• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 4 runs at 1080p@60fps on the PS4 [DF: Nope...]

I didn't compare cost/value or anything like that. I just stated, that next gen games will still have massive technical issues and he doesn't need to be worried playing those next to GTAV. However, when you are used to stable 60FPS at native resolution and top tier image quality...yeah, when you'll have a problem with GTA V. A big one.

"Massive technical issues"? Why do you feel the need to exaggerate this much?

Thrakier

Gemüsepizza;70067541 said:
"Massive technical issues"? Why do you feel the need to exaggerate this much?

Because I don't feel like I'm exaggerating. To me, it's massive. 30FPS or even worse, 30FPS with framedrops, unlocked framerates between 30 and 60, sub 1080p resolutions, jaggies galore...all those things are "massive" to me. I can't enjoy games that way.

Metfanant

No I don't have to because I'm speaking from a personal perspective. A game at 30FPS is pretty much useless to me, so if I spent 400$ on a console to NOT play all those 30FPS games...that's a pretty shitty cost/value rate, isn't it?

you're completely missing the point...everything has to be taken in context if 1080p/60fps is an absolute requirement for you to game...then you frankly shouldn't purchase a PS4 or Xbone because its more than likely that the average game will not meet those standards (particularly a solid 60fps frame rate)...

my point about cost is that knowing what these consoles cost, and knowing their hardware configurations...expecting them to match the visuals and performance of high end PC's is wishful thinking at best...

because of that your expectations for said consoles should be that they CANNOT match those levels of visuals/performance...and if that is the expectation, they therefore cannot be a "huge disappointment"

It's like there were people saying "Oh, The Order is 1920 x 800? I won't be buying it then." Seriously? That's going to put you off?

If nobody was told that The Order was 1920 x 800 and you fired it up i can guarantee that nobody here would be able to tell it wasnt full on 1920x1080 (except for the black bars)

The reason why people want 60FPS is gameplay. It's impact is much bigger than any screen tearing.
agree...but that doesn't mean its the case for everyone...ive got friends that are VERY sensitive to aliasing to the point where they wont play a game...and some that seemingly don't notice it at all...same with frame rates...

screen tearing could be just as game breaking as framerates for some...I for one agree with you that a solid framerate is more important...but i dont think 60fps is a requirement...i don't really think 60fps would have made the Uncharted games any better than they were at 30fps for instance...

Thrakier

you're completely missing the point...everything has to be taken in context if 1080p/60fps is an absolute requirement for you to game...then you frankly shouldn't purchase a PS4 or Xbone because its more than likely that the average game will not meet those standards (particularly a solid 60fps frame rate).

I'm not missing the point. Plesae read my comment which started this and the context it was in. What you are talking about now has NOTHING to do with that.

If nobody was told that The Order was 1920 x 800 and you fired it up i can guarantee that nobody here would be able to tell it wasnt full on 1920x1080 (except for the black bars)

So they would be able to, uhm?

Well aware of that thanks. I get this point. It affects fluidity of animation and motion, collision detection etc.

Not everybody wants this though. Rage has texture pop-in issues trying to keep upto 60 frames a second on consoles if I remember rightly, what was wrong with 30?

What was wrong with screen tearing?

I'm getting the feeling that you're the type of chap who spends countless dollars or pounds or whatever, making sure your system can squeeze those one or two extra frames out a game.

Wrong, I'm rocking a middle class PC and gaming on high settings, not ultra. Native resolution and 60FPS is my first priority because that makes games better. I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Metfanant

Surely upscaling technology will sort those out. This might even before the switch to 8GB of RAM and they're working on upping the resolution as we speak. It's not a launch title and the ICE team will likely develop something in the near future to greatly benefit the system, similar to the SPURS system.

the black bars are there by choice of the developer from what i understand...trying to make it look more like a movie (stupid IMO)....

I'm not missing the point. Plesae read my comment which started this and the context it was in. What you are talking about now has NOTHING to do with that.
you are though...my point is that the visuals/performance of these next gen consoles (which have not even launched yet btw) can ONLY be viewed as "huge disappointments" if your expectations of them were to match high end PC's...period...

So they would be able to, uhm?
the game is designed with the black bars...you still wouldn't be able to to tell if it wasn't told to you...and if the black bars were removed, and it was simple upscaled to fit the whole screen....you still wouldn't be able to...

Wrong, I'm rocking a middle class PC and gaming on high settings, not ultra. Native resolution and 60FPS is my first priority because that makes games better. I don't need all the bells and whistles.

native res of your screen or the game itself?

antitrop

Using a mouse to control a camera at 30 fps is a horrible experience.
Ya, it's a massive disadvantage in an online shooter. If the frame rate isn't locked at my monitor's refresh rate (60Hz), controlling the mouse is like fighting against it.

30fps is fine for consoles.

Thrakier

you are though...my point is that the visuals/performance of these next gen consoles (which have not even launched yet btw) can ONLY be viewed as "huge disappointments" if your expectations of them were to match high end PC's...period...

I know that this is your point. And it's also correct. And it also has just nothing to do with the comment I made.

the game is designed with the black bars...you still wouldn't be able to to tell if it wasn't told to you...and if the black bars were removed, and it was simple upscaled to fit the whole screen....you still wouldn't be able to...

Crazy talk. Of course I do notice when a game is upscaled. If you don't, I know why we are having this discussion.

native res of your screen or the game itself?

Screen, obviously.

The reason why people want 60FPS is gameplay. It's impact is much bigger than any screen tearing.

It's not much bigger for everyone.I find it impossible to believe that you wouldn't have loved all the Zelda and Mario N64 classics just because they weren't 60fps.

Edit:I haven't read the whole discussion. Sorry for butting in.

Thrakier

It's not much bigger for everyone.I find it impossible to believe that you wouldn't have loved all the Zelda and Mario N64 classics just because they weren't 60fps.

This style of comparison doesn't work. It's not an objective quality, it's an subjective one depending on your perception. Back then, I did have a different perception and so I enjoyed them. Today, I would not.

This style of comparison doesn't work. It's not an objective quality, it's an subjective one depending on your perception. Back then, I did have a different perception and so I enjoyed them. Today, I would not.

A game like Zelda you can walk about leisurely. 60 fps isn't important, only for fast reaction FPS IMO. No doubt which is better out of Ocarina Of Time or Crysis 3. (Edit: Sorry, I meant one being 30FPS? and awesome = Zelda)

Nethaniah

A game like Zelda you can walk about leisurely. 60 fps isn't important, only for fast reaction FPS IMO. No doubt which is better out of Ocarina Of Time or Crysis 3. (Edit: Sorry, I meant one being 30FPS? and awesome = Zelda)

Crysis 3 cause it's still playable, OOT isn't with it's 20fps.

I built an $800 PC a year ago and yes there is a difference. But truly that difference isn't noticeable enough for the average person. Resolution is also nice but again I'm not gonna not play GTA 5 just because it isn't 1080p natively. I guess it really depends what you buy games for. To admire their technical aspects or just play and have fun. I still buy games for my consoles even when they are locked to 30 fps. The only advantage I like about the pc is the cheap games and mods/customization.

So people in this thread claiming that 60fps versus 30fps create a substantial difference must have been of games for a very very long time and that's why it must be hard for them to move to consoles.

kazebyaka

Banned
I built an $800 PC a year ago and yes there is a difference. But truly that difference isn't noticeable enough for the average person. Resolution is also nice but again I'm not gonna not play GTA 5 just because it isn't 1080p natively. I guess it really depends what you buy games for. To admire their technical aspects or just play and have fun. I still buy games for my consoles even when they are locked to 30 fps. The only advantage I like about the pc is the cheap games and mods/customization.

So people in this thread claiming that 60fps versus 30fps create a substantial difference must have been of games for a very very long time and that's why it must be hard for them to move to consoles.

30fps vs 60fps is like a crappy 2d movie screen vs Imax

sure you can enjoy a movie on crappy screen, but you will get more enjoyment out of Imax

elektrixx

Banned
I lock my PC games at 30FPS if they target 30 on consoles. I didn't want to be a frame rate snob, but the push for Battlefield, Halo and other stuff to go 60FPS is gonna force my hand.

Metfanant

30fps vs 60fps is like a crappy 2d movie screen vs Imax

sure you can enjoy a movie on crappy screen, but you will get more enjoyment out of Imax

im not buying that as a generalization...i just can't see how Uncharted would have been that much more enjoyable @ 60fps...

Thrakier

ill call BS...without pixel counting you wouldn't have known for instance that GT5 renders at 1280x1080

Are you mad? I'd see that with one eye closed from across the room. The difference between a scaled and a native image is huge, it's one of the biggest factors regarding image quality.

well thats always going to be difficult to come by with console gaming...if i buy a 4k TV what then?

I wouldn't, then. But 1080p is the standard screen now for 5-7 years, depending on your region. Don't you think that it's fucking finally time that consoles can match that standard?

Metfanant

Are you mad? I'd see that with one eye closed from across the room. The difference between a scaled and a native image is huge, it's one of the biggest factors regarding image quality.
nonsense...too many variables at play to make the distinction with your eyes...for instance...GT5 is all over the map in visuals...certain aspects look crisper and cleaner when running in 720p than in 1280x1080...

resolution is only part of the equation...Uncharted looks better in its native 720p then just about anything running natively at 1080p

I wouldn't, then. But 1080p is the standard screen now for 5-7 years, depending on your region. Don't you think that it's fucking finally time that consoles can match that standard?
not considering the cost/hardware specs of the consoles, no i wouldn't...

if you want the PS4 to cost $600+ like the PS3 did (when 720p sets were not even the "standard" and people asked the question "when am I really going to need HD?"

So an Uncharted with extra responsiveness and overal just a more fluid image wouldn't have been more enjoyable?

don't think there is anything wrong with the responsiveness or fluidity of Uncharted at 30fps...if it dips below 30fps however all bets are off...

oh, Uncharted would be a lot more awesome in solid 60
nonsense

Synless

For the person who mentioned The Order's resolution, why should we assume a game so far off will still keep that resolution in the end?

Metfanant

For the person who mentioned The Order's resolution, why should we assume a game so far off will still keep that resolution in the end?

my guess...

1. with the black bar "cinematic" look the dev is going for its an easy way to free up resolution
2. the lower res allows for higher quality assets or more performance in other areas..

Mit-

The difference is less profound if you only use controllers.

Using a mouse to control a camera at 30 fps is a horrible experience.
I think it's more noticeable on controller. You don't ever slowly pan your view on PC. You just slam the mouse to the exact point that you'd like to focus on and then stop. With a controller you have to pan there more slowly.

When there's sub-60 framerates, that panning looks like a horrendous blurry mess. Movies have the same problem. On PC you scroll your view so fast that it doesn't matter much. You'd need 120+ fps to focus on anything while moving your view on mouse/keyboard.

Brera

Banned
honestly i would like 30 fps for this kind of game. just put more detail and let 60fps for shooters/racers/fighters/sports....

Same here.

Prefer my adventure games at 30fps and OTT graffix!

60fps makes games look less cinematic and more arcadey which doesn't suit every game. I guess all these cross gen games will be 60fps

Thrakier

nonsense...too many variables at play to make the distinction with your eyes...for instance...GT5 is all over the map in visuals...certain aspects look crisper and cleaner when running in 720p than in 1280x1080...

resolution is only part of the equation...Uncharted looks better in its native 720p then just about anything running natively at 1080p

not considering the cost/hardware specs of the consoles, no i wouldn't...

if you want the PS4 to cost $600+ like the PS3 did (when 720p sets were not even the "standard" and people asked the question "when am I really going to need HD?"

don't think there is anything wrong with the responsiveness or fluidity of Uncharted at 30fps...if it dips below 30fps however all bets are off...

nonsense

No sense in talking to you. You theories and opiniones are crazy talk throughout.

Thrakier

If the game looks good and is stable, no one is going to give a shit that its not 60fps. Would it be nice to have all games run at 60fps? Sure. No one is complaining that the Division is running at 30fps on PS4... probably because its a very good looking game and coming to the Xbone as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-tom-clancys-the-division

Get a PC.

I am complaining. :) Not the slightest urge to play it after I heard it's 30.

rvy

Banned
60fps makes games look less cinematic and more arcadey which doesn't suit every game.

Funny myth. MGS 2 is far more cinematic than Far Cry 3 running on a console. According to such a ridiculous notion, Far Cry 3 should look more cinematic than MGS 2 seeing as one runs at 60 and the other at 25.

I am complaining. :) Not the slightest urge to play it after I heard it's 30.
Looks like the new consoles can draw a pretty picture but don't have the power to animate that picture at 60fps? Sacrifices still have to be made this coming gen? Wouldn't it be better to tone down the quality of the graphics in order to run the game at 60fps? Or could it be that running it at 60fps isn't as important to game play as you and others make out?

rvy

Banned
Or could it be that running it at 60fps isn't as important to game play as you and others make out?

Yeah, it probably isn't. I mean, just look at Call of Duty, right? No idea why no other shooter can reach similar numbers on consoles.

Coincidences and shit.

GetemMa

If the game looks good and is stable, no one is going to give a shit that its not 60fps. Would it be nice to have all games run at 60fps? Sure. No one is complaining that the Division is running at 30fps on PS4... probably because its a very good looking game and coming to the Xbone as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-tom-clancys-the-division

Get a PC.

No TC The Division on PC :(

No Destiny either, or Metal Gear Solid V, or FFXV, or KH3.

Devs treatment of PC hasn't changed much from that last gen if these new game announcements are anything to go by.

Yeah, it probably isn't. I mean, just look at Call of Duty, right? No idea why no other shooter can reach similar numbers on consoles.

Coincidences and shit.

Yeah for sure, it's important for a game like COD. Not important for a game like Fable.

Its unfortunate, but I think this gen it makese sense to make a PC version as the consoles are so similar to PCs.

My point is if people care so much about frame rates then get a PC. It clearly is only an issue for certain people with agendas against a certain platform or exclusive, or folks who stopped playing games long ago and simply talk about games. I understand that some games are simply unplayable because frame rates drop well below 30 consistently. But these debates are really getting stupid. Especially when the games in question look great thus far and have yet to be released,

Its unfortunate, but I think this gen it makese sense to make a PC version as the consoles are so similar to PCs.

My point is if people care so much about frame rates then get a PC. It clearly is only an issue for certain people with agendas against a certain platform or exclusive, or folks who stopped playing games long ago and simply talk about games. I understand that some games are simply unplayable because frame rates drop well below 30 consistently. But these debates are really getting stupid. Especially when the games in question look great thus far and have yet to be released,

But don't many PC owners end up playing at 30fps or less because they bump up the resolution and image quality because that is more important to them than speed and smoothness?

But don't many PC owners end up playing at 30fps or less because they bump up the resolution and image quality because that is more important to them than speed and smoothness?

For some games, but not others. If you're playing Skyrim, you'll pump in the super high rez textures and ENB profiles and go "look how pretty!" while it's chugging at 20fps, but if you're playing a shooter, or frankly anything competitive, you'll go for what gives you an advantage. Just look at the number of SC2 players that play the game on the lowest graphics settings because it declutters their screen and helps them see the necessary bits better.

Nethaniah

Looks like the new consoles can draw a pretty picture but don't have the power to animate that picture at 60fps? Sacrifices still have to be made this coming gen? Wouldn't it be better to tone down the quality of the graphics in order to run the game at 60fps? Or could it be that running it at 60fps isn't as important to game play as you and others make out?

Pwetty bullshot screens promote a game better, all there is to it.

That's amazing.

It's amazing that a game that runs at a better framerate plays better? Okay.

Top Bottom