• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Backers are starting to receive the physical edition and oh boy...

I get the complains about the manual but the empty box is what they promised, what more do you want?, it was always just a box. Shipping the box flat makes sense, it takes 2 seconds to assemble it.

joe2187

Banned
MfYa7ir.gif

Futaleufu

I'm still confused by these posts... the image you're talking about was pretty clearly labeled as a "concept" piece. The Kickstarter page makes reference to it being a 2.5D game multiple times. They released a video before the campaign was over showing a 2.5 game in action.

I understand someone not liking the game or its art style, but even the slightest bit of scrutiny of the Kickstarter pitch makes it clear what you're backing.

Anyone can create a 2.5D platformer using 2D sprites for the characters. There are lots of games like that in the PS1/Saturn era.

popyea

I imagine manuals like this were originally folded inside the box, which is why it doesn't fit laid out flat. I don't have much experience with Japanese boxes from that era though.

Wereroku

HardRojo

The manual not fitting must be an analogy where the manual is people's expectations, and the box is Inafune's ability to deliver.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im still convinced Inafune is the reason for Capcoms current predicament.

He was all beating his chest insulting Japanese devs last gen saying they have to be like Western devs. They outsourced half their projects which turned out shit. Of course Inafune left but its Capcom left to deal with the financial woes and the devalued ips.

Wereroku

Im still convinced Inafune is the reason for Capcoms current predicament.

He was all beating his chest insulting Japanese devs last gen saying they have to be like Western devs. They outsourced half their projects which turned out shit. Of course Inafune left but its Capcom left to deal with the financial woes and the devalued ips.

Naw I blame Clover for making nothing but financial bombs their entire existence, this is sarcasm obviously. Capcom's problems can't be laid on the shoulders of a single person or group.

qko

Damn, to a degree I understand the box not being assembled, but the instruction manual not fitting? That's crazy.

Crocodile

Err I don't see where they lied though? I guess some y'all forgot what you backed (at this point I kind've forgotten too and I think I have a package waiting for me in my building's office).

The manual not fitting in the box is LOLOLOLOL though

Abylim

No I just don't understand the hate around people receiving the rewards they were promised. The game gets shit on constantly by people who never bothered to play it. Yeah the kickstarter had problems but saying they lied about the box is a false. I probably put more money in this than most people on neogaf but I gave the game a fair chance. Also yes it sucks that they delayed these so much but I'm not going to shit on it just to shit on it.

Doesn't seem like you are trying to understand why people are pissed. Just defending Inafune at every corner.

When I don't understand something I ask questions and educate myself.

It's great you're satisfied with the product, but this is cheap garbage. This is pretty much the lowest effort put into it, and it's a year late.

You really don't understand why some people are upset?

Wereroku

I backed it and this box fucking sucks. At least putting it together gave me more enjoyment than I got from the game itself, I guess?

Cool sorry you hated it. I thought the game was ok.

Doesn't seem like you are trying to understand why people are pissed. Just defending Inafune at every corner.

When I don't understand something I ask questions and educate myself.

It's great you're satisfied with the product, but this is cheap garbage. This is pretty much the lowest effort put into it, and it's a year late.

You really don't understand why some people are upset?

No I understand why people are upset this was delayed a lot and many didn't like the game. I don't understand the outrage about it being an empty box that people keep shouting. Also a lot of people are just making shit up at this point.

Also I'm not defending Inafune. He fucked up and I wouldn't back another one of his projects but they were always pretty clear about the initial designs of the game. I'm not saying he ran the damn thing well.

Pretty sure they were clear that the box wasn't going to include a game (still definitely not great, but they never made any bones about that). The manual not fitting is pretty bad though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm trying to be a little fair here as this game is an easy target. I absolutely always thought that just meant it would be the box itself because it's a digital game.

And needing to assemble it yourself is the correct thing to do because an empty box would get damaged in transit a lot easier.

... That being said, the manual not printing is hilariously embarrassing and really sums up everything about this fucking thing.

Wereroku

Why are you apologizing? Are you Inafune?

No he was answering me by saying he didn't like it. Wanted to reply to him since he was conversing with me.

How are you coming along on admitting you were wrong about the concept art? Still going to ignore it?

Wait I thought we were getting the USB in the 60$ version?

I thought so, too...but I sure didn't get one.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was extra...I thought I'd seen communication that it was added as a bonus for backers at a particular tier, but I guess not.

Type40

Yea this was always going to be an empty box and a emailed digital code. I bought it and expected nothing more. They didn't announce a physical retail release until months after the kickstarted ended.

katagai

Any word on if people have received the USB sticks yet? The ones that were supposed to be in the shape of a famicom or NES cartridge.

That cost $25 or so extra.

0tJiUBx.jpg

Wereroku

Any word on if people have received the USB sticks yet? The ones that were supposed to be in the shape of a famicom or NES cartridge.

That cost $25 or so extra.

0tJiUBx.jpg

They probably haven't shipped those out yet. Most kickstarters send things in phases depending on what is in the box.

Abylim

Cool sorry you hated it. I thought the game was ok.

No I understand why people are upset this was delayed a lot and many didn't like the game. I don't understand the outrage about it being an empty box that people keep shouting. Also a lot of people are just making shit up at this point.

Also I'm not defending Inafune. He fucked up and I wouldn't back another one of his projects but they were always pretty clear about the initial designs of the game. I'm not saying he ran the damn thing well.

People are outraged because he took the easiest route lol he could have tried to make up for the missteps, but instead did the least amount he could while fulfilling his legal obligations.

An empty box, that you have to assemble yourself, that the manual doesnt even fit in.

Maybe on its own, its funny, but looking at whats transpired, its no surprise that people are at the very least disappointed.

So to recap, what is usually a nice thank you to the fans for, you know, helping him make this game, was the bare minimum effort, and doesnt even function properly ( i dont know many game boxes that cant physically house the manual dude lol)

I wonder if Inafune even knows about all of these problems. I get the feeling he just sold the idea then moved on to his next thing and just assumed everyone else would take care of it.

Squishy3

How are you coming along on admitting you were wrong about the concept art? Still going to ignore it?
I mean, the concept art is kinda irrelevant when they produced a concept build with a better lighting engine than the actual release has, but for some either technical problem or limitation of the systems they were developing it for they had to dump it.

Wereroku

People are outraged because he took the easiest route lol he could have tried to make up for the missteps, but instead did the least amount he could while fulfilling his legal obligations.

An empty box, that you have to assemble yourself, that the manual doesnt even fit in.

Maybe on its own, its funny, but looking at whats transpired, its no surprise that people are at the very least disappointed.

So to recap, what is usually a nice thank you to the fans for, you know, helping him make this game, was the bare minimum effort, and doesnt even function properly ( i dont know many game boxes that cant physically house the manual dude lol)

I am not arguing that people shouldn't be upset. The whole campaign turned into a dumpster fire. But outrage from people who don't even know what the reward was supposed to be is a little extreme.

Berordn

I am not arguing that people shouldn't be upset. The whole campaign turned into a dumpster fire. But outrage from people who don't even know what the reward was supposed to be is a little extreme.

The reward's detailed description actually states that the manual would already be inside the box, which implies that the box would already be assembled, or at the very least the manual would fit the dimensions of the box.

I don't think most people are balking at the box being empty, but rather the other bits - that you have to put it together yourself and still doesn't do what it was originally promised to do. (The manual was also stated to be full color and, well... this doesn't seem to be anything but grayscale)

Abylim

And that is a difference of opinion.

I'm not seeing many people in here that dont know what the rewards are, and I think its entirely reasonable to be displeased with this entire situation.

To each their own, we just have different view points on the subject, clearly!

Some pretty off-base or disingenuous replies in this thread. Nobody paid $60 'for a box', they paid at the $60 *tier* that *includes* a physical box, in addition to whatever came before, so I guess at least the game and whatever.

They paid the difference between this tier and whatever the next tier down was at worst, for a box. And they got a box. If they were expecting a second physical copy of the game in addition to the download I've already assumed they received, then that's kinda on them.

Also, seems like a not-so-crazy-really way to ship a box to me.

That the manual doesn't fit and these boxes took like a year to ship, ok, that's dumb. The rest has just been people wanting to shit on something.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I mean they worded it exactly how it was shipped if anything its a perfect representation of the "absolute minimum" work ethic this dev team had.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
No mention of physical game cartridge/disc and backers didn't catch this before they pledged? lmao
I knew exactly what I was getting for that backer level. I mean I regret backing this to the tune of $120 but I knew the box was just a box.

Top Bottom