• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Caught up on this thread and purchased Love Letter based on the reviews. I can't wait to give it a shot.

My most anticipated game remains the dice version of Pandemic called "Pandemic: The Cure." It's supposed to be out later this year.

Oh man! I just ordered the first two expansion kits for Cosmic Encounter. The game is so good!

Anyway, did one of you guys play Seasons? A friend is recommending it, but I am bit scared to buy it. Board game geek's recommended player count is 2. And I do not want to pay that much for a board game which is too boring for 4 players.
I've only ever played Seasons with 4 and it's works well. As for the "Best with" feature on BGG, you can click "view results" and see how people have voted. Just because it says best with x just means it has more votes in the poll. The other player counts might be close in votes.

The reason why people on bgg like it with two is because it becomes pure strategy with the card drafting mechanic. You know what your opponent has and they know what you have. The game works equally well with the three and four.

Thanks to who suggested Dead of Winter. I've looked up some YouTube videos of it being played and talked about, there's even a half hour manual replacement video.
It looks really good.

Faiz

We had our first game of Caverna last night. In the great Agricola vs Caverna debate I fall squarely on the Caverna side. Maybe I'll feel differently after getting a few more plays in but for now, Caverna all the way.

That said, while I'm a sucker for tons of components all over the place, I still agree it would have been smarter to limit the game to 5 players and reduce the number of components required. Not sure I can see ever doing a seven player game and the burden the massive amount of components has placed on production seems like it isn't worth it.

clockpunk

Anyone have any experience using BGG's Marketplace to get a game? Probably more for nostalgia's sake than anything, but I really want another copy of Heroquest since who knows what happened to the one I had as a kid. Ebay / Amazon sellers asking crazy amounts, BGG seemed like the best option since it's a game-exclusive site - most users seem to be like-minded individuals in it more for the games than profit. .

Seems like it's well managed enough, but I can see the potential for some shenanigans anyways.

Any feedback one way or another?

I've bought, sold, and traded many things over the BGG marketplace - only one incident of being ripped off by a user who that same weekend ripped off about 40 other UK members... but one bastard out of c.50 is very good!

Leunam

Small game night last night. Won at Boss Monster, second time I've played it. One of my friends doesn't enjoy it at all but I think it comes down to how he's putting together his dungeons and unlucky draws. He was attracting fighters but didn't have a good combination for dishing out damage, which is odd in fighter dungeons. Some people also had complaints about not enough chances to draw cards and epic level heroes dealing two damage or giving up two souls for how much health they have. Me and one other guy focused almost exclusively on one type of treasure which is why I think we had an easier time of it.

We also got to try a game one of them has been working on. Can't talk much about it but it's enjoyable. Small tweaks needed here and there.

Like Boss Monster theme and gameplay, but the game really can swing wildly real quick. Have had 2 games where the losing player turns it around and wins in one single turn.

Leunam

I can definitely agree with that. I didn't have much of a presence in the first game but I swung that around over the course of two turns to take the win.

Neverfade

I'm interested in getting Dead of Winter but fear it would make BSG obsolete. What do you think?

I'm fairly stoked for DoW, but it won't replace BSG (for me) for the simple fact that it'll suffer from the same crippling weakness as a lot of other semi-coops: Since everyone has their own individual victory condition, one particularly salty asshole can throw the whole thing for everyone if it's clear they won't win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm fairly stoked for DoW, but it won't replace BSG (for me) for the simple fact that it'll suffer from the same crippling weakness as a lot of other semi-coops: Since everyone has their own individual victory condition, one particularly salty asshole can throw the whole thing for everyone if it's clear they won't win.
Yeah I feel like for any semi co-op to work everyone has to accept that group loss is the worst condition. (I don't know dead of winter but for legendary for example.)

I've only ever played Seasons with 4 and it's works well. As for the "Best with" feature on BGG, you can click "view results" and see how people have voted. Just because it says best with x just means it has more votes in the poll. The other player counts might be close in votes.
Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition will be the next big board game I will get. We are carving for a game which has to be played for a whole day. I am scared and excited to play it...

Farmboy

DescentGAF, I'm a session or two away from wrapping up The Shadow Rune and my group has enjoyed it immensely. What's the best follow-up campaign? Here are the criteria:

- Would like it to have a slightly more involved plot than The Shadow Rune.

- Would like some good new monsters for the Overlord to play with as the basic set is growing stale.

- Would like it to be as different from The Shadow Rune as possible.

As you can guess from the above, we'd probably be primarily interested in a big-box expansion. But! If the consensus amongst you guys is that one of the smaller expansions is a must-play and the pinnacle of all things Descent, we're certainly open to a 'palate cleanser' before diving into a new big campaign.

What's the best follow-up campaign?
We're almost done the first Act and I'm itching to get more too. My birthday's in July and if I get some money from the parents and can convince my group to toss in $15 each, I'm seriously considering getting everything.

I hear Shadow of Nerekhall is the best between that and Labyrinth of Ruin. For small expansions, I hear it's a bit of a toss up. Trollfens favours the Overlord and Lair of the Wyrm favours the heroes. But... I am really intrigued at what Manor of Ravens, which is out in July, will have in store for content.

Razorwind

So what is your guys opinion on Pathfinder Adventure Card game? I like co-op game and it seems like LOTR LCG but without all the pain of building decks.

Is it worth investing the time and money? We sort of gave up on LOTR, it's just too complicate for the casual players.

I have bought all 5 expansion adventure packs so far, and played through with my two friends in 3-player mode.

My likes:
The game feels pretty accessible for a dice-rolling RPG, and the ability to improve and customize your character over time is very nice.

Solo is also pretty possible as a single hero, or to multi hand and control 2 or 4 heroes at one go.

It is very replayable and you can try new classes / party composition.

There are some interesting mechanics on classes, locations and sometimes even bosses. All this makes a varied experience each time you play.

My dislikes:
The later expansion decks are a bit fuzzy in terms of polish and design.There is a number of card errata to keep track of and rules that need clarification by going into Paizo forums or FAQ.

Balance seems a bit off in this current deck at times, with most characters just maxing out their core stat. Some mobs/locations at the later scenarios go crazy on wisdom and constitution checks, which made my two friends pretty frustrated.

Admin work. Every time you start a new session, there is quite a lot of decks to shuffle and then to allocate X amount to each location. I would say setup is not as crazy as Mage Knight, but it does get tedious after a while.

Some print production issues that are later fixed by going to a US-manufacturer with strong QC. (But man, some of my cards' backs are of different color, this irks me very much)

My final thoughts:
1) I know my dislikes are much lengthier than my dislikes, but I still love the game. I love the mechanics, the interaction between classes, and the varied locations and bosses that give a new experience every time.

2) The designer and his team has been very active on the Paizo forums, listening to feedback and implementing changes. I would say deck 5 and deck 6 shows that they have been looking into the players concerns.

3) They are going to "reboot" and rebalance the entire game in the new adventure Skull and Shackles. They are making the stat-checks more varied and distributed. (Suddenly the barbarian might want some dex too), and of course raising the difficulty slightly.

4) My two friends definitely prefer this over LOTR, but my confidence is pretty shaken and I am not too sure whether to go head in into the new Skull and Shackles adventure myself. But, if you finally decide to do it, I would suggest you start from the new adventure.

You would not miss out anything, because the characters don't carry over and everyone is recommended to start a new one.

Links to watch/view before you decide:

Mike Selinker's blog on the new adventure

Interview With Mike Selinker Concerning Skull and Shackles

Skull and shackles preview

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I got to play a few matches this weekend :D

14466822526_2eb5ecd62b_b.jpg

Game has a ton of bits

14303345758_2786dc6fd8_b.jpg

I do like it. Very nice mechanics and pretty easy to understand, although we had to go tothe rules a few times and look up some rulings on bankruptcy. It reminds me of Mage Knight in that you are kind of playing against the board with little player interaction but that might change once we get mroe than 3 people. Or, I might go for straight combat next time.

As a side note, anyone know what is going on with Cthulu Wars or where I can go to get some legit updates on the progress of its release?

Neverfade

For the first time in many years I feel the SdJ nailed the nominees.

From the game of the year picks, I have not played Splendor yet but Camel Up and Concept are both amazing, even if the latter is more of an activity than a game.

For the Kennerspiel des Jahres, I likewise think Concordia and Istanbul are fantastic. I haven't had a chance to try Rococo yet but perhaps I should put it on my list.

I think Istanbul is the easy winner though. It delivers that chewy euro efficiency with zero of the count-a-million-vps caloric intake. Delicious.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have found that in most my games of Eclipse the players don't interact with each other until the final round. The game could almost use one more round.

I have found that in most my games of Eclipse the players don't interact with each other until the final round. The game could almost use one more round.

The more player, the more they are forced to interact with each other it seems. Kinda same thing happens in Twilight Imperium since you have more space between each race and they skirt around each other often till the final moments.

fenners

The more player, the more they are forced to interact with each other it seems. Kinda same thing happens in Twilight Imperium since you have more space between each race and they skirt around each other often till the final moments.

Yep. 4 players, you're two tiles away from everyone. There should be competition for those ring 1 tiles at the very least, ring 2 in most games, unless people are playing conservatively.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

TI has player interaction that doesn't involve combat though.

Delodax

We had our first game of Caverna last night. In the great Agricola vs Caverna debate I fall squarely on the Caverna side. Maybe I'll feel differently after getting a few more plays in but for now, Caverna all the way.

That said, while I'm a sucker for tons of components all over the place, I still agree it would have been smarter to limit the game to 5 players and reduce the number of components required. Not sure I can see ever doing a seven player game and the burden the massive amount of components has placed on production seems like it isn't worth it.

Haven't been able to get too many rounds of Caverna going myself, but I try to coax my friends into it every now and then. At this rate I won't tire before an expansion at least :p

DodgerSan

I've bought, sold, and traded many things over the BGG marketplace - only one incident of being ripped off by a user who that same weekend ripped off about 40 other UK members... but one bastard out of c.50 is very good!

Out of interest, could you recommend a postal service cheaper than Royal Mail? I have some box sets to sell but the postage is getting on for £10, when the game is £15.

Preordered Dead of Winter from Plaid Hat after my wife showed some excitement for it. :D

Good man! I've had that on order for a bit now and very excited for it. My only concern is that the pre-order character almost seems a little overpowered compared to the other survivors although the disposable nature of characters in that game will hopefully make that not an issue.

Very successful day at the game shop yesterday. Me and a mate drove in to see if they had any wave 4 X-Wing ships out yet and although they didn't have them they did randomly have a bunch of starter sets for AvX Dicemasters. To think only the day before I was considering dropping £20 on Amazon for the same set,

SumGamer

Got Nations recently. After a few plays and getting the hang of the mechanics and finding and fixing misunderstanding rules, friends totally hooked. Ability to always turn the game around in every round is very welcomed. The Military - Stability balance are quite nice. So far nobody to manage a good game with peaceful nation yet but most of us handle war quite well.

We also play Caverna for the first time yesterday and turning out pretty good. Many still like the cutthroat nature in Nations but some really welcome the non-agressive of Caverna. Looking forward to the next game soon.

Played a Star Trek Attack Wing: Borg Collective OP 2 match against a friend of mine yesterday. It's the Battle of Wolf 359, a cooperative/competitive event where you fight against a game element (the Borg Cube) instead of each other trying to deal more damage than the other, before you are inevitably destroyed. He built a Federation fleet and I went with a Klingon one.

It was fantastic. I really approve of the different scenarios Wizkids has been coming up with for this game. In this case, the cooperative feel was quite enjoyable despite having the competitive element. We approached the Cube quickly, both jockeying for position to force the opponent to receive the brunt of the early attacks while also setting up our attack runs. My force was capable of considerably more effective damage, from the Neghvar Flagship with Gowron boosting the twin Vorchas to either side. I had a rather large lead in damage before a really brutal round when my cloak was down left me unable to recloak and I was dispatched by successive attacks, my last Ship shamefully exploding from a console fire I couldn't put out.

My opponent lasted three more rounds but couldn't quite make up the difference and his last ship fell, leaving the score 74-71 in my favor.

Hopefully someone, anyone, can stop them before they reach Earth.

Played a Star Trek Attack Wing: Borg Collective OP 2 match against a friend of mine yesterday. It's the Battle of Wolf 359, a cooperative/competitive event where you fight against a game element (the Borg Cube) instead of each other trying to deal more damage than the other, before you are inevitably destroyed. He built a Federation fleet and I went with a Klingon one.

It was fantastic. I really approve of the different scenarios Wizkids has been coming up with for this game. In this case, the cooperative feel was quite enjoyable despite having the competitive element. We approached the Cube quickly, both jockeying for position to force the opponent to receive the brunt of the early attacks while also setting up our attack runs. My force was capable of considerably more effective damage, from the Neghvar Flagship with Gowron boosting the twin Vorchas to either side. I had a rather large lead in damage before a really brutal round when my cloak was down left me unable to recloak and I was dispatched by successive attacks, my last Ship shamefully exploding from a console fire I couldn't put out.

My opponent lasted three more rounds but couldn't quite make up the difference and his last ship fell, leaving the score 74-71 in my favor.

Hopefully someone, anyone, can stop them before they reach Earth.

That sounds rather fun. I decided since I was so heavily invested in X Wing I'd probably skip Star Trek Attack Wing.

Good man! I've had that on order for a bit now and very excited for it. My only concern is that the pre-order character almost seems a little overpowered compared to the other survivors although the disposable nature of characters in that game will hopefully make that not an issue.

Yes, interesting how he'll work out. Looking forward to it though!

That sounds rather fun. I decided since I was so heavily invested in X Wing I'd probably skip Star Trek Attack Wing.

My venue posted some game times for X Wing Campaign Missions. I'm assuming those are the Corvette ones? I dabble in X Wing slightly but only have about 8 ships or so. Hopefully FFG picks up this trend of cool scenarios.

Hello Board Game GAF.
Over the past 2 months I've been building a board game collection because in April my girlfriend and I said "All our friends talk about getting together to play board games but no one ever follows through. Fuck it, we'll host it" So now, on the first Saturday of every month we have an open house table top night here in Queens. We have hosted two so far and the third is about a week away. And they have been incredible successful. Our friends show up, I have catered food for them, we catch up on the last few weeks of our lives and then we play.

I think I've pretty much got all the games that interested me, based on reading reviews and watching Youtube videos. Before starting this collection all we had were the Scene It games, Monopoly, Boggle, Rack-O and Apples to Apples. I've been watching Amazon to see if I can get a cheap-ish copy of Unspeakable Words and Betrayal at the House on the Hill but nothing has popped up yet.

Here is what we have now:

Apples to Apples
Balderdash
Bang!
Beer Money
Boggle
Cards Against Humanity
Chinese Checkers
Clue
Coup
Cthulhu Gloom
Cthulhu Gloom: Unpleasant Dreams
Cutthroat Caverns
Desperadoes of Dice Town
Dixit
Dominoes
For Sale
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island
Ghooost!
Gloom
Gloom: Unfortunate Expeditions
Gloom: Unquiet Dead
Gloom: Unwelcomed Guests
Going, Going, Gone!
Hanabi
If Im Going Down
Jaipur
Jamaica
King of Tokyo
King of Tokyo: Halloween
King of Tokyo: Power Up
Lets Kill
Lets Kill: A Pretty Corpse
Lets Kill: Crime Scene Investigation
Loonacy
Love Letter
Lunch Money
Lunch Money: Sticks and Stones
Mascarade
Monopoly
No Thanks!
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Operation
Pandemic
Panic on Wall Street
Pay Day
Phase 10
Quelf Card Game
Rack-O
The Resistance
The Resistance: Avalon
Ricochet Robots
Saboteur
Saboteur 2
Say Anything
Scene It? 007
Scene It? 007 Collectors Edition
Scene It? HBO
Scene It? Movie Deluxe
Scrabble
Smash Up
Splendor
Super Big Bottle
Taboo
Telestrations
Ticket to Ride
Times Up! Deluxe
Times Up Title Recall
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
UNO
Wits and Wagers Family
Wits and Wagers Party
Zombicide

My venue posted some game times for X Wing Campaign Missions. I'm assuming those are the Corvette ones? I dabble in X Wing slightly but only have about 8 ships or so. Hopefully FFG picks up this trend of cool scenarios.

Each of the larger ship packs has come with unique scenarios, believe the game night kits also have some special scenarios in it. But they don't really promote a OP as Wizkids tries to.

HIGH DEF JEFF:

Betrayal at house on the hill seems to have a re-release in a month or so.

I'm very excited for that because I've wanted it ever since I caught the TableTop episode. Apparently that episode caused it to become hard to find at a reasonable price. Personally I can't wait!

Edit, wow, listening to a piece on NPR right now about table top games!

MrChom

Oh man! I just ordered the first two expansion kits for Cosmic Encounter. The game is so good!

Anyway, did one of you guys play Seasons? A friend is recommending it, but I am bit scared to buy it. Board game geek's recommended player count is 2. And I do not want to pay that much for a board game which is too boring for 4 players.

Seasons is pretty good at 4, never played it with fewer. I like having the expansions there as they just bring up the card pool and lower the chance of repeats, and make the draft more interesting.

Faiz

HIGH DEF JEFF:

Betrayal at house on the hill seems to have a re-release in a month or so.

I'm very excited for that because I've wanted it ever since I caught the TableTop episode. Apparently that episode caused it to become hard to find at a reasonable price. Personally I can't wait!

Yeah it's pretty crazy what people have been paying for Betrayal since that episode of TableTop. I think there was another printing in the interim and them it went OOP again. Craziness.

fenners

Yep, heard that too when driving into work. Was a nice wee piece - I liked how the journalist's boyfriend ended up being a closet boardgamer. it was a little "wow, grown ups play games?!" initially but it got over it.

Yeah it's pretty crazy what people have been paying for Betrayal since that episode of TableTop. I think there was another printing in the interim and them it went OOP again. Craziness.

Yep, they can't keep it in stock, keeps selling out & the secondary market ends up with crazy prices.

joelseph

Friend was in town for a conference and surprised me with an impromptu game night. Played some Boss Monster and Dominion Intrigue. Got the urge to spend so we walked over to Cat and Mouse. I got Dominion Seaside and Cheaty Mage, he picked up String Railway. Went back and played a "shipwreck" game of Seaside. Good times all around.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My brother in law moved to Dallas about 2 years ago. Then I moved to NYC.

Twilight Struggle has sat unplayed ever since then.

:(

In any case.. playtest session tonight. Some very cool/weird games from Japan I'm hoping are as good as they look.

Thanks for the info on Betrayal. On Monday I saw one on Amazon for 50 bucks via Wayfair. I bought it knowing that an email was sure to follow saying its out of stock. Got that email Tuesday morning. Oh well.

I see Cash n Gunz has a new version coming out this summer. I have to get that too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Had a match of Game of Thrones go the distance with the winner being decided on the very last move order :D

I misplayed 2 times that cost me greatly and managed to bonehead myself out of victory (Baratheon), BUT Stark fucked me over mid game kinda hard. He was in the lead all the way to the end but he didn't notice the chain of ships I had out and I moved a lone footman into an undefended Castle that he had. That tied him with Greyjoy and since Greyjoy had more Strongholds he won lol

Great times

Thanks for the info on Betrayal. On Monday I saw one on Amazon for 50 bucks via Wayfair. I bought it knowing that an email was sure to follow saying its out of stock. Got that email Tuesday morning. Oh well.

I see Cash n Gunz has a new version coming out this summer. I have to get that too.

Oh good, always liked Cash N Guns for a silly party game, new edition sounds better too

Karkador

Banned
I think I've pretty much got all the games that interested me, based on reading reviews and watching Youtube videos. Before starting this collection all we had were the Scene It games, Monopoly, Boggle, Rack-O and Apples to Apples. I've been watching Amazon to see if I can get a cheap-ish copy of Unspeakable Words and Betrayal at the House on the Hill but nothing has popped up yet.

Impossible; there are always more games! :p

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Yeah I feel like for any semi co-op to work everyone has to accept that group loss is the worst condition. (I don't know dead of winter but for legendary for example.)

This is how it works in our games. Granted, each group will be different, but most people's personal goal only conflicts with the group goal a LITTLE. For example, in one game my wife needed:
1. The Group to Achieve it's goal
2. More people than any other player

So, throwing the group under the bus is pointless unless you think someone else can tow the line. This meant that she was on board 99% of the time, but at one point let new people into the colony when we were short on food trying to secure her win, because she knew someone else would pick up her slack. However, we COULD have just voted her out of the colony and it would have made victory8 easier as well.

Meanwhile, I just needed guns. So I wasn't conflicting against the group goal at all, I was just searching the police station a few too many times.

So usually, the conflict is so slight, it's JUST enough to cause a little inner turmoil, but sometimes... well... things go apeshit.

The game is pretty great. I've only played 4 times, but it feels like a classic to me. YMMV.

Top Bottom