• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
That...is a thing of beauty. Well done, and I'm beyond jealous. Looking for a table just like that, but unlike you, I have zero carpentry (or basic assembly) skills whatsoever.

Cheers!

Thanks, but it really wasn't that hard. measure, cut, screw together. no corner cuts(except for leg braces). Everything was straight cut and simple. Hardest part was just having the manpower to hold it all together while I screwed it together, as it is a rather large monster of a table.
I have had it built and varnished for two days now, but still haven't made time to play anything on it yet.

I did just buy Mage Knight on Amazon, and it is supposed to be here today, so I think I will break it in with that game. Ill post pics with the game all sprawled out, we will see how much room it actually has.

Icefire1424

Thanks, but it really wasn't that hard. measure, cut, screw together. no corner cuts(except for leg braces). Everything was straight cut and simple. Hardest part was just having the manpower to hold it all together while I screwed it together, as it is a rather large monster of a table.
I have had it built and varnished for two days now, but still haven't made time to play anything on it yet.

Might be an omen, but I just acquired a rather nice circular saw that begs some action. Did you come up with the plans yourself, or get 'em from somewhere? Love the look of that, but I would definitely have to go a bit smaller. Wonder if I could somehow put the legs on hinges to fold 'em away for storage when not in use...

...why do I have a bad feeling this is the start of a story I tell my kids / grandkids in the future about how I lost a thumb...

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Might be an omen, but I just acquired a rather nice circular saw that begs some action. Did you come up with the plans yourself, or get 'em from somewhere? Love the look of that, but I would definitely have to go a bit smaller. Wonder if I could somehow put the legs on hinges to fold 'em away for storage when not in use...

...why do I have a bad feeling this is the start of a story I tell my kids / grandkids in the future about how I lost a thumb...

I came up with them myself, looking at some of the simpler Geek Chic tables and trying to copy them as close as I could, with the simplest amount of cutting and assembly.

I posted a few posts up with the whole process and more pics via a link.

Also, I already am making plans for a miniature version that will be a coffee table to play games on, with removable felt insert and glass top!

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Start selling these, you probably have a faster turn around than geekchic

I was thinking the same thing. Although I have no where near the craftmanship or attention to detail as they do, my table is WAY cheaper, and is pretty good all things considered. Does Geek Chic have any competition, really?

I think most gamers would clearly prefer functionality over the crazy prices and 1 year+ wait for a piece from Geekchic. Advertise at your local game stores perhaps, I'm sure you will get people interested

Ohnonono

I haven't yet played a Nuts! game, but their production quality looks amazing. How is Phantom Fury?

Still reading rules and have not had time to hit the table yet. So far so good though. Looks like a good solitaire, though hard as all get out. No doubt I will have a couple rules flubs first few turns but its not bad at all. Looking at it right now I just have no idea how I could ever win the game. I will figure it out though.

Faiz

I was thinking the same thing. Although I have no where near the craftmanship or attention to detail as they do, my table is WAY cheaper, and is pretty good all things considered. Does Geek Chic have any competition, really?

By way of specializing in tables made for gaming? Not really, but most people would do well to talk to a local furniture maker as well, if they are looking for something specialized and high-end.

Tom Vassal did a review of his GC table early this year and I have to say that it actually convinced me to NOT get a Geek Chic table. I was considering ordering an emissary, same model Vassel's, and what I saw did not look like $3000+ craftsmanship to me.

Icefire1424

This thread has prompted me to start perusing Amazon for books on basic woodworking. Was probably well past due anyways, but I'd like to think I'd be able to get some wood, follow a few steps and end up with a table that doesn't immediately fall apart anyways.

Also, we need more pics of games, tables, gaming rooms, etc in here. Stat!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played Talisman for the first time. You are completely at the mercy of the board and your dice. Random: The Game. Pretty funny though.

Anyone have experience with both Twilight Imperium and Eclipse? Different enough games?

fenners

Anyone have experience with both Twilight Imperium and Eclipse? Different enough games?

Yeah, they're similar but different in scope/perspective.

TI3 has more ways to uniquely customize/build out your fleets, more diplomatic options & general "screw you" options. It also takes a lot longer to play & is a lot harder to teach IMO.

Eclipse is a euro-take on the 4x genre, is much easier to play & teach, but still has a nice variety of tech to build ship designs etc. I love it.

hat_hair

Eclipse is a euro-take on the 4x genre, is much easier to play & teach, but still has a nice variety of tech to build ship designs etc. I love it.

I love the Eclipse Ship design aspect, it has a real Rock-Paper-Scissors dimension to it, where you can build a ship specifically to beat some other guy's fleet, but then he can change his ship layout to beat yours instead, even if the ships have encountered each other already that turn. Getting into a war with someone is not to be taken lightly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
By way of specializing in tables made for gaming? Not really, but most people would do well to talk to a local furniture maker as well, if they are looking for something specialized and high-end.

Tom Vassal did a review of his GC table early this year and I have to say that it actually convinced me to NOT get a Geek Chic table. I was considering ordering an emissary, same model Vassel's, and what I saw did not look like $3000+ craftsmanship to me.

Yeah I really wonder if there even is a way of making a good "gaming" table as opposed to just a good table. We have a Calligaris table that's extendable and I really wouldn't ever want to swap it out for anything else. A lot of the features I see on GC are just specific to certain games or have these storage features that I don't see as being very useful unless you really just play the same one or two games.

There is a NR thread here too; it's no reddit but it gets a few posts a week :p

And yep I live down here. Live-play wise we probably play at work 2-4 nights/week and then I try to make the Game Kastle tournament every month or two just to not get too rusty between big events.

Thanks y'all. Totally forgot about the thread. I'm only rocking 1 core + first pack, so I'm a total noob. See you in the Netrunner thread!

Lost Post incoming!
Hello everyone, I am in need of some guidance on some board games I plan on purchasing.
As in, if you would advise to not purchase it or purchase something else if there is perhaps something better. Also if you think I'm on the right track, please encourage me as well.

I have friends to play games with, as well as a gaming store that has open game nights where I can always find a group. I also have four children that will grow up with gaming in the house, but only two that are of age or close to age.

I've been doing some research: reading reviews, watching Dice Tower videos, etc. and have come up with a list that I think will suit my tastes. With that said, I also don't want to just go out and drop a ton of coin all at once. I don't plan on buying all of these immediately, but perhaps in three or four waves if I were to buy everything on this list.

I'm already very much into Magic The Gathering but now that I've spent hundreds of dollars on cards I'm ready to slow that down quite a bit and “buy into” a lasting board game library.

Lets start with what I already own and enjoy:

Battlestar Galactica (base game)
Spartacus (base game)
X-Wing Miniatures (two core sets and a lot of other ships)
Zombicide (base game)

Here is what I plan on getting, other than listing the X-Wing Minis because let's face it, I just buy all of them.

Spartacus: The Serpents and The Wolf (expansion)
Zombicide: Toxic City Mall (expansion)
Zombicide: Prison Outbreak (expansion)
Betrayal at house on the hill
Memoir '44
Tannhauser + expansions
Bang! Dice
Jamaica
King of Tokyo + expansions
Legendary Marvel Deck Building Game + Dark City + Paint the Town Red
Level 7 Omega Protocol
BSG: Daybreak (expansion)
Castle Ravenloft
Legend of Drizzt
Eldritch Horror
51st State
Netrunner
Werewolf and/or Resistance

Yeah that's a lot... but maybe not to some of you. Anyway, is there anything that needs to be axed right off the bat? Anything that should be upgraded to something else instead? Something that because of my tastes I should get as well?
I'm probably most worried about the Zombicide expansions and if they are even necessary. Also, does the upcoming King of New York just flat out replace King of Tokyo?

Lastly, what games would you recommend getting first or last?
I really, really want to get Betrayal at house on the hill when it becomes available in a month or so. Also I'm itching to get the Spartacus expansion.
I've read that Tannhauser is going out of print and should probably be picked up sooner than later?

Thanks for any help and if you read this whole thing, you are amazing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
My friends and I made a video about Splendor that I think turned out pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdjKru7Mg8

Self plug aside, I honestly don't like this game very much. It was nominated for the Spiel De Jares, but I find it's decisions to be pretty aimless. Anyone else played splendor? Chris loves it, but I feel like I'm on auto-pilot when I play this game.

Those chips tho...

Lets start with what I already own and enjoy:

Battlestar Galactica (base game) - You may consider Dead of Winter which is right around the corner. It basically improves on the BSG model and it does Zombies in a way that feels truer to the classics than say Zombicide where you just mow them down.
Spartacus (base game)
X-Wing Miniatures (two core sets and a lot of other ships)
Zombicide (base game)

Here is what I plan on getting, other than listing the X-Wing Minis because let's face it, I just buy all of them.

Spartacus: The Serpents and The Wolf (expansion)
Zombicide: Toxic City Mall (expansion)
Zombicide: Prison Outbreak (expansion)
Betrayal at house on the hill - As you said this is currently tough to find. Mansions of Madness may be worth looking at though I can't necessarily recommend it.
Memoir '44
Tannhauser + expansions
Bang! Dice
Jamaica
King of Tokyo + expansions
Legendary Marvel Deck Building Game + Dark City + Paint the Town Red
Level 7 Omega Protocol
BSG: Daybreak (expansion)
Castle Ravenloft
Legend of Drizzt- This essentially NEVER hits my table. I like it, but it occupies a weird space. A little too long and involved for my casual friends and a little too streamlined for my hardcore friends.
Eldritch Horror
51st State
Netrunner - Great game, but IMO it requires a lot of focus. You may love it as a magic player.
Werewolf and/or Resistance - If you are gonna buy werewolf, I recommend One Night Werewolf

In general, I always advise against buying frenzies. I wish I owned less games and played the ones I own more.

EDIT: Lotta good stuff on your list though.

fenners

You're buying too much at once. It won't all get played. Don't do it. Seriously. Don't do it.

:)

You don't need both Zombicide expansions (I own both) - there's enough game in the base set to last a while, the expansions make it more fiddly. If you /have/ to buy one, buy just Toxic Mall.

Tannhauser & 51st State are not worth investing in IMO. 51st State fell especially flat for me.

Castle Ravenloft & Legend of Drizzt - I prefer Zombicide. Friends have them & they never hit the table these days.

King of Tokyo is a lot of fun for a light filler, but there's no need to jump on all expansions at once. No idea about King of new york, sorry.

I wish I owned less games and played the ones I own more.

Indeed!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"This essentially NEVER hits my table. I like it, but it occupies a weird space. A little too long and involved for my casual friends and a little too streamlined for my hardcore friends."

I have so many games like this it's obscene. Honestly I find long games rarely ever worth buying. I like them but if I only ever play them once or twice a year, it's just not worth it.

I got a bunch of games I want to get rid of because of that, also if I dont play them for a while, I forget the giant rulebook worth of rules. Like many of FFG older games. Starcraft while I liked it, will probably never get played again, so to the pile it goes. I just hate shipping this stuff, got to see how craigslist works out for selling board games locally.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
I got a bunch of games I want to get rid of because of that, also if I dont play them for a while, I forget the giant rulebook worth of rules. Like many of FFG older games. Starcraft while I liked it, will probably never get played again, so to the pile it goes. I just hate shipping this stuff, got to see how craigslist works out for selling board games locally.

Well, if you decide to sell online, I may be interested, depending on what you have.

Thanks for the help and I'd appreciate more help and ideas too.

I admit that's a long list but also meant to he whittled down some.

And as I mentioned, I wouldn't by all of it too soon but over time as thought needed.

My friends and I made a video about Splendor that I think turned out pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdjKru7Mg8

Self plug aside, I honestly don't like this game very much. It was nominated for the Spiel De Jares, but I find it's decisions to be pretty aimless. Anyone else played splendor? Chris loves it, but I feel like I'm on auto-pilot when I play this game.

Those chips tho...
Saw that earlier. You guys are doing good work

As for Splendor thoughts, I posted my thoughts on it last week.
I played Splendor last night. I thought it was mechanically sound. It's easy to play, teach, and only plays in about 30 minutes. The problem is, it's too bland. While theme isn't the first priority in games for me, I do tend to gravitate to more thematic games on both sides, Euros and Ameritrash. Splendor is just completely void of theme and it bored me because of it. As far as I can tell I was using gens to buy beach chairs that generated me more rubies. Get enough beach chairs and King Henry would want to hang out with me.

So while I said this game's mechanics are sound they also are really basic and don't really give options for more complex actions. Take Carcassonne for instance, you have two actions to do. You must place a tile and you may place a guy. Very simple, but where you place the tile can effect where you place your guy. The simple mechanics offer a basis for very strategic and complex play. Splendor doesn't have that. It's either take gems, buy a card, or take a card for a future turn.

It's a solid game mechanically and it's technically not bad, it's just, for someone used to gaming it's a bore. Anyway, I would recommend this game to only the most casual of players.

Anybody else play it? Am I way off base here?

The tension wasn't there for me. I always felt like I had multiple "good" moves that missing out on grabbing a card never bothered me. Even the few times I feared that I will lose a big card I just grabbed it plus a wild chip, which is a good second prize. Also the nobles that you can grab are so balanced that, again, if I was working for one and someone else grabbed it I had another option that was only a card or two off. They aren't even worth different points so there is no need to get hung up on missing out on a noble.

As far as different strategies, I could see maybe rushing the high valued point cards to speed up to the end game, but you are still tied to only having 10 gems at a time. You can only get so far with that strategy before you need to slow down and buy the cheaper non point cards. I don't think it's a bad game. There is nothing broken with it's mechanics and the game does what it does well. I just find what it does boring.
It seems like it's crazy overhyped, especially after the SDJ nomination.

Tannhauser & 51st State are not worth investing in IMO. 51st State fell especially flat for me.
Yeah, 51st State isn't really that great. The New Era is an improvement on the 51st State system. However, even the New Era has it's problems, but it is a better game. So, if you really wanted to play a 51st State game grab the New Era instead.

I

sasimirobot

Got my import copy of "Skull", wow these are some beautiful beer coasters!!
8F9A3948.JPG

Great game, but again some of my friends just don't "get it", I think it has alot to do with attention span due to being "dude where is my pizza?" stoners. Lame...

Also got Formula D. I really don't know what to think of this game. If I was a 13 year old boy I might really dig it. I just don't see how a full grown man can bust this out in any real life situation that didn't involve other game nerds. I did quite enjoy it with a first grade after school program, ie. 6-7 year olds, so I guess it isn't a total loss...

Got my import copy of "Skull", wow these are some beautiful beer coasters!!
8F9A3948.JPG

Great game, but again some of my friends just don't "get it", I think it has alot to do with attention span due to being "dude where is my pizza?" stoners. Lame...

Also got Formula D. I really don't know what to think of this game. If I was a 13 year old boy I might really dig it. I just don't see how a full grown man can bust this out in any real life situation that didn't involve other game nerds. I did quite enjoy it with a first grade after school program, ie. 6-7 year olds, so I guess it isn't a total loss...
With Formula D, tell me you played with the advanced rules. It totally changes the game for the better.

Leunam

Love Formula D. My friends and I enjoy it so much we're going to run a full season with six people and advanced rules. I think the game needs at least four people though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm not a huge Formula D fan, but couldn't you level that criticism at nearly any thematic game? Formula D is at least racing and it looks decently nice and not super goofy.

The thing that gets to me about Formula D is that if you're trying to play well you really want to consider your different options, which involves lots of little counting of spaces like you're playing Sorry or something. I'm sure this gets better with experience but I just didn't like the game enough to pick up that experience. RoboRally will always be my go-to racing game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does anybody know of a good 2 player board game that isn't necessarily about beating the hell out of your opponent? Bonus points for it having a fantasy/sci-fi theme?

Me and the wife like playing games together, but she hates that I win all the time. I would love something we can play together, or something with light competitiveness like Arabian Nights.

sasimirobot

Does anybody know of a good 2 player board game that isn't necessarily about beating the hell out of your opponent? Bonus points for it having a fantasy/sci-fi theme?

Me and the wife like playing games together, but she hates that I win all the time. I would love something we can play together, or something with light competitiveness like Arabian Nights.

Pandemic? If you don't mind cards then Hanabi is a great "chill" 2 player game, good for couple bonding I would say...

AMUSIX

Seasons is competitive, but my wife and I have liked it a lot.
Pandemic or Forbidden Desert for co-op games.
Fury of Dracula (though it plays better with a few more people)
Sentinels of the Multiverse - with two people, you each play two heroes, so there's a lot to do...

WanderingWind

Pandemic? If you don't mind cards then Hanabi is a great "chill" 2 player game, good for couple bonding I would say...

Seasons is competitive, but my wife and I have liked it a lot.
Pandemic or Forbidden Desert for co-op games.
Fury of Dracula (though it plays better with a few more people)
Sentinels of the Multiverse - with two people, you each play two heroes, so there's a lot to do...

I'll take a look at these, thanks. Is Sentinels a Marvel game?

Sentinels is unrelated to anything. It has a indie comic feel to it as all the characters are made up and the art is done (poorly) in house.

If you and your wife are really into marvel check out legendary the marvel deck building game. It's mostly cooperative in that you can ignore the points at the end. It's one of my wife's favorites.

AMUSIX

I'll take a look at these, thanks. Is Sentinels a Marvel game?

No, not tied to any license, just a superhero game with it's own mythos of heroes, villains, and locations. However, the characters are pretty easily identifiable archetypes...you have your big hitter, your speedster, your gadget user, etc.

Just played three more rounds of it tonight, in fact.

Round 1: Unity (Forge), Fanatic (Zauriel), and Tachyon (Flash) against The Matriarch...we dominated. Got damn lucky with some draws, but Tachyon kept preventing the Matriarch from doing damage, and we were able to wipe out all of the birds over and over. Didn't hurt that Unity's mechs were doing 10 damage every turn, before buffs.

Round 2: Unity, Fanatic, and Mister Fixer (Iron Fist) against The Chairman (Kingpin). Got our asses handed to us. Beginning was a little rocky, and Unity had trouble getting her mechs out. Eventually we stabilized, putting three underbosses away and revealing the Chairman. Thought everything was going ok, until there was a prison break, and suddenly there were five underbosses on the table. At that point, we were doomed.

Round 3: Haka (Black Panther), Legacy (Captain America), and Chrono-Ranger (Jonah Hex) against the Plague Rat (Killer Croc?). This was a bit more balanced, but a lot of damage was going around the table, partially due to the number of buffs in play increasing all the damage. Chrono-Ranger kept getting hurt pretty badly, and, in the end, died right before Haka and Legacy both unleashed hell, each doing about 20 damage, and killing Plague Rat.

Faiz

Yeah I really wonder if there even is a way of making a good "gaming" table as opposed to just a good table. We have a Calligaris table that's extendable and I really wouldn't ever want to swap it out for anything else. A lot of the features I see on GC are just specific to certain games or have these storage features that I don't see as being very useful unless you really just play the same one or two games.

The biggest thing for me is the dropped inner surface - what GC calls the vault. Can't tell you how many times we've needed to go to bed but too scared to leave the table uncovered for fear of the cats mucking it up over night. Not to mention having a game going, while needing to use the table for something else.

Everything else I think there are tons of other easy solutions, while perhaps not as elegant, are so much more affordable as to make it a non-issue.

WanderingWind

Sentinels is unrelated to anything. It has a indie comic feel to it as all the characters are made up and the art is done (poorly) in house.

If you and your wife are really into marvel check out legendary the marvel deck building game. It's mostly cooperative in that you can ignore the points at the end. It's one of my wife's favorites.

I'm like blindrocket in that I'm a Magic: The Gathering nerd, so I'm trying to avoid any further card-based games. We're looking for a dice rolling type thing. She likes swords and sorcery stuff, so I'm hoping to find something along those lines.

Chorazin

I'm like blindrocket in that I'm a Magic: The Gathering nerd, so I'm trying to avoid any further card-based games. We're looking for a dice rolling type thing. She likes swords and sorcery stuff, so I'm hoping to find something along those lines.

Pathfinder Adventure Game maybe? It has cards, but there is a lot of die rolling. It's like 1/3 pen and paper RPG, 1/3 deckbuilder, and 1/3 die roller.

Faiz

Dice Tower has a preview of D&D Attack Wing with Eric Summerer.

Like the presence of ground units, but as expected the Wiz Kids minis are pretty underwhelming. Maybe production will look better but I'm not holding my breath.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Let me hear some of you guys suggestions for the very best games for 3 people. We like heavy stuff so don't be afraid to list whatever lol

Phthisis

Let me hear some of you guys suggestions for the very best games for 3 people. We like heavy stuff so don't be afraid to list whatever lol

Trieste is a card game for exclusively three players that I find very enjoyable. One person plays the role of a guild of thieves, one is the city watch, and one is the coalition of city merchants.

Each turn, every player secretly chooses a card and then everyone reveals together. You then resolve the cards in the following order: city watch, merchants, thieves.

In broad general terms, the thieves win if they manage to steal cards from the merchant's hand a certain number of times. The merchant wins if he fills his hand of cards with money and wealth (which is a variable number based on how many thieves the city watch is able to successfully catch). The city watch wins by catching a certain number of thieves before they can steal anything.

It's got a really nice design, where two of the three factions are always trying to work together to stop the other from running away with the game, but backstabbing will occur when victory is within sight.

Game plays in about 30-45 minutes and is very easy to learn.

Alternative to that, if you like heavy, anything in the COIN series is really good for 3-4 players. The gameplay design is spectacular; never have I played a more perfect expression of political theme through mechanics. I like Andean Abyss the best, but Cuba Libre is the most accessible, and A Distant Plain has the most interesting faction mechanics. Fire in the Lake comes out next month, and by all accounts it's supposed to be the biggest, most ciomplex, (and best) COIN game.

AMUSIX

Ticket to Ride: The Nordic Countries....yeah, it's technically a light game, but gets majorly cutthroat

Caverna...a worker placement/resource gathering game. Not sure why I like it so much, but it just clicks nicely (Viticulture is the same type of game that would also work)

Pandemic...world is going to hell, you just need to stop it

Lords of Waterdeep...another worker placement, in the D&D universe. Works very, very well with 3

Powergrid...an economy game...rule complexity is ridiculous at first, but if all three people know what they're doing, the game is excellent

I'd also put Sentinels of the Multiverse in this list as well...see above posts

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Debating whether to keep Splendor in my Netrunner Upstalk preorder or swap in something else is really though. People seem to be either through the roof about this as a gateway game (and I always have room for those) or think it's just a boring autopilot euro that has no real utility other than having pretty pieces.

----

In other news, I've quite enjoyed the 3-4 games of Pandante I've played. It's basically Texas Hold 'Em with special Panda powers that can be played in <30m. Unlike hold 'em you can only bet 2 per round so there's a lot more incentive to stay in and you get rewarded hugely for either bluffing your way to victory or for getting called out on a non-bluff. Quite fun once all the ridiculous panda-themed nomenclature grows on you.

Slacker

Eclipse works well with three and is on the heavier side.

Ticket to Ride: The Nordic Countries....yeah, it's technically a light game, but gets majorly cutthroat

Powergrid...an economy game...rule complexity is ridiculous at first, but if all three people know what they're doing, the game is excellent

I would add Ticket to Ride: Switzerland too. Works awesome with two or three.

And I don't find the rules to Power Grid overly complicated, but the rule book is laid out where you basically have to read it backwards to understand how to set up and run a game. I suggest the host familiarizes himself with the rules then uses this step-by-step summary sheet to remember everything while playing. It makes the game a lot easier to run.

Debating whether to keep Splendor in my Netrunner Upstalk preorder or swap in something else is really though. People seem to be either through the roof about this as a gateway game (and I always have room for those) or think it's just a boring autopilot euro that has no real utility other than having pretty pieces.

I'm having the same debate on Splendor. I would have picked it up a few days ago had my FLGS had it in stock. In the days since then I think I've talked myself out of it. I did pick up Quantum thanks to you guys and SUSD though, so I'm looking forward to getting that on the table soon. Unfortunately I seem to be one of the many who got greasy dice with their copy so I'm going to see about getting them cleaned up tonight. If not I'll be bothering the publisher for replacements.

Top Bottom