I would like to see a new Tearaway game on the PS4 maybe next year.

zeopower6

Looks pretty good but is this going to be a $60 game?

At the moment, that's what it looks like. It'll probably get a price drop not too long after release tbh.

Though honestly, I could see this doing very well since it's the only family-friendly title that's been announced (for retail) on the PS4. If a family is picking up a PS4, I could see them getting it along with one or two other games to have ~variety~ in their launch lineup.

Pungza

I dont get the reference to Crash. You only really killed enemies by jumping or spinning in crash, and the focus was more on different enemies and timing it right to kill them.

Knack seems to focus more an all these player abilities and the enemies are just punch bags.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Love it. This is straight out of the PSone/N64 era. Just fix those disappearing dead enemies, it's too distracting.
It's not an FPS. What recent games of this kind have given you the expectation that fallen enemies should remain persistent? Even God of War still has disappearing dead enemies.

Subaru

Pixel Junk Eden, published by Sony in 2008, was and is still the best pure, hardcore platformer of the entire generation. As a pure platformer even besting the Mario Galaxy games.

Yes, Pixel Junk is awesome, but the Pixel Junk series is way different from those "AAA games". Sound Shapes is awesome too, but again, it's completely different what sony delivers in their "AAA" games.

zeopower6

I dont get the reference to Crash. You only really killed enemies by jumping or spinning in crash, and the focus was more on different enemies and timing it right to kill them.

Knack seems to focus more an all these player abilities and the enemies are just punch bags.

Actually, apparently hard mode will be big on timing attacks just right according to Cerny.

The demo focused on the player abilities on purpose, I think.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cannot wait. This is day one for me.

This is the same video from the previous Knack thread, so there isn't a whole lot else to say. It still seems like a stale, bland brawler with light platforming to me. Not sure why the reactions in this thread are so much more positive compared to the last, unless there's an entirely different audience here.

Looks pretty good for something I definitely thought would be this generations crappy launch title.

I may actually consider playing it.

Ledsen

This is the same video from the previous Knack thread, so there isn't a whole lot else to say. It still seems like a stale, bland brawler with light platforming to me. Not sure why the reactions in this thread are so much more positive compared to the last, unless there's an entirely different audience here.

I agree, nothing about the gameplay seems appealing in the least. It looks sort of like playing a LEGO game without the charm.

zeopower6

The other thread seemed to be tailored towards gathering people who thought the game was boring (Does anyone else thing Knack looks boring? compared to this just being new Knack gameplay)...

This video's also a bit better IMO since Cerny's there to talk through some points with Yusuke.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Definitely getting this, but agree the game looks a little underwhelming. The visuals are insane though.

I love it, brings memories of PS1 days!

The build they're showing clearly lacks a bunch of FX, I imagine it will look much more impressive come launch day.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Insane? What do better looking games look like, schizophrenic?

Woops sorry didn't mean to piss you off for some unknown reason. The game has amazing image quality, super colorful, very smooth, and a million different things going on at once. It's 90s dreamworks quality in realtime without a hitch.

edit-
I like the visual fidelity in this game, but Puppeteer certainly looks more striking compared to what has been shown in this demo. Hopefully, there are levels with more impressive scale and design.

Sure the art style in puppeteer looks better... not even in the discussion in terms of pure power though.

sirap

Even if the gameplay sucks I'll still be getting this. I love 3D platformers (even though this barely has any) and I hope that if this becomes a success we'll see more of them.

That and I fucking love Cerny.

Most good platformers like R&C games, Mario games and the new Banjo game. Technically Knack looks ok, but the art is as bland as in modern Sonic games.

Graphically, Knack looks better than all those titles. The art is not bad, its the amount of objects in the environment that make it look bland. They need more detailed environments imo.

jett

D-Member
The gameplay in this game just seems too old-fashioned for its own good, and at least in what they have shown there's no platforming to speak of at all. It seems to be really basic, and the slow speed doesn't help any. Visually it looks kinda neat, but I don't think they're taking advantage of the disassembling-reassembling gimmick enough.

And_Boy

Woops sorry didn't mean to piss you off for some unknown reason. The game has amazing image quality, super colorful, very smooth, and a million different things going on at once. It's 90s dreamworks quality in realtime without a hitch.

edit-

Sure the art style in puppeteer looks better... not even in the discussion in terms of pure power though.

Agree on a whole, the only thing I miss is the bigger scale of levels (and less emptiness), could a bit more next gen

Insane? What do better looking games look like, schizophrenic?

Hey :/

Mark Cerny is a very cool guy but that game looks deadly boring.

I want to like it. But the more I see of the game the less I like it :(

Knack jumping on a lightpole just looks awkward and stupid. The game world seems very empty. I hope it looks much better on my telly than the impression on my iPhone screen.

That last sentence will probably get me on Worst Neogaf threads twitter thing.

Just can't quite get on board with this art style. I want to like it with every fibre of my being, the genre is right up my alley. It also looks pretty current gen as well. Ill wait to give it a whirl.

Top Bottom