• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like to see from the next 2D Zelda?

kc44135

I'd just like for it to be on Switch. After Metroid, I'm honestly really concerned we won't see the likes of a 2D Zelda on Switch. One of the reasons I was excited for Switch is that I thought we are every style of Nintendo game on the platform, but now I'm not sure what Nintendo's thinking here. I hope my concerns are unwarranted in the end. :/

Caramello

For it to not exist. Sorry, I just don't enjoy 2D Zelda.

Fake edit: If they have a separate team for it and it doesn't affect the next 'proper' 3D game then sure, go ahead.

Think of it this way, Nintendo have small teams that work on specific projects. For example there's always a small team working on the next 2D Zelda, there's always a small team working on the next 3D Zelda etc. Then there's a large pool of developers at Nintendo that move between projects when they are in full production.

So early on in a projects life, there is nothing taking away from any other project. When a game enters full production, there are less developers available for any other project to enter full production within Nintendo and less resources to use to speed up development of a specific project.

So basically any produced game means that another is effected. It's the reason why Pikmin 3 took so long. A small team was working on it for a long time while other projects were prioritised for full production.

A Maker game or a journey that takes you through time. Start at Zelda, land in the Gameboy games, wind up in the land of the Minish, explore the spirit tracks, etc....

I want a Zelda 2 reimagining like Samus Returns. I think a visual style like the Dragons Trap remake would be ideal. Get rid of the jank and let one of the most underrated Zelda games shine.

Moelman

Neo Member
I want Zelda Maker more than a next mainline game. Otherwise, something completely original, not based on a previous 2D game (as great as ALBW is).

ALBW is the best post-MM Zelda. Nintendo could just run it back. I'd be happy with a follow up that (a) iterates on the wall-merging idea; (b) occurs in a similarly compact game world, although an original one this time; and (c) adds a few more item gates and a steeper difficulty curve along the "natural order" of dungeons so that there is a stronger sense of progression.

ghibli99

I actually wouldn't mind them revisiting -- but NOT remaking -- Zelda 2. A nice overworld map with towns, landmarks, collectibles, and dungeons that can be explored as a side-scroller.

Kneefoil

I know they're not going to do it, but I'd love to see another take on the Zelda II formula of sidescrolling action and a level up system of some kind. Bring back magic that works in the same vein as it does in Zelda II, too.

Looking through some of the posts here before posting, I'm surprised many other people are asking something similar as well.

Not a fan of that gummy 3d art style they used for ALBW.

I don't want WW Link, but rather another cel-shaded art style that's reminiscent of BotW but still looks to the original NES artstyle we saw for Zelda games.

Top Bottom