• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else still using a bum joycon?

Haines

Banned
I bought a launch unit switch with the left joycons that constantly disconnects when used wirelessly.

Never got around to sending it in for repair bc I would either be playing in portable mode or using my pro controller.

With ARMS testpumch tmrw I'm kicking myself bc I read some people thinking motion controls will be the best method of play.

I might send it in after this weekend.

Anybody else still got a bum joycon to send in.

nynt9

Yeah I never got around to sending mine in either. Don't have the time to get on the phone to deal with a rep. Wish it was possible to do an online form or something.

a harpy

Yeah I never got around to sending mine in either. Don't have the time to get on the phone to deal with a rep. Wish it was possible to do an online form or something.

Yeah I am really busy on my average day. I finally have some breathing room this weekend so I'm gonna try to call but only having phone support makes me groan. Why does Nintendo have to be so behind on stuff like this?

It looks like I have to do something about them if I wanna play ARMS, though. The non-motion controls leave something to be desired.

BooJoh

I remember back when my original DS broke they sent me a replacement with a return box for the original, so I had zero time without my system. Would be nice if they could do that with Joycons but I guess if they're doing repairs and sending them back it's not really feasible.

I got lucky with the QA on my Switch but I'm hoping once I finally get a pair of blue Joycons that I won't have to send them in before I can use them.

galvatron

I had 2 bad left joycons between my system and my extra pair. Having a pair made it painless to send them in one after the other and I got each one back 4 days or so after sending them in. Just got the second one back last week.

There's a menu option for switch repairs and I got to talk to a rep with really low wait time after work. There's not much excuse for keeping a bum joycon if you've got a backup controller.

bumpkin

Dumb question... How do I find out if my Joy-Con has an issue?

And second, how do I go about getting the repair/replacement if I do?

Camjo-Z

I'm pretty sure my left Joycon is messed up but since I only ever use the Pro Controller while docked I hardly ever notice. If it doesn't work properly during the ARMS test I guess I'll finally have to send it in.

BooJoh

Dumb question... How do I find out if my Joy-Con has an issue?

And second, how do I go about getting the repair/replacement if I do?

Go to System Settings -> Controllers and Sensors -> Calibrate Controls Sticks
With the Joycon disconnected from the system rotate the stick in circles. If you have a bum Joycon it should periodically get jumpy/stuttery or lose signal altogether. Try moving away from the system.

In normal operating conditions you should probably be able to get at least 8-10 feet away with no issues.

To replace it call Nintendo Support and tell them your problem.

phanphare

Banned

takes roughly 1 or 2 minutes, just so you know

if you could do an online form you could ring a rep

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Probably, I don't disconnect my joycon from the console (Have Pro Controller) so its not something ive ever bothered looking into or really care about.

I'll probably just eventually buy a new pair when there's a color configuation or a different layout (True D-Pad, or bigger buttons version, or something) that really speaks to me.

I only play Zelda with the Pro Controller or in handheld mode, so I didn't really care about my shitty JoyCon, but after the Arms Direct I realised I was going to want to play that Testpunch. I just fixed it myself in about ten minutes with a Youtube guide, with a tri-wing screwdriver, a tiny Philips head and a square of foam from my most recent graphics card packaging.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just call Nintendo to set it up they send an email with all the instructions.

I procrastinated on sending mine in too. Like a month after the call.

I need to send mine in and check if the Neon system my girlfriend just got does it too, weird thing is my Switch works almost flawlessly in my apartment, but when I visit my parents it goes to total shit.

spekkeh

Banned
Sent it back to Nintendo because I heard the repair would take a few days max. Still waiting on it 1.5 months later. Assholes. Apparently the thing is so supply constrained even Nintendo themselves can't get a hold of them.

(but it's the right one which needs to be replaced instead of fixed apparently)

LaneDS

One of the two sets I have not only has the disconnecting left joycon (which I only learned of recently in split screen online Mario Kart, which was super frustrating) but also a bum A button... is Nintendo pretty good about outright replacing these or are they just going to stick a piece of foam on it and call it a day?

Yeah cause I only play in portable mode, and I can't send it to Nintendo anyway since I imported.

I did buy the needed screwdrivers though so I can do the repair myself any time if I need to.

Still aint sent mine in, got 2 dodgy lefts so will send one in then the other once ive got the first back, only get like 1 desync a day though so I'm in no rush

RAWRferal

Fixed mine with conductive foam. Cheap and easy, 5-10 mins DIY job, didn't have to be without my Joycon.

Plus it's the same fix Nintendo would do anyway.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mine disconnected a lot when I kept the docked unit behind my TV. I just pull it out in front of the TV when I play. As long as there is a straight line of sight from the dock to the controller it seems to work ok.

Berordn

Sent both of my lefts in last week, they should be back today. It wasn't a consistent issue for me, but it was annoying enough in MP that people were already fighting over the right joycon.

NEO0MJ

Me, but I have no way to return it to them, not without significant costs as I don't live in a country that Nintendo officially supports.

How are new Joycons?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Sent all my controllers off the other day.

Both my left joycons were getting interference, but the right ones weren't perfect either.

Additionally my Pro controller had a d-pad issue of misreading inputs.

Pagusas

Elden Member
anyone have a link for a quick RMA of the bad left joycon? I remeber it being posted once before, would like to start the process if its as simple as going through an online form.

Salaadin

I want to send mine in but don't want to be without my switch for a week. I really should, though.
Does Nintendo pay for shipping both ways

Het_Nkik

I don't even know if mine is defective or not. I'm only like 6 to 8 feet away from my Switch when I play with the Joy Cons wirelessly and I've never had any problems. I guess I should do some tests before it's out of warranty.

Berordn

anyone have a link for a quick RMA of the bad left joycon? I remeber it being posted once before, would like to start the process if its as simple as going through an online form.

This is the support page, but there's no form or anything. You have to call to actually send it in.

It helps them if you do go down the list though, as long as you're familiar with the steps they'll be happy to set up the repair.

I want to send mine in but don't want to be without my switch for a week. I really should, though.
Does Nintendo pay for shipping both ways

NoA pays both ways but you have to provide packaging. I assume the other branches work similarly.

Yeah, my switch looks like absolute dogshit on my tv (so bad that I sold the dock) so my joycons are never going to be more than like a foot away from the unit in the rare event they are detached.

zenspider

I did for a long while haha.

Just call Nintendo support. They sent me a shipping label, I grabbed a box and some bubble wrap and went to Staples. Turnaround was about 5 business days. Works perfect, took me about half an hour altogether and didn't cost a cent.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mine's probably bum, just don't notice/care as I only use the joycons in portable mode and pro controller docked.

Guess I'll find out when I try the motion controls during the Arms test punch.

lionpants

No need to contact Nintendo. Order a new pair from Amazon (which have the new fixed models) and return your broken pair as defective.

Hell of a lot faster and less talking to real people.

womp

Sent mine back Monday and it was delivered back to me this morning. I simply 'rented' a pre-owned left joycon from GameStop and returned it last night within the 7 day pre-owned return policy while it was off and away being fixed.

The call to Nintendo took less than 10 min.

Top Bottom