• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Jedi Survivor's New 60FPS Mode - A Massive Improvement? PS5/ Xbox Series X/S Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Patch 7 lands for Star Wars Jedi Survivor and on the face of it, we're looking at a straight trade. Ray-traced global illumination and reflections effects are gone, with the GPU resources redirected to higher resolution, a smattering of improved fidelity settings - and higher frame-rate. Oliver takes you through a guided tour of the improvements - and the drawbacks - on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, with a quick look at Series S too. We'll be talking about the PC version soon, but it's not looking great.

00:00 Overview
01:26 Visual settings in performance mode
06:37 Image quality and frame-rates in performance mode
09:23 Quality mode, PS5 VRR support, Series S
11:48 Conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Summary

Patch:
- Patch 'promises solid 60 FPS' at the cost of stripping RT in Performance mode
- RTGI and RT Reflections removed, even in cut-scenes which still rendered at 30 FPS.
- At worse it effects lighting, occlusion, neon signs etc. Old RT light looked more 'convincing'
- One additional benefit of stripping RT is that lighting doesn't 'pop' anymore, which was seen in the original setup sometimes.
- Removal doesn't hurt the game as much as you'd think.
- RT Reflections are replaced with SSR. Looks "alright". Can show messy artifacts. SSR 'completely fail' when it comes to water surfaces.
- DF thinks just removing SSR completely would have been a better choice

Visuals:
- New patch has foliage draw distance increased, noticeable in long shots
- Launch version had IQ issue with low resolution upscaling to FSR with visual artifacting
- Post-patch, some artifacting but resolves a better image overall with less artifacting
- Resolution has increased across the board.
- Areas which were 720p before are near 1080p now. Significant improvement in IQ
- PS5 and SX have identical improvements with similar cut-backs in RTGI and reflections

- Performance:
- Pre-patch was pretty rough, avg between 40~60 in opening mission with lows of 30s.
- Post-patch "straight 60 FPS". With minor one-off traversal drops here and there

- Quality mode:
- Retains 30 FPS and original RT. No real change in any visual features
- Frame drops are also mostly still present in the same areas.
- One stress area in Kobo on PS5 which ran at 20s before now runs even worse in the 10s. This is an oddity.

- PS5 has native VRR option added but it doesn't really change much, but it looks like LFC has been added. Now it operates much the same as Series X with VRR
- Any time it falls below LFC range (24fps) tearing and judder returns.

- Series S is more or less the same as launch.
- Performance is consistent, 30 FPS only, no drops seen in testing.
- DF would have liked to see them attempt a 60 FPS mode, with lower visual quality if needed.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
LOL game looks much better without RT. :messenger_face_screaming:

ba0Qm9G.png

V6byNCR.png

Last edited:

Luipadre

Why are the cutscenes still 30 fps with drops to low 20 even with rt off? Also that 15 fps quality mode on ps5 is sure something at the river part

Last edited:

Fbh

Actual 60fps and the more demanding parts are now close to 1080p instead of close to 720P?
I might actually buy this now.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
RT on current gen consoles is a waste of FPS unless the game was designed from the ground up with RT lighting in mind and not tackled in at the end for lulz. Look at Metro Exodus, that has has full RTGI on PS5 and runs at 60 FPS and its not even a linear game.

adamsapple

Why are the cutscenes still 30 fps with drops to low 20 even with rt off? Also that 15 fps quality mode on ps5 is sure something at the river part

The cut-scenes are always targeting a higher resolution, and outside of some one-off drops, they're pretty much 30 all the time.

And yeah, that river part is actually worse now lol.

SomeGit

better settings, better IQ and better performance so much overhead from the removal of RT while is barely makes a difference unless you look for it. The ssr artifacting is awful though

I also don’t understand how they made the quality mode performance even worse on that area.

damidu

game is super fun so far, looks good outside of reflection artifact too.
you can’t go back to 30fps after trying performance mode.
as always waiting paid off.

its still a hot stuttering mess on pc though, play on console

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Performance mode is fixed but they fucked up the Quality Mode even more.

looks like I'm waiting for the next patch then.

GHG

It was one of my most antecipated games and I'm still waiting for the PC patches to fix the game...

There's been a recent patch for the PC version but it doesn't seem to have improved much, still widespread reports of the game crashing in the Steam reviews.

On the bright side, by the time it's actually fixed it will be over 50% off.

Md Ray

Yeah.. but also check this out. Geometry also gets a boost....

dkcV3Bb.png
Yep, it's in line with the previous and current version's 'Quality Mode'. They traded RT for better outdoor shadow quality (though this one's not mentioned), geometry (also I think not mentioned), foliage draw distance, and better frame rate in Performance mode.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
game is super fun so far, looks good outside of reflection artifact too.
you can’t go back to 30fps after trying performance mode.
as always waiting paid off.

its still a hot stuttering mess on pc though, play on console
Nah

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Ray Tracing was a mistake.

edit: 10 fps on PS5 is some sort of joke. Of course putting RT without proper optimization was one of many mistakes of the next gen by far.
smh... I guess you couldn't help yourself. That has nothing to do with RT or PS5.It's clearly some sort of Bug. I mean that part got worse between patches and the mode in question hadn't really changed anything. The whole game screams its something that was just poorly optimized across the board, on both consoles and PC.

Last edited:

RickMasters

This is why it’s good to leave games in your backlog sometimes and play something that does work properly. I’ll probably play this at some point but right. If it’s all about starfield, SF6, been dipping back into NMS for its new content, and finishing up FM7 in preparation for the new forza. I ain’t even played the first game yet so maybe during Xmas holidays I’ll play the two star wars games back to back. As they both will run at a nice 60.

LFC is nice on PS5, it means VRR is working down to 24fps. Is it the first multiplat game using LFC on PS5?

Why the others developers don't do it in all games?

Fake

smh... I guess you couldn't help yourself. That has nothing to do with RT or PS5.It's clearly some sort of Bug. I mean that part got worse between patches and the mode in question hadn't really changed anything. The whole game screams its something that was just poorly optimized across the board, on both consoles and PC.

Oliver never mention any bug in that scene. RT in water bodies reflections normally are heavy demaning. Even so if you noted in the video, as soon as he get out of the body of water the fps get better. And by the way the devs talked over their blog, we can't sure if this game will ever get everything fixed. The only hope will be the old gen release with a patch for next gen in the same day, but if you missed the last DF Weekly Show is very unlikely.

And WTF are you talking about 'you couldn't help yourself'? Are you high or something?

Mr.Phoenix

Oliver never mention any bug in that scene. RT in water bodies reflections normally are heavy demaning. Even so if you noted in the video, as soon as he get out of the body of water the fps get better. And by the way the devs talked over their blog, we can't sure if this game will ever get everything fixed. The only hope will be the old gen release with a patch for next gen in the same day, but if you missed the last DF Weekly Show is very unlikely.

And WTF are you talking about 'you couldn't help yourself'? Are you high or something?
So a particular scene gets worse from patch 6.5 to 7, and they have not done or added anything new in the mode in question. Not a higher rez, not any new features.. it just gets worse. While the rest of the game in its entirety gets better.

And you need someone to tell you that it's a bug?

TonyK

I played it in quality mode with no problems but I'm curious about the new performance mode. It's a shame cutscenes in performance mode removed RT, because cutscene were gorgeous.

twilo99

Ray Tracing was a mistake.

edit: 10 fps on PS5 is some sort of joke. Of course putting RT without proper optimization was one of many mistakes of the next gen by far.

Ray Tracing is fine if you have the hardware to do it properly, the current consoles DO NOT posses such hardware.

adamsapple

Really glad I decided to wait for GP on this one. Sounds like it had some issues.

It sold very well, normally games which sell well come to EA Play by 10 or 12 months.

Immortals of Aveum is probably gonna come a lot sooner cause that game didn't do that well.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Removing RT was the right choice. One that should have been done much sooner.
The diference in image quality is very small, for the performance impact.
Wonder if they could have left it as a option though for folks with VRR also the future consoles.

King Dazzar

I held off buying this due to all the bad reports from a technical perspective. But just picked it up on sale for PS5 following the good news with patch 7. Only played the first 10 minutes. But my initial impressions are excellent and beyond my expectations. Great performance so far, excellent visuals (I'm using an 8k upscale on my TV to enhance the detail, which adds a touch more detail). But even so I thought it may look a bit low res etc - but needn't have worried. And must mention the brilliant haptics.

Big thumbs up from moi!

Top Bottom