• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 4 runs at 1080p@60fps on the PS4 [DF: Nope...]

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If they deliver on this and the product isn't buggy as hell, I'll buy it on the PS4. If not, I'm ignoring this game completely. It's just hard to trust that Ubisoft will deliver a product that is worth the frustrations.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I won't be surprised if we still see a lot of games running at resolutions like 1280*1080 or 1440*1080 with horizontal upscaling to 1920*1080.

I'd certainly rather games dropped a few horizontal lines to maintain a stronger Performance and IQ.

Dropping "a few horizontal lines" would weaken the IQ.

gdt

Well I would hope so. Its a cross gen game. They aren't gonna create entirely new assets to take advantage of the stronger hardware. So the same (essentially) assets of PS3/360 are running on a PS4/XB1 so they can push the framerate. I wouldn't take this as any sort of indication that exclusively next gen games will be 60fps.

My hope is that this being a standard at the start of the gen where they are up-porting last gen games with a ton more resources will set a precedent and devs will be hesitant to back down if people pay attention to these metrics.

60FPS isn't being widely adopted, it's just that these games were made on the X360/PS3 and the developers had a ton of extra power to deal with. When the games are made on the PS4 and XOne the framerate will probably be 30FPS (possibly 60FPS on PS4 due to extra power).

Wonko_C

At Sony's conference, when the game crashed, does anyone know if it was the game's fault or the console was crapping out? I don't want a repeat of the 360's RROD.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool. Lots of good news coming out of the PS4. I do wonder about AA, though. 1080p is great, but jaggies can still do a lot of damage to IQ. I'm sure it'll all be that blurry post-processing junk.

PSYGN

I was embarrassed for the demoers when it froze up. But at least it looked great when it wasn't frozen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
60FPS isn't being widely adopted, it's just that these games were made on the X360/PS3 and the developers had a ton of extra power to deal with. When the games are made on the PS4 and XOne the framerate will probably be 30FPS (possibly 60FPS on PS4 due to extra power).
I hope they find a way to do framerates between 30 and 60 without tearing next gen because even 40fps looks far smoother than 30fps.

It's hard to tell what's running on a high end PC and what's running on next gen consoles. That's a good thing.

Toa TAK

Banned
Very happy to hear that more AAA games are achieving 60 FPS, now Call of Duty has no excuse. NONE.

As for ACIV that's great for the multiplayer, but I don't care at all for it, how about that single-player?

Do you guys thing devs and publishers will adopt "60 fps" as the new buzzword since a lot of them can now more easily achieve it on the powerful systems? I certainly heard it a lot more during pitches at press conferences and on show floor interviews.

Feel sorry for the UBI team that AC4 stuttered during the conference. That has to hurt your feelings somewhat when you've worked so hard to prepare something for E3.

Akainu

You know I really like AC multiplayer. I'd rather be able to buy that and then maybe play the single campaign at some other time.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
for a game developed for last gen hardware as well, i'd hope it would be. because it won't compete graphically with next gen games with no last gen sku.

Madness

Damn, open world games will benefit the most from next gen. It'll be jarring though seeing the great Infamous, Assassins Creed 4, and Watch Dogs gameplay and playing GTA V and picking out things like pop in or choppy framerate etc.

Looks like PC'ers will be happy too since they will also get to benefit from the console bump.

Thrakier

Damn, open world games will benefit the most from next gen. It'll be jarring though seeing the great Infamous, Assassins Creed 4, and Watch Dogs gameplay and playing GTA V and picking out things like pop in or choppy framerate etc.

Looks like PC'ers will be happy too since they will also get to benefit from the console bump.

No worries, you will see plenty of choppy framerate and pop in (if you are not playing on PC). :)

It seems there was a title edit but no link added, so I found this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

there's no frame-rate dips at all during its 10 minute stretch - while reports came from the showfloor of a 60fps multiplayer experience, this was clearly a silky-smooth 30fps presentation. [singleplayer presentation]

...which means the (new) title isn't entirely exact.

No worries, you will see plenty of choppy framerate and pop in (if you are not playing on PC). :)

Elitist statement with smug smiley - Check.

According to the DF report from above, AC runs "silky-smooth" with "no frame-rate dips at all". I guess that the game probably runs at something between 30fps and 60fps in SP mode, but is locked to 30fps here (for now). Watch_Dogs is also from Ubisoft, and while it doesn't seem to use the same engine as AC, I am pretty sure that they will get the performance right. In Infamous 2, devs used a dynamic resolution technique in scenes when there is much happening on the screen to prevent frame rate drops, so I don't think we will see anything "choppy" in it's successor. There was some pop-in in the demo, but I am confident that they will be able to eliminate this, after all the PS4 has 8GB of high-speed GDDR5 RAM. And I really wonder how you are going to play a PS4-exclusive game on your PC...

NotUS

At Sony's conference, when the game crashed, does anyone know if it was the game's fault or the console was crapping out? I don't want a repeat of the 360's RROD.

At E3 it was an unfinished, unoptimized game running on not final hardware. It will look great and run butter smooth on release, they have plenty of time to optimize and polish.

I think peoples expectations for most games for next gen are unrealistically high at the moment. Everything at the moment is in its alpha or beta state, developers are working on new platforms which have had moving spec targets over the last year. This is why the 2nd and 3rd year of games always see huge advances on launch titles, as specs are locked in and developers know the system.

dino1980

So if they cant target 60fps on the ps4 version, is it then a port of the PC-version? And is the PC version bottlenecked yet again of a bad port from the current-gen consoles.

So if they cant target 60fps on the ps4 version,

But they can. Nobody is preventing them from doing it, this entirely depends on their vision for the game. And in fact, the multiplayer mode seems to run at 60fps. I guess the singleplayer mode runs above 30fps as well, because it seems very stable, but is probably locked at 30fps. Maybe they are able to get this to 60fps in the final product. But we should not forget that the PS4 version isn't the only version they are working on, so it remains to be seen.

is it then a port of the PC-version? And is the PC version bottlenecked yet again of a bad port from the current-gen consoles.

I don't see any signs of "a bad port" yet. And the PC version is always bottlenecked in some way. Devs can't make games with assets and effects that scale indefinitely, because, contrary to popular belief, most PCs aren't monster machines with the latest Intel CPUs and quad SLI, and their dev budget definitely doesn't scale indefinitely.

dino1980

Gemüsepizza;70054441 said:
But they can. Nobody is preventing them from doing it, this entirely depends on their vision for the game. And in fact, the multiplayer mode seems to run at 60fps. I guess the singleplayer mode runs above 30fps as well, because it seems very stable, but is probably locked at 30fps. Maybe they are able to get this to 60fps in the final product. But we should not forget that the PS4 version isn't the only version they are working on, so it remains to be seen.

I hope the ps4 version will be in 60fps with ambient occlusion and good AA when it is released. AC3 looks so great in some instances where you get the above.

Gemüsepizza;70054441 said:
I don't see any signs of "a bad port" yet. And the PC version is always bottlenecked in some way. Devs can't make games with assets and effects that scale indefinitely, because, contrary to popular belief, most PCs aren't monster machines with the latest Intel CPUs and quad SLI, so it would not make much sense.

With the other im just gonna mention AC3 and not be able to run it in 60fps because its cpu bottlenecked from a really bad port. This is why im a little bit worried. Just want the next chapter in this series to work in 60fps, either on ps4 or PC.

Top Bottom