• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New In-Game Footage of GTA V

Lame title... as soon as I realized it was the epsilon junk I was like "oh wtf."

A lot of this is recycled from GTA:SA, too.

Man, San Andreas absolutely kills it IMO. The Radio commercials were so great

I kind of agree about the humor in the older GTA games... but Princess Robot Bubblegum from The Ballad of Gay Tony slayed me though...

Sajjaja

wutnejny.png

Even though I was already hyped, I somehow want GTA V much more than I did before. That RPG music, that R* humor...

re: GTA humor: It isn't always good, laugh-out-loud funny, but I really do appreciate the assault of cheesy GTA humor after playing and seeing recent video games which take themselves too seriously.

Wait, people don't think this is funny?! Hahaha, are you guys kidding me...

The music, the tenants, jesus fucking christ guys... lighten up. It is fantastic that R's version of scientology is in the game.

Fjordson

I'm not sure how this is less funny than older GTA talk radio...this sort of is older GTA talk radio humour. The leader had an entire interview on Lazlow's show in San Andreas...

GTA seems to get a lot of hate ( well, here anyway)
GTA IV gets a lot of hate everywhere, as the series kind of lost its way and got away from the 'fun' when it tried to become too serious (with crappy driving physics, not want you really want when you warn the bad guy you're going to kill him so he can jump in his car before you can move your character, then waiting for the part of the chase when a truck or something pulls out to get in your way before you can actually shoot without wasting your ammo because now the bullets can actually do some damage). Even Dan Houser admitted as much. That, and the fact that the gaming press were falling over each other to give it a 10/10. Most people in hindsight agree it's not a 10/10 game.

GTA V looks promising however, a return to the fun!

Edit: This is probably my favorite gta radio bit:

'You asshole, what were you doing with my sister in that hot tub?'

sunnz

GTA IV gets a lot of hate everywhere, as the series kind of lost its way and got away from the 'fun' when it tried to become too serious (with crappy driving physics, not want you really want when you warn the bad guy you're going to kill him so he can jump in his car before you can move your character, then waiting for the part of the chase when a truck or something pulls out to get in your way before you can actually shoot without wasting your ammo because now the bullets can actually do some damage). Even Dan Houser admitted as much. That, and the fact that the gaming press were falling over each other to give it a 10/10. Most people in hindsight agree it's not a 10/10 game.

Disagree with the driving physics a lot, to me they are not only the best thing about IV but the best thing I have experience this gen of open world games, not perfect but still pretty damn amazing, sucks that you couldn't try and understand how the physics work and didn't figure out IV is not like other driving games in terms of physics...

I can see the hate coming from the 10/10 reviews, did not deserver that I agree but still the best open world game this gen (imo), mainly due to the MP and the fun I had on that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

What most people? People still constantly buy GTA 4. Or is this an internet 'oh we didn't like it so everyone else must hate it' thing?

Fjordson

GTA seems to get a lot of hate ( well, here anyway)
Oh that's for certain. Which is fine, their opinion is irellevant to me, I just find it odd to say this is lame compared to older GTA's when it's a spoof that was used to tease San Andrews almost a decade ago.

Disagree with the driving physics a lot, to me they are not only the best thing about IV but the best thing I have experience this gen of open world games, not perfect but still pretty damn amazing, sucks that you couldn't try and understand how the physics work and didn't figure out IV is not like other driving games in terms of physics...

I can see the hate coming from the 10/10 reviews, did not deserver that I agree but still the best open world game this gen (imo), mainly due to the MP and the fun I had on that.
Rockstar has already apologized for the poor driving physics, no need to defend them.

sunnz

Rockstar has already apologized for the poor driving physics, no need to defend them.

I am disappointed they apologised, I love the physics ( could be improved) and because of what they did I am worried they will ruin it and change it to be more user friendly ( as in easy, not as in-depth, no effort, )

Nothing to do with me loving Rockstar, I just love the physic, which is why I also would play mafia 2 over SR3 anyday just because of the amazing car physics in that to. In games like JC2, SR or SD I did not spend much time driving as the driving physics sucked a lot, were as in IV/MAFIA 2 85% of my time was me just driving around having a blast.

Nothing to do with me loving Rockstar, I just love the physic, which is why I also would play mafia 2 over SR3 anyday just because of the amazing car physics in that to. In games like JC2, SR or SD I did not spend much time driving as the driving physics sucked a lot, were as in IV/MAFIA 2 85% of my time was me just driving around having a blast.
I kind of put this in with the 'weight' of Killzone 2's guns, or the aiming of Uncharted 3. People can get used to them, and even end up preferring them. What sucks is back in the days of San Andres, it was easy to change a text file to tweak the physics. I think they locked that down for GTA IV, and assume they'll do the same for GTA V. Too bad, as you'd be able to set it to your own preference.

sunnz

I kind of put this in with the 'weight' of Killzone 2's guns, or the aiming of Uncharted 3. People can get used to them, and even end up preferring them. What sucks is back in the days of San Andres, it was easy to change a text file to tweak the physics. I think they locked that down for GTA IV, and assume they'll do the same for GTA V. Too bad, as you'd be able to set it to your own preference.

IV has many many mods for vehicles and the handling line can be edited for cars to make them handle how you want.

The iv car mods have the type of improved handling I hope V has which is awesome and why IF rockstar do change (ruin) the handling, hopefully it is moddable.

I went from SA to IV instantly and did dislike the iv car physics at first, once I got used to them and understood how it all works, I just loved them because of how indepth they are, mades everyting a lot more hectic ( racing ,getting chased) and allowed for a lot better cruising as well since you had a lot more control over the cars speed and how much it turns.

IV handling has ruined me in terms of other games with cars. I mean IV has better car handling than some actual racing games...

PS, I am one of those who liked the way KZ2 controls worked haha.

oneils

The writing was never very good in GTA. I think, though, GTAIV was probably the worst in that respect. The acting was pretty bad too. Just actors shouting a lot.

This fake ad does seem forced. I never really played these games for the story, anyway. Still excited to get my hands on it.

UrbanRats

I kind of put this in with the 'weight' of Killzone 2's guns, or the aiming of Uncharted 3. People can get used to them, and even end up preferring them.

You make it sound like people are delusional about IV's physics.
I like those physics more (for the most part) simply because i find that they offer a more nuanced level of handling than the "press handbrake to turn 90°" most of these games use, which i find incredibly off putting.
It had some short comings, mainly everything was not responsive and fast enough, but it's not a black and white situation where you're either for or against.

I liked it more than past GTA's, but still think it needed some tweaking.
Besides, Dan Houser didn't say the handling was shit, he said it was too "boat-like" and that they tweaked it to be more realistic (running more physics on it, no less), which does not mean it didn't have any positive element to it.

Also i don't think they "locked it down", you can still modify the handling from a text file, but the physics being more complex, you don't have that kind of freedom for obvious reasons.
--
I think people (a niche of hardcore gamers, that is) are jaded against GTA, especially its writing, because of the absurd reviews.
I hate GTA4's story, but i think R*'s writing is absolutely not worse than the majority of videogames i play with, on a daily basis, some of which are also considered "awesome" on this very board, so i do think when it comes to writing (whether drama or comedy) R*'s stuff get an extra round of scrutiny, on GAF and similar demographic of gamers, if they weren't top dogs i'm sure they'd be regarded more favorably.
Which is fine, i don't think they (R*) are particularly witted or anything like that, but they have their very good moments, also people are entitled to their opinion so it's all good.

this seems to be a parody on Scientology. i bet this religion/cult will be present in game as a story related mission and featured in commercials in the radio stations.

oneils

I think people (a niche of hardcore gamers, that is) are jaded against GTA, especially its writing, because of the absurd reviews.
I hate GTA4's story, but i think R*'s writing is absolutely not worse than the majority of videogames i play with, on a daily basis, some of which are also considered "awesome" on this very board, so i do think when it comes to writing (whether drama or comedy) R*'s stuff get an extra round of scrutiny, on GAF and similar demographic of gamers, if they weren't top dogs i'm sure they'd be regarded more favorably.
Which is fine, i don't think they (R*) are particularly witted or anything like that, but they have their very good moments, also people are entitled to their opinion so it's all good.

You make some good points. I think the production values always leave me expecting more. But, I guess you are right in a sense. Relatively speaking, the writing is not too bad for a video game.

You make some good points. I think the production values always leave me expecting more. But, I guess you are right in a sense. Relatively speaking, the writing is not too bad for a video game.
Yup, not Oscar worthy, but still better than a lot of other games. I like the story in 'The Lost and the Damned', a good mix of serious and fun.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm willing to bet my best testicle that the money taken from heists will be laundered or hidden behind the Scientology like religion the Epsilon Program.

I can't wait to see their scientology parody in the game.

The little islands and stuff were cool. Hope there are lots of those in the game.

Ryuhza

Banned
There's going to be nighttime in this game? Fuck, I hated that in Red Dead. Why would you ever have nighttime in your game Rockstar? It's dark.

Pre-order cancelled.

KyleN

Banned
Something will definatly happen next week, on GTA IVs 5 year anniversary.. Trailer 3 perhaps?
"We invite you to visit one of our enlightenment centers. Directions will be provided in one week’s time."

Fjordson

Something will definatly happen next week, on GTA IVs 5 year anniversary.. Trailer 3 perhaps?
"We invite you to visit one of our enlightenment centers. Directions will be provided in one week’s time."
Ooh, didn't know that was next week. Another trailer would be great.

UrbanRats

For some Gaffers he will probably look 100% identical ;p

On topic: i like the idea of this video. But it wasn't done in a really funny or clever way imo.

Nice water.

Video itself was long-winded and irritating.
It's not a video, it's a screensaver.

I'm not expecting trailer 3, but i wasn't expecting Zwei so soon either.

Top Bottom