• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5: Fidelity vs Performance Mode Comparison - Which Mode Works Best?

gothmog

Gold Member
I always go for performance, but the unlocked 40fps mode is amazing. If we could get this level of performance and smoothness in video games I would have no issues with devs dropping high framerate games to push visuals.
I've been playing on 40fps for a few hours and have been happy with it. They did a great job on all of the modes so it's a really tough call.

proandrad

I've been playing on 40fps for a few hours and have been happy with it. They did a great job on all of the modes so it's a really tough call.
Sadly I can see other devs just adding a 40 toggle to 60hz refresh rate and being genuinely confused why that would be a bad idea. We still have devs that throw on a 30fps lock with awful frame pacing and think nothing is wrong with their game.

damidu

40 all the way,
admit it feels pretty good when you try perf mode.
but 40 is much easier to adjust compared to 30

still not sure about vrr smooth vs uncapped?
shouldn't uncapped be better?

X-Wing

Squirrel Come At Me Bro GIF

I won't even try 30fps, so for me it's 60 via performance.

I tried the 120hz option and it didn't look terrible, I just felt it wasn't really worth it.

Hopefully, if there is a ps5 pro, it'll be able to offer fidelity mode quality with 60fps.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Nice. I prefer the extra frames but for a more consistant experience locked 40fps is probably the way to go for max fidelity and good responsive controls.
I sit too close to my TV to leave it up capped. I already don't like the way 1440p looks on my 4k screen lol.

My c2 48" is essentially my computer monitor /console machine

40hz mode for me when I get it. I love 40fps. One of the best things introduced in this generation .
I wish it was a standard mode that every game used. It‘s the best balance of performance and quality, and we get the lower input latency of the 120hz mode.

Crayon

Promising that the gap between performance and fidelity is wider in this game. Performance modes have been absolute no brainers so far because the games already looked about as good as they could at 60 and the fidelity modes just burned it on resolution. Or raytraced shadows you could hardly pick out of a side by side. This gives a 30fps choice that actually has something to show for it on screen.

Top Bottom